Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Trail Riding on Logging Roads

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-14, 11:56 AM
SultanWa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First post. I am 53 and I live at the edge of a vast logging area in Washington. I am thinking about riding the trails for exercise so I can be fit for another hobby. My wife runs the trails but I have an ankle that doesn't like that type of thing.

I am looking for advise on what type of bike to get. Any advise would be more than welcomed.

Thank you! Rick
Old 12-07-14, 12:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Sundays are best to not meet a Log truck on them..

big on Mid drive electric motor upgrades for hunters around here timber lands are on the mountain slopes ..

gated entry, closed .

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-20-19 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-07-14, 01:45 PM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably a 29er hardtail,but maybe a cross bike. Not sure what a logging road looks like. Here's is the one that I have. I like it very much!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
my giant.jpg (95.8 KB, 392 views)
Old 12-07-14, 02:12 PM
SultanWa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. The logging roads I will be riding on are either currently used gravel, think river rock, or unused roads that are covered by dirt. The roads also tend to be very wide and defined.

Freedomrider can I ask what is the price point of your bike?
Old 12-07-14, 02:23 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
I used to live up that way, and by your screen name I'd guess you live in Sultan....I spent a lot of time in Sultan usually launching for a fishing trip on the Sky. Anyway, I used to ride on just what you're describing (typical Cascade logging rd), and I used to do it on an 95 rigid frame Trek. Now days, I'd probably buy a 26 or 29 inch hardtail for that type of riding.

You don't need to go crazy on price (a low or mid level bike shop mtn bike will work fine) if you stick to the logging rds or easy trail riding up there, but with the potential for mud, I'd go with wider tires than a cross bike tire. Also, due to the weather and puddles, I'd look for something with disc brakes. They can be mechanical as opposed to hydraulic, but disc's would be good.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 12-07-14 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-07-14, 02:53 PM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike was $1850.00, there were certain things i wanted on it such as the fork that came with it, and its carbon which i like.Go to Giant, Cannondale and Trek website for more examples.As Willey said shop around. Aluminum is a good choice also.The 29ers are alot of fun.Go over just about anything.
Old 12-07-14, 02:54 PM
SultanWa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wileyrat,
Thanks for the input. Yes I do live in the Sultan area but I am miles outside of town.

Thank you for the input and your time!
Old 12-07-14, 03:11 PM
SultanWa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Freedomrider,
I understand bikes can be expensive yet I give myself a much lower budget than yours:-)

Again thank you for your input!
Old 12-07-14, 03:29 PM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure what your price range is but check this out.Diamondback Overdrive Sport 29er Mountain Bike - 2015
Old 12-07-14, 04:12 PM
SultanWa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Freedomrider,
Wow that would work! I am going to get measured tomorrow as I need to decide by Tuesday. Thanks!
Old 12-07-14, 06:15 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
SultanWa, Welcome to the 50+ Forum, great to have you join us. You might want to try a "gravel grinder" type bicycle. Basically they are similar to a cyclocross type bike, with drop bars and 700C wheels, kind of an adapted road bicycle, or a CX bike, but with road geometry. Most are showing up with disk brakes, either cable operated or hydraulic (TRP has a hybrid with a cable actuated hydraulic cylinder at the pad, too,) tires are variable in width and the tread's aggressiveness, according you your frame's dimensions, the area's roads and your desires. You can easily ride roads with these but they work really well on gravel roads, and similar such paths.

Blues Dawg, a member here, has built a neat "monstercross" bicycle as he calls it, super performing bicycle that he put together from a fame he picked up and built up with select components for the specific needs he has.

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll love cycling, it has kept many of us from rusting up and stagnating from the recliner syndrome.

Bill

Edit: the Diamond back looks sweet, get measured and get one, pictures are required here when you do get a bicycle!

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-07-14, 06:33 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I go up to Northwestern Oregon at least 4 times a year and always ride logging roads as they cultivate trees on a large scale--it is very safe, you can always ear the trucks coming and usually they are logging in a particular area--so you know where they are.

A good fully suspended MTB is what is needed, I have had over the years used no suspension, only front and now fully suspended and it is the best by far not only for relative comfort, but mainly for traction and control. I never tried a 29, not sure it adds anything?

