Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

PR to shame those who menace weaker users?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

PR to shame those who menace weaker users?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-16, 05:22 AM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Based upon your multiple recent posts I am guessing that you have personal machoism/bullying issues.
I am sorry to hear that but trying to translate your issues into what you perceive to be road cycling culture is quite laughable bro
Old 06-19-16, 05:41 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
I have no doubt a campaign focused on getting motorists to interact more safely and courteously with bicyclists (more vulnerable, not weaker) would work. It's would take a long time and take a multi-media approach and be incredibly expensive, but it would work. Most folks I know use Facebook. Zuckerberg just took up cycling. If he were to set FB to give all users a bicycle safety message in their feed each time they signed on, that would be an easy way to cheaply get out a mass message. There are some good bang for the buck ways to do it. I just don't think the will is there.
Old 06-19-16, 05:47 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 789 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
This.

-mr. bill
I like my state's laws for cyclists and I like the Share the Road signs and I like the above link, but after all that, then it's time for us cyclists to take control, not some outside entity attempting to change behaviors of so many people. Too aggressive a campaign would only make things worse, just like those Critical Mass rides made things worse in their communities.
Old 06-19-16, 07:48 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by italktocats
5 minutes ago i was almost run over and chased down only to almost get run over again, and then loony floored it and sped off, there's no reason to even report it, what do you plan on stopping these kind of people with this kind of mentality?
In a case like that, I will report that type of driving behavior, and though reporting this type of behavior may not help me personally, but it could help establish a dangerous driving pattern for law enforcement on a particular motorist.

Last edited by dynodonn; 06-19-16 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-19-16, 08:34 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
If you think of yourself as a "weaker being" you need to develop some resilience.
Sorry for any confusion. It's not an opinion. Developing "resilience" wouldn't change anything.

It's the same as the new "Vulnerable User" laws being passed almost everywhere. Vulnerable is a fact.

When a driver comes up upon a biker: the biker is weaker -- that is, in English, the biker could be menaced or hit by the car without threat to the driver. In our culture there is a perceived opportunity to hassle, discourage, or even just not notice or respect another road-user and come close to them and scare them -- and the weaker user would have no recourse.

PSA ads to increase awareness would go a long way.

Probably only a few are so sociopathic that they'd cowardly menace bikers, but it doesn't take many. They feel emboldened. Maybe they're 1 in 1000. Yet they feel confident. PSA ads could help ostracize them. Let them know it's not tolerable.
Old 06-19-16, 08:37 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
On quiet evenings, I can hear the expressway from my back deck. It's over 5 miles away.
Yeah that expressway noise in America is just relentless... There is a great walking beach/park in San Diego... would be a great place for peaceful walking, except it is right next to a freeway, and the freeway noise just drowns out all the natural noise.

And even camping out in the wilderness... you figure you are way way out, where it is quiet... and as you settle in for the night... the distant sound of trucks rumbling down the freeway... sigh.
Old 06-19-16, 08:40 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I like my state's laws for cyclists and I like the Share the Road signs and I like the above link, but after all that, then it's time for us cyclists to take control, not some outside entity attempting to change behaviors of so many people. Too aggressive a campaign would only make things worse, just like those Critical Mass rides made things worse in their communities.
I think it takes all the approaches together.

When you say 'cyclists take control' to me that means push to have public orgs do 10X as much bike educating and PSAs. We can push PR and legislation and driver's ed content.

Protests also still seem good when needed. Or mass movements of some kind -- like MADD really raised awareness of drunk driving in the 90's.

It seemed to me that CM was entirely needed in the 90's and that it won and that it has largely changed w the times and is now a social ride in most places. We had a CM in our area years ago. It won, the city accepted bikers, now the same ride has become a social ride. Our local urban drivers never bother our social rides. But our lone riders still get both buzzed by oblivious/unskilled drivers and also sometimes menaced so change is still needed. There are several fronts to work on.
Old 06-19-16, 08:46 AM
JeffOYB

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
Based upon your multiple recent posts I am guessing that you have personal machoism/bullying issues.
I am sorry to hear that but trying to translate your issues into what you perceive to be road cycling culture is quite laughable bro
You're wrong.

