Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What's the danger of cranking up hills on a really tall gears?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What's the danger of cranking up hills on a really tall gears?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-19, 08:59 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
If I did 6-8 weeks of LSD, I don't know how much I'd remember either...

Someone had to make that joke...

For anyone not familiar with obsolete training terms from the 70s, LSD means... Long Slow Distance.
Old 08-20-19, 09:05 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by salamandrine

Someone had to make that joke...

For anyone not familiar with obsolete training terms from the 70s, lsd means... Long slow distance.
:d :d
Old 08-20-19, 09:36 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
My only reference point is way back in the day when I did a fully loaded tour England, France and Switzerland. I foolishly took my racing bike with 52-42 front, slightly modified with a 14-28T freewheel. After a month (including many brutal alpine climbs which necessitated grinding up at low rpm), one of my knees started exhibiting sharp pain on every pedal stroke. I stopped at a town and had a doctor I had examine me (free of course). He told me that my gears were too high for carrying luggage over mountains and that I needed to stop and let it recover (Duh!). I took a week off and it became slightly better, allowing me to finish the tour, but in pain. I think the concept is fairly simple...high stress on a mechanical joint (the knee) causes damage. Doing it all the time will likely result in chronic damage and pain.
Old 08-20-19, 10:49 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
YMMV but my personal answer is that climbing in big gears causes knee pain. I am currently experiencing this. It has been far too long healing but I am definitely much better. I prefer to stand and climb in a bigger gear but it causes time off the bike in the long run.

Old 08-20-19, 10:58 AM
USAZorro
Seńor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
... A second issue is the extra stress on the bike's drivetrain. There is the potential for a broken crank arm or pedal axle, both of which can cause loss of control of the bike when they break.

Steve in Peoria
I believe extremely low gearing can be more hazardous to everything in the drivetrain that sits behind the cranks due to the torque generated.
Old 08-20-19, 12:33 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,819 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I have sciatica in my left hip. Doctor sent me to PT.
I have a pinched nerve in my neck. Doctor sent me to PT.
Hernia surgery (alright, doc hacked into me first, but then sent me to PT)

So, unless I need to go under the knife, I think I'll just short circuit the process and go directly to PT. Saves time and money!
Originally Posted by iab
Technically, a doc has to write a script for pt. $20 copay for my gp, then the pt is entirely covered. And my pt and partners have a permanent residence at my place of work. We also have a pa there too who could write the script, but she can't get me the prince valium like my gp. 1 trip, 2 scripts and I'm feeling fine.
Depends on the state.... but California allows PT who hold a DPT (Doctorate of PT) to prescribe some therapy directly an not require a DR/PA/etc prescription. Most PT schools only offer a DPT any more. (I know this because my son and looked it up when he was thinking about PT school... now he is marketing major with a goal of being the go to guy for Reggae music videos)

Old 08-20-19, 01:21 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Getting much more popular these days as is Cannabis. Wonder what the long term concerns are?
none that i've read about, and my wife and i have done a lot of reading. we've also used it for several years for common, ordinary conditions with very satisfactory results. feeling some aches? take a little. feeling fatigued or stressed. take a little. a tree falls on your foot? take half a percodan and a couple shots of rum.....lol! kratom is great, but it has limitations. all these cycling ailments, though? it's a very mild, safe, yet effective alternative to these drugs that, imo, can be way overused. not to mention their known side effects.

btw, i've worked in a herbal/nutrition/supplement store for 20yrs. and, i've studied on natural treatment/health for longer than that. i know a lot of what people have tried with little to no to great success. kratom, ime, is one of the best. like any herb or supplement, though, it doesn't work for everyone. same with cannabis

Last edited by thook; 08-20-19 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-20-19, 01:34 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Someday, it may turn out that cycling is actually good for the knees. I know it helps my back when I've injured it. Any kind of pain I feel from hard physical labor goes away when I do a ride. Really loosens me right up.
It actually is good for the knees, but too much can be bad. My chronic knee pain is lessened if I ride regularly.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-20-19, 02:05 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
At age 61 I'm not a strong climber but over the past four years managed to crawl up from dead last on every Strava climbing segment to middle of the pack -- a little better on some climbs with smoother pavement or a tailwind.

