Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New test: 12 aero frames vs 12 light frames, over ~4.25 hours

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New test: 12 aero frames vs 12 light frames, over ~4.25 hours

Old 02-20-14, 08:27 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
How many of you idiots participate in 4+ hour long RACES?

Oh, NONE of you?

Carry on.
I did a race once that took 4:45.

Well, took me 4:45. The winner finished in 3:17. He must have had carbon wheels or something.
Old 02-20-14, 08:30 AM
AdelaaR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Its still B.S. Reach for that water bottle...lift your head for half a second, look back for half a second.....poof, your aero gain is gone.
People without aero frames are also reaching for their bottles, lifting their heads and looking back ... so the advantage of the aero is still there whether you like it or not
I'm pretty sure reaching for your bottle 20 times in 4 hours will not lose you 2 minutes, btw, as that would mean you'd lose 6 seconds each time.
Old 02-20-14, 08:31 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by canam73
I did a race once that took 4:45.

Well, took me 4:45. The winner finished in 3:17. He must have had carbon wheels or something.
He probably won because of his aero face.
Old 02-20-14, 08:34 AM
canam73

Originally Posted by AdelaaR
He probably won because of his aero face.
Maybe:

It says aero right on his shirt.
Old 02-20-14, 09:13 AM
canam73

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
At 63 years old, I was happy to have any minimal aero advantage provided during the 112 miles during my 2013 Ironman Florida, and I attribute that advantage to me being able to pass hundreds of younger riders on much more expensive bikes.

BTW, my Ironman took me 13:31:28 to complete, so a little more than 4 hours, using my fuzzy math.
Ok, some real world perspective. Let's take this a bit further (even though for Ironman Florida you would probably want an actual TT bike, not road frame).

But if the test found a 2.5 minute advantage in 4:20, and this was what, a 6-7 hour ride I'll round up to an even 5. Take a look at the results. That would move you up what, 20 spots? 30? 50? I think it's not hundreds or even 100. And this is somewhere in a pack of a few thousand and only do to having a faster bike, nothing to do with effort either on course or in training.

If that does something for you, ok, I won't argue that you are wrong. I'm sure you would think some things I spend money on are silly, too. But I hope you are realistic about it.

Originally Posted by AdelaaR
People without aero frames are also reaching for their bottles, lifting their heads and looking back ... so the advantage of the aero is still there whether you like it or not
I'm pretty sure reaching for your bottle 20 times in 4 hours will not lose you 2 minutes, btw, as that would mean you'd lose 6 seconds each time.
Now, for both of you:

I glanced at this earlier before the test article and some other posts were deleted. If I read it correctly, the S5 was rated the worst riding and worst handling bike in the lot. That is something that wouldn't show up in the wind tunnel test but I could see it losing you time. Especially in a longer race when fatigue becomes a major factor. Obviously it's effect would be on a course to course basis, but I certainly do not want to ride a bike 4-7 hours that is poor riding and handling. Whether it's a race or training, I ride because I enjoy it, and I want to enjoy the bike I'm on. What makes you sure and S5 would actually give you a net advantage when all aspects of riding are considered?
Old 02-20-14, 09:46 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What makes you sure and S5 would actually give you a net advantage when all aspects of riding are considered?
Nothing does.
Good point.
As I said somewhere before: "depending on the course"
Old 02-20-14, 10:34 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Ok, some real world perspective. Let's take this a bit further (even though for Ironman Florida you would probably want an actual TT bike, not road frame).

But if the test found a 2.5 minute advantage in 4:20, and this was what, a 6-7 hour ride I'll round up to an even 5. Take a look at the results. That would move you up what, 20 spots? 30? 50? I think it's not hundreds or even 100. And this is somewhere in a pack of a few thousand and only do to having a faster bike, nothing to do with effort either on course or in training.

If that does something for you, ok, I won't argue that you are wrong. I'm sure you would think some things I spend money on are silly, too. But I hope you are realistic about it.

Now, for both of you:

I glanced at this earlier before the test article and some other posts were deleted. If I read it correctly, the S5 was rated the worst riding and worst handling bike in the lot. That is something that wouldn't show up in the wind tunnel test but I could see it losing you time. Especially in a longer race when fatigue becomes a major factor. Obviously it's effect would be on a course to course basis, but I certainly do not want to ride a bike 4-7 hours that is poor riding and handling. Whether it's a race or training, I ride because I enjoy it, and I want to enjoy the bike I'm on. What makes you sure and S5 would actually give you a net advantage when all aspects of riding are considered?
I edited my post with 5:50 for my 112 miles. As far as an aero advantage for all the experts, my choice of bike was after riding others some of which were more expensive and by many here the bikes of choice. The Propel just worked with my riding style and felt great to me. One has to be reminded that after a 2.4 mile swim and a 112 mile TT, there is still a 26.2 mile bone jarring road running/jogging/walking distance to be undertaken and coming off a comfortable and fast bike is extremely important.

The hundreds passed by me were all those who exited the water well in advance of my very poor swimming abilities.

The Propel Advanced SL is a wonderful frame and it would seem that so far there are some Pros who like it for the 2014 racing season.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...teamsriders/6/
Old 02-20-14, 03:43 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
At 63 years old, I was happy to have any minimal aero advantage provided during the 112 miles during my 2013 Ironman Florida, and I attribute that advantage to me being able to pass hundreds of younger riders on much more expensive bikes.

