Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Coffee

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-16, 09:22 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Coffee

What do you fellow coffee drinkers like to brew and what is your go to method? It's not often I get the same beans twice (though I do have a few standard go-to if I just need some on the spot).

One of my college friends started his own roasting business near La Plata, MD. Wee Bean Roasting Company (https://www.facebook.com/weebeanroasting/) - I've had a bag (shipping is pretty expensive, so I don't support him as much as I would like) and it was super good.

We have some local coffee shops (LCS??) that roast their own beans. It's always nice getting a bag from one of them as well. My "go-to" if I am in Publix and just need a bag is Charleston Coffee Roasters (Charleston Coffee Roasters: organic gourmet roasted coffee beans online). Unfortunately, I haven't found them as whole beans in the super market, but it is usually on sale for 8.99.

I was in Atlanta over the last weekend, and my brother in law and myself happened to both be out of coffee. We went into a shop called Savi Urban Market and I came upon this:

My wife kind of rolled her eyes for a minute, until one of the workers told us that was one of their best sellers (along with roasts used for two Terrapin Brewery beers). Glad I got it, it's super good! Also found out that there is a Jittery Joe's Cafe a few blocks away from the office mixed in with some campus buildings.

My brewing methods are mostly a Keurig on the weekdays. It used to be just me drinking coffee and I felt silly using a drip machine. To get a better brew from it, I use it twice on the lowest setting (6 oz?) and refill my reusable k cup. The Better Half has been imbibing lately though, so I think it's time to put away the K for a bit and bring back the drip machine from the garage (can set it to automatically brew at whatever time - what could be easier?). On the weekends I like to use a French Press. I also have a moka pot I use from time to time.
Old 03-01-16, 09:30 AM
WhereIsBusyBee

Bikes: 2013 Salsa Vaya; 2013 Salsa El Mar SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also usually a solo imbiber, so drip machines are a waste. Therefore, I tend to moka pot or Aeropress, though I'd love a less fussy method for mornings. Any other suggestions from the crowd? But moka pot is a relatively low fuss method, I put it on while I pack my panniers, and it's ready to go before I ride.

For beans, I tend to use one of our local hipster roasters (Onyx or Arsaga's), though I sometimes get Mr Espresso if I go back to the town where I first tried it, for nostolgia's sake. Mr. Espresso was the first real high quality beans I really ever tried.
Old 03-01-16, 10:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cute can Logo ..

Our town has several Coffee Roasters, multiple Cafes (and Micro-Breweries) and a dozen drive thru coffee Kiosks ,

in the area.

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-01-16 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-01-16, 11:10 AM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly, I just buy whatever's cheapest at the store and call it good.
Old 03-01-16, 11:27 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
A couple months ago I decided to give in to K-cups for a while. For many years I had been buying whole beans and grinding them every morning for a French press, but the whole process took too long and I'd actually pretty often forget to drink it because I went to do other morning things. At work I just drink whatever's in the pot.

Grad school taught me to drink coffee, my first job taught me to drink alcohol

We have a neato new drive-thru chain around here called Dutch Brothers. You pull up to the window and it's a bunch of teens blaring rock music and acting flirty with each other and clearly having a great time; and the coffee is pretty good. At the rate they are expanding they might lose their charm but for now it's been great.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-01-16, 11:32 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Cute.

I roast my own beans but thanks for sharing...
Old 03-01-16, 11:53 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
I have never yet drunk coffee while biking.

At work we have free coffee from a Flavia system. Every morning at work I fill my 20oz insulated container with one cup of French Roast Decaf, and one cup of Barista's Blend Dark Roast. It's good enough. Much better than the sour swill we used to have before the company got Flavias in all the break rooms.

When it's hot, I will instead cool down with iced coffee: set the Flavia to 'iced' (makes much less coffee, hopefully stronger!) and run two decaf pouches and one French Vanilla into a 32oz plastic cup. Dissolve in sugar and non-dairy creamer, fill with ice (break room fridge has ice maker).

At home, I am the only coffee drinker, my wife can't stand it, so there's no sense having a big system. I use a Melitta cup-top holder for #4 cone filters. I buy my coffee from my local Grocery Outlet so it's usually about $5/bag. I'm not picky enough about my coffee to stress over brands, but I like dark/smooth vs bright/acidic, so I'll buy anything from Sumatra, if not try for Indonesia, else just something dark. Grind it coarse in the store, keep it in the freezer at home, I only make 1 or 2 cups each weekend, so each bag lasts a couple months. I remember back in the day I used to buy Sumatran coffee from Trader Joes or Starbucks, but it's been quite a while.
Old 03-01-16, 12:03 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Grad school taught me to drink coffee, my first job taught me to drink alcohol
My college roommate taught me to drink coffee. When I was a freshman, I blamed caffeine for my dad's skipping heartbeat, so when I needed a pickmeup for a test or something I chilled cafeteria coffee with enough ice cubes so I could chug it. It was intentionally nasty so I wouldn't pick up the habit.

But then I had a roommate who had the cushy job of restaurant reviewer for the student newspaper. He took me to a new local deli and taught me how to evaluate coffee. After that I wouldn't say that I was 'hooked', but I have been a temperate appreciater of decent-quality coffee ever since, always black, no sugar.

My motto is, if you have to add cream and sugar, it means you don't like the way coffee tastes!
Old 03-01-16, 12:03 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Cute.