Bike fit is important but with age and/or injuries, bike fit alone may not help with some aches and pains. Many of us will probably benefit from exercises in addition to bike riding. I did.

I prefer to spin, partly to save my knees, partly because it comes naturally. After I'm warmed up my cadence is 90 rpm like clockwork, and it shows in my training route climbs where I'm usually within a few seconds of the same pace on every ride. I used a computer with cadence sensor, speedo, etc., for awhile, but it only confirmed what I already knew so I took it off to save weight.

Spinning also tends to shift the effort and strain from extremity muscles to cardio and respiratory systems. First thing I noticed with cardio efforts was my diaphragm and torso muscles improved and there was less of that painful lungs-on-fire sensation, which also aggravated my chronic lifelong asthma. There's a theory among grand tour racers that it's easier to recover quickly from spinning rather than mashing. I'm not sure how applicable that is to non-competitive riders who don't race every day for a week to three weeks. I almost always take at least a day off to rest after 30-60 mile club rides.

After several B-group club rides I realized I needed to get stronger and vary my cadence. I'd start out okay but after 30 miles or so the group would pull away and over the course of 50 miles the gaps would go from a few seconds to a minute or more before I caught up at the regroup points. And, naturally, being rested for a minute and not wanting to get stiff, the group wants to take off immediately while the stragglers are still gasping for air. So you don't get any rest. The only alternatives are to get stronger or quit riding with those groups.

I've spent a lot of time in physical therapy, at home and in a clinic, over the past year after being hit by a car last year. I realized riding alone may not help. Some of us need additional exercise routines to strengthen and stabilize our aging joints. I've added lunges, squats, etc., and lots of stretching and massage at home to improve my joint strength and flexibility.

So I'll use harder gears now for training, being very alert to form. I ease up as soon as I can feel my form deteriorating -- too much rocking in the saddle or side to side while standing to pedal. That's where the injuries come in.

Part of the trick for me is to let my body weight do most of the work. That's easier with more gear selection and brifters; trickier with 7-speed or fewer gears, and downtube shifters. With more gears and being able to shift while still standing to pedal, it's easier to find the right gear to enable a natural cadence without needing to stomp down and burn up the thighs, or overworking the cardio/respiratory system using a too-easy gear while standing.

Handlebar height is another factor for me. I find it easier to stand to pedal with higher bars. It's less aero while seated, but a tradeoff for combining seated and standing pedaling styles. On my road bike with the lower bar, I'm leaning farther forward on the bike while standing, with less weight naturally falling onto the pedals.

During group rides I'll vary between spinning in easier gears and mashing or standing to pedal in harder gears, both on climbs and flat terrain. This seems to spread out the effort, giving the lungs and legs a chance to recover between hard efforts.

My knees are doing pretty well, considering the history of knee problems and arthritis in my family. My main issue remains the neck injury from being hit by cars twice since 2001. That will never be fully healed, but I can reduce the discomfort with physical therapy in addition to riding.
Old 08-20-19, 02:24 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,819 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
none that i've read about, and my wife and i have done a lot of reading. we've also used it for several years for common, ordinary conditions with very satisfactory results. feeling some aches? take a little. feeling fatigued or stressed. take a little. a tree falls on your foot? take half a percodan and a couple shots of rum.....lol! kratom is great, but it has limitations. all these cycling ailments, though? it's a very mild, safe, yet effective alternative to these drugs that, imo, can be way overused. not to mention their known side effects.

btw, i've worked in a herbal/nutrition/supplement store for 20yrs. and, i've studied on natural treatment/health for longer than that. i know a lot of what people have tried with little to no to great success. kratom, ime, is one of the best. like any herb or supplement, though, it doesn't work for everyone. same with cannabis
probably need to differentiate between CBD and THC, if not dealing smoking the buds

Old 08-20-19, 02:53 PM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Young man here

I switched to single speed in about 2013. By 2014 my knees hurt with every pedal stroke. I switched back to gears. It didn’t solve the issue.
I took a full year off the bike, then I got another single speed bike... a beach cruiser.

