Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The gomango/tgb project (tommasini content)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The gomango/tgb project (tommasini content)

Old 12-25-12, 02:16 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Merry Christmas!

Most of the components are here. As I said, period (century gray) but modern gearing (centaur 10)

The wheels are only for mockup, Grady won't get those from me

(Sorry for the crappy pics)

i think the gray makes the blue on the frame come alive.

This seems to be the only place ergos will securely mount on these bars, but it feels pretty decent and looks good to me:

Old 12-25-12, 02:56 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Remember this comment?

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
Well it didn't take long for this thread to pick up speed.

grady is lucky this frame is a touch too small for me or I would be finding a way to keep it on my side of the state line. This build has me so excited it has made me really reconsider my current stable. I may have to trade out my only non steel bike for a more traditional race frame.
well it happened. I'm going to go ahead and blame it directly on Grady. I am parting out one of my vintage bikes, selling my modern frame, and the record 10spd components will call this home:

the seat post is only temporary. It will have a Thomson when all is said and done. Look for progress elsewhere.
Old 12-25-12, 03:17 PM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All of this is looking fantastic. As soon as I have the funds together I'll be shopping for a centaur 10 set up for the Merckx.
Old 12-25-12, 03:43 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 141 Posts
Remember this comment?

well it happened. I'm going to go ahead and blame it directly on Grady. I am parting out one of my vintage bikes, selling my modern frame, and the record 10spd components will call this home:

the seat post is only temporary. It will have a Thomson when all is said and done. Look for progress elsewhere.

Your patience and diligence on the Tommasini is noticed and appreciated!

I love it!

Now this Colnago adventure looks to be a fantastic decision on your part.

I can't wait to see the Joe Bell paint in person.

What a looker and I am sure the performance will be top shelf as well.

You really have your hands full with these projects.

Btw Late breaking news flash. I have sourced 36 hole Centaur hubs!
Old 12-25-12, 03:44 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by whatwolf
All of this is looking fantastic. As soon as I have the funds together I'll be shopping for a centaur 10 set up for the Merckx.
All of it is good but some years are better than most. Look for ultrashift levers and the rear derailler with the coutout near the mounting bolt. These are basically rebranded chorus parts.
Old 12-25-12, 03:50 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Your patience and diligence on the Tommasini is noticed and appreciated!

I love it!

Now this Colnago adventure looks to be a fantastic decision on your part.

I can't wait to see the Joe Bell paint in person.

What a looker and I am sure the performance will be top shelf as well.

You really have your hands full with these projects.

Btw Late breaking news flash. I have sourced 36 hole Centaur hubs!
The tommasini has been a blast. I've enjoyed the opritunity.

the joe bell paint is great. ALL of the decals are under lots of clear. There a a few scuffs and nicks in it, but I wanted a rider and the price was right. Any nicer and I would baby it too much I am very pleased with the desicion. It will leave me with three bikes with unique uses.

fatastic news on the hubs. 36h century gray hubs and tubulars will be the best of the various options we discussed.
Old 12-25-12, 04:11 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Oh boy, getting better and better! I love my Centaur 10 group to bits, and those century gray ones are very attractive.
Old 12-25-12, 04:18 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium
Oh boy, getting better and better! I love my Centaur 10 group to bits, and those century gray ones are very attractive.
I love the century gray group. It is the first full group I've laid my hands on.
Old 12-25-12, 06:46 PM
roadrunner2012
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a NOS 175mm triple in that group that I'd love to trade for something shorter--it's for my wife
Old 12-25-12, 07:08 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by roadrunner2012
I have a NOS 175mm triple in that group that I'd love to trade for something shorter--it's for my wife
Funny, I've got a 175mm triple in silver I would like to trade for something shorter -- it's for my wife
Old 12-25-12, 07:32 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Remember this comment?

This is the perfect candidate for a modern component gruppo upgrade - one of the POs even had guides brazed to the bottom head lug! And that fade works - period.

I'm looking forward to the build report for this beauty, too - I already know how it'll ride

DD
Old 12-25-12, 09:20 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
This is the perfect candidate for a modern component gruppo upgrade - one of the POs even had guides brazed to the bottom head lug! And that fade works - period.

I'm looking forward to the build report for this beauty, too - I already know how it'll ride

DD

For those that didn't notice, a period correct build on this 83/84 Nuevo Mexico isn't possible. Along with replacing the brake cable guides with cable stops under the top tube, someone has also removed the shifter bosses in favor of cable stops. There is also a killer Campagnolo decal under the clear coat. It was an obvious choice for my 10spd record group that has been begging for a proper home.

Old 12-25-12, 10:45 PM
gomango

For those that didn't notice, a period correct build on this 83/84 Nuevo Mexico isn't possible. Along with replacing the brake cable guides with cable stops under the top tube, someone has also removed the shifter bosses in favor of cable stops. There is also a killer Campagnolo decal under the clear coat. It was an obvious choice for my 10spd record group that has been begging for a proper home.

You have a free hand at this point on that pretty frameset.

The Record group is a perfect choice.

Swap bicycles for a weekend?
Old 12-25-12, 11:14 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You have a free hand at this point on that pretty frameset.

The Record group is a perfect choice.

