Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Your gearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-16, 09:24 PM
JimiMimni

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For what it's worth: I've been racing most of the winter on a 92" (51x15) in the 3/4 field in Colorado Springs. I'm the smallest gear in the field by A LOT. One of my friends was talking about gearing down to a 98" for a points race.

In the P,1,2,3 races, I've used a 92" (fine) and a 94" (SHELLED). Depends on who shows up, and how froggy the field feels.
Old 04-27-16, 09:38 PM
Huskey
Great at turning left

Bikes: BT Stealth

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last season I used 96", 98", 102" for race meets

So far for the last 2 months the smallest I've used is 104" and the biggest 114", it's our off season over here so I'm just working on big gears and heavy weights
Old 04-28-16, 10:58 AM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Huskey
it's our off season over here so I'm just working on big gears and heavy weights
I have the opposite approach. I lift year round, but offseason it's the priority so that's where I'm working on power, and my saddle time is spent spinning smaller gears. I'm an enduro though... move along, nothing to see here.
Old 04-28-16, 06:05 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
I use 51x15 (92") as a baseline for local, mid-range points races. For jumpier races (local madisons, points races with very small fields, or especially tired legs) I'll go down to a 90". For steadier races (ie 15km scratch races) I'll use a larger gear - 93" for local events, 95" for national-level events - on the assumption that it'll be fast and require me to keep my speed up and stay sheltered, not jumping or attacking - just following wheels.
I haven't raced in a couple years, but this is pretty close to the gearing I was using and for the same reasons. I'd also often drop a tooth in front for racing at Encino vs. Carson a lot of the time (because of wind, track surface and style of racing). Bigger faster field I'd gear up a couple inches.
Old 04-29-16, 07:53 AM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VanceMac
I have the opposite approach. I lift year round, but offseason it's the priority so that's where I'm working on power, and my saddle time is spent spinning smaller gears. I'm an enduro though... move along, nothing to see here.
weights all year?
doesnt that make you feel sluggish on the bike?
Old 04-29-16, 10:35 PM
JimiMimni

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
weights all year?
I lift all year as well. Some of my best nights of racing came after HEAVY lifting the night before.

There is evidence for high-force movements potentiating high-velocity movements. I've not read a decisive position stand on the matter, but there is reasoning behind it. From my colleagues:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26544089

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26712510
Old 04-30-16, 07:43 PM
thesmoothdome

Bikes: '10 BMC Pro Machine, 02 Fisher Sugar 2+

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VanceMac

So given the fact that my off season was spent injuring myself from lifting, what gears would you suggest I use to beat you this season Vance? . You know I'm kidding. It's a bummer that we won't get to race until States, but as always it'll be fun!

Off season and early season is about small gears and spinning. The season is about knowing what works for you. I see plenty of guys a lot stronger than I am pushing a huge gear. It works if they can control the pace and keep it consistent. It works until the race goes from 28-33 in a heartbeat and they're gapped off. A lot of these guys can just TT until the next lull, but it has to be draining.

It doesn't do anyone any good to ride a gear so big that they can't get on top of it multiple times during a race. I'd rather be an inch too low than an inch too high any day of the week.
Old 04-30-16, 08:40 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't ask Vance how to beat Vance! Ask the one guy who consistently beats him in the last 2 series- Giddeon Massie
Old 04-30-16, 09:43 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by JimiMimni
I lift all year as well. Some of my best nights of racing came after HEAVY lifting the night before.

There is evidence for high-force movements potentiating high-velocity movements. I've not read a decisive position stand on the matter, but there is reasoning behind it. From my colleagues:

Potentiation effects of half-squats performed in a ballistic or non-ballistic manner. - PubMed - NCBI

Understanding Vertical Jump Potentiation: A Deterministic Model. - PubMed - NCBI
I've seen Team GB athletes tweet about PBs in the gym days before major events (world cup, world championships, etc...)
Old 05-01-16, 12:02 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So wait-
Are you telling me that when you use weight training to go fast on a bike- that when you are your strongest you will also be your fastest?
Crazy
Old 05-01-16, 01:32 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
So wait-
Are you telling me that when you use weight training to go fast on a bike- that when you are your strongest you will also be your fastest?
Crazy
Hey, I think I detect sarcasm.
Old 05-01-16, 01:54 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Hey, I think I detect sarcasm.
I'm famous for my subtlety
Old 05-01-16, 08:45 PM
carleton
Elitist

So wait-
Crazy
I'm agreeing with the "lift heavy throughout the season" way of thinking.

"Traditional" track programs will have the riders lift heavy in the winter then do maintenance lifting though the season and even decline in poundage as the season progresses.

But, my post was about lifting heavy as hell the day before a big event. Conventional wisdom has people stop lifting 2-3 weeks before the big event of the year to allow for tapering (AKA: Supercompensation).
Old 05-02-16, 06:00 AM
SprintzNKiloz

Bikes: LOOK 675, Dolan DF4, Casati Gold Line, Litespeed Classic, Felt TR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a double of rollers and heavy lifts Saturday and then was doing standing starts and flying 200s for 3 hours yesterday at the track and I was expected to see puny watts and no snap, but the opposite happened.
Old 05-11-16, 06:44 PM
skysurfer

