Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Do you change your fit often?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-18, 05:55 AM
Tom L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

I always fit myself to the comfort I have on rides. most changes seem to last a couple of months for me
last night I was doing my after work ride of 20 miles, the last two weeks I have been experiencing some numbness in my hands
so after 10 miles I stopped, moved my seat forward 1/4". then continued another 10 miles with no problems.

does anyone else run into this? seems I am always fiddling with something , the gaps of adjustment are getting longer in between
but it seems there is always something to adjust.
could it be weight loss? I can't figure why for two months my fit seems perfect. then something crops up and a minor adjustment
will put things right
pretty sure things are tight, and not moving on their own. does everyone else deal with the same problem?
Old 08-24-18, 06:30 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Been riding a fixed gear for several months. Went back to my CF dream bike which was fitted for me a while back in 2011, and discovered I now ride with my seat 1/2" higher, and now need a longer stem.

So yeah, my fit changed rather drastically over the course of a few years, I don't think I've grown any since I'm in my 50's. I have lost some weight, so maybe I'm stretched out more. That's about the only thing I can figure might have happened.

Personally, I'm always changing and fine tuning my fit, I just hadn't realized how much all those small adjustments added up over time, to the point that I'm now riding a frame a full size larger.
Old 08-24-18, 07:42 AM
Tom L

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
well it's good to know I am not alone, maybe this is just the way it is,
the adjustments haven't been much, but that little bit seems to make a difference,

yet in a couple months it may seem to want to go back or forth to correct something else. I have had a pro fit, but that fit was
terrible after an hour or so, and had to begin changing from there.
Old 08-24-18, 11:48 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Here in coastal Rhode Island and southern Massachusetts we can ride our bikes most winter days but mileage is well down from warmer weather riding. Consequently, when doing longer rides and as cycling fitness goes up, I find I like being stretched out and the bar a bit lower. So as Spring progresses I go to a longer stem and drop the bar a bit and reverse the process with cold weather.
Old 08-25-18, 06:58 AM
pakossa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
If most changes last you a couple months, consider yourself VERY lucky! As the years go by, it just gets worse with me. Now, I'm luck if a change I make lasts a couple of RIDES!!! My record is making some kind of change 138 times in a year. Since 2008, I have made over 1,000 changes (NOT a typo . . . and yes, I did count). Many times, the fit feels so screwed up, it's like I'm on someone else's bike. So, I fool around, find out what feels better (and faster) -- usually, in the last mile or 2 of the ride -- then, a ride or two after that, the whole process starts over! (And, yes, I did have a bike fitting . . . SIX of them , in fact. And everyone left me LESS comfortable and SLOWER! So, I'm not spending any more on fittings.)
Old 08-25-18, 07:18 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I changed my seat a very little bit in April...haven't changed anything since.
Old 08-25-18, 07:18 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pakossa
If most changes last you a couple months, consider yourself VERY lucky! As the years go by, it just gets worse with me. Now, I'm luck if a change I make lasts a couple of RIDES!!! My record is making some kind of change 138 times in a year. Since 2008, I have made over 1,000 changes (NOT a typo . . . and yes, I did count). Many times, the fit feels so screwed up, it's like I'm on someone else's bike. So, I fool around, find out what feels better (and faster) -- usually, in the last mile or 2 of the ride -- then, a ride or two after that, the whole process starts over! (And, yes, I did have a bike fitting . . . SIX of them , in fact. And everyone left me LESS comfortable and SLOWER! So, I'm not spending any more on fittings.)
Sounds very familiar to me. I'm even worse because I'm always on a different bike. And the frustrating part is that a fit the feels good 4 hours into a ride, is not always the same fit that feels good during the first 5 minutes of a ride, I blame those damned wonderful ride-induced endorphins.
Old 08-29-18, 07:14 PM
DynoD500_SR20-d
I ride to clear my mind

Bikes: Dyno D500-Ribble Endurance AL (2019) Tigara

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Wow. I thought it was just me. It is even worst now since I am dialing in a Specialized Power Arc seat
Old 08-30-18, 01:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
No, but I did as I got older... mostly stopped riding the bike I got 35 + years ago..

in favor of something non road & not drop bar..
Old 09-01-18, 07:48 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
The compamy you keep

Originally Posted by Tom L
the adjustments haven't been much, but that little bit seems to make a difference,

yet in a couple months it may seem to want to go back or forth to correct something else. I have had a pro fit, but that fit was

Eddy (yeah, that one) was known for frequently adjusting his saddle height, after he being badly injured in a horrific crash. If it works, don't fix it. If it doesn't... fix it.
Cheers, Eric
Old 09-01-18, 11:20 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
No.
Old 09-01-18, 06:34 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom L

There's no substitute for actual riding to find out if that "pro fit" works out. That's not completely a diss on pro fitters -- despite the computers and lasers and decimal digits of precision, it's still a guess.

It's not unusual for me to need to adjust my handlebar height throughout the year, especially if it was not a great winter for riding. Handlebars can go down as my flexibility and core strength improve, they go back up if I'm out of shape.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-02-18, 03:00 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
I do this on bikes and also in the car on long drives. In my experience being able to move a car seat forward, back, up, and down, mean that I’m not stuck in one position. I think the adjustability is more important than finding “that one perfect position”.
Old 09-08-18, 09:25 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I think maybe it's because you get fitter and your core strength improves (or the opposite depending on what you're doing). When your core strength is better, you can comfortably sit more aggressively and when it's poor, your hands and other parts take more of the weight.
Old 09-13-18, 05:53 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,373 Times in 720 Posts
When it comes to fitting, experience pays. A fitter acts as a guide, the decision of comfort is decided upon by the rider, not the fitter. The more a fitter has been exposed to, the better they are able to guide you. School does not make a fit fitter. The first fit provides the static measurements, and everything else evolves from there.
For example: We fit a pro recommended to us by a certain person. He was looking for more power output. Watts. We set him up for it. The next week he was back and had us go back to his old measurements as the position we created was too uncomfortable as he was unable to adequately adapt to it.
For example: We fit a weekend warrior and over a period of 7 months refit him 7 times. It took us that long to dial him in because as his fit changed so did his fitness.

Yes, it seems the numbers are not static for everyone over time. Only a few never need a refit or two.