Swap bicycles for a weekend?
swap? At this point I have both I'm sure you will get a chance to ride the colnago. Consider it a finders fee.

i think I may edit the title and keep both builds going here if there are no complaints. After all, they do so have similar roots. I presented you with the idea of updating your tommasini with 10spd and you presented me with the colnago idea when I was looking for modern aluminum. Both will be Italian classics updated with 10spd ergos but the end results will differ significantly. Who doesn't want to see how both of these unfold together? I'm sure one will continue to inspire the other.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 12-25-12 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-25-12, 11:21 PM
gomango

swap? At this point I have both I'm sure you will get a chance to ride the colnago. Consider it a finders fee.

i think I may edit the title and keep both builds going here if there are no complaints. After all, they do so have similar roots. I presented you with the idea of updating your tommasini with 10spd and you presented me with the colnago idea when I was looking for modern aluminum. Both will be Italian classics updated with 10spd ergos but the end results will differ significantly. Who doesn't want to see how both of these unfold together? I'm sure one will continue to inspire the other.

speaking of, I'm currently seeing visions of tied and soldered spokes on the tommasini for a true spring classic look. Any thoughts?
Keep both builds going!

...and don't forget about the Sintesi.

We can eventually roll right into that one as well if we have time.

Tied and soldered is cool/proper, but I always have an exit strategy on builds.

Narrows resale, but looks cool as all get out.

When I get the hubs, I'll build at the shop with a couple of 25 year olds looking over my shoulder for safe keeping.

I'll post pics of rims(have them) and hubs when the auction ends.
Old 12-25-12, 11:31 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Grady always being the responsible one

i agree on your assessment. It would look right but would surely have a negative effect on the resale of the wheelset. The bike will be oozing with character anyway.

I haven't forgotten about the sentesi. The 8spd parts are all reassembled, carefully boxed up, and waiting in line.
Old 12-25-12, 11:37 PM
gomango

Grady always being the responsible one

i agree on your assessment. It would look right but would surely have a negative effect on the resale of the wheelset. The bike will be oozing with character anyway.

I haven't forgotten about the sentesi. The 8spd parts are all reassembled, carefully boxed up, and waiting in line.
Wait till you are 54 years old young man!!!!!

The Sintesi is stripped down to the crank/frameset/headset.

I want to leave the Chris King headset on her, but I am selling the DA gruppo.

It's very cool, but I won't use it and want the $$$$.

Someone can get a great deal. The hubs are so sweet.
Old 12-26-12, 08:29 AM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wait till you are 54 years old young man!!!!! The Sintesi is stripped down to the crank/frameset/headset.I want to leave the Chris King headset on her, but I am selling the DA gruppo.It's very cool, but I won't use it and want the $$$$.Someone can get a great deal. The hubs are so sweet.
Leaving the CK headset is fine with me. I had one in my tommasini till I put the record unit in and now I have one that will stay in the colnago. There really isn't a better option for a bike that will see rain and other adverse conditions.
Old 12-26-12, 10:10 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
This thread just got twice as good as before!

That Colnago Nuevo Mexico all dressed up in that blue/yellow paint is simply beautiful! It's going to be a real standout for sure. The geometry look quick and that TT looks good and short like my Super, and it fit's me like a glove. Seem's to be an Ernesto trademark on so many of his 70's/80's bikes.

Good stuff here guys! Keep on wrenching!
Old 12-26-12, 10:50 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
This thread just got twice as good as before!

That Colnago Nuevo Mexico all dressed up in that blue/yellow paint is simply beautiful! It's going to be a real standout for sure. The geometry look quick and that TT looks good and short like my Super, and it fit's me like a glove. Seem's to be an Ernesto trademark on so many of his 70's/80's bikes.

Good stuff here guys! Keep on wrenching!

Isn't that Colnago gorgeous Jim?

I thought about tossing out a bid a couple of times before Casey put me out of my misery.
Old 12-26-12, 11:05 AM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
This thread just got twice as good as before!That Colnago Nuevo Mexico all dressed up in that blue/yellow paint is simply beautiful! It's going to be a real standout for sure. The geometry look quick and that TT looks good and short like my Super, and it fit's me like a glove. Seem's to be an Ernesto trademark on so many of his 70's/80's bikes. Good stuff here guys! Keep on wrenching!
Thanks. Typically I'm not a huge fan of fades but like DD said, this one works. When I got it out of the box and unwrapped it I was instantly happy. The plan is to continue to dress her in black, I want the colors on the frame itself to pop and I fear any color elsewhere will distract from that. I even pulled the matching "word champion" decals off the NOS salsa stem. My wife was sceptical of my plan (because the decals matched) but when I was done she agreed with what had been done.I am hoping the geomatry is as quick as it looks. The tt is a little short but the 130mm stem should be long enough to dial the fit back in. I hope it is at least. Finding another California made salsa road stem in this condition isn't likely.
Old 12-26-12, 12:24 PM
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Oh my... Bastardizing the frame, but an improvement in my eyes. Headtube cable guides are sexy.

Like on this Kirk:

Old 12-26-12, 12:58 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Puget Pounder
Oh my... Bastardizing the frame, but an improvement in my eyes. Headtube cable guides are sexy.

Like on this Kirk:

It was a subtle improvement that drew me to purchasing the frame. It has the perfect mix of classic Italian heritage and modern American style.

i wish the stops were as pretty as the Kirk, but based on a date wrote on the steerer, I am suspicious the modifications and paint took place in late 1997 so options am have been limited. I received the frame with rather dated gray colored barrels but happened to have a black set on hand that looked better.
Old 12-27-12, 09:21 AM
gomango

Well, just lost another auction for 36 hole gray Centaur hubs.

2nd place doesn't cut it.

Maybe I should just sell a few sets of nos rims and just cough up for a set of Campy Neutrons?

Color me frustrated.
Old 12-27-12, 10:02 AM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well, just lost another auction for 36 hole gray Centaur hubs.2nd place doesn't cut it. Maybe I should just sell a few sets of nos rims and just cough up for a set of Campy Neutrons?Color me frustrated.
I would sell the NOS rims and lace the 32h hubs to a23s

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.