Bikes: TI Sports/Fuji retired pro TT, Fuji track comp, Trek 660 since new.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I just started playing with this since I'm new and have a limited selection.
Started with an 82.8 (46x15) as per recommendation to be in the 80-85 range for new riders.
Pitched that heavy crank with non 144 rings once the season started and have been on an 86.4 (48x15).
Was doing jumps earlier this week on a 92.6 (48x14) but wearing out a bit too quick for a 1K on flat ground.
Changed to a 90.0 (50x15) for the races last night and dropped ~4.5 seconds on my 1K. There were some other factors like being in the lane, fitness I don't think was one having just been out sick for a week.
Keep in mind almost all of my training is on flat ground given my distance from the velodrome and sprinting is my direction.
Current thoughts are jumping back up to the 92.6 (48x14) or maybe even 96.4 (50x14) for the upcoming sprints.
Am I all wet or sound like a reasonable plan?
Old 05-12-16, 11:31 AM
SprintzNKiloz

Bikes: LOOK 675, Dolan DF4, Casati Gold Line, Litespeed Classic, Felt TR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skysurfer
I think a lot of folks will say it depends. That said, it's good to experiment. I'm three years in and still trying to figure out gearing.
Old 05-12-16, 04:43 PM
carleton
Elitist

Started with an 82.8 (46x15) as per recommendation to be in the 80-85 range for new riders.
Pitched that heavy crank with non 144 rings once the season started and have been on an 86.4 (48x15).
Was doing jumps earlier this week on a 92.6 (48x14) but wearing out a bit too quick for a 1K on flat ground.
Changed to a 90.0 (50x15) for the races last night and dropped ~4.5 seconds on my 1K. There were some other factors like being in the lane, fitness I don't think was one having just been out sick for a week.
Keep in mind almost all of my training is on flat ground given my distance from the velodrome and sprinting is my direction.
Current thoughts are jumping back up to the 92.6 (48x14) or maybe even 96.4 (50x14) for the upcoming sprints.
This sounds reasonable.

I have a free app in the Apple App Store called "Track Cycling Gear Calculator". It will help you keep track of the gears you can make.

Pay close attention to your cadences. Learn to feel the 3 sensations:

1) Gear is too big: This is often called, "Under the gear", "Bogged down", or "Couldn't get on top of it.". This is because you can't get up to your optimal cadence range.

2) Gear is too small: This is often called, "Spinning out", "Spinning like a hamster", "Revving out". This is where the gear is so small/light that you are capable of going past your optimal cadence range.

3) Gear is perfect: This is called, "On top of the gear."

...just like Goldilocks!

You will find that your gearing will evolve with your rest, fitness, and as the season progresses. What feels good one week may feel awful the next. Feel is important in gearing....and cadence
Old 05-12-16, 05:13 PM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm not sure this is going to help you, so if I'm wrong please understand me.
I read this in upupup, so it's for sprinters
To find your gear, you have to check your cadence.
If you hit 145rpm(male) in 80", you have enough power to push that gear.
So you basically you could gear up to 85".
and repeat this progress and find your limit
This might help you find your gearing.

Please tell me if I'm wrong
Old 05-12-16, 05:53 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
the tricky thing about gearing - and about experimenting if you don't have a power meter or a stopwatch handy, or some way of objectively looking at what happens - is that sometimes your legs feel awful when they're performing well.

so you might think, "ugh, that gear felt terrible, i couldn't really lock in to it" - but it's possible that you did 4k faster than you ever had before.
Old 05-12-16, 07:31 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by queerpunk
the tricky thing about gearing - and about experimenting if you don't have a power meter or a stopwatch handy, or some way of objectively looking at what happens - is that sometimes your legs feel awful when they're performing well.

so you might think, "ugh, that gear felt terrible, i couldn't really lock in to it" - but it's possible that you did 4k faster than you ever had before.
True. I think that a bike computer with speed and cadence are enough to start getting handle on it all.
Old 05-13-16, 05:22 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
True. I think that a bike computer with speed and cadence are enough to start getting handle on it all.
for sure. it's like having a friend with a stopwatch who never ever forgets to press start.

unless you forget to press start.
Old 05-13-16, 08:25 AM
skysurfer

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
In the wild my track bike is not well instrumented if at all, part of coming up in a time that compukers were a luxury. The bike I train on is a bit better keep track of cadence, heart rate speed and I tend to pick a gear and stay in it, but lest I'm doing max intervals I'm gearing for the task at hand not close to anything I'd run on the track. Really just need to get to the track and do some test and tune. Been trying to not get caught up in equipment rolling and just concentrate on training. Only thing I've regularly played with is pedals because I've killed 2 pairs of Keo's in the last 6 months, Look gets the one finger up on those POS plastic things.

Getting on top of a gear hasn't been a problem it's staying on top of it. I pushed a comparatively big gear way ahead of some other people quickly from a standing start and held that lead for as long as I needed to. But that's the topic for another post when I get my thoughts together on it.
Old 05-13-16, 08:32 AM
skysurfer

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
weights all year?
I'm about 80/20 bike and weights right now. Current is near max efforts on a 4,3,3,2,2,1 set and told not to worry about it if I can't finish. Only ill effect I feel is if my form is a mess and end up a bit sore in the back.

Attached Images

Last edited by skysurfer; 05-13-16 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-13-16, 08:50 AM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm about 80/20 bike and weights right now. Current is near max efforts on a 4,3,3,2,2,1 set and told not to worry about it if I can't finish. Only ill effect I feel is if my form is a mess and end up a bit sore in the back.

sarcasm Baby!

i lift 48 weeks a year
Old 05-13-16, 09:06 AM
skysurfer

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
sarcasm Baby!

i lift 48 weeks a year
I just love asking are you using those 45's and start stacking them up. 3 more months and I can get out of the pseudo gym and on real weights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.