Lots of wildlife as well as bears, dear, elks etc. and other animals have adapted--of sorts!
Old 12-07-14, 08:47 PM
SultanWa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again everyone. I was wondering if this bike might fit my needs, Marlin 6 - Trek Bicycle BTW I'm 5'8.

After looking at the price of full suspension bikes I will need to go with a hard tail to keep to my $600 budget.

Thanks!!!
Old 12-07-14, 09:06 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by SultanWa
Thanks again everyone. I was wondering if this bike might fit my needs, Marlin 6 - Trek Bicycle BTW I'm 5'8.

After looking at the price of full suspension bikes I will need to go with a hard tail to keep to my $600 budget.

Thanks!!!
At 5'8" I wouldn't rule out 26" tires, and as far as suitability, It's just fine for cruising around on logging roads and light single tracking.
Old 12-07-14, 09:19 PM
auldgeunquers

Bikes: various strays, mongrels, and old junk.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you're not so concerned with speed ... have you considered a fat bike? I have only ridden one a couple of times, and they laugh at the kind of coarse loose gravel or deep sand you may find on such roads - at lest if the logging roads here are any kind of accurate facsimile of what you have there.

- of course choices of fatbikes under $600 are VERY LIMITED ... (but I still want one - also for snow...)
Old 12-07-14, 11:23 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SultanWa

Thanks!!!
You could look at used bikes, sometimes there are good deals out there.
Old 12-08-14, 12:18 AM
SultanWa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well used bikes are out for an odd reason. Basically, my company will pay for exercise gear and buying used would make it difficult to get them to pay.

.....I work for a great company:-)
Old 12-08-14, 03:02 AM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yup,, that Trek looks like it would do the trick for you.
Old 12-08-14, 07:43 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
29er hardtail is perfect for your type of riding. Full suspension is overkill for the sorts of logging/forest trails you describe, unless you fancy trying out rougher ground.

Go for a bike with the best suspension fork you can afford. Don't worry too much about brand as most well known makes are much the same quality at relatively similar price ranges - it's just a matter of personal taste rather than objectivity. Disc brakes are good, whether hydraulic or mechanical. Personally I've never had any problem with V- brakes, but I also have had disc brakes and I can see the benefits in very wet, muddy conditions.

Ask for a test ride, if the dealer doesn't offer that go elsewhere.

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 12-08-14 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-08-14, 08:10 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Good choice for a bicycle, my wife has a similar set up, no disk brakes, though (Trek 7300 WSD.) Hers has v-brakes, no problems to note for her use, she is a strictly casual rider now. I believe you'll enjoy that one for what you described as your riding preferences. Tire choice will be a mater of your taste in varied use and the conditions of the roads you choose. Best of luck with the riding, we will be waiting for a first ride report from you.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-08-14, 12:24 PM
grampa.sjb

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, Surly Disc Trucker, Santa Cruz Blur

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remembering the logging roads in Oregon back in the day, I think I would look long and hard at something like Surly's Ice Cream Truck. I doubt it would be a speed demon, but, dang, no matter how deep the sand, how boggy the stream crossing, how steep the road, how jagged the gravel, a fat bike like this would keep on rolling!

Ice Cream Truck | Bikes | Surly Bikes
Old 12-08-14, 02:19 PM
SultanWa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey thanks everyone for the help! I just got this, Marlin 7 - Trek Bicycle
Old 12-08-14, 04:00 PM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to see some pics of the bike and the logging road. Nice job enjoy that new bike.
Old 12-08-14, 08:33 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Your new bike looks great!

I thought I would add that there is a custom-bike builder in Spokane who has designed a "national forest road explorer" bike designed to ride on logging roads. I don't know much about this, but ran across it recently when looking at "gravel grinder" dirt-road bikes. The pitch is that for dirt logging roads you can get away with lighter tubing than a gravel-road bike or mountain-bike, so the bike is designed with fat tires for the dirt roads but is supposedly lighter than some alternatives.

A little pricey, so maybe it's your "next" bike --

Here's the link, his site also has a blog with ride pics, etc. --

STOCK
Old 12-09-14, 08:49 AM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woohoo! Grats on the new bike - it looks great.Charlie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.