Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for 2013 Allez

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-19, 11:25 AM
billiam88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

I recently purchased a fairly worn 2013 Allez Compact. I'm guessing it's 2013 because it's an 8-speed and looks identical to the images I found of a 2013 Allez Compact online (which I can't post yet)

The brakes are rusted so I need to replace those and I'd like to look at some affordable options to make this bike just a little bit better. I'm not the most avid cyclist, I mainly use this bike for short rides to work and the occasional 20-mile trip, so I don't need a complete overhaul or to have an expensive bike. My local bike shop suggested I install all new Shimano 105 groupset components but at that cost, I'd be better off just buying a new bike IMO.

if anyone has some suggestions for

- Brake Calipers
- New Cassette w/ Ratio for Flat Rides (8-speed)
- any other small things to improve the ride quality

it would be an awesome help and greatly appreciated, this is my first road bike and I'm looking forward to getting into riding!

thanks!

Last edited by billiam88; 05-09-19 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-09-19, 11:42 AM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
You have a few ways to look at it. Have a LBS (local bike shop) make recommendations and go with it (or try to convince them for cheaper parts). Or you can look at sourcing the pieces that need to be replaced yourself and either doing the work yourself or having the LBS install the parts. They will still charge you for the installation of course but they’ll also be able to tweak and get everything right.

But this all depends on how all of the other individual components look but you don’t have to go with the latest 105 (will that even work with an 8sp cassette?) rather you can look into the older 5700/5800 series. Or you can go down a level and use Tiagra parts instead. Tektro brakes would suffice for what you're looking to do which may be cheaper but then you’d have to pick and choose as mentioned above.

Its not necessarily cheaper to fix up an older bike but if it’s still a good frame and wheels are good then you can’t go wrong by going that route.
Old 05-09-19, 12:02 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by billiam88
Hi All,

I recently purchased a fairly worn 2013 Allez Compact. I'm guessing it's 2013 because it's an 8-speed and looks identical to the images I found of a 2013 Allez Compact online (which I can't post yet)

The brakes are rusted so I need to replace those and I'd like to look at some affordable options to make this bike just a little bit better. I'm not the most avid cyclist, I mainly use this bike for short rides to work and the occasional 20-mile trip, so I don't need a complete overhaul or to have an expensive bike. My local bike shop suggested I install all new Shimano 105 groupset components but at that cost, I'd be better off just buying a new bike IMO.

if anyone has some suggestions for

- Brake Calipers
- New Cassette w/ Ratio for Flat Rides (8-speed)
- any other small things to improve the ride quality

it would be an awesome help and greatly appreciated, this is my first road bike and I'm looking forward to getting into riding!

thanks!
More or less what luevelvet said - tiagra or tektro brakes. For a new 8 speed road cassette, you'll be looking at Shimano Sora or Claris. If you need a new cassette, then you probably also need a new chain.

I hope you didn't pay too much for the bike. A new basic Allez is probably around $850. The brakes, cassette, and chain will probably run you $150, assuming you install them yourself. But then probably you'll need new tires and assorted other things.

Good luck and enjoy the riding.
Old 05-09-19, 12:07 PM
billiam88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by luevelvet
You have a few ways to look at it. Have a LBS (local bike shop) make recommendations and go with it (or try to convince them for cheaper parts). Or you can look at sourcing the pieces that need to be replaced yourself and either doing the work yourself or having the LBS install the parts. They will still charge you for the installation of course but they’ll also be able to tweak and get everything right.

But this all depends on how all of the other individual components look but you don’t have to go with the latest 105 (will that even work with an 8sp cassette?) rather you can look into the older 5700/5800 series. Or you can go down a level and use Tiagra parts instead. Tektro brakes would suffice for what you're looking to do which may be cheaper but then you’d have to pick and choose as mentioned above.

It's not necessarily cheaper to fix up an older bike but if it’s still a good frame and wheels are good then you can’t go wrong by going that route.
right, 105 is 10-speed so its an intensive conversion. I don't blame my bike shop for trying to sell me on it .

I think for now I'm mainly focused on getting this bike in good working condition and throw in some small upgrades where I can. My gears were slipping so I just ordered a Shimano HG-50 8-spd cassette, an easy $25 spent. Now I'm looking at brakes, you said Tektro are fine but if I wanted to go Tiagra or Ultegra could those also fit, there are so many brake options i'm just not sure what will fit without having to drill new holes into my frame
Old 05-09-19, 12:11 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Out of curiosity, did the shop say why they thought you should get a complete new groupset? Was there something other than bad brakes and cassette? If the bike has problems shifting, or other drivetrain issues, changing the brakes and cassette isn't going to make it a decent bike to ride.

