Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to road bike from hybrid?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Upgrade to road bike from hybrid?

Old 02-07-14, 07:56 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by KonaRider125
Howdy, new member here and new to the sport of cycling. I bought a Kona Splice hybrid bike about 6 months ago and I am really enjoying it and have caught the cycling bug. I've been getting in better shape and going for longer and longer rides, all on paved roads. I am thinking I made a wrong choice getting a hybrid and should have bought a full on road bike. My question is this, will I get a significant advantage in cycling efficiency going to a mid range quality road bike? My primary uses are 20-40 mile rides a couple times a week, and more if I have the time.

As I said, very new to this sport and I would like to get more into it and have the best bike for me.

Thoughts, opinions, and advice greatly appreciated.
I was exactly where you are about a year ago, bought a road bike, and haven't looked back since. My hybrid now sits idle 90% of the time, and only gets used for slow rides with the wife or runs to the grocery store (it has a rack). I LOVE my road bike, and routinely ride distances and speeds that I'd never ride on the hybrid. This spring I'm starting to race, and will be riding a few centuries. THAT wouldn't have happened on the hybrid.

Come to the dark side, we have cookies!

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 02-07-14, 09:22 AM
KonaRider125

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceHankins
Unclip a while before you come to a full stop. And try not to be too embarrassed when you don't make it and fall over. Everybody does it. I was lucky and nobody was around to see the 2 times I did it.
I'll keep that in mind. I went with the Shimano Click R system, which is supposed to be good for newbs. Will make sure to do some practice before getting out on the roads.
Old 02-07-14, 09:24 AM
KonaRider125

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Come to the dark side, we have cookies!

BB
I will at some point, the guys have convinced me my hybrid is "good enough" for now. I'll save some money for a nice road bike, and spend plenty of time researching/learning before I make the jump.
Old 02-07-14, 10:41 AM
AdelaaR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
I LOVE my road bike, and routinely ride distances and speeds that I'd never ride on the hybrid.
Good for you, but this is more about you loving your new bike than it is about your new bike's abilities versus other bikes.
In my tri club we have guys riding along with group rides doing 100+ kilometers at 27+ km/h ... on their mountainbikes!
Old 02-07-14, 10:57 AM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by AdelaaR
Good for you, but this is more about you loving your new bike than it is about your new bike's abilities versus other bikes.
In my tri club we have guys riding along with group rides doing 100+ kilometers at 27+ km/h ... on their mountainbikes!
And there's a guy near here who puts a few hundred miles a week on a steel framed banana seat bike pulling a trailer with a giant flagpole attached and American flag flying from it.

There's a reason they call them "road bikes". Sure, I could enter my Jeep in a road race, or take a sports car down a muddy road, but bikes are generally best suited for specific purposes, even if some extraordinary individuals do ride them in other situations.

If someone wants to cover lots of miles fast, a road bike is the ticket. If someone wants to ride trails, a MTB is the way to go. Hybrids are great for general purpose bikes, and will certainly handle both roads and trails, but if you really want performance on either end of the specurum, you're better off with a bike intended for those conditions.

Old 02-07-14, 04:31 PM
dr1445

Bikes: jamis 2002 komodo, univega aplina uno, miele toscana 300, 1972 puch brigadier, Marin Sausalito

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Glad to hear my hybrid is cause of all to road bikes passing me like I am standing still on the flats and not my 69 years. I was getting worried that I might be slowing down.
Old 02-08-14, 11:54 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
...there's will always be "roadies" who will insist on beating anybody down who has the temerity to question the "supremacy" of the almighty road bike...
Old 02-09-14, 01:31 AM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a hybrid and a road bike.
If someone forced me to only have one bike for the rest of my life out of the 2 bike styles, I would choose hybrid. Its just more fun to me where I ride.
I live in one of the biggest cities in the States and often go from sidewalk to jumping a curb to back to the busy road.
A hybrid is more nimble due to the higher and wider bar and being more upright. It fun for crowded urban areas. I simply bought my road bike to get some variety, I don't think I will go any faster than my hybrid. The drop position is pretty cool, I pretend I'm going faster than I really am in the position.
After a week on the Defy, I feel most hybrid riders will be happier on a Synapse or Roubaix, the Defy is borderline racy geometry. The only thing holding it back is the wheelbase feels too long.
Old 02-09-14, 09:07 AM
BruceHankins

Bikes: Shogun 400 ('83), Kuwahara Newport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I had to choose also, I'd choose my MTB/Hybrid. It allows for much more conditions and is just more all around fun. I would put drops on it though (and I'm trying to anyway) just because I prefer the increased hand positions and it's more comfortable for me.
Old 02-09-14, 10:03 PM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by trainchaser
...there's will always be "roadies" who will insist on beating anybody down who has the temerity to question the "supremacy" of the almighty road bike...
Clearly that's the only reason anyone would ever suggest a road bike designed for speed and distance might be a good bike for someone who wants to ride long distances fast. Couldn't me a matter of matching your gear to the task at hand. Nope, gotta be something personal.

Old 02-10-14, 09:33 AM
KonaRider125

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The clip less pedals make things much easier, anyone thinking about getting them, do it! I did my first 30 mile ride yesterday with them and had no issues. The Shimano Click R system is very easy to click in and out of.
Old 02-10-14, 05:09 PM
BruceHankins

Bikes: Shogun 400 ('83), Kuwahara Newport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job. Glad your happy with your new pedals.
Old 02-11-14, 01:02 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That's the first I hear of those click'R's.
They seem like a good choice for a hybrid.