Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Personal bike shop

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Personal bike shop

Old 07-18-20, 08:15 PM
hkhailey

Bikes: 1995 GT Arrette

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
My coworkers usually use the air hose to expand off grips. My old school self pushes a skinny hex wrench under the grip and sprays in Clean Streak, the grip slides off and the cleaning prep fpr the next grip has a head start. Andy
We just use the air hose again to put (expand) the new grips on. It's quick, there is no drying time and no residue of anything to interfere with the grip. With the 150psi airflow, you can easily adjust the grip to wherever it needs to be.

You DO, however, need to make sure that you hold the opposite grip, not only to restrict airflow but for safety. I have launched several grips across the shop when I forgot. (Air Born!!!)
Old 07-19-20, 11:25 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Years ago, at Geo Rennies Bicycle Shop, one slow winter day us rats were launching grips at the basket display over the front door. In walked the boss... Needless to say we didn't do that again too soon. Andy