Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek "highend" hybrids are a complete joke!

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 07-09-16, 01:43 PM
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!

Bikes: Custom Giant Anyroad Flatbar, Custom Raw Steel Raleigh XXIX SS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First off, I'm sorry if this post offends anyone that owns one of the higher end hybrids from Trek. This in only my opinion from what I have seen in the industry.

I found myself on the Trek website today after seeing a Trek 7.7 listed on CL for what I consider an obscene asking price for a 3 year old hybrid. I know I can't blame Trek for what some yahoo tries to sell his used bike for (or can I?), but really Trek? What the heck are you thinking with the upper end of the FX lineup?

Trek now has a 7.9 FX that is based on the Domane frame. List price is $2499.99. WTF? Seriously? The bike is really nothing special with 105 components and cheap wheels.

This is the marketing babble on the Trek website on the 7.9 FX page:

FX is fitness simplified. It offers a best-of-both-worlds combination of road bike speed and city bike comfort and versatility. It’s a perfect fitness bike, and so much more.

FX is fast, fun, and agile enough for a multitude of uses. From fitness and commuting to errands and mellow Sunday loops, you’ll find your new favorite ride on FX.

By way of comparison and for $500 less money the Specialized Sirrus Expert carbon absolutely kicks it's ass! It also has 105 components and REAL hybrid geometry, hydraulic disc brakes, and room for larger tires that truly makes it versatile.

I'm sorry Trek, but what exactly are the "multitude of uses" you reference for the 7.9? Yeah, it's a good fitness bike but city bike comfort? Ummmm.... Nope. Commuting? Are you freakin' nuts? On 25mm tires on those parts bin wheels? No thanks! And doesn't commuting often involve riding in inclement weather unless you happen to live in SoCal? So you expect someone to ride through puddles through the city and not get killed (when they try and stop with rim brakes) by the teenaged girl driving while texting or the idiot that's not completely paying attention?

And now lets go down one model and discuss the 7.7 FX at $1889.99. Again.... WTF? Seriously? It's just a Madone frame with Tiagra components. What a complete joke! Again, bargin bin wheelset, no room for larger tires, no disc brakes, and not even close to comfortable geometry.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see the value in any of these offerings from Trek. When are they going make the move into this decade and offer a decent (carbon) hybrid with disc brakes and room for larger tires?
Old 07-09-16, 02:57 PM
gemini

Bikes: Trek Allant 7.2, Trek Soho S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monstermash
I'm sorry Trek, but what exactly are the "multitude of uses" you reference for the 7.9?
For the record, the marketing babble is the same for all FX models.

I imagine setting up and tooling the production of a carbon frame is expensive, so they chose to hang the components on the Domane frame and call it a hybrid. I agree that it's not really what most people would expect from something labeled "hybrid". I have absolutely no idea what Trek's markup on these things is, but it might be that the frame really is expensive to make (and that there's a steep markup on top of that).

Last edited by gemini; 07-10-16 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-09-16, 04:04 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I agree with you. I was looking at the higher end hybrids on websites recently and the Trek versions were very over-priced compared to Giant and Specialized.
Old 07-09-16, 06:13 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 117 Posts
In this price range, would people really look at hybrids? I would assume and maybe incorrectly that most hybrid owners want something that is of reasonable cost and not afraid to lock it up at a local eatery.

Don't know about anyone else, but this bike's cost would make me not want to take it out for a ride out of fear of damaging it or having it stolen. Which kind of is the exact opposite of what a hybrid is meant to be as a get out and do it all type of bike.
Old 07-09-16, 06:30 PM
Bike Life

Bikes: 1989 Trek 950 MTB, 1991 Schwinn Crosscut, 2015 Trek 520,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think those FX bikes are good looking but didn't know they cost so much. I suppose there are less expensive models but then the components would be even cheaper. Do all the FX series use the same wheel set?
Old 07-09-16, 07:32 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I had never looked at the FX series but now that I have I have to agree with the OP. Looking at Trek.com and comparing the Domane to the FX, $1899 buys the Domane 4.3 with 5800 where the same money only buys a Tiagra 10 speed with flat bars in the FX 7.7. That alone should be a $300 downgrade, IMO.
Old 07-10-16, 02:42 AM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Hybids are usually used for short rides or rough roads or trails

with the 1,800 dollar to 2,500 dollar hybrids you can do centuries and do a fair job of keeping up with most people
Old 07-10-16, 03:09 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Monstermash
First off, I'm sorry if this post offends anyone that owns one of the higher end hybrids from Trek. This in only my opinion from what I have seen in the industry.