BTW, my Ironman took me 13:31:28 to complete, 5:50 biking, so a little more than 4.25 hours, using my fuzzy math.
OTG,
What was your average speed?....Climbing?....weather conditions?
Old 02-20-14, 04:10 PM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
How often is a major bike race won by more than 2.5 minutes? 2.5 minutes is very significant over any distance IF IT IS REAL. But what was the method? I can't yet get through the links to the test information. One rider on each bike one time or different riders? What about wind differences, fitness to ride on the given days? I am just guessing, but I bet you would need ten runs on each bike to have anything close to a statistically valid test. And the rider could not have a clock or communication with anyone keeping track of his time or else the results would be meaningless. And then you would have likely enough overlap of the standard deviations that most of the results would not be statistically different. Maybe the extremes, but not much else would be really different. In other words the apparent differences would not be reliably true. This could just be faux science.

How do you get to the experimental descriptions? Do you need to use a phone app?
bike racing isn't a solo sport. you don't gain 2.5mins on your competition by riding an aero bike
Old 02-20-14, 04:27 PM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My power meter isnt even accurate to less than 1%...lol.
Old 02-20-14, 04:37 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
OTG,
What was your average speed?....Climbing?....weather conditions?
IMFL, Panama City Beach considered fast because of minimal elevation change but we had 15/20 mph winds that day. As I mentioned elsewhere, Andrew Starykowicz completed the 112 miles in 4:02:17. Expecting to knock 30+ minutes off in this year's IMFL bike unless I am one of the 100 lucky Kona World Championship lottery entry winners.

My actual bike moving time was 5:43:26 for 19.4mph average and unlike many others, I did not draft.

Originally Posted by ovoleg
bike racing isn't a solo sport. you don't gain 2.5mins on your competition by riding an aero bike
Can help on a solo breakaway.
Old 02-20-14, 04:53 PM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Solo breakaway's are super rare in the local races I've seen. The few times that I've heard of it happening, the rider was above the category level to begin with and it doesnt matter that he had an aero frame and you dont, you simply got DROPPED.

You won't pull away from me by having a 5-20 W advantage. I gain more than that drafting you.

One of my teammates attacked in a cat3 and held it off for a full lap(12 miles) in a HILLY RR. Aero frame or not, he was going to drop everyone.
Old 02-20-14, 07:33 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Actually these are the most aerodynamic bicycles: https://www.aerovelo.com/2013/10/11/b...video-journal/ 70mph on flat ground.
Old 02-20-14, 09:17 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,461 Posts
Seriously, testing done by a magazine**********?

If you want aero testing done, you go to the PROS as in https://www.aero-ce.com/en/pages/accueil.html.

Giant went there for independent testing with results showing their Propel Advanced SL did not surpass in all categories.
I can't tell if you're joking. An independent magazine isn't a good source for testing? But Giant paying to have tests done and they come out good is?
Old 02-20-14, 09:27 PM
canam73

Originally Posted by StanSeven
I can't tell if you're joking. An independent magazine isn't a good source for testing? But Giant paying to have tests done and they come out good is?
Yeah, but it was corroborated by the pro riders on Team Giant also liking the bikes.
Old 02-21-14, 05:37 AM
zvez

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace,2014 Specialized S-Works Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why no Felts?

Originally Posted by 531Aussie
I just saw this in Cervelo's Twitter

https://twitter.com/cervelo/status/4...501826/photo/1

It's only the results; I gather the full article with all the parameters will soon be on https://tour-int.com/

According to the Twitter comments on Cervelo's link, the difference between the best and worst aero frame is less that 1% of time difference over ~4hrs19m.

The table is a little larger on this link:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgxtmnTIgAAlJoJ.jpg:large

In bold are the "non-aero" frames

4:17:11 Cervelo S5
4:17:34 Merida Reacto EVO
4:17:51 BMC Time Machine TMRO1
4:18:01 Giant Propel Advanced SLO
4:18:02 Specialized S-Works Venge
4:18:06 Simplon Nexico
4:18:18 Scott Foil Team
4:18:25 Cervelo R5
4:18:29 Canyon Aeroad CF
4:18:33 Neil Pryde Bura S1
4:18:37 Scott Addict SL
4:18:45 Neil Pryde Alize
4:18:46 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
4:18:48 Giant TCR Advanced SL
4:18:52 Ridley Noah Fast
4:18:54 BMC Time Machine SLR 01
4:18:56 Rose Xeon CW-8800
4:18:57 Simplon Pavo 3
4:19:04 Storck Fascenario 0.6
4:19:05 Storck Aerario
4:19:07 Specialized S-Works Tarmac
4:19:12 Ridley Helium SL
4:19:27 Rose Xeon CR5
4:19:42 Merida Scultura CF Team

Old 02-21-14, 06:30 AM
canam73

Originally Posted by zvez
Why no Felts?
This is a guess, but Tour is a German magazine and being a USA company that not longer sponsors a UCI pro team Felt may not have a large enough presence there to warrant inclusion. Just as a US magazine would probably test Felt but leave out the Canyon and a couple other makes that aren't commonly available over here.
Old 02-21-14, 08:07 AM
zvez

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace,2014 Specialized S-Works Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the explanation!

This is a guess, but Tour is a German magazine and being a USA company that not longer sponsors a UCI pro team Felt may not have a large enough presence there to warrant inclusion. Just as a US magazine would probably test Felt but leave out the Canyon and a couple other makes that aren't commonly available over here.
Old 02-21-14, 08:19 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
IMFL, Panama City Beach considered fast because of minimal elevation change but we had 15/20 mph winds that day. As I mentioned elsewhere, Andrew Starykowicz completed the 112 miles in 4:02:17. Expecting to knock 30+ minutes off in this year's IMFL bike unless I am one of the 100 lucky Kona World Championship lottery entry winners.

My actual bike moving time was 5:43:26 for 19.4mph average and unlike many others, I did not draft.

Thanks. Andy's speed for that distance is unfathomable. Amazing rider.
Congrats on the race OTG.
Old 02-21-14, 10:12 AM
ovoleg