Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What do you use for pedals with more float

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-18, 02:23 PM
Jackmen

Bikes: 2014 Giant defy advanced 0 with DI-2, 2013 Blue Triad TT Bike, 2015 Fuji Altamira CX 1.3 Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On my gravel Bike, I have been using a conventional mountain bike clip less pedal, but i have noticed these have very little float to them. I have also noticed if I ride it a lot my knees start hurting some, I assume because of the lack of float.

In contrast on my road bike I run Time espressos which are known to have some of the best float available.

I do like riding a mountain bike type shoe and pedal for the gravel bike to facilitate walking and for comfort.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a pedal that can work with an MTB type pedal, but has better float to bring better comfort?

Help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-15-18, 02:30 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
AFAIK speedplay frogs are among the kings of float, and MTB-style.
Otherwise I’m quite happy with Crank Brothers, although they do need regular rebuilds.
Old 01-15-18, 02:47 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Frogs
Old 01-15-18, 03:16 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackmen
On my gravel Bike, I have been using a conventional mountain bike clip less pedal, but i have noticed these have very little float to them. I have also noticed if I ride it a lot my knees start hurting some, I assume because of the lack of float.

In contrast on my road bike I run Time espressos which are known to have some of the best float available.
are you sure it is pedal/cleat float
vs,
a saddle position to BB/crank arm length problem?
Old 01-15-18, 04:19 PM
fixedweasel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yup, Speedplay's.* I run 'em* on all my road bikes too.

*Frogs
**X Series
Old 01-15-18, 06:21 PM
chris406

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Speedplay Syzrs. They get mixed reviews but I've never had any issues at all the float is great on my knees after ACL reconstruction in both. They are also very good in mud, I tested them at Land Run100 with success in the crazy wet clay conditions.
Old 01-15-18, 06:36 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
The Time Xpresso are only like 5* of float.

Shimano SPDs for example have a cleat with 4*, which is pretty close. Especially if you get the cleat alignment right. Cleats are cheap and available anywhere, and you can get top-end XTR pedals for only $90USD without even a coupon or code (cheaper for a top-end product than any other MTB pedal). Power transfer is great, durable, rebuildable. Win win win--if they work for you.
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...NoaW1hbm8gU1Bk

Another option is Time ATACs. LBS recs them if you need much more float than SPDs off road. Cleats are $25USD
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...Components&s=a

The Speedplay Syzr as mentioned less float than ATACs. Pedals aren't cheap and neither are the cleats. Reviews vary.
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...jsp?q=syzr&s=u

There's Crank Bros....but they don't have "float" as much as slop IMO. They also have durability issues IME.
Old 01-16-18, 08:21 AM
Jackmen

Bikes: 2014 Giant defy advanced 0 with DI-2, 2013 Blue Triad TT Bike, 2015 Fuji Altamira CX 1.3 Gravel Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
The Time Xpresso are only like 5* of float.

Shimano SPDs for example have a cleat with 4*, which is pretty close. Especially if you get the cleat alignment right. Cleats are cheap and available anywhere, and you can get top-end XTR pedals for only $90USD without even a coupon or code (cheaper for a top-end product than any other MTB pedal). Power transfer is great, durable, rebuildable. Win win win--if they work for you.
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...NoaW1hbm8gU1Bk

Another option is Time ATACs. LBS recs them if you need much more float than SPDs off road. Cleats are $25USD
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...Components&s=a

The Speedplay Syzr as mentioned less float than ATACs. Pedals aren't cheap and neither are the cleats. Reviews vary.
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...jsp?q=syzr&s=u

There's Crank Bros....but they don't have "float" as much as slop IMO. They also have durability issues IME.

So which one of the Shimano SPD pedal cleats has 4 degree float? Is it the standard one that comes with these pedals?
Old 01-16-18, 09:37 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 96 Posts
Frogs for me as well.
Old 01-16-18, 10:12 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
are you sure it is pedal/cleat float
vs,
a saddle position to BB/crank arm length problem?
I'm betting on this. From what I've seen it's mostly only zero float cleats that effect the knees. Even just a slight amount of float is usually sufficient. More often than not it's the bike fit that's the problem.
Old 01-16-18, 10:25 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

So which one of the Shimano SPD pedal cleats has 4 degree float? Is it the standard one that comes with these pedals?
SH51 is the standard cleat with 4*. There's also the SH56 multi release cleat.
Old 01-16-18, 01:33 PM
Jackmen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
SH51 is the standard cleat with 4*. There's also the SH56 multi release cleat.

Are these the same as 98 A cleats as thats what I have Now. My understanding is that this is a Welgo cleat, as wellgo makes a lot of the pedals and cleats for shimano. My current pedals are the basic shimano dual sided pedal that use the welgo cleats.

So do my pedals have 4 degrees of float? It doesn't feel like it.

As far as the bike and seat fit, I have it set up pretty much have it set identical to my road bike, and I dont have any issues with it.
Old 01-16-18, 04:30 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Are these the same as 98 A cleats as thats what I have Now. My understanding is that this is a Welgo cleat, as wellgo makes a lot of the pedals and cleats for shimano. My current pedals are the basic shimano dual sided pedal that use the welgo cleats.

As far as the bike and seat fit, I have it set up pretty much have it set identical to my road bike, and I dont have any issues with it.
Pretty much doesn't necessarily mean close enough. As a test you could get some zero float road cleats and ride your bike a bunch and see if your knees hurt. That would narrow it down to the culprit.
Old 01-16-18, 04:33 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
AFAIK speedplay frogs are among the kings of float, and MTB-style.
Otherwise I’m quite happy with Crank Brothers, although they do need regular rebuilds.
I believe the Speedplay SYZRs have more float than the Frogs, but I could be mistaken.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 01-16-18, 04:43 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

This is the first I've heard of Wellgo making anything for Shimano.

Generally, people rave about Shimano pedals and hardware...and, generally, people kvetch about how badly Wellgo stuff works while it lasts before giving out. I'm actually surprised Shimano hasn't sued Wellgo for infringement.

Official SH-51 in official Shimano SPD pedals have 4* of float. Can't vouch for SPD-a-Likes.