I found myself on the Trek website today after seeing a Trek 7.7 listed on CL for what I consider an obscene asking price for a 3 year old hybrid. I know I can't blame Trek for what some yahoo tries to sell his used bike for (or can I?), but really Trek? What the heck are you thinking with the upper end of the FX lineup?

Trek now has a 7.9 FX that is based on the Domane frame. List price is $2499.99. WTF? Seriously? The bike is really nothing special with 105 components and cheap wheels.

This is the marketing babble on the Trek website on the 7.9 FX page:

FX is fitness simplified. It offers a best-of-both-worlds combination of road bike speed and city bike comfort and versatility. It’s a perfect fitness bike, and so much more.

FX is fast, fun, and agile enough for a multitude of uses. From fitness and commuting to errands and mellow Sunday loops, you’ll find your new favorite ride on FX.

By way of comparison and for $500 less money the Specialized Sirrus Expert carbon absolutely kicks it's ass! It also has 105 components and REAL hybrid geometry, hydraulic disc brakes, and room for larger tires that truly makes it versatile.

I'm sorry Trek, but what exactly are the "multitude of uses" you reference for the 7.9? Yeah, it's a good fitness bike but city bike comfort? Ummmm.... Nope. Commuting? Are you freakin' nuts? On 25mm tires on those parts bin wheels? No thanks! And doesn't commuting often involve riding in inclement weather unless you happen to live in SoCal? So you expect someone to ride through puddles through the city and not get killed (when they try and stop with rim brakes) by the teenaged girl driving while texting or the idiot that's not completely paying attention?

And now lets go down one model and discuss the 7.7 FX at $1889.99. Again.... WTF? Seriously? It's just a Madone frame with Tiagra components. What a complete joke! Again, bargin bin wheelset, no room for larger tires, no disc brakes, and not even close to comfortable geometry.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see the value in any of these offerings from Trek. When are they going make the move into this decade and offer a decent (carbon) hybrid with disc brakes and room for larger tires?
Yep, agree completely.

The 7.4FX and below are good bikes and not overpriced, but everything above that is just a mess.
Old 07-10-16, 05:35 AM
FXjohn

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Yep, agree completely.

The 7.4FX and below are good bikes and not overpriced, but everything above that is just a mess.
would you say the same thing about the high end giant and specialized hybrids?
Old 07-10-16, 09:25 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 117 Posts
I just checked and found that Specialized has a $2800 Sirrus. Egads! There must be a market for these higher priced bikes though, otherwise they wouldn't be selling them.

Wish I was rich enough to afford that expensive of a bike!
Old 07-10-16, 09:34 AM
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!

Bikes: Custom Giant Anyroad Flatbar, Custom Raw Steel Raleigh XXIX SS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
I just checked and found that Specialized has a $2800 Sirrus. Egads! There must be a market for these higher priced bikes though, otherwise they wouldn't be selling them.

Wish I was rich enough to afford that expensive of a bike!
Yes, you are correct. They do have a Sirrus priced at $2800. But...... for your additional $500 over the Trek 7.9 FX you get Ultegra components, Hydraulic disc brakes, a beautiful Phenom saddle, better wheelset, and a CARBON crankset.
Old 07-10-16, 09:55 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn
would you say the same thing about the high end giant and specialized hybrids?
No, not at all.

Specialized in particular offer many compelling options and Giant's offerings of the Fastroad SLR & Fastroad CoMax are also more appealing than the Trek upper range of hybrids.

Would also give Cannondale the nod over Trek here too.
Old 07-10-16, 07:22 PM
FXjohn

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
No, not at all.

