Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Advice was great, I jumped the log and hill + tree root on top yesterday!!!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-08, 08:45 PM
prhey404

Bikes: Specialized FSR xc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks to all the advice on here about learning how to jump. See my thread here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=383919

Since then, I went to the trails yesterday, and I jumped that steep hill with the tree root at the top! I built up my confidence and momentum, then right when I was about to hit the root, pulled up on my handlebars and I cleared it! I had to let out a loud "Whoo hoo!" After that, powered through the rest of the trail and didn't stop once over any hill. Also that day jumped over my first tree log! It was like a foot high. Once again stayed in a low gear and smoothly pulled up and over with ease. I love it!!! I continue to be amazed how I can easily spend 3 1/2 hours of pure fun getting to know the trails and testing my endurance and getting a full body workout. But amazingly it's not even about the workout! It's just hours of fun!!!

So, given that I finally cleared the hill/root and log, I went through a few trails that I probably shouldn't have, and have the scars to prove it. I fell once, and had to "hike" up a few cause I just couldn't handle powering up one hill right after the other and then multiple root-step hills. But I'm glad that I am getting a feel for them.

Also, when I first bought my bike and rode it around on the street a few days the saddle had my rear HURTING... So I got a wider one. But after going to the park and being off of it most of the time, I see why it comes like that. I can't lean back on my seat cause it's so wide that my legs get caught on the wide part. So eventually I will put the narrow seat back on.

Again, thanks for all the advice on here, and I am learning so much! I think for the second time riding I'm doing good, but have much more to learn about gears/brakes to really get the most out of the trails and my bike.
Old 02-03-08, 09:16 PM
Ted Danson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yay. good job.
Old 02-05-08, 09:48 AM
Bike Lover
Should be riding

Bikes: C-dale- moutain, Pedal Force RS- Campy Record, Quiring Ti XTR, Red line Monocog, S E F@r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats. Do you use bike shorts? They have a chamois that helps with comfort and wicking away moisture.

I found it took a while for me to actually be comfortable on the bike when I'm off it for a while. A narrow seat is important for getting off the back in certain situations.
Old 02-05-08, 07:11 PM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll get use to spending time in the saddle. I went on my first long ride in quite a while on Sat. and my bum was a bit tender the next day.
Old 02-05-08, 07:27 PM
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
my bum was a bit tender
Information I never needed to know.
Old 02-05-08, 07:43 PM
Bike Lover
Should be riding

Bikes: C-dale- moutain, Pedal Force RS- Campy Record, Quiring Ti XTR, Red line Monocog, S E F@r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
You'll get use to spending time in the saddle. I went on my first long ride in quite a while on Sat. and my bum was a bit tender the next day.
Hey, you can quit showing it us too (avatar reference).