Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why was Chromoly phased out?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why was Chromoly phased out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-20, 10:20 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Add Rayleigh and Co-Motion to the list of chromoly bikes still being made. All models of Co-Motion touring bikes are chromoly.

Go to a touring bike site and there is a decided steel bias. Standard recipe on Crazy guy on a Bike: steel frames and forks, bar end shifters, Brooks saddles and Swalbe marathon tires. Bonus points if your racks are chromoly as well (Tubus brand). Double bonus points for 8 speed drivetrains.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 06-26-20, 10:23 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,032 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I thought it was cast iron?
Cast iron is where it's at!
Old 06-26-20, 10:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
So...

Surly Long Haul Trucker, 100% Surly 4130 CroMoly steel.
But have you seen the new model? There’s a thread in the Touring forum about it. And that neon Grinch color.
Old 06-26-20, 10:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Bonus points if your racks are chromoly as well (Tubus brand).
Aluminum racks are for the unwashed masses. Tubus steel are for the once a week bathers. Nitto nickel plated steel racks are for those of us who practice proper hygiene.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-26-20, 11:33 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Add Rayleigh and Co-Motion to the list of chromoly bikes still being made. All models of Co-Motion touring bikes are chromoly.

Go to a touring bike site and there is a decided steel bias. Standard recipe on Crazy guy on a Bike: steel frames and forks, bar end shifters, Brooks saddles and Swalbe marathon tires. Bonus points if your racks are chromoly as well (Tubus brand). Double bonus points for 8 speed drivetrains.
Three Surlys and a Co-Motion There is also a pretty good representation of Tubus racks, but only one set of bar end shifters and no Brooks saddles

Likes For Doug64:
Old 06-26-20, 11:48 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Looks like 3 sets of Marathon tires though, plus Ortlieb bags, the other CGOAB obsession.

Shoot, looks like two of those guys have brifters!! hard to believe they are CGOAB members in good standing. Did you photo shop that?
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 06-26-20, 12:04 PM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
Lest we all forget: Steel is Real
Real Nostalgic
Real Heavy
Real Expensive

And be careful about that Carbon Fiber cuase it assplodes. And watch out for your Aluminum frame bending in half.
Likes For Just Mark:
Old 06-26-20, 12:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I wouldn't say it has been phase out. Still lots of bikes still being made with chromoly steel. It goes by different brand names, like 4130, Reynolds 853 tubing and what not. Surly has their own name for the chromoly tubing they use, I think it is Natch

From what I have read aluminum frames can be cheaper to manufacture. At the price point of the bike you posted they are probably mostly aluminium frames.

Look for a touring bike and I would guess the majority of them will be steel.
4130 is not a brand name, its an AISI/ SAE , standard designation for a particular alloy % combinations, of elements.
you can look up.. it has no trademark..

a range of tolerances is listed here.
  • 0.28 - 0.33% Carbon
  • 0.8 - 1.1% Chromium
  • 0.7 - 0.9% Manganese
  • 0.15 - 0.25% Molybdenum
  • ≤ 0.035% Phosphorus
  • 0.15 - 0.35% Silicon
  • ≤ 0.04% Sulfur
  • The rest is Iron, of course.

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-26-20 at 12:21 PM.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 06-26-20, 12:28 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Surly, Soma, Black Mountain, All City, Cinelli all deal exclusively or almost entirely in steel frames.
You also have mass produced steel offerings by niner, bianchi, colnago, fuji, fairlight, ribble, ritchey, twin six, and many more.
After that, you come to the higher costing frames that are custom built by dozens of brands across North America and Europe. Dozens.

