Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When I go...What then?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When I go...What then?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 09:20 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
On a more serious note...

It's hard to know where your families memories might reside. One of my earliest and fondest memories of my Grandfather was watching him shave. As a result, the old, worn out shave brush, straight razor and chipped mug are some of my most prized family items. I'd imagine giving your family the opportunity to rummage through your "junk" before selling it off or donating it might be important. You just don't know if that old, worn out tire pump holds a special memory in the heart of a family member. It might seem odd, but that pump might be something that triggers all the fondest memories a loved one has of you. I'm sure my Grandfather would not have imagined his shaving kit could be special, but to me it's priceless.

It's easy to throw stuff away. It's impossible to replace family treasures.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 04-26-19, 09:32 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Just don't let stuff pile up too much, and get rid of stuff that you're no longer using.
+1

No matter how much the stuff means to us it will never mean the same thing to those we leave behind.

Getting rid of stuff before we die is a great gift to them.

-Tim-
Old 04-26-19, 09:47 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
right answer is obviously to use it all to construct some sort of bicycle monster to honor your existence.
I think that's what he is already doing. But may not realize it.

Can you come up with another "right answer"?
Old 04-26-19, 12:07 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
my Dad is an avid knife collector. he is too old now to dispose of them, himself. no one in our family needs a massive research & sales project after he passes. dreading the day ...
What's he got?

M.
Old 04-26-19, 12:41 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Seriously, if you have assets and you don't have a will you're leaving your survivor(s) a mess to deal with. Do them a favor.
So true.
Old 04-26-19, 12:46 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
My wife's aunt left behind a large coin collection, but unfortunately it was not cataloged or tagged in any way. A whole lot of time was spent researching and finding reliable sources for valuing the coins. Appreciated, but it was a real labor.
Old 04-26-19, 12:55 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Speedevil, about 7 years ago I divested myself of the watch collection I had built. Glad I did as they are a serious problem when it comes to valuation and finding an appropriate outlet to sell them through if one is not versed in that endeavor. Now I just have my bikes, components, stereo equipment and coins to deal with, and soon components will not be an issue as they are whittling down quickly.
Old 04-26-19, 01:14 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Do what ever you want with it, it won't be my problem.
Thanks for commenting...
Old 04-26-19, 01:22 PM
billnuke1 

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I've thought about taking some of my bike stuff to the local bike club's swap meet. But I'm a bit scared of what I might bring home.
This is on my consideration list.
I would love to have multi group pre-season auction/sale/swap.
Old 04-26-19, 01:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
We have wills and all the big stuff is in a trust for the kids, so if we go simultaneously, that's all sorted out. If one of us goes before the other, we are each other's heirs, and besides all my bikes were purchased with community property funds so my wife will be the sole owner. However, I'm sure my son will be the one who takes possession of all the bike stuff.
Old 04-26-19, 01:28 PM
billnuke1 

Originally Posted by speedevil
Maybe we should consider nominating another BF member (or riding buddy) to help when this situation happens. It wouldn't need to be official, just a note with your will that has contact information for someone that would be willing to help with the bike stuff. My little herd has value to me, but she wouldn't know a Pinarello or Masi from a Huffy. They're just bikes to her.

I've already done that with respect to my watch collection and tools. My wife doesn't know what they are worth, and would probably let them go for far less than they're worth. A trusted friend could be a huge help, especially with all of the other issues that happen at that time.

Thoughts?
Yup. There are some bfers that I have dealt confidently with that I would put my trust in to.
Old 04-26-19, 01:30 PM
billnuke1 

I may have read this here...”I hope my wife doesn’t sell my bikes, etc. for what I told her I paid for them!”.
Old 04-26-19, 01:31 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
What's he got?
if I knew that ...
Old 04-26-19, 02:57 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
I've got a custom-built frame on the way, and I toyed with the idea of having my name on the toptube -- it's only $60 extra. But then I realized that, after I bite the dust, my wife would have to find another cyclist with my name in order to sell off the bike. So I skipped it.
Old 04-26-19, 03:02 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1
She has asked me, “What should I do with all of this?”.
Anyone have an answer when/if asked this question?
She is clearly just a little bit too interested.

Tell her that you cancelled your life insurance policy and she can sell it to live on after you have your tragic "accident".

The conversation will miraculously go back to whether Beto O'Rourke is secretly dating KellyAnn Conway.

