Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Small tire pump for the road

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-16-18, 06:28 AM
Tom L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

I have a couple of small air pumps, I always bring one on a ride with me, store it in a
fanny pack with my other tools, mtg, gravel, or road
I want to ditch the fanny pack and buy a small bag , zipp makes one that is 9" long 1-1/5" wide
and velcro's onto the top tube near the steering tube

the pumps that I own are just a little too long to fit.

does anyone bring a small pump that will develop road bike pressure with them that would fit into a 9" bag. I see a bunch at jenson not sure what to get

any help would be appreciated
Old 05-16-18, 06:33 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Why put it in a bag?

Leyzene road drive comes with a small bracket that holds the pump under your water bottle.
Old 05-16-18, 06:54 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
The Topeak Road Morph will not fit a lumbar bag in the horizontal position. But lumbar bags are getting more popular as I see them in mountain bike shops.

The newer lumbar bags are bigger in every way. To fit the Road Morph, it goes vertical instead of horizontal. This means the bag needs to have two separate compartments using two separate zippers. Usually the smaller compartment is used for smaller items like phones, and money, credit cards. That's where the Road Morph will be located.

To stabilize the Road Morph, it needs to have a velcro strap hooked onto a loop at the top of the lumbar bag. It looks odd, but on recreational rides, it really doesn't matter.
Old 05-16-18, 10:05 AM
Tom L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
Why put it in a bag?

Leyzene road drive comes with a small bracket that holds the pump under your water bottle.

I just want to be able to move the bag from bike to bike,
get away from having to buy 4 pumps, one for each

or do to much work to ride one or the other.
Old 05-16-18, 10:33 AM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm going to second what f4rrest said and suggest get a pump that mounts under the bottle cage. I've used a couple and found that I really like the chuck on this one from Performance Bike. I'd prefer one with a built in pressure gauge, but I'm a huge fan of those chucks. I have a floor pump with a similar one and it's awesome. A lot of pumps screw on to the valve, having one that attaches with a lever is nice. With it mounted under my seat tube water bottle, it's barely noticeable. I would recommend adding a velcro strap for additional security if you do get a frame pump, rubber bands and plastic clips have a tendency to let you down at the most inconvenient times (IE: in traffic).

Key thing to keep in mind with a mini pump is the skinny ones are good for high pressure, the thick ones for high volume. If you're going to be going above 60psi, you want a skinny one. I can attest to the one I linked being really easy to pump up to and over 100psi.

{edit** Just saw you're post about not wanting to buy 4 pumps.... In which case my suggestion would be to go with CO2. you're going to be hard pressed to find a pump that will fit in a bag (short of a frame bag) that will put any decent amount of air in the tire. You might find some really short ones, but they are likely to be too thick to get up to road pressure, or you're going to be working forever to get the tire aired up.

Last edited by pesty; 05-16-18 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-16-18, 11:33 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Blackburn airstik. 6" long.

For bonus, you get a great chest workout to get the tire over 60psi.
Old 05-16-18, 12:06 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,671 Posts
Crank Brothers Gem Short Frame Pump - just under 7 inches in length (176 mm); switches between high-volume and low-volume settings. I can get the tire up to about 50 psi using the high-volume setting and to about 90 psi or so with the low-volume setting.

Brilliant design; best short pump IMO.
Old 05-16-18, 12:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Assume a topeak road morph is too long? If not, get it as its fantastic. Doesnt make you pump 400 times and the hose is nice as it doesnt make tge valve move as much.

as for not wanting to buy 4 of em...just buy the brackets and swap the pump. Its no more work than remembering to bring water.
Old 05-16-18, 01:12 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Smallest pump I will use personally is the Topeak Road Morph Mini. I like it because you can put one end against the ground to pump the tire. However, at around 60psi it starts to become difficult to pump on a road tire. That works for me as I rarely get flats and 60psi is definitely enough to finish a ride with.
https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Mini-M...dp/B0187ZSA5G/

The Lezyne Micro Floor pump is bigger in size than the road morph mini but smaller than the full size road morph. I haven't used it but was considering it the next time I get a pump that would fit in my rear bag:
https://www.rei.com/product/831755/l...rive-mini-pump

If you want to be able to inflate a road bike tire to full pressure you need something the size of a full size road morph. I think the Axiom Enforceair pumps are better made so I've been buying those, but they're the same size if you want to be able to bring it up to the same pressure.
Old 05-16-18, 01:28 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,900 Times in 2,537 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom L

I'm totally old-school. Every bike gets a good working pump. That 's just as much a part of the bike as the seat, brakes or handlebars; tire pressure being as important is it is.

"Good working pump" as in capable of achieving any pressure I might want to ride easily with my skinny, 65 yo body and fully capable of quickly adding a few pounds whenever needed. Riding gravel? I drop a whole bunch of pressure, then pump the tires up again for the pavement of the ride home. I have used nothing but Zephal HPs, HPXs and Classics for the past 45 years because they work.

Ben
Old 05-16-18, 01:50 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Do they not still make the frame pumps that hold themselves just below the top tube with just spring pressure pushing the ends against the seat tube and down tube? I got an old one from the 80's that still works. A zefal I think. Of course I'm assuming it's from the 80's as the used bike it came with when purchased in the 20teens is from the 80's.
Old 05-16-18, 05:08 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
I have the Lezyne digital road drive. Kinda pricey, which is why I asked for it as a Christmas gift . I like the flex hose attachment, as it gives you a bit more maneuverability and "forgiveness" when inflating a tire on the side of the road. Some of the pumps that directly attach to the tube valve are harder to work with, because you have to try and prevent it from detaching from the valve and pump carefully (hard to do with very short and small pumps). The flex hose screws onto the valve creating a good seal, and lets you really manhandle the pump without fear of ripping the pump off. BTW, per the spec, it's 180mm long, or just over 7" long when unused.
Old 05-17-18, 09:48 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Topeak Race Rocket. Great little pump. I've used it on my hybrid and road bike. Fits in my Serfas medium Speed Bag with the expansion floor unzipped.

Useful extension hose, Presta and Schrader, threaded chuck. Good ergonomics for a mini pump.
Old 05-18-18, 10:31 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom L

I'm sure you could buy one pump that comes with a bracket, and then get 3 more brackets for your other bikes.
And this is where someone jumps in and says that CO2 cartridges are small to go with a little PDW Shiny Object inflator head.
Old 05-21-18, 05:52 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/l...NhdDEwMDM4Nw==

I have this Lezyne pump. It's 170 mm long. That's 6.7 inches. I carry it in my back pocket. Love the little hose attachment. You can get it without the hose btw.
Old 05-21-18, 08:38 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I've got a Lezyne Carbon Road Drive pump (about 7 inches long) and just put it in my back jersey pocket.
Old 05-21-18, 09:57 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Looks like Lezyne FTW.
Old 05-21-18, 04:38 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Lezyne here too. I got the medium sized road drive with the pressure gauge on the hose, hasn't failed me yet.