Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Did I make a bad choice?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Did I make a bad choice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-13, 09:58 PM
Mannas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did I make a bad choice?

So I had a Fuji Roubaix 3.0 for about 6 months or so. It was bright white and was a great road bike but I was never a fan of the color. It was also my first road bike. I sold it with the intention of buying the newer model because I really liked the bike. In the meantime I found the Diamondback Insight 1 "performance hybrid" (I take that last part with a grain of salt). It was about half the price of the Fuji. I am not doing any racing or anything major. I really just want to get out and ride on the road and greenways, get in better shape and lose weight. I know the components are lower on the Insight but I really liked it. I liked the more upright position as well as the stability. Have never been a fan of the drop bars. It feels more stable and not as rough of a ride with a little wider tires but doesn't feel big or heavy.

Did I make a bad decision? I thought it would be better to buy a cheaper bike for now and if I get serious then look again at a road bike. The only thing is I might like to ride the Insight for a charity ride every now and then for about 30 miles and aside from that put about 20 miles or so on it on the weekends. Do people ride hybrids in charity rides? I don't want to get the look from people on road bikes. I rode today and got a couple looks when I was riding. Then again I know that will always be the case with anything. I know the Fuji is a better quality bike and the price is worth it but did I get a bike that will be decent quality and cover what I need for a year or two?

Old 12-15-13, 10:12 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I have no idea what is a charity ride, but I've done 30 miles on many many occasions. My bike isn't a performance hybrid either, it's basically a mountain bike without suspension and 700x42 street tires.
Old 12-15-13, 11:16 PM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know much about the Diamondback bike brand and never rode one, I would have gone with the big bike makers cause they probably can be resold easier. But that's not to say you don't lose just as much resale wise since Specialized, Cannondale, Trek cost more than Fuji, Diamondback generally. Personally I find Giant bikes to be the best value/performance for the dollar. I would have gone with them except all the 13 sale models are gone.
Old 12-16-13, 05:54 AM
curly666

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Robaix, Specialized Carmel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're going to get "the look" no matter what bike you ride, that's just the way it is in the biking world, just get over it and enjoy your ride.

Last edited by curly666; 12-16-13 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-16-13, 08:41 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Think of it this way, I'm riding a Walmart Mongoose full suspension mountain bike, your Diamondback is like a Porsche to my Chevy

I live out in the middle of nowhere in no one has money rural Pennsylvania and ride on a rails-to-trails path. I don't see many folks, but pretty much the only 2 bikes I see are Diamondback and Trek hybrids. It all depends on how much money you have. I am trying for a Giant Escape next year, but there's a very good chance I could be on a Diamondback.
Old 12-16-13, 10:53 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
You made a good choice - ride it often, and enjoy.

Also, it will make a great backup/utility bike, if and when you ever decide you need another newer bike..........
Old 12-16-13, 11:13 AM
deerfly

Bikes: 2012 Marin Rock Springs, 2012 Trek 8.3 DS, 2013 Cannondale Quick SL2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had bought my daughter an Insight 1 from Nashbar last spring. It's not top quality but for the price, I was impressed with how it is put together. The big name brands don't come close to the same bang for the buck.
Not sure where you are from but around here we see a large assortment of bikes on the road, even at charity rides. People don't really care what you are riding and I am sure you will see many others with similar bikes. Ride it and enjoy it.
Old 12-16-13, 02:35 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I ride my Giant hybrid everywhere. It can easily do 30 miles. I've ridden in numerous group rides with road bikes. Some of them look at me funny. Some of them are jerks. The others are impressed that I'm able to keep up on a slower bike.

I also have a cheap used road bike. I plan to ride it in the MS150 (charity ride) next year. Of the two I have more fun on the hybrid, and it's certainly more versatile.
Old 12-16-13, 02:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
It's just a frame painted with some color with a brand name on it.

with a bunch of parts attached , of a particular cost..

don't over-think it.

the stem you choose will alter the fit, it is an interchangeable part.

your LBS will help you sort out parts changes ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-16-13 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-16-13, 02:57 PM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You pretty much answered your questions with these quotes. You have a good set of goals and this bike will suit you very well. You like the way it feels and you like the way it rides, that is all that matters.
Never worry about what some snob thinks of your bike.

