Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ice filled Camelback?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ice filled Camelback?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-18, 05:00 PM
dougphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Ice filled Camelback?

I've been having lots of issues with the heat this year. A friend says he fills a camelback with ice to keep him cool while riding. I wondering how cool the ice would keep you vs having something heavy and non-breathable on your back? has anyone else tried this?
Old 07-04-18, 10:26 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I've hiked with ice and water filled camelbak. It never kept me cool. If the outside doesn't feel cooler than room temperature, it is not going to cool you off. By design, it should do a fair job at keeping the cold in. I wonder if he meant having cold water to drink helped him keep cool. I certainly prefer chilled water to 85ºF water when I am riding.
Old 07-05-18, 08:49 AM
dougphoto

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
I've hiked with ice and water filled camelbak. It never kept me cool. If the outside doesn't feel cooler than room temperature, it is not going to cool you off. By design, it should do a fair job at keeping the cold in. I wonder if he meant having cold water to drink helped him keep cool. I certainly prefer chilled water to 85ºF water when I am riding.

hmmm maybe that's whaat he meant, thanks for your info.
Old 07-05-18, 09:10 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
For long hot rides, I fill my 70 oz. Camelbak with ice, then add water. Works great. Been using it for decades. The way to keep cool on the bike is to sweat. The way to sweat is to drink. When you stop sweating, you are in deep trouble, right now. Taking plenty of water is what you do. A big advantage of a Camelbak on the bike is that you're more likely to drink because it's so convenient and safe with both hands on the bars and no bottle to distract.
Old 07-13-18, 10:14 AM
myqlj

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Camelbak comes in handy on longer rides w/o a C-store. Filled with ice, it seems to cool me(it has a channel for airflow between the pads). I've also frozen it solid for 100 degree centuries. Still cool by mile 90.
Old 07-13-18, 10:16 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I'll fill empty pockets with ice; that at least goes away completely when it stops being cold. I'd never want a Camelback on a ride.
Old 07-13-18, 10:20 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Never done it myself, but I know a double century rider who uses ice in a Camelback all the time for cooling.
Old 07-13-18, 10:30 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
My Camelback is fairly insulated, so I don't think there would be a lot of contact cooling, just cool water from it. I use it mostly as a utility pack without water... yes some sweat, but more of an inconvenience of ending up with a moist shirt than any particular sweaty feeling.

I've found may Contigo stainless bottles fit in standard bicycle cages (although they may rattle a bit).

I don't use ice, but they seem to keep the drink cool even if left in the sun.

Limited to about 20 OZ, I think.
Old 07-13-18, 10:41 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
For long hot rides, I fill my 70 oz. Camelbak with ice, then add water. Works great. Been using it for decades. The way to keep cool on the bike is to sweat. The way to sweat is to drink. When you stop sweating, you are in deep trouble, right now. Taking plenty of water is what you do. A big advantage of a Camelbak on the bike is that you're more likely to drink because it's so convenient and safe with both hands on the bars and no bottle to distract.
Before CamelBak insulated came along, I used a CamelBak Classic 70 oz. during warmer weather.

I hate drinking hot water.
Old 07-13-18, 06:23 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I used to take a camelbak into the mountains because I was concerned I'd run out of water (Honestly, I should still do it).

Things the camelbak provides:
1) handy storage for stuff. Brought a spare tire once when I was getting side eye from one of my tires and actually needed it.
2) TONS of cold, fresh water. I don't like drinking out of that little tube while climbing, but it's certainly easy to refill your bottle.

THings the camelbak does not provide.
1) any sort of cooling. Well, you might get some dripping condensation from the bladder, which is a benefit.

But if you have excess amounts of fresh, cold water... you can drizzle some down your back and that feels divine when you're hot. Oh, and you can wet your sunsleeves with fresh water when you have something sugary in your bottles, so there's that.

Roadies love to hate them but they're crazy useful.
Old 07-21-18, 03:16 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Ice

I’ll use a water bladder with ice on long rides when it hot. Like over 95 F. My older
camelbak does feel cool if the temperature is over 100 F. But otherwise the cold water is refreshing. Give it a try.
Old 07-21-18, 04:07 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I have a very old Camelback that has mesh on the side that contacts the back. It has an insulated insert to cover the mesh for colder days.
Old 07-21-18, 07:43 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
I just put ice in my insulated Camelbak Podium bottles.
Old 07-21-18, 08:06 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
What Trojan said!

I use one all the time. The ice water may provide some internal cooling, but the bag does not other than maybe keeping the direct sun off your back.

Crushed ice or cubes doesn't last long. Freeze a couple of 500ml bottled water, run a little hot water over them and slice the plastic off. Place in the bladder and then top off. (this also keeps the "earthquake emergency" water stock rotated. Otherwise it would sit until it aged out)

A 3L with two 500ml ice cylinders is enough for 80-100mi and still cold till 80mi in 90+ heat.
Old 07-22-18, 08:24 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by dougphoto
I've been having lots of issues with the heat this year. A friend says he fills a camelback with ice to keep him cool while riding. I wondering how cool the ice would keep you vs having something heavy and non-breathable on your back? has anyone else tried this?
Depends on how long you're out there.

Once you've melted that ice -- which doesn't take that long, the pack is a liability.