Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

New Michigan Safe Passing Law

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-18, 10:16 AM
markm109

Bikes: '03 Litespeed Blue Ridge; '15 Litespeed T5; '17 Jamis Renegade Exploit; '17 Salsa Fargo 27.5+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

League of Michigan Cyclists are thrilled to announce that Governor Snyder has signed our safe passing and driver's education improvement bills into law. These new laws, now PA 277, 279, and 280 of 2018, collectively codify 3 feet as the safe passing standard and will require driver's ed curriculums to include at least 1 hours devoted to bicyclists, motorcyclists, pedestrians, and other vulnerable roadway users.

Read more about the new laws here:
Michigan?s Safe Passing Law FAQ
Old 07-29-18, 03:20 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
That's good and all, and I'm glad it passed. But this law requires no money on the part of the state. I'd rather have them redo MDOT shoulder standards, basically mandating a 3ft shoulder on all paved, non-residential roads. In addition, laws be created that states a cyclist must use the shoulder where a 3ft+ shoulder is available and no dedicated bike lane exists. But this would cost the state money, and I don't think it would pass the state HoR.

That fact that even though bicycles and cars laws are meant to have shared access to the road, the probability of a car hitting us is still there, despite the 3ft passing rule. I'd like that probability lessened by giving cyclists a larger shoulder to ride on and moving us out of the same lanes as cars.
Old 08-01-18, 11:46 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Wow, that is good. I guess. Thanks for sharing. Not sure if it will make any difference, as the police often don't seem to care anyway.

Saw bike on the ground surrounded by ambulances and police the other day. Someone hit him good enough to break his collar bone. I hate to see that.
He was wearing a bright yellow jersey - don't know how the driver could have missed seeing him. Biker though he must have been looking at the phone because the only other thing that would make sense would be if the diver was trying to hit him.
Old 08-01-18, 12:37 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
That's good and all, and I'm glad it passed. But this law requires no money on the part of the state. I'd rather have them redo MDOT shoulder standards, basically mandating a 3ft shoulder on all paved, non-residential roads. In addition, laws be created that states a cyclist must use the shoulder where a 3ft+ shoulder is available and no dedicated bike lane exists. But this would cost the state money, and I don't think it would pass the state HoR.

That fact that even though bicycles and cars laws are meant to have shared access to the road, the probability of a car hitting us is still there, despite the 3ft passing rule. I'd like that probability lessened by giving cyclists a larger shoulder to ride on and moving us out of the same lanes as cars.
+1
We seem to be in the middle a robust road repaving spree. Very few outside the city (A2) have increased the pavement width so much as an inch beyond the fog line. And the last time I read the draft of the minimum passing law it contained the words "where practical." Based on who's judgement?
Old 08-05-18, 05:36 AM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I’m pleased with the recognition by the lawmakers that changes are needed. Maybe the driver’s education piece will help over time. I would agree that if there was a paved shoulder of 3 feet, most of us would be riding on it. It seems like most of the bicycle collisions tend to be from drunks or texting. Elimination of that while driving would stop a high percentage of these collisions, but that’s a responsibility issue that really can’t be legislated, only enforced and usually after the damage is done unfortunately.
Old 08-05-18, 08:03 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I like the combining of passing distance and drivers ed.

3 feet is probably good for many situations, but it is inadequate in some situations including big trucks, most trailers, and high speed passing.

Originally Posted by friday1970

At least around here, most new road projects for major through roads get the bike lanes or shoulders.

I can imagine waiting on existing roads, but I have been disappointed that several repave projects have failed to widen the roads, even just a little bit, of course, widening a road may be more extensive than just slapping a layer of pavement over the top.
Old 08-12-18, 08:43 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I can imagine waiting on existing roads, but I have been disappointed that several repave projects have failed to widen the roads, even just a little bit, of course, widening a road may be more extensive than just slapping a layer of pavement over the top.
Yep, a few come to mind in my area. 8 mile just west of US23. Denton Hill Rd North of M59, and Fieldcrest on the East side of US23. Repaved, but no widening of the shoulders. Just today on Denton Hill Rd, even as I was walking my bike (RD hanger broke), I was nearly hit by a grey sedan, even though I was clearly visible and using flashing lights, and on opposite side of a trough with 400yrds of visibility before the car came up on me. She/He just didn't care. Having that 3ft shoulder would have given me that extra sense of protection, and some sort of legal grounds had I been hit.
Old 08-22-18, 10:43 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
How come I get the feeling this will only be enforced after someone has been bounced off the hood of a distracted driver?

I welcome the additional legislation, as it seems that riding a bicycle on surface streets is taking your life in your own hands, but I can't help feeling pessimistic about enforcement by the local constabulary.

I agree with Friday's solution. 3-5ft paved shoulder on all new construction or reconstruction.
Old 09-17-18, 06:39 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
Welp that law didnt seem to matter the other day... as I was nearly clipped by a passing car with a police car idling nearby.
Old 09-17-18, 06:44 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I get a one-foot pass on nearly every ride these days, here in CA, home of the $35 Close Passing fine.
Old 09-18-18, 01:47 AM
Troul 

yep. If I could get a dollar for every close encounter...
Old 09-18-18, 10:38 AM
Roger Ramjet

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crockett 5, Crockett 7, 2016 Specialized Crux E5 Sport, 2016 Salsa Warbird 105, 2017 Trek Boone 5, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2019 Trek Checkpoint SL5, 2021 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2023 Trek Checkpoint SL5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Agreed. I often don't get much room as I'm riding on the shoulder.

Something I did see make a difference on a club invitational ride around Toledo. OH last month. On a 55 mph road, the hosting club posted signs periodically (every mile or so) reminding drivers of the Ohio 3-foot rule. I must say that I got the best treatment from drivers that I can remember for a long time. Maybe all they need is a reminder.
Old 09-18-18, 12:48 PM
Troul 

The Detroit metro local area should put in place postings next to or within the "Welcome to -City/Charter Township of-" for gaining driver's attention in safety awareness. Those types of signs could also be posted nearby public schools & even at the exit/entrance of parks/recre places as well.
Old 10-21-18, 06:53 PM
Matschwab

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not to be negative, but drivers ed also teaches you not to speed, use turn signals, etc. But maybe this will at least educate some?