I guess I'd just caution that you really know what you need before you start buying parts.
Old 05-09-19, 12:34 PM
billiam88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Out of curiosity, did the shop say why they thought you should get a complete new groupset? Was there something other than bad brakes and cassette? If the bike has problems shifting, or other drivetrain issues, changing the brakes and cassette isn't going to make it a decent bike to ride.

I guess I'd just caution that you really know what you need before you start buying parts.
not that I know of, shifting has been fine besides specific gears slipping. I'm getting new brakes just because they are rusted, but they actually work great still.
Old 05-09-19, 12:49 PM
luevelvet

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
right, 105 is 10-speed so its an intensive conversion. I don't blame my bike shop for trying to sell me on it .

I think for now I'm mainly focused on getting this bike in good working condition and throw in some small upgrades where I can. My gears were slipping so I just ordered a Shimano HG-50 8-spd cassette, an easy $25 spent. Now I'm looking at brakes, you said Tektro are fine but if I wanted to go Tiagra or Ultegra could those also fit, there are so many brake options i'm just not sure what will fit without having to drill new holes into my frame
If you can, post a pic of the brakes in their current state. Just remove the first H from the URL
Old 05-09-19, 12:56 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
$25 cassette, $20 chain, brakes that work.

After that, buy the best tires your budget will allow, and call it a day. Ride it until if and when you think the bike isnt doing the job anymore.

Edit: If the brakes really do work fine but just have some surface rust in spots, thats easily solvable. Naval Jelly, or some vinegar and aluminum foil will clean it up quickly.
Likes For Abe_Froman:
Old 05-09-19, 01:00 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
$25 cassette, $20 chain, brakes that work.

After that, buy the best tires your budget will allow, and call it a day. Ride it until if and when you think the bike isnt doing the job anymore.
Yeah, when I summed to $150 for chain, cassette, and brakes, that was too much. Tektro 540 brakes will be maybe $40, and Tiagra brakes a little more.

The OP mentioned Ultegra brakes - that's not worth the expense on a 6 y.o entry-level bike, IMHO.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-09-19, 02:26 PM
billiam88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by luevelvet
If you can, post a pic of the brakes in their current state. Just remove the first H from the URL

thanks for the tip, these are Tektro Dual-Pivot I think. Do the Tiagra mount the same?

ttps://ibb.co/02VXTqZ

ttps://ibb.co/3mfb5Dz

ttps://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-BR-4700-Tiagra-Caliper-Bicycle/dp/B01AU1D0M8

Last edited by billiam88; 05-09-19 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-09-19, 02:33 PM
luevelvet

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
thanks for the tip, these are Tektro Dual-Pivot I think. Do the Tiagra mount the same?

ttps://ibb.co/02VXTqZ

ttps://ibb.co/3mfb5Dz

ttps://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-BR-4700-Tiagra-Caliper-Bicycle/dp/B01AU1D0M8
I see others have chimed in as well and I would certainly echo their sentiments here. Pretty standard setup IMO and the Tektro should work for you. You may consider posting in the Bike Mechanics sub-forum if you decide to try and tackle this yourself.
Old 08-26-19, 01:14 PM
billiam88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
checking in a few months later and to thank everyone for their help!

happy to say since buying the bike it's finally in great mechanical condition (IMO) and rides amazing, the best part is I was able to do all of it myself with some cheap tools purchased on Amazon. Here's what I ended up doing

- Shimano Sora 8-spd Cassette
- Shimano Chain
- Tiagra front and rear brakes
- New brake and shift cables w/ housing
- New handlebar wrap
- Shimano SPD pedals
- Shoes and Cleats
- Brooks C15 Saddle

all-in-all, including the cost of the bike I spent about $800+, but $150 of that being tools and shoes. I probably could have gotten a decent brand new bike for that money but this bike now feels like my own and I learned somethings along the way.

there are a few things I'd like to do but it's purely aesthetic at this point so I'll wait a bit, but a big thing is replacing the shift levers since mine are visibly worn in appearance (but still work fine). Can I use any 8-speed shifters or do they have to be original to my groupset? which would be the Shimano RD-2300. any good recs for nice looking and affordable shifters?

thanks and once I get my new saddle delivered i'll post some pics!