I trained on that like crazy and ended up getting quite quick on some of the local dirt trails. The difference was the gearing. The beach cruiser felt hard for the first month. Then my cycling muscles kicked back in and I could spin the cruiser out. Sometimes frustratingly! And for climbs it was fine as long as I was willing to spin enough to actually go fast.

Then in 2016 I got another road bike and made it a TALL geared single speed. It was very fast. And I grinded up hills, STEEP hills. Forcing my legs to grow muscles. But, after a year. My knees hurt again. So I Barry rode it. Back to the cruiser.

I like single speed. So I got a mountain bike and made it a single speed. And I chose an “easier” gear, 2:1 on a 26” wheel. Which was taller than the beach cruiser but not by a lot. But on steeper trails by knees would feel inflamed.

So so now I have gone back to gears on my road bike and guess what??

It is far far faster to spin up the hills! I’m using strava again and I’ve shattered some of the old records I’ve had, and I’ve only been riding road consistently for about 4 months.

Spinning is faster for me, and it doesn’t HURT. I have 42/28 as my low gear, I’m young and 165lbs. But I want a 32 out back. 28 occasionally hurts on the steep grades. In general though, I keep telling myself to downshift once if I’m too comfortable. “Spin it to win it” is my mantra and my climb times and speeds on the flats are proving it to me.

As as far as heart rate. I say, blow up your heart and lungs often by spinning up short to moderate hills at max RPM. You’ll soon have more fitness seemingly out of nowhere.
Old 08-20-19, 03:45 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
probably need to differentiate between CBD and THC, if not dealing smoking the buds
sure thing. so, i meant CBD when i posted.

it is true for both, though.
Old 08-20-19, 03:56 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Nice work on that Portland Century!
I would have needed a geared bike for that kind of ride but do love riding my single speeds on the mostly flat DFW rides.
Guess those coq swaps are just good times for a rest stop anyways
Did you do it fixed or free or both ??
That bike has only seen fixed. Both rear wheels are fix-fix. (I rode a 10-speed back when we used multiplication, then set it up as a single speed for a few years as my "B" bike. Started racing. The club vets told me I needed to set it up fix gear. I did. Tried to coast and crashed first ride. But I was sold! Never wanted to ride single speed again. That was 43 years ago.

(And I do not swap coqs, just cogs. Big, big difference! )

Ben
Old 08-20-19, 04:03 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Knees are a Buy Now, Pay Later situation....
Old 08-20-19, 04:06 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Stress multipled by time - lots of people I've known had knee issues from pushing big gears. Spinning lower gears is a lot easier on the joints.
Quite true.

I''m on my fourth surgical repair of my left knee.

Second on my right.

A lifetime of hockey (playing/coaching) didn't do them any favors.

Knee replacement is looming on the horizon.
Old 08-20-19, 04:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
How did I miss the latest Masher vs Spnner thread?

Originally Posted by MB33
On the steepest climbs I just kind of use my weight to push the pedals down, I can feel it in my knees but haven't heard anything pop yet.
You're doing it wrong.

Stand on the pedals.

Pull up with your right while you push down with the left, and visa-versa.

Now, when you can't push/pull any more, grab onto the handlebars and pull up with all your force (effectively increasing your weight on the pedals).

Then you do the "Wobble". As you are pushing down on the right pedal, push the frame to the left, effectively pushing the pedal up to the foot, and decreasing the length of travel.

A hill climb should be a full aerobic (or anaerobic) workout of every muscle in the body.

Originally Posted by iab
Ummmmm ...

Wouldn't a doctor be more qualified than the entire internet to answer a medical question?
Oh gawd no! Better to ask a buncha old farts and get a buncha opinions!

