Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Tammany Trace

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-17, 06:31 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tammany Trace

We headed to the Northshore in a few days and plan to spend a couple of days on bikes exploring the Tammany Trace and any other bike trails nearby. My wife's not as avid a cyclist as I am, but with the flat terrain 30 miles each day shouldn't be a problem.

We're staying in Mandeville at the Comfort Suites (the fact the trailhead was less than 1/2 mile was why we chose this hotel). Saturday's plan is to head to Covington late morning, with stops at the various breweries (maybe on the way back depending on their hours) along the way and eat lunch in Covington, then back to Mandeville. Depending on my wife, we might ride to the lakefront then.

Sunday we'll ride the other direction to at least LaCombe and maybe to Slidell.

Monday is up in the air - maybe more bikes, maybe just drive into New Orleans.

Any advice on things to do while cycling the Trace? What are the best restaurants accessible by bike?

Also, is there anywhere we can stop and get a map of bike trails in the area? I looked online and the offerings are limited.
Old 05-31-17, 06:37 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No one?

How about cycling in New Orleans itself? Thinking now that we'll drive into New Orleans Sunday and then bike from City Park (saving Slidell for Monday) to the French Quarter and/or the Garden District.
Old 05-31-17, 07:31 AM
trsidn 
Jeff Vader

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200

Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I live in Baton Rouge, but I've never ridden the trace. NO has tried to put some bike friendly lanes around, you might look online for a bike trails map.

Tammany Trace can be found here.

https://www.traillink.com/trail/tammany-trace/
Old 06-04-17, 08:05 AM
NOLABIKER

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D, Electra Rat Fink, Electra Ghostrider, Nirve Cannibal, Firmstrong Urban Deluxe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmie65
We headed to the Northshore in a few days and plan to spend a couple of days on bikes exploring the Tammany Trace and any other bike trails nearby. My wife's not as avid a cyclist as I am, but with the flat terrain 30 miles each day shouldn't be a problem.

We're staying in Mandeville at the Comfort Suites (the fact the trailhead was less than 1/2 mile was why we chose this hotel). Saturday's plan is to head to Covington late morning, with stops at the various breweries (maybe on the way back depending on their hours) along the way and eat lunch in Covington, then back to Mandeville. Depending on my wife, we might ride to the lakefront then.

Sunday we'll ride the other direction to at least LaCombe and maybe to Slidell.

Monday is up in the air - maybe more bikes, maybe just drive into New Orleans.

Any advice on things to do while cycling the Trace? What are the best restaurants accessible by bike?

Also, is there anywhere we can stop and get a map of bike trails in the area? I looked online and the offerings are limited.
Sorry, just seeing this post this morning. Wish I would have seen it earlier in the week. Could have given you loads of information.

Maps are available at the official trailheads. The one right by your hotel should have some. I doubt you got much riding in yesterday with the rain and the Tour de Cure ride taking place.

As far as good restaurants along the trace, my favorites are in Old Mandeville. The Old Rail Brewery is right next to the trace at Girod St. Very bicycle friendly. They make their own craft beer and serve burgers, poboys, seafood and more.
Rusty Pelican is about three bllocks south of the trace on Girod St. Burgers, fried seafood, sandwiches and salads. Only open for lunch on Sunday and Monday. Great atmosphere.

McClains Pizza also on Girod, about two blocks south of Rusty Pelican. Pizza, salads, sandwiches, calzones.

Abita Brew Pub is right along side the trace in Abita Springs. Over-rated in my opinion. Have given them several chances in the past and after very slow and crappy service, I refuse to go there anymore.

Abita Cafe is right near the trace as well in Abita Springs. Breakfast served all day if that's your thing.

Check out the Abita Mystery Museum (aka UCM Museum) in Abita Springs if you have time and want to get out the weather. Only $3 to get in.

Personally, I don't care for the stretch of the trace from Lacombe east towards Slidell. Trees are right next to the asphalt which has been causing the asphalt to crack. Makes for a very bumpy ride for about two miles on the east side of the Lacombe Bridge. Not much off or along the trace between Lacombe and Slidell either.The bridge crossing is very scenic and many people stop to rest there, fill up with water and take a few pictures.

