Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Lost gripshift front cover on trail

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-20, 12:03 PM
Cortland15b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, as the title says I lost the front cover piece to my grip shifter SRT-600 off my 1995 ish Gary fisher Aquila Mountain bike and I’m at a loss. The LBS was no help and because of the Corona virus parts are hard to come by he said so I don’t think I can buy new shifters from them either.

I found a set of the covers on eBay but they were 30$ and in Belgium and don’t really want to go that route.

What are my other options? Will any shifter work or is there compatibility issues I need to worry about? Can I upgrade to thumb shifters? What are some recommended modern grip shifters if I stay with them (never used thumb shifters before)?

7 speed shifter btw.

Old 08-01-20, 04:56 PM
gda659

Bikes: Elephant Bikes NFE, Soulcraft Royale, DeSalvo Team Issue, 96 Stumpjumper Comp, Intense Tracer 29, Rans Rocket, Bike Friday NWT, 1978 Puch Royal X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I see a pair of 3/7 Shimano Rapid Fire shifters on eBay. I'd do something like that. My 8-speed Grip Shift plastic deteriorated a few years ago and I was able to find a set of Shimano 8-speed trigger shifters. After cleaning the dry grease out of them, they are awesome.