Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Wait-listed for a race.

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Wait-listed for a race.

Old 04-10-11, 07:05 AM
Debusama

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait-listed for a race.

I was off on a backpacking trip when registration opened for the tour of Walla Walla, and by the time got back, it was full. I registered as an alternate anyway as I knew I hadn’t missed it by much and it said I was #3 on the waiting list. That was a few months ago, and I still haven’t received a spot in the race. I normally work on Sundays, so I already requested the time off. Most every race I’ve done Has a few DNS people on the results list, so I’m debating whether or not I should just drive to the race, an see if I can get in the day of, or find something else to do with my weekend. I kind of doubt that 20 minutes before the race they start looking around for alternates to fill spots for people who didn’t show up and I don’t want to waste my weekend hanging around the staging area and never getting to race. The race is a week from now; I doubt anyone who hasn’t deregistered by this time is going to do so.
Has anyone had experience with this? Do many people pull out in the last week, do they let alternates in to replace no-shows the morning of the race or should I just move on?
Old 04-10-11, 07:15 AM
timster
ɹǝʇsɯıʇ

Bikes: 2011 Focus Whistler // 2011 Cannondale CAAD10 // 2009 Scattante XRL TT // 1993 Cannondale R400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of the time the waitlist is handled on the day of the race, after normal checkin closes. I don't think I've ever gone from the waitlist to confirmed before the day of, even if people cancel their registration.

Lets say the field has a max size of 100. If only 90 people checked in on the day of the race, and checkin closes at 9:30 AM, they would usually start calling off names from the wait list at 9:30. Those no-shows could have been people who cancelled their registration ahead of time, or just decided not to show up. First 10 people from the waitlist (based on registration order) who are present get to race.

Being 3rd on the waitlist gives you a good chance to get in the race. Basically it means that at most, 3 pre-registered people have to not show up. If the 2 people in front of you on the waitlist don't show up, only 1 pre-registered person has to not show up.

Go to the race, suit up, warm up, be prepared to race. Normally they do waitlist about 10 minutes before the start of the race, so you won't know if you're in until the last minute.
Old 04-10-11, 07:31 AM
Debusama

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, That's what I needed to hear... I guess I'm going to the race.
Old 04-10-11, 08:40 AM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've gotten in when I was 7th or 8th on the wait list. I'd go if I was 3rd as the chances are very good I'd get in.
Old 04-10-11, 10:05 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
I would write the (walla walla) organizers to find out how they handle it.. hope you can make it!

my race videos
Old 04-11-11, 06:31 PM
milnerpt

Bikes: Scott scale 29er, Gary fisher Rig SS 29er, Fuji Cross pro, Novara Randonee, Scattante TI custom build, Fuji Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I raced last year and am registered for this year at Walla Walla. I think last year, registration filled up in 30 minutes online (for lowly cat 5 with a 50 limit).

Registration seemed to fill up day of this year as well (I actually made it a point to register while overseas knowing this).

That being said, I think last year we had a few DNS, and they were not replaced by waiting list people. Partly because, people arent willing to drive the 4 or 5 hours from Seattle to see if they 'made it'. If it were an hour drive for me, and I was in your position, I would definitely show up.

What cat are you signed up for? keep in mind, there will likely be fewer no shows for the cat 5, as the limit is much lower. One teammate of mine accidentally double registered as a 4.... and I know he is getting refunded.... so that may be one of the spots already.

One futher complication.... is I think walla walla has some policy where you can actually register a set number of spots for your team (you pay an additional fee).... some teams then fail to fill all of these spots (Im told there was some disgruntled racers as one team bought up quite a few spots, then no showed on the event... leaving the field quite a bit smaller).

Its a fun stage race... but am told they swapped friday/sunday road courses... and the one on sunday this year is a bit more challenging...
Old 04-11-11, 07:40 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
yep - the Sunday RR this year is quite a bit more challenging, but doesn't have a summit finish.

So, interesting story - I am guessing you are a cat4/5?
A friend of mine is #4 on the wait list, and we have a guy on our team who isn't going to make it because of a funeral that just came up. We tried to transfer the spot today, but they said no... so there will be at least a few spots (two that we've heard about in this thread already) open up.

If you are #3, I think your chances are really, really good of getting in.
Old 04-12-11, 01:04 PM
crapweasel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I should have looked at the RR profile *before* I decided Walla Walla would be a fun race to do.
Old 04-12-11, 03:33 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@CW- they took out the summit finish.... what's the complaint now?
Old 04-13-11, 09:52 PM
milnerpt

Bikes: Scott scale 29er, Gary fisher Rig SS 29er, Fuji Cross pro, Novara Randonee, Scattante TI custom build, Fuji Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
summit finish.... although we only had to go over that climb once at speed.... but it really was not even close to grueling.

Anyhow... the TT start lists are up. You can count how full the cats are. I know one of our cat 4s is a no show and is listed on the TT start.
Old 04-13-11, 10:00 PM
crapweasel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
95 in Cat4. Sounds exciting. Hida why don't I see you on the TT list? Team registration thing?