Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Most hilarious or awkard or disastrous case of your utility cycling?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-15, 02:06 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

dd

Last edited by vol; 09-18-15 at 04:46 AM.
Old 09-18-15, 03:10 PM
FedericoMena

Bikes: Viruela, Piccola

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, the Taxi of Shame incident.

One day I had to do a supermarket run, so I set up the panniers and the big-ass saddlebag.

There were some bulky and heavy items on the list. Fabric softener, big bottles of shampoo, lots of milk, bag of sugar, that kind of thing. I reasoned that if I balanced my panniers well, I would do fine.

The first problem was to keep the bike from tipping over while loading it. I didn't have a double-legged kickstand back then.

The second problem was actually closing the panniers and the saddlebag. The heaviest things were at the bottom, but bulky items meant that I had to squeeze some things awkwardly and then had a hard time tying everything up.

Then my rear tire looked flat when I mounted the bike. "More pressure", I thought. I dismounted, nearly knocked the super-heavy bike over, unloaded half the saddlebag to get to the pump...

Eventually I remounted again. It was just too damn heavy. I couldn't steer safely, and it would have been crazy going out to the streets like that.

So I flagged a taxi from the supermarket's front entrance and asked the driver if I could load all my stuff, and then he'd follow me. "Will you be fast enough?", he asked. "I will, once I'm unloaded". And I was - although the jerk clearly was driving fast, there was thankfully some traffic that helped me catch up.

And that is how I learned just how much weight my bike cannot carry. Small grocery runs are fine
Old 09-18-15, 03:56 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by FedericoMena
God, wouldn't have imagined such a story! At least you didn't have a bad accident. Some other taxi driver could have driven away with all your stuffs if he liked them.

Thanks for replying to the thread. I thought there will never be a reply.
Old 09-18-15, 04:07 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About a year ago we bought a ton of flowers for the front of the house and I loaded them up into my Bullitt. I was feeling very proud of myself because we fit what would have normally been a carload of stuff onto my bike. I tried to push the bike off the stand and it wouldn't move. Duh, I forgot I had put the wheel lock on. Double-duh, I left my keys at home! I had to ride home on my wife's bike, face my mother-in-law who was watching my son and thinks we're crazy to do all this stuff on bikes and admit I forgot my keys and so are stranded at the store, then ride back to unlock the bike.

Old 09-19-15, 12:09 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by FedericoMena

One day I had to do a supermarket run, so I set up the panniers and the big-ass saddlebag ... And that is how I learned just how much weight my bike cannot carry. Small grocery runs are fine

My maiden voyage with the loaded bike a couple of days ago wasn't quite that difficult, but I definitely overestimated the balance, and underestimated the need for a center stand for heavy loads. For now I'm just using a bag atop the rear rack, no baskets yet. I tipped the bike toward me to hoist a stiff-hipped leg over the bar and nearly dumped it. Then when I got home I really did dump it, but fortunately it was in my living room - no witnesses.

I've dumped far more publicly and more embarrassingly with motorcycles, many times!
Old 09-19-15, 12:27 PM
rdlange

Bikes: '76 Peugeot Mixte UE-18, Bridgestone 'Submariner' picklefork mixte, Bridgestone KABUKI picklefork mixte, TREK MT220

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts
Caught my heel when dismounting a 'tall' mixte and dumped the loaded bike on top of me, right at the interseciton. all groceries were in cat litter buckets so no spills. Sold it and got a lower frame.... casually considering an even lower, step-thru 'ladies' frame with fatter tires for the shoulders, fields and shore. We are practicable, not macho, I guess...

Enjoy the ride.!
Old 09-19-15, 02:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Drama Free, nothing spectacular, carried a basket ball sized watermelon in the sling suspended bag of my Carry Freedom City Bike trailer,

Towed Behind My Brompton. to share @ a pot-luck occasion.
Old 09-19-15, 08:43 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Nothing too dramatic.

Last year I decided to register for the Eugene Disaster Relief Trials (DRT) Cargo Bike Race (Saturday, October 11, 2014). Problem was that I heard about it a month in advance, and didn't have a cargo bike.

So, I decided I'd build a cargo bike + cargo trailer.

Well, time flew by as I was designing and planning... And the week before the race I was hard into building.

I think I did the maiden voyage on the bike on Thursday before the race, and managed to break the chain twice in the first 2 days (at which point the Bell chain was removed, and I put on 1 1/2 new Shimano hg73 9s chains).

My trailer frame was aluminum. I'd been wanting to weld aluminum for quite some time, but I had never welded it before, and it certainly was quite different from steel. So, I was busy practising & learning, and finally was welding the trailer together on Friday before the race. I got it done (enough) Saturday AM, and the maiden voyage was the ride to the start line.

Needless to say, I hadn't shaken out all the bugs yet. The bike/trailer performed well, other than a moderate shimmy when heavily loaded, and at high speed.

However, the trailer design included 16x3" tires (used/recycled, of course) which I blew up to their maximum pressure rating.

About 3/4 through the race, I blew the bead off of one of the trailer tires

I did have a spare tire/tube at home, but it hadn't gotten packed, and I didn't want to ride home. And a blowout means unpatchable.

And try to find a 16x3 bicycle tire and tube at about 5:00 or 6:00 PM, Saturday evening.

I had to make that call of shame... that I was going to be indefinitely delayed

Anyway, I managed to find a super-thick rubber (thornproof) 16x1.75 tube at Wamart. I put it in. Blew it up to about 10 PSI (the tube took a lot of pressure to blow up to the point where it filled up the tire without the floppy bead falling off.

By the time I made it back to the start/finish line, everyone was gone... And just a few drunk bums hanging around the park complaining that my bike headlight was too bright

I managed to catch up with the race crew at an after-party to dump off the stuff I'd been hauling around (minus the water that I had already dumped). And, the tire with the bad bead, and thick, undersized tube held until I got back home.

=========================

Oh...

If anybody ever complains, I now run right handed rear skewers.

I managed to snag my antique straight lever Campy skewer on my trailer and busted the skewer.

I did discover, a #10 threaded rod with appropriate nuts and washers will substitute for a broken skewer in a pinch.
Old 09-21-15, 11:39 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
It seems as if I do quite a bit of thrift store shopping. And, there are times when a load just won't fit on the regular bike.

So, it seems as if I'm always buying something that ordinarily would fit in one's trunk, or on the back seat, and I just have to ask the store to hold onto it for a couple of days, until I come back with a trailer. It is always something little... for example one day a painting struck my fancy... so I had it held.

Oh, then there was the time I bought a thrift store trailer that seemed mostly complete. Trouble was that I was already towing a trailer. So, rather than try loading up the trailer, I decided to have them store it for my next trip. Then I could just pick up the trailer 15 miles from home, and finish my shopping trip with my newly acquired trailer.