So yes, besides all the others, Surly is the last steel bikes standing.
Soma, Black Mountain, All City and Cinelli are all small makers. The others have a few steel frames in their line up. Surly is the only large volume manufacturer that does only steel bikes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-26-20, 12:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Many brands of bikes use the contract manufacturing resources of Maxway, Ltd TW .
& import & warehouse them for distribution to your Local Shop..
Surly is a customer of Maxway. as is their Salsa brand too..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-26-20 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-26-20, 12:29 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I thought my carbon frame bike had some issues when riding downhill on a rough concrete surface. Then, I remembered I was use to riding my Reynolds 853 steel frame down the same rough road and none of the harshness was present. Quality steel just has a better ride quality IMHO.
Yeah, I have a brand new carbon bike and an older Tommasini with Columbus Neuron tubes and the ride difference is surprising. I was expecting the new carbon bike to be smoother and take out all the buzz from the road. Even with the major difference in tire width - 28mm on the Carbon bike and 23mm on the older bike, the Tommasini just has a sweeter and smoother ride. Not what I was expecting...
Old 06-26-20, 12:36 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
It seems the factory frame sticker is missing. How can I tell if my bike is chromoly?

Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 06-26-20, 12:46 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts

Co-Motion isn’t a large manufacturer nor does it have much of a market impact. Rayleigh may make some steel bikes but I doubt that they are a significant fraction of their yearly sales of higher quality bikes.

The steel bias and the other things that are “standard” for touring shows more about the mindset of the touring world than anything else. Touring bike materials selection is rooted in the romantic idealism of being able to “repair” a steel bicycle under the shade of a village smithy in some far off land than in reality. It’s also based on the idea that any material that isn’t steel is going to “shatter into a thousand pieces without warning”. With many years of experience riding aluminum mountain bikes that undergo far worse rigors than touring bikes, and 20 years experience with aluminum touring bikes...the Horror!..., I have no problems accepting the “new” material of aluminum for touring bikes.

In reality, repairing a modern, high quality, thin walled steel bike isn’t something that “any idiot with a welder” can do. It’s a very thin material that requires a lot of skill to do without just burning holes in the metal. I’ve known this for nearly 40 years now based on a repair done on a long ago discarded mountain bike. The welder is a very competent welder and was amazed at how thin the steel was and how easy it would be to burn through.

The same welder, by the way, repaired a broken aluminum frame. It was much easier and, contrary to common knowledge, was permanent. I actually sold that bike rather then discarding it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-26-20, 12:49 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
It seems the factory frame sticker is missing. How can I tell if my bike is chromoly?

Actually, that is a special blend of material called licorice....

Last edited by cb400bill; 06-26-20 at 02:15 PM.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 06-26-20, 01:09 PM
Pop N Wood

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Bunch of words....
Man, people seem wound a little tight around here.

Wasn't passing opinions on which was better or why, just sharing information. My Rayleigh Tamland is steel, not a co-motion but not a low end bike either.

Oh and yes I know 4130 is an alloy designation. Was only trying to key the OP into some of the acronyms he might see to know he was looking at chromoly bikes.

Since the site seems to be populated with detail oriented braniacs, perhaps one of you can tell me what word is used to describe how well a material transfers vibration? I'm well acquainted with material property terms like nil ductility temperature and malleability, but is there a similar term for transmitting vibration?

Reason I ask is I do a lot of metal working in my garage. I commonly bend steel by clamping it in a vice, pressing one end with my left hand than using a hammer to bend it. The first time I tried that with a piece of aluminum I thought the bones in my left hand all the way to my wrist were going to shatter, the aluminum transferred the vibration unlike anything I've ever experienced with a piece of steel. Had to use a block of wood to apply pressure on the aluminum.

Think maybe the speed of sound might give some clue as to an alloy's ability to transfer vibration?

Have to wonder if that is why some aluminum bikes ride so harsh.
Old 06-26-20, 01:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Soma, Black Mountain, All City and Cinelli are all small makers. The others have a few steel frames in their line up. Surly is the only large volume manufacturer that does only steel bikes.
I didnt realize we were only considering brands that are large volume(based on your metric) and also only sell steel.

The OP said he doesnt see many cromo bikes and wondered why. You posted that Surly is mostly the last steel bikes standing.
I disagree and listed tons of brands that have steel frames still.

