Search this Thread

Old 04-01-19, 05:24 PM
thartless

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mackinac Island

We are going to Mackinac Island in May. Does anyone have any advice on shipping bikes from Florida to Mackinac. We are staying at the Grand Hotel.

Last edited by thartless; 04-01-19 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-01-19, 07:07 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by thartless
We are going to Mackinac Island in May. Does anyone have any advice on shipping bikes to Mackinac. We are staying at the Grand Hotel.
Just take them on the ferry. Folks do it all the time.
Old 04-06-19, 06:48 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
I assume you are flying to Michigan? I may be cheaper to rent bikes once you get to the island.
Old 04-06-19, 07:14 PM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by Oldsledz
I assume you are flying to Michigan? I may be cheaper to rent bikes once you get to the island.
I would agree, unless you're planning other riding off the island. Not sure where/why one post mentions shipping from Florida but the other does not.
Old 04-06-19, 07:24 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
I would agree, unless you're planning other riding off the island. Not sure where/why one post mentions shipping from Florida but the other does not.
They edited their original post to add the part about florida after your first post.
Old 04-07-19, 05:40 AM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by Oldsledz
They edited their original post to add the part about florida after your first post.
Yes, initially puzzled, but figured, on quotes, the software copies literally rather than using pointers.
Old 04-10-19, 11:00 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Mackinac Island is pretty tiny, with a loop around the entire island about 7 miles, IIRC. As others have mentioned, Rentals are the way to go, as it is about $20 or so a day.
Old 04-15-19, 10:23 AM
beachball42

Bikes: Trek Verve 2, Trek 4900 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I probably would rent as well. We did Mackinac Island a few years ago and took our bikes but we were driving. The crowds on the main strip can be a bit of a hassle because of all the shops and day visitors but the rest of the loop is nice riding. The other thing we found is most people stick to the outside loop but the inside roads were nice to ride and hardly anyone was on them Just remember, lots of horses also on the main loop so that water you may be ridding through probably isn't water, nor is that mud.

We stayed at the Island House Hotel when we went and loved the location, across from the marina so sitting out by the fire watching the people was pretty cool. The days were hot but once that sun goes down, it cools off quite a bit even in the summer.
Old 04-16-19, 01:39 PM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
You'll love it.
We used to go there for the day when I was a kid (our big family vacation).

Try to ride all over the island, not just around. It's basically a dome, so it has some nice climbs (nothing remotely difficult - they are not very long). It seems like 90% of the visitors are in the town (as beachball42 said) and there is also normally a gaggle around Grand Hotel, so getting off the main roads makes for a really nice ride - it also lets you see the really nice parts of the island.
I always used to ride up to the airport to take a break and watch the planes (my other passion).
Old 04-18-19, 04:42 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I can't really add much, except to say that once you're off the docks, the main street is going to be full of idiots live tweeting their walk around the shopping district. Especially on the weekends.
Old 04-20-19, 09:25 AM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by JLDickmon
I can't really add much, except to say that once you're off the docks, the main street is going to be full of idiots live tweeting their walk around the shopping district. Especially on the weekends.
And you'll quickly realize why tourists are called "Fudgies."
Old 04-24-19, 02:26 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
If on the island is the only riding you plan to do, just bite the bullet and use the 50-lb rental bikes.
Old 04-25-19, 07:32 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by beachball42
I probably would rent as well. We did Mackinac Island a few years ago and took our bikes but we were driving. The crowds on the main strip can be a bit of a hassle because of all the shops and day visitors but the rest of the loop is nice riding. The other thing we found is most people stick to the outside loop but the inside roads were nice to ride and hardly anyone was on them Just remember, lots of horses also on the main loop so that water you may be ridding through probably isn't water, nor is that mud.

We stayed at the Island House Hotel when we went and loved the location, across from the marina so sitting out by the fire watching the people was pretty cool. The days were hot but once that sun goes down, it cools off quite a bit even in the summer.
Yes, fenders with good coverage and mudflaps are highly recommended! Rain is not uncommon, and with high wind, can blow sand over the ring road. On our first trip there I took my Masi, and it needed a COMPLETE overhaul after the ride. Our ride was in October. Between the rain, horse stuff, and sand, everything needed washing.

But I did that ride two more times, once in the sun and once in summer rain with mudguards, and both were beautiful rides. The hill from the Ring Road up to the Grand Hotel is a challenge! There is significant bicycle parking, but bring decent locks and use them.
Old 04-28-19, 06:33 PM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
It's just not a trip to Mackinac if you don't have to clean horse poop off your bike.
Old 04-29-19, 02:56 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
If on the island is the only riding you plan to do, just bite the bullet and use the 50-lb rental bikes.
Well, not exactly. I rented a really nice fat bike there last time. I was surprised at how light and fast that thing was. That and it was a ball on the inland mountain biking trails.

Most memorable part of the trip was cruising on the ring road at 15-20mph, with those fat tires sounding like I was driving a monster truck. EVERYONE got out of my way. Not once did I have to yell "On Your Left!"

Rental certainly saves the hassle and ferry expenses of using your own bike. Besides, bike theft can be pretty nasty there - I certainly would not take my own bike there unless it was a beater. I never will forget a friend of mine thinking we had pulled a prank on him and hidden his bike, only to realize that within a couple of minutes of inattention someone had stolen it. Be careful out there.
Old 04-30-19, 09:01 AM
spacemaniss

Bikes: Fuji Jari, GT Avalanche, Trek T200 tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bikeflights.com has a lower rate shipping services for anything bike related. They use UPS and FedEx services but get a discount.
Likes For spacemaniss:
Old 05-05-19, 09:17 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Originally Posted by spacemaniss
Bikeflights.com has a lower rate shipping services for anything bike related. They use UPS and FedEx services but get a discount.
Bikeflights recently changed their carrier from FedeX. Supposedly prices have risen.

Check out Shipbikes as an alternative https://www.shipbikes.com/