Keeping it real, though, I'm not sure that most doctors know that much about bicycle related sports injuries, and the wisdom of elders can be applied. Earlier this year my achilles tendon on one leg was getting sore from riding. @northbend told me to drop my saddle height a bit early in the season, I needed to get some miles in before stretching it back out. I did, the pain went away, and several weeks later inched it back up to the normal height. Doubt if there are many non-biking doctors that would have given me that advice.
You're proving my point, Ben. How many doctors ride a bike, much less race? Or are sports specialists? This is speciality stuff.

So maybe I'll take some advise of people who have been riding for decades over a random doctor. If that doesn't work, I'll find a specialist.
The problem is that there aren't good controlled clinical trials, or even longitudinal cohort studies.

We get left with a bunch of anecdotes, and people preaching from their pulpits of what is "right".

So, doctors just try to use logic to make sense of it, and repeat hearsay.

Even an orthopedist only gets half of the story, and sees the bad without seeing the good.

Personally I've mashed for years. I grew up with the 42/21 or 42/23 gearing. Anything bigger was a department store bike. And, that is what I climbed hills with, and toured with.

My cadence is slowly evolving, although I don't pay much attention to it. I injured an arm a couple of years ago, which prevented me from standing. Also some intense hill climbs in Portland encouraged me to try new gearing choices. I still like standing, and will do it from time to time.

I suppose it is time to put my 9x19 cassette back on my bike. Even my 9x23 cassette is rather departing from a proper corncob.

I've had bad knees for years. I can't say exactly when, but evolving from my mid 30's.

Now, in my low 50's, and I find myself addicted to riding. If I'm off of the bike for > 3 days, I feel it in the knees. Otherwise, the knees are better than they've been in a decade.

My father used to ride in his 20's and 30's. Then I think he almost stopped riding in his 40's. By the time he turned 55, he was in rough shape, and shortly thereafter got bilateral knee replacement.

I'm pretty sure many of my other relatives have had knee and joint pain.

My older brother has complained about knee pain some.

So, I know it is in the family. Time will tell what the cycling experiment will lead to in 20+ years.

I have a strong belief in "use it or lose it". And, a little stress is good, as long as one doesn't overdo it.

Translate that into real life, and it is complicated. Incorporate some stress, without hobbling yourself.
Old 08-20-19, 05:02 PM
Raleigh74

Bikes: '74 Raleigh Professional, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Nishiki Medalist, '85 Gazelle Champion Mondial AB, '81 Peugeot Course, '79 Univega Gran Rally, '85 Torpado Super Strada

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 20grit
I've snapped a chain before by mashing too much. Haven't noticed bodily harm. I'd expect component stress is your biggest risk.
I’ve done this too, but the chain was at the end of its life...
Old 08-20-19, 05:22 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,794 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

I have a strong belief in "use it or lose it". And, a little stress is good, as long as one doesn't overdo it.
Having ridden with Cliff, and knowing the mileage he's capable of, he's a good example of someone whose tendons and joints are built up like Superman's. ;-)

The LSD method at the beginning of the season helps built you up so you can thrash later, at least that's the common knowledge, it would seem.
Old 08-20-19, 05:45 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,794 Times in 2,281 Posts
Please note that the OP was asking about the danger of craning up hills with really tall gears - in other words, the risk.

Is there anyone who would say that there's little risk of overuse injury, specifically the knee? In my experience, it's a significant risk, although I agree that one can train to alleviate the risk.
Old 08-20-19, 05:57 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
The LSD method at the beginning of the season helps built you up so you can thrash later, at least that's the common knowledge, it would seem.
In my club 50 years ago new riders were set on a long term program to adapt to the machine, learn solid operational control, pedaling technique and the culture and etiquette of life in the pace-line before any real loads were imposed in training. That being said with 52/49 or 47 and five cog 14-24 gearing we were going to have to develop the strength and technique to climb the same grades local riders do today with 50/34 11- 28 and win sprints in a "small" 52X14.
How to do that? Long early season base miles at a conversational pace, often in a fixed ~70 GI, followed by dedicated hill work, group sprints and individual time trials only after a solid base was established.