Live long and prosper.
Old 04-26-19, 09:08 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Beat me to it. Don't die intestate. If you do, your state's law will determine which relative(s) gets your personal and other property.
Not to mention, the lawyers appointed by the court to oversee this process will take half.
Old 04-26-19, 09:51 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
When I go...What then?
I may have read this here...”I hope my wife doesn’t sell my bikes, etc. for what I told her I paid for them."
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have read on BF that a really nice bike is lighter than a f@rt, and more expensive than a divorce.
Good answer, @billnuke1.

BTW, I note you post on "the Cape." Massachusetts itself has two, and there are others on the Atlantic Coast. Does the Pacific Coast have "Capes"? If not, makes it easier to pinpoint your location.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-27-19 at 04:08 AM.
Old 04-27-19, 06:04 AM
billnuke1 

Cape Cod, Ma. The Island of Cape Cod.
Old 04-27-19, 06:48 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
…BTW, I note you post on "the Cape." Massachusetts itself has two, and there are others on the Atlantic Coast. Does the Pacific Coast have "Capes"? If not, makes it easier to pinpoint your location.
Cape Cod, Ma. The Island of Cape Cod.
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The creation of the canal separated the majority of the peninsula from the mainland.

Most agencies, including the Cape Cod Commission and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), treat the Cape as an island with regard to disaster preparedness, groundwater management, and the like.[
I see what you mean. We have a place on Massachusetts' otherwise improperly-named “Other Cape,” Cape Ann.
…[For a few years we have spent summer vacations on] MetroBoston’s scenic North Shore, a nice cycling route 40 miles long north of our condo in downtown Boston. The region is also good for road cycling, and train service with the fully assembled bike is readily available.

I described it in my Cycling Guide to Metro Boston as
…North Shore: Beautiful Atlantic coastline, especially north of Lynn, to include Nahant, Marblehead and Marblehead Neck, on through Salem,Beverly and into ritzy Beverly Farms, and up to seafaring Gloucester, Rockport, Ipswich, etc…
So one could travel by train from Boston to Rockport…which itself is an interesting walkable resort town, including beaches.

Rockport is on Cape Ann on the North Shore, and known as Boston’s "Other Cape," in distinction to Cape Cod, which begins at about 80 miles from Boston, with no train service, requires crossing one of two bridges with horrendous traffic jams on the summer weekends, and is best traversed by car.

Just last night I was chatting with a colleague who has a vacation home on the off-Cape Island of Martha’s Vineyard. They have to plan their weekends months in advance to secure car passage on the ferryboat.

ADDENDUM: Parking in the center of Rockport is extremely limited. and visitors who drive there often have to park a couple of miles away and be shuttled into town by bus.

Rockport as a convivial tourist destination was featured in the movie Coma (but not as the scary part).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-27-19 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-27-19, 07:30 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
I may have read this here...”I hope my wife doesn’t sell my bikes, etc. for what I told her I paid for them!”.
I only have one bike that's worth a hoot to anybody and my wife knows what it's worth, as she bought it for me
Maybe it'll be moved along before I croak. Everything else will be CO-OP or garage sale fodder if I get to sick to use it all.
Old 04-27-19, 10:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
/Open a Museum ?
Old 04-28-19, 01:13 AM
02Giant 

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Where there's a will, there's a way.
Old 04-29-19, 04:58 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
I think that's what he is already doing. But may not realize it.

Can you come up with another "right answer"?
my obvious first shot was godzilla but i thought i'd broaden it up to monster, maybe he is more of a king kong fan
Old 04-29-19, 06:00 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Store your will in a safe place, and TELL someone about its existence, or better yet, appoint someone you trust as executor and leave it with them.

You don't want someone finding the will after your death and tearing it it up because they don't feel like carrying out your final wishes, and would prefer to dispose of your stuff in a way more advantageous to them. Do not ask me how I found this out.
Old 04-29-19, 06:36 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Store your will in a safe place, and TELL someone about its existence, or better yet, appoint someone you trust as executor and leave it with them.

You don't want someone finding the will after your death and tearing it it up because they don't feel like carrying out your final wishes, and would prefer to dispose of your stuff in a way more advantageous to them. Do not ask me how I found this out.
since no asking is allowed i'm assuming you faked your own dead surfaced some months later as long lost twin brother (with newly grown goatee), but the will you left behind telling everyone to search for your dear old lost brother and give him your stuff was not honored

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.