Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Is this a pattern?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Is this a pattern?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-16, 04:57 PM
FedericoMena

Bikes: Viruela, Piccola

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this a pattern?

May I bore you with my memories of three rides?

1. Was on a long, hard group ride, on very rough unpaved roads through beautiful mountains. I had been doing the ride so far only on fruit / water for a couple of hours. I got extremely tired at one point, so much so that I had to push my bike uphill for a long stretch. I was saving part of my lunch for later, but I figured that if I was going to push the bike, I may as well eat something. So I had a sausage sandwich. And a few minutes afterward, BOOM, I regained my strength and was able to pedal pretty well again.

2. Was on a normal commute, running errands downtown. Stopped for a "torta cubana" - think of it as a meat lover's sandwich with ham, sausage, cheese, avocado, beans... On the way back home, there's a little downhill-then-uphill that I like to sprint. But that time my cyclocomputer marked 80 Km/h - I hardly ever go past 60 Km/h if I push it, so that was definitely suprising.

3. The other day I was on a ride with friends; our way back home would be uphill. Before the ride back, we stopped for tacos - carnitas, pork skins, avocado, beans. Then, while riding back, I suddenly got the urge to sprint on another downhill stretch - and again, the speed was surprising.

(1) happened during a period when I was learning to do longer rides, and it was what taught me to eat better during the ride - not just fruit/water.

In (2) I thought the cyclocomputer may be wrong somehow. But then (3) happened, and I'm wondering if this is really "have some fatty protein, wait a bit, then get ALL THE POWER"

(If this is indeed a pattern, I'll have to learn to conserve that energy instead of letting it all out in a single sprint...)
Old 02-29-16, 05:16 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Protein is good. Fat is good. So are carbohydrates.

(And now I am obsessed with finding a taqueria that serves a torta cubana!)
Old 03-01-16, 12:50 PM
FedericoMena

Bikes: Viruela, Piccola

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Protein is good. Fat is good. So are carbohydrates.

(And now I am obsessed with finding a taqueria that serves a torta cubana!)
Er, wrong establishment. You want a torterķa

Or DIY:

On a hot frying pan put some ham, sliced sausages, and melty cheese. Lightly toast a length of baguette. Spread avocado on one half; spread refried beans on the other. Mayonnaise if you want. Put the meaty filling in. Onions, tomato, pickled chiles. Done. It's done right if it collapses from being overfull while you try to eat it.