I roast my own beans but thanks for sharing...
Sarcasm aside, that's cool!
Old 03-01-16, 12:05 PM
bmthom.gis

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
My motto is, if you have to add cream and sugar, it means you don't like the way coffee tastes!
indeed! Occasionally I'll add C&S, but not very often. I like it in iced coffee more so than hot coffee. The one thing I'll add in though is cream liqueur
Old 03-01-16, 12:13 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Yes, I C&S my iced coffee as well, but the point of that is not really to drink coffee as much as to enjoy a more liquid version of coffee ice cream
Old 03-01-16, 12:17 PM
bmthom.gis

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Yes, I C&S my iced coffee as well, but the point of that is not really to drink coffee as much as to enjoy a more liquid version of coffee ice cream
I'm glad I'm nto the only one who thinks that way!
Old 03-01-16, 12:21 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Took up the habit about five years ago. I use a french press and usually make one large cup with cream. So good after a long ride/run. This is the one I use:

Organic 100% Rainforest Alliance Certified Blend | Zavida Coffee

But I'm not so picky. I'll drink whatever the wife buys.
Old 03-01-16, 12:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Moka pot. My go-to is Major Dickison's but right now I'm enjoying some Dominican beans my folks brought me from their last trip to the DR.
Old 03-01-16, 12:41 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I also roast my own beans, usually ordering them in 20 pound bags (shippng is more cost effective), which last a few months. I usually go for Costa Rican beans, but like to sample whatever is in season from time to time.

Brewing, oh let me count the ways...

My dailky brewer is a Chemex pot, although getting the filters is sometimes a pain (Whole Foods being the only local source). On weekends, I will make espresso or be lazy and use the wife's Nespresso, which makes an OK cup. I used to prefer vac pots, but after breaking so many, decided to stick with the Chemex. Still use a vac pot from time to time for nostalgia and prefer it; a little smoother and fuller bodied to my taste buds. No sugar or cream for me thanks, I prefer it plain.

I used to start my morning rides with an espresso, so it ties in to cyclng!
Old 03-01-16, 01:07 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I usually drink whatever there is at the office. My wife survives on coffee and we had a Keurig for a few years. But besides the waste, she got to where the K-cups weren't strong enough for her. So for Christmas I got her the Ninja machine that does single cups, travel cups, full or half pots, hot, iced, blended, frothed milk coffee drinks, you name it. It's pretty handy. I've been using it on weekends as well.
Old 03-01-16, 01:25 PM
FedericoMena

Bikes: Viruela, Piccola

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weekdays' breakfast it's a nice and strong cup from the moka pot and milk.

Weekends it's capuccinos on a piston lever machine.

We live in a coffee-growing region. It's hilly and warm. Life is good.
Old 03-01-16, 01:33 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
Sarcasm aside, that's cool!
No sarcasm intended (if you've ever read any of my posts you'd know I'm not that subtle)...
Old 03-01-16, 01:53 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
This would sum it up for me: Café | LocalMile
Old 03-01-16, 02:25 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Been drinking coffee for 40 years. In my 20s and 30s I went to coffee bars and tried all sorts of delicious varieties. But when the coffee is too good, I drink too much. For the last 20 years I drink mainstream coffee, with occasional cups of the really good stuff. When I visit NYC I tend to go coffee crazy, there is so much good stuff!
Old 03-01-16, 02:37 PM
KenshiBiker

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
We have a neato new drive-thru chain around here called Dutch Brothers. You pull up to the window and it's a bunch of teens blaring rock music and acting flirty with each other and clearly having a great time; and the coffee is pretty good. At the rate they are expanding they might lose their charm but for now it's been great.
My only problem with Dutch Bros is that you can't get coffee. Oh, you can order your halfcap-decaf-mochaspressochino, but you can't get a cup of plain drip coffee. That and the line is too long, so I guess I have two problems with them.

Myself, at work I usually drink one travel mug of Costco French Roast brewed in a drip machine. On weekends, when I make coffee for myself I use an Aeropress; I prefer Maj Dickinson's, but often use whatever Mom brings back from her latest vacation.
Old 03-01-16, 03:03 PM
bmthom.gis

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
No sarcasm intended (if you've ever read any of my posts you'd know I'm not that subtle)...
My apologies!!
Old 03-01-16, 03:04 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
My apologies!!
Old 03-01-16, 03:05 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a French press and prefer central and South America beans.

Occasionally I use the stove top espresso maker. Or at work I'll make a pour over.

I'm the summer I'll make coffee ice cubes to make regular French press an ice coffee.

My wife likes her lattes and I used to make her one every morning before my accident. But since it she's switched to instant coffee/espresso.

My father in law used to roast his own beans but had trouble finding a consistent source of green beans.

We are lucky to have a lot of local roasters and coffee shops here. But they are expensive. I was checking out some Guatemalan Bourbon beans a few weeks ago at about $23 per pound. I switched to a local groceries bik section for organic beans at about $15 let pound.

My sister sent me some local Nicaraguan beans from where she is in Leon, they were called elephante beans and were huge. They were delicious.
Old 03-01-16, 03:46 PM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Wegmans Colombian, run through a Bunn Velocity brewer. That's about as fancy as we get.

As long as it's hot and strong, it's good enough for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.