Bullying is a problem in the USA. Crime is cultural. Our culture emboldens a few to act out against vulnerable road-users. (Other cultures have different expressions of sociopathy.) We need to cut it off at the root. Take it off the cultural table as an acceptable option. It'll need to be addressed from various fronts, but it can be done.
Old 06-19-16, 10:52 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
And even camping out in the wilderness... you figure you are way way out, where it is quiet... and as you settle in for the night... the distant sound of trucks rumbling down the freeway... sigh.

Years ago, I remember sitting along side on one of our local mountain roads, listening to the wind blowing through the tall grass, only to have it interrupted by a lone Cessna off in the distance.
Old 06-19-16, 04:26 PM
work4bike

Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 789 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffOYB
I think it takes all the approaches together.

When you say 'cyclists take control' to me that means push to have public orgs do 10X as much bike educating and PSAs. We can push PR and legislation and driver's ed content.

Protests also still seem good when needed. Or mass movements of some kind -- like MADD really raised awareness of drunk driving in the 90's.

It seemed to me that CM was entirely needed in the 90's and that it won and that it has largely changed w the times and is now a social ride in most places. We had a CM in our area years ago. It won, the city accepted bikers, now the same ride has become a social ride. Our local urban drivers never bother our social rides. But our lone riders still get both buzzed by oblivious/unskilled drivers and also sometimes menaced so change is still needed. There are several fronts to work on.
CM rides went away because people saw they were counter-productive. Mass protests are only good when you have strong leadership, no leadership in CM rides, just anarchy. A perfect example of leadership in protests is MLK and the civil rights marches.
Old 06-19-16, 04:47 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Probably only a few are so sociopathic that they'd cowardly menace bikers, but it doesn't take many. They feel emboldened. Maybe they're 1 in 1000. Yet they feel confident. PSA ads could help ostracize them. Let them know it's not tolerable.
It would be nice if it was 1 in 1000. According to The Sociopath Next Door, its more like 1 in 25.
Old 06-19-16, 08:51 PM
chedarhead

Bikes: cinelli,falcon super route. masi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The crying Indian was an Italian named Oscar de Corti if I remember correctly. I think he used the name of Iron Eyes Cody. Not pertainent to the thread but I just remember wierd stuff sometimes.
Old 06-19-16, 10:07 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
Maybe a catchy phase like "click it or ticket" with safe passing distance might be worthwhile too.
"If I can reach your windshield with my U-lock, it's your own fault."
Old 06-19-16, 10:18 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
But our lone riders still get both buzzed by oblivious/unskilled drivers and also sometimes menaced so change is still needed.
This one, IMO, needs the same approach a few cities have taken to some traffic enforcement; truly unmarked vehicles of models not commonly used by police. Throw a cop out there in variations of typical riding clothes, (everything from lycra to baggies and sandals) on an assortment of the recovered bikes they have around, but fitted with discreet red-and-blues and an ungoverned hub motor capable of at least short bursts of 35-45mph, and keep a regular unit nearby. (More fun, and easier to make charges stick if the bike actually keeps up until the other unit gets there for the takedown.) Once word gets around (via some people facing charges for reckless driving, assault with a motor vehicle, etc. and whining about it on Facebook until local media picks up the story) that any given cyclist could be the bike cop, you'll see a lot fewer people willing to take the chance of pitching a bottle or squeeze passing.
Old 06-19-16, 10:29 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by italktocats
5 minutes ago i was almost run over and chased down only to almost get run over again, and then loony floored it and sped off, there's no reason to even report it, what do you plan on stopping these kind of people with this kind of mentality?

people on bikes are real people, sure, but not to the person in the car, then everything outside the car is there to annoy them, and only them
the moment they get out of the car they suddenly want to have safe roads, no cars around, cookies and rainbows..
I am glad you survived the 'daily appointment with the loony'.
Originally Posted by jeffoyb
you're wrong.

Bullying is a problem in the usa. Crime is cultural. Our culture emboldens a few to act out against vulnerable road-users. (other cultures have different expressions of sociopathy.) we need to cut it off at the root. Take it off the cultural table as an acceptable option. It'll need to be addressed from various fronts, but it can be done.
​ditto!!
Never seen it before, but indeed, yes, a good message. Make it nationwide!

Yes, Nationwide. Probably already popular in Europe to some extent.

Last edited by Chris0516; 06-19-16 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-19-16, 10:45 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffoyb
you're wrong.

Bullying is a problem in the usa. Crime is cultural. Our culture emboldens a few to act out against vulnerable road-users. (other cultures have different expressions of sociopathy.) we need to cut it off at the root. Take it off the cultural table as an acceptable option. It'll need to be addressed from various fronts, but it can be done.
​ditto!!