Specialized in particular offer many compelling options and Giant's offerings of the Fastroad SLR & Fastroad CoMax are also more appealing than the Trek upper range of hybrids.

Would also give Cannondale the nod over Trek here too.
thanks for the info
Old 07-11-16, 12:05 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Agree with OP. Giant has 'em all beat in my opinion with the FastRoad Comax Models.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...specifications

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...specifications
Old 07-11-16, 12:39 PM
TomWinKC

Bikes: '15 Spec Sirrus Carbon Pro; '14 Camber Expert Carbon EVO

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
The FastRoad Comax is a radical and good looking ride but it is a different riding bike than the Sirrus. The Sirrus has a longer wheel base and longer chainstays. Wheel base is over an 1" longer. The '15 Sirrus Pro Carbon came with Carbon Seat post, Carbon handle Bars and Zertz inserts in the fork and chain stay. Different stroke for different folks. Handling is signicantly different.
Old 07-11-16, 03:24 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
The price are pretty reasonable compared to the Domane. The frame is essentially a Domane 5/SL, so it's about ~$500 cheaper that the Domane, considering the component downgrades, that's not crazy.

The Domane fits 28mm tires easily and can probably accommodate many 32mm tires. I am surprised that the frame is EXACTLY the same, I would expect either a taller headtube or longer top tube to make up for the flat bars.
Old 07-11-16, 04:06 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The weird thing about the Treks is that they are not hybrid frames. They used to make one in 2009-11. Big tire clearance, long chain stays, long top tube compared to a road bike.
2011 Trek 7.9 FX - BikePedia
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-11-16, 04:14 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Fastroad bikes are best for short, twisty, in and out of traffic rides due to its compact and racy kind of feel. Trust me, as a previous owners of tons of bikes I know. The Sirrus are more do it all bikes.
As for those who like to follow what I ride now its EBikes, no more having to change out of work pants to ride a bike and the end to sweating also.
Old 07-11-16, 04:37 PM
swoodjr1

Bikes: 1999 Giant Rincon; 2009 Mercier Corvus Al; 2012 Trek Marlin; 2016 trek FX 7.5 when available

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The weird thing about the Treks is that they are not hybrid frames. They used to make one in 2009-11. Big tire clearance, long chain stays, long top tube compared to a road bike.
2011 Trek 7.9 FX - BikePedia
I saw one of these just last week and drooled with envy.
Old 07-12-16, 06:06 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by TomWinKC
The FastRoad Comax is a radical and good looking ride but it is a different riding bike than the Sirrus. The Sirrus has a longer wheel base and longer chainstays. Wheel base is over an 1" longer. The '15 Sirrus Pro Carbon came with Carbon Seat post, Carbon handle Bars and Zertz inserts in the fork and chain stay. Different stroke for different folks. Handling is signicantly different.
I've ridden both bikes. They ride virtually identical. The 1" difference wheelbase isn't noticeable when comparing the two.

The FastRoad comax has a carbon seat post and comes with Giant RideSense built into the bike, which is a wireless speed and cadence sensor, that is mounted on the chainstay.

https://www.thisisant.com/directory/ridesense-sensor

It is also $1000 less than the Sirrus Pro Carbon. $100 would get me new carbon bars. The extra $900 I save could be used on component upgrades if desired.

Last edited by prj71; 07-12-16 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-12-16, 07:31 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
I had a '03 Trek 7500 FX, which was a great value when I got it years ago. It was a good all rounder. When I went looking to replace it this year I wanted to go with a fast hybrid. For the reasons mentioned by the OP, Trek wasn't really in the running. I wanted something close to $1,000. Giant Fastroad SLR1 and Jamis Allegra Elite were my top choices. Both came with disc brakes and Tiagra. I went with Giant mostly on style points and availability.
Old 07-12-16, 03:25 PM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I wonder if Trek takes the viewpoint that the number of interested people drops off significantly above the 7.4 model. They have to offer "something", but doesn't see enough return on investment to go all out and compete with the Giant/Spec. at that particular price point.