Our program was tailored to the reality of the machines and racing terrain we had, and considered "easy" by the previous generation of racers.
Those guys were really Strong.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 08-21-19 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-20-19, 11:22 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I love standing climbing, personally.
Yep, but I think that the OP is talking about sitting and running low cadence/tall gears.

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
It was thought that muscles get strong quickly with training, but tendons take much longer.
I think this is true, early last summer I went HARD for 50 miles, muscles felt great, but I ended up damaging my achilles tendon and had to essentially take a month off the bike.

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
I like to stand up and mash - for a minute or two. Just to stretch out muscles that are growing weary of working hard in one position for too long.
Oh yea! I occasionally stand and mash a 7 minute climb on one of my regular rides, I need to want it pretty bad to stay off the saddle for that long though. But 1 or 2 minutes is pretty regular and always helps me out :-)

Other than that, I LOVE low gears, just put an 11/36 cassette on my carbon road bike, with a 50/34 crank up front, yea, 34 ring with 36 cog for my low gear, I do search out absurd steep long climbs and low gears make them comfortable.
Old 08-20-19, 11:44 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
Yep, but I think that the OP is talking about sitting and running low cadence/tall gears.
You think so? I guess it wasn't clear, and OP @MB33 hasn't been back.

Riding fixed gear taught me to pop out of the saddle and use the leverage of my full body weight whenever the gear is too high to ride comfortably in the saddle, and I think that is how I've gotten a lot stronger without injury. Ever since spinning came into vogue, an orthodoxy has sprung up that ye must stay seated at all times, and I think that's risky for knees even if you are trying to use low gears all the time.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-20-19, 11:57 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
You think so? I guess it wasn't clear, and OP @MB33 hasn't been back.
Yea, it isn't clear. I personally don't see how standing and mashing can be bad for knees, the only problem is most people can't stand and mash up substantial hills, 2000' or more (I certainly can't!), so they have to sit.

I bit off a beast of a climb early this summer, 3.5 miles, the strava segment says the average grade is %10, much of it is well over %10, I had 34/28 gearing on my bike, it was a bear, I could stand and climb comfortably in that gear, but I had to sit and mash as the hill was just too long/tall to ride it all out of the saddle, but the sitting just felt wrong on my knees, they were fine after the ride and the next day, but...

Riding fixed gear taught me to pop out of the saddle and use the leverage of my full body weight whenever the gear is too high to ride comfortably in the saddle
Yea, I am out of the saddle often for short bursts, and I too rode a track bike on the street for a summer back in 1986 I think it was.

Ever since spinning came into vogue, an orthodoxy has sprung up that ye must stay seated at all times...
Blasphemy! I love standing up and just hammering as hard as I can here and there, for short maximum bursts of power standing is the only way to go!
Old 08-21-19, 01:38 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
if the chain goes when doing this, it wasn't riveted properly in the first place, it is absolutely not possible to snap a properly installed chain (or stretch it - Jobst Brandt once wrote a piece about that) with the force of your legs, even when you're
And it usually happens when front shifting under full load, which is to be avoided at all time (don't these young dudes ever learn how to shift? )

I always was good on endurance but short on muscular strength in my more active days, and i found myself not improving any more no matter how much i rode. doing just a few training sessions in spring time climbing on the biggest gear available did give my speed a very noticeable push. If you're not riding to improve performance, there's no point in doing it as it *does* stress the knee joint (cartiladge, ligaments etc.) a lot, i wouldn't recommend doing it if you have a precondition there. Modern training methods may achieve the same results without that kind of stress, albeit also without the macho factor.
Old 08-21-19, 02:50 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
If I'm riding for fun, there's little chance I will hurt my knees after 50 years of riding, because I can always back off the miles until the knee feels better. Not so if riding a bike is your job, and I suspect people pushing themselves too hard is a factor here. I can still do stuff like riding up a hill in my highest gear, for short periods, and it doesn't bother my knees really at all, compared to my back, legs, or lungs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.