Covington has several local restaurants and the streets in downtown are pretty safe and easy to navigate by bicycle.

Buster's is a favorite. Steaks, seafood and more. They used to do a steak special on Saturdays. Not sure if they still do.

Vazquez's serves some great homestyle cooking. A little bit of everything. Cuban sandwiches here are pretty freaking good.

Google any of the places I've listed and you should be able to find more information about them. If they don't have an official website, there should be a Facebook page for them. Hope you enjoy your stay even though the weather sucks this weekend.
Old 06-04-17, 08:07 AM
NOLABIKER

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D, Electra Rat Fink, Electra Ghostrider, Nirve Cannibal, Firmstrong Urban Deluxe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh one more thought. If you drive into Slidell, go check out KY's Olde Towne Bicycle Shop. It's not a bicycle shop, but a restaurant. About the same food that the other places have that I listed. You can't get to it easily by bicycle though. Great old atmosphere with vintage bikes. Burgers, Po-Boys, Seafood, Restaurant | KY's Olde Towne Bicylce Shop Restaurat; Slidell, Louisiana (LA)
Old 06-04-17, 01:15 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks! Between the weather, the Tour de Cure, and car trouble (luckily, we were at the hotel when the car died), we didn't get any biking in Saturday. We did get some biking in Friday night - no car, so bikes were the only way around. After eating at Old Rail and getting back to our trailhead, we did find out night-riding is a no-no. Also tried Barley Oak - was not impressed.

Today, we rode to Fountainbleu and down to the beach, then over to the causeway. Tried to get the wife to go to Abita Springs, but she overruled me so we are headed into NOLA. Liz's Where You At diner for breakfast, the Beachhouse for refreshments.

Tomorrow, we'll ride to Covington. Already tried all the breweries (and I agree about Abita Brew Pub), but still lots to see and do.

Old Towne Bicycle Shop is the top of my list if we get into Slidell - maybe tomorrow after the ride.
Old 06-04-17, 09:26 PM
NOLABIKER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Today turned out to be great weather for riding!

I only mentioned the Barley Oak in case you were into all those fancy beers. I'm a Budweiser man myself. Even though the trace is supposed to be closed after dark, I've been on it at night too. The only thing I'm worried about is some crazy animal jumping out in front of me. How did you like Liz's? I've had breakfast there a couple of times. Pretty good food.

If you didn't make it to Abita Brewery, they only offer self-guided tours during the week. They also have a gift store and "tap room" that you can visit.

Brooks' Bike Shop is right along the trace in Covington. He mainly has used and rental bikes, but he's been getting more new bikes for sale lately. Not sure of his hours tomorrow, but if he's open you may want to stop on in. Patrick is the owner. Great guy. About a blok past him is what Covington affectionately calls "the world's largest Ronald Reagan statue". Makes for a good photo with your bikes.

Hope the rain holds off for you so you can get some riding in tomorrow. Watching the news right now and they are calling for 60% chance of rain. Should be about 8 miles from where you are to Covington.

You can barely see it in the picture I attached, but there's a boardwalk at the arrow. From where you are staying, it's possible for you to cut through the parking lots with your bikes so you don't have to get on the highway.

And be very careful when crossing Hwy. 59 on the trace. It's the second intersection north of the trailhead. It's crosses in the middle of an s-curve in the highway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
boardwalk.jpg (20.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-04-17, 09:30 PM
NOLABIKER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One more thing. Don't know if you picked up on it or not. Did you notice the white markings on the asphalt that read something like "In case of emergency, call 911 and give this number"? Those numbers area actually mile markers, spaced every 1/4 mile. So if you see 800 (which should be right by the kids playgound at the Koop Dr. trailhead) that's mile marker 8. 825 is mile 8.25, 850 is 8.5 miles and so on. Numbers will get smaller as you go north into Covington. Abita Springs is near the 4 mile marker.
Old 06-11-17, 09:43 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Got back a couple of days ago.
I really want to do this trip again, either when my wife is ready for longer rides or without her. I think that the full length of the Trace would make for a great out-and-back day ride.