Originally Posted by Mannas
I am not doing any racing or anything major. I really just want to get out and ride on the road and greenways, get in better shape and lose weight. I know the components are lower on the Insight but I really liked it. I liked the more upright position as well as the stability. Have never been a fan of the drop bars. It feels more stable and not as rough of a ride with a little wider tires but doesn't feel big or heavy.
Old 12-17-13, 12:16 AM
Mannas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you all for your help. Everyone had good points. I am very happy with the bike and think this sums it up well:

Originally Posted by aubiecat
You pretty much answered your questions with these quotes. You have a good set of goals and this bike will suit you very well. You like the way it feels and you like the way it rides, that is all that matters.
Never worry about what some snob thinks of your bike.
As well as this:

Originally Posted by fietsbob
It's just a frame painted with some color with a brand name on it.

with a bunch of parts attached , of a particular cost..

don't over-think it.
Old 12-17-13, 03:22 PM
Dustygirl01

Bikes: Mongoose Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll be fine at a charity ride with that bike, and you'll be having more fun because you'll be comfortable.
Old 12-17-13, 06:13 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I want to believe that 'the look' that is being spoken here, is just everyone's imagination. The only time Ive experienced 'the look is on these bike forums (cyber bullies)
Out on the road in the real world, I can't imagine it exists. I've never seen or experienced it in all the years I've been acually cycling.
Old 12-19-13, 06:48 PM
Jimbo47

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Diamond back brand bikes have been around a pretty long time, and originated on the west coast.
I bought my Insight II about two years ago after doing a lot of research and comparisons on components and my bike had the same or better components like aluminum fork and Alivio RDR and FDR as well as crankset. It compared to Treks and others that were around $200 more with the same components. The frames are built by the same manufacturer that builds frames for several other well known brands. They did change the components with lower end for the Insight II, right after I bought mine in 2010, but I would still say they are very well made bikes for the money.
It's been a solid bike and I haven't had any problems, and have worn out two sets of tires and around 2000 miles. The tires and brake pads (noisey) are something you may want to upgrade before you do any serious rides though. I've got Continental city rides on my bike and they are great.
Enjoy and when you get "the look" just give it right back!

Last edited by Jimbo47; 12-19-13 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-20-13, 02:08 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
As long as you enjoy riding it, you didn't make a bad choice! Don't worry about what others think of you or the type of bike you're on, the only thing that matters is that you're out there having a good time!

When I bought my Raleigh Detour back mid-April, I had a tight budget and have had many thoughts of buyers' remorse ever since but looking back at the mileage I put on it over the summer (over 1,000 miles! Much more than I would have attempted on my former $30 secondhand mountain bike), I'm more than satisfied with my purchase.
Old 12-21-13, 11:52 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some cyclists do centuries on cheaper hybrids than your Diamondback... I'd say you're in good shape!
Old 12-25-13, 08:16 PM
mrtuttle04

Bikes: Trek Verve 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mannas
Do people ride hybrids in charity rides?
The short answer to this question is yes. This year I rode my hybrid on a 30 mile Tour de Cure ride and I will probably do the 50 mile ride next year. I saw other hybrids as well as mountain bikes and comfort bikes. I even saw a couple of recumbants. I cannot speak about other charity rides but for the Tour-De-Cure it is not about the bike or speed. It is about raising money to help those who have Diabetes.
Old 12-26-13, 08:42 AM
Italia1970

Bikes: Trek FX 7.7 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
live and learn
Old 12-26-13, 08:49 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
I want to believe that 'the look' that is being spoken here, is just everyone's imagination. The only time Ive experienced 'the look is on these bike forums (cyber bullies)
Out on the road in the real world, I can't imagine it exists. I've never seen or experienced it in all the years I've been acually cycling.
I've been given "the look". When I showed up for my first group ride I was the only one there on a hybrid. The organizers of the ride tried to politely tell me that I wouldn't be able to keep up. They suggested I come to the beginner's loop ride instead.
Old 12-30-13, 07:07 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The difference between any two bikes, performance wise, is small.
In my tri club we have people riding along with mountain bikes now since it's winter.
these guys have no problem doing 70 miles at an average of 17 mph keeping up with the rest of the pack on racy roadbikes.
They sometimes even take the lead and I quote: "to get a better workout".
More than 90% of the difference is in the rider, not the bike ... so unless you're racing and aiming for those few percents extra ... ride whatever you feel like.
Old 12-30-13, 12:26 PM
WebFootFreak

Bikes: Modified Denali

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
I would say you are just fine... so long as YOU are happy with what you have. If you enjoy riding that bike enough to get out and do your 20-mile weekends and occasional group rides, then ride it until it rusts out from under you. Let others think what they will.
Old 12-30-13, 01:48 PM
themishmosh

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Charity rides are usually pretty low key. You have all types participate. You go at your own pace but typically it's relaxed. Do some good, and have some fun--that's what it's all about.