Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brompton (SRAM T3) hub gear - how to put back indicator rod/chain

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-11, 04:26 PM
rustybike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

Sorry, this is probably a bit of a noddy question as I am not very good with bike maintenance (see username), but I thought I'd try asking, after searching the web and not finding any answers (but some of the closely related ones were in this forum).

While removing the back wheel of my Brompton folding bike, I accidentally unscrewed the indicator rod that controls the hub gear.

I'm sure I've done that once before and been able to just put it back, but this time, I can't get it to go back in. I tried for like 45 minutes and didn't get anywhere.

The hub gear is an SRAM three-speed, I think the T3 model. (I looked up their manual, it seems to match.)

As far as I can tell the indicator rod isn't damaged (there is a short section on the end with a screw-thread on, and it looks like it goes to a point where it's supposed to; the rod isn't bent).

Is there some specific trick that you need to follow when screwing it in? I've just been pushing it in as far as I can get it and then twisting it round, but it doesn't screw in. It's a bit difficult because the chain part has to partially go in, and obviously that doesn't give you direct control of the rod.

Thanks for any suggestions I don't feel like riding everywhere in high gear... luckily, for regular work travel, it's actually in reasonable walking distance anyway, so I can live with the bike being out of action for a bit.
Old 01-30-11, 04:39 PM
bikeman715

Bikes: Bike Nashbar AL-1 ,Raligh M50 , Schwinn Traveler , and others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Try spinning the wheel and see if that will put the hub back into 3rd gear and retry putting the rod back in . The hub might be still in !st gear.
Old 02-02-11, 04:11 PM
rustybike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that, unfortunately didn't help (and btw I put the wheel back on and spun the pedals upside-down; it definitely feels like it's in top gear). After another 20 minutes of wiggling the chain around I still wasn't able to connect it.

Probably time for me to give up and call on a local bike shop (there's one that claims hub gears are a speciality, hmmm). Of course then it makes sense to ask them to fix the other things that are (less fatally) wrong with it, which means I can see a large bill in my future, but oh well...

Thanks.