Your goalposts moved, which is typical of a cycco discussion.
I'm out.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-26-20, 01:36 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I thought it was cast iron?
Old 06-26-20, 01:40 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
But have you seen the new model? There’s a thread in the Touring forum about it. And that neon Grinch color.
I have seen it. At first I was skeptical, but overall I think they did a decent job. I still like the original though. I thought it was funny that they said they increased the stack height because they saw so any builds with high stacks of spacers under the stem. My thought is if people bought the right size frame they wouldn't need so many spacers.

If I want to run my bars low, I would have bought a 54. I wanted the bars at the lowest, even with my seat, and in reality, a little higher. I bought a 56. Had I bought the 54, I would have a lot of spacers.

They also "tweaked" the geometry to make it more nimble for general riding. They shortened the chain stays by 10mm. I bought my LHT because it had those nice long chain stays, because the bike is slightly more stable loaded at speed. Mine is dead stable at 45mph descents, fully loaded. Will the new one be? Who knows. The new frame looks nice, but it isn't the same as an original LHT. That is good or bad, depending on who is looking to buy it. It definitely looks like a nice frame overall though.

Last edited by phughes; 06-26-20 at 01:45 PM.
Likes For phughes:
Old 06-26-20, 01:46 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
My Yuba Mundo Lux is chromoly. I think most cargo bikes tend to be.
Old 06-26-20, 01:52 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts

A FREAKIN REBAR BIKE?!!!

How heavy is that sucker?
Old 06-26-20, 02:03 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts

City bike? THAT steel is real.

Last edited by dmark; 06-26-20 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-26-20, 02:27 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I have seen it. At first I was skeptical, but overall I think they did a decent job. I still like the original though. I thought it was funny that they said they increased the stack height because they saw so any builds with high stacks of spacers under the stem. My thought is if people bought the right size frame they wouldn't need so many spacers.

If I want to run my bars low, I would have bought a 54. I wanted the bars at the lowest, even with my seat, and in reality, a little higher. I bought a 56. Had I bought the 54, I would have a lot of spacers.

the disc trucker is a long frame and the reach increases with frame sizes both absolutely and relatively. I ride a size 62cm while I would need a 64 stack wise hence the 65mm spacer stack I need. However were I to ride a 64cm I'd need to use a 50-70mm stem to compensate for the long reach which would not be ideal in terms of weight distribution or handling.

So personally I'm happy I can now get a frame that is high enough while the reach is reasonable.
Old 06-26-20, 02:32 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Steel may be heavier than aluminum and CF, but most riders I see would be better of taking 5 lbs off their bodies than 5 lbs off their bikes. That's not meant as criticism of my fellow riders. It is just an observation.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 06-26-20, 02:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
A. A good 1990s steel racing bike is about 20 pounds, that's light enough for me.

B. I like the ride. I'm a long distance rider so that's pretty important to me.

C. To me, steel frames are just better looking than any of the others. That's totally an esthetic preference, so it can't really be argued either way, but I like to look at my steel bikes, and I don't really like the bulby look of carbon and aluminum bikes. For my needs, the performance issues are basically a wash, I'm pretty fast on what I ride.

D. YMMV and that's ok.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-26-20, 02:58 PM
powermatt99

Bikes: Felt VR5, '85 Trek 520, '84 Trek 890

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Definitely a lot of reasons for steel becoming a niche product in the cycling world. Not mentioned yet are geopolitical developments such as George W. Bush's 2002 steel tariffs designed to protect U.S. industry to shore up slumping economy and the economic effects of 9/11.

I really like steel, even entry level and middle of the road steel has virtue. (IMO, the same cannot be said for entry level aluminum which is seems harsh in all the wrong places.**) True, there is a weight penalty which I really only notice now that I have a sub-20-pound carbon bike. Yes, I could lose 5-pounds (or 20) but I like bourbon too much. My next bike will be a light custom steel build from Milwaukee Bicycle Company.

**My opinion only. Comment not meant to start a holy war here.

Last edited by powermatt99; 06-26-20 at 03:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.