Yes, Nationwide. Probably already popular in Europe to some extent.
Old 06-19-16, 10:55 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
A couple of years back someone posted on here a story about being buzzed by an aggressive driver while on his way into work. Unfortunately for that driver, the cyclist he buzzed just happened to be his boss, and the boss was less than pleased. I think that sort of thing could make an amusing and effective PSA. It might even cause those folks who are empathy-challenged to see how behaving like a sociopath can bring harm to themselves.
Old 06-19-16, 11:22 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You're wrong.

Bullying is a problem in the USA. Crime is cultural. Our culture emboldens a few to act out against vulnerable road-users. (Other cultures have different expressions of sociopathy.) We need to cut it off at the root. Take it off the cultural table as an acceptable option. It'll need to be addressed from various fronts, but it can be done.
You are wrong.
Where is harrassing cyclists condoned?
Please point out to me one specific example where drivers are seriously being encouraged to harm cyclists?
Your sensitivity is touching though
Old 06-20-16, 07:18 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts

It *is* available for nationwide use!

Originally Posted by ypsetihw
I love the idea, but who would pay for and produce the ad?!
Why not bike manufactures?
I (and about 500 other people, together with a grant from The Benter Foundation) paid for the 2014 Campaign. So-called "volunteer organizations."
If you want to know *who* pays for many Public Service Announcements, browse The Ad Council list.
(Hint, car manufactures don't pay for car safety ads.)

-mr. bill
Old 06-20-16, 11:09 AM
JeffOYB

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You are wrong.
Please point out to me one specific example where drivers are seriously being encouraged to harm cyclists?
You are wrong. You do not understand culture.
Old 06-20-16, 11:10 AM
JeffOYB

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
A couple of years back someone posted on here a story about being buzzed by an aggressive driver while on his way into work. Unfortunately for that driver, the cyclist he buzzed just happened to be his boss, and the boss was less than pleased. I think that sort of thing could make an amusing and effective PSA. It might even cause those folks who are empathy-challenged to see how behaving like a sociopath can bring harm to themselves.
good concept! ... PSAs of all flavors need to be made for change to happen
Old 06-20-16, 12:35 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
If you want to shame, I'd love to see aggressive drivers sentenced to community service, working with biking advocacy groups.

Last edited by jefnvk; 06-20-16 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-20-16, 02:06 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
The USA sense of macho has perhaps had some good aspects -- that advertisers appeal to -- but it has also always included "cowardly victimizing of the weaker."

It would be an easy national PR campaign to expose the cowardly evil of startling, squeezing, buzzing, honking, hassling road-users who are weaker. Maybe a bit like the old 'crying indian.'

Could that have a helpful effect? We're not used to that kind of embarrassing exposure of our values here in the USA. It would embarrass many. Could it change any? Or would there be a backlash to protect our "right to assault the weaker"?

You are joking, right?

I am sure you will shame the likes of ^^these people.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 06-22-16 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-20-16, 04:46 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
You are wrong.

You must never have read the comments on any news site when the story involves cyclists. People just love to belittle, harass, intimidate and threaten cyclists in those forums. Likewise, rare is the cyclist who has never been harassed or even attacked on the street.
Old 06-22-16, 11:40 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
The USA sense of macho has perhaps had some good aspects -- that advertisers appeal to -- but it has also always included "cowardly victimizing of the weaker."

It would be an easy national PR campaign to expose the cowardly evil of startling, squeezing, buzzing, honking, hassling road-users who are weaker. Maybe a bit like the old 'crying indian.'

Could that have a helpful effect? We're not used to that kind of embarrassing exposure of our values here in the USA. It would embarrass many. Could it change any? Or would there be a backlash to protect our "right to assault the weaker"?
If anything I think the fact that somebody honks means that they probably noticed you. Maybe you didn't look like you were paying enough attention.

Maybe it wracks your nerves, I would think so, but unless it's really stupid I would let it be. As I said they know you are there.

The constant usage of horns would indicate some poorer driving skills anyway. If the first thing one does is honk and take action second...

And remember that people have been brainwashed (by themselves) into thinking things really suck, they hear it every day, it's nonsense but nonsense repeated frequently becomes 'truth'.

That's as far as I can go before this becomes a P&R thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.