Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

New Brooks B190

Old 05-14-18, 07:32 AM
NOLABIKER

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D, Electra Rat Fink, Electra Ghostrider, Nirve Cannibal, Firmstrong Urban Deluxe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
New Brooks B190

I generally ride in an upright position on either my Electra Townie or when I want all eyes on me, the Ghostrider or Rat Fink. After lots of reading on the Brooks website, based on my size and riding position, I purchased the B190.

So I have a couple of questions for you guys that may be using the B190 as well. Did you apply the Proofide to the underside of the saddle and just a little to the top as the directions say? How often did you apply the Proofide when breaking it in and how often after that? I don't want to put the Proofide on it too often that the leather starts to soften and stretch too much.

Thanks for you input.
Old 05-14-18, 08:26 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't think the B190 needs different handling than the other Brooks saddles. I use Proofide on my B17s, applying it every six months (I also take the slack out then, maybe a quarter turn of the tension bolt).

Since my bikes have fenders, I do the top every six months and the underside once a year. I think the coating of the underside is important if you can get water on it in fenderless bikes.
Old 05-14-18, 08:26 AM
munkeyfish 

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrails Disc XL Frame. 2021 Trek Verve 2 Step Through XL frame.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I don't have a B190, I have a B17. I watched some YouTube video's and did some reading, it said to apply on the underside too. As far as how often, I seen all kinds of ideas on that, but most point to twice a year. Not sure during break in period though.
Old 05-14-18, 08:50 AM
NOLABIKER

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D, Electra Rat Fink, Electra Ghostrider, Nirve Cannibal, Firmstrong Urban Deluxe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks! I have fenders so I don't think much water will hit the underside of the saddle. And my bikes don't like the rain any more than I do, so the top won't get wet unless caught in a shower while on the back of my car. I'll be looking for a cover just in case though. I wonder if the humidity here in south Louisiana will affect the leather too. Guess I'll find out soon.
Old 05-14-18, 09:15 AM
munkeyfish 

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrails Disc XL Frame. 2021 Trek Verve 2 Step Through XL frame.

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NOLABIKER
Thanks! I have fenders so I don't think much water will hit the underside of the saddle. And my bikes don't like the rain any more than I do, so the top won't get wet unless caught in a shower while on the back of my car. I'll be looking for a cover just in case though. I wonder if the humidity here in south Louisiana will affect the leather too. Guess I'll find out soon.
I'd do the underside at least once. Maybe even once a year.
Old 05-14-18, 03:28 PM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by munkeyfish
I'd do the underside at least once. Maybe even once a year.
+1

At least once a year to keep the leather from drying out.

As far as keeping the saddle dry in the rain (we get plenty of thundershowers in Houston too), when you are on the bike, the saddle doesn't get wet (provided you have fenders, as you do). Sometimes you get caught out in a cafe, or you decide to seek shelter and you will leave the bike out.

My solution is one of my wife's shower cap that I have appropriated (complete with leopard spots!!...). When it starts raining, I take my hi-vis rain jacket out of my rack bag and the showercap, so my head doesn't get wet. It fits over the helmet! If I decide to seek shelter, I cover the saddle with the shower cap, go inside and order a capuccino...
Old 05-15-18, 05:37 AM
Buddha2499

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve never put proofhide on the bottom of the saddle, and I’m too cheap to put it on top of the saddle after I run out of the little packet that comes with a new purchase.

Ive has excellent luck with mineral oil though, I use the same stuff that goes on my wood cutting board. It soaks in nicely to the unfinished bottom of the saddle, and water can’t easily penetrate past the oil. Plus, liquid is a lot easier to spread around the underside of the saddle. i dont do the underside often, maybe a couple times a year. My oldest brooks is 10 years old and has held up fine. I use it when I can give it about 24 hours to dry before sitting on it again.

Do do get a rain cover though. Brooks sells some nice looking ones, but a plastic shopping bag will work. I keep mine in my saddle bag and put it on any time I leave the bike outside. If I’m riding in the rain, I don’t need the cover, of course.
Old 06-18-18, 09:51 AM
NOLABIKER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So I've put little over 100 miles on the new B190 and it feels like it's breaking in nicely. Only issue I had so far was coming down a pretty big curb that I didn't notice and the seat tilted back on me. Nothing that repositioning it and tightening down some more on the clam couldn't fix. I read some reviews where this was an issue. Going to head to the LBS tomorrow and see about getting something a little more heavy duty with teeth that may bite better to keep this from happening again.
Old 06-21-18, 02:19 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I do the underside when new, don't think I've ever bothered since. As for the top, a couple of coats when new, then whenever it looks as though it needs it and that's certainly not every year - it depends on how much you ride it and the conditions.
Old 06-30-18, 08:02 AM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a B17 and I coat the top twice a year and the bottom once a year. I avoid riding in the rain, but if I’m on one of those “tours” and rain is in the forecast, I just install the seat I had before the Brooks and use it. I just bought an additional seat post to make it easy. I like the shower cap idea though. I’d much rather ride on the Brooks since I have it broke in. I’ll have to check out the latest shower cap offerings.