Old 08-06-18, 03:19 PM
ron m

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Camber Comp, Lemond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Suggestions Needed

I'm going to be in the Claremont/Pomona area in early October with a couple of extra days to enjoy some biking. I'm from the east coast and ride both a road bike mainly on flat road and a mountain bike through sandy trails. I've found a couple of interesting road routes on MapMyRide and I've heard of some decent mountain trails in area. In Claremont, should I rent a road bike or a mountain bike? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-18, 10:39 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Dunno about the bike rental situation around there, but here is a route which I have enjoyed a few times.
Old 08-07-18, 10:12 AM
ron m

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyThePinhead
Dunno about the bike rental situation around there, but here is a route which I have enjoyed a few times.
Thank you.
Old 08-07-18, 11:12 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
you could do either or both. my experience is on the road side and there are some fantastic climbs in the san gabriel mtns/angeles national forest nearby. ca hwy 39 to crystal lake (and even farther to ca hwy 2 and dawson saddle at 7,900 ft), mt. baldy rd to the ski lifts and glendora mtn rd/glendora ridge rd (gmr/grr) are all challenging, epic and scenic. if climbing’s not your thing, the previously posted route works or you can head south from claremont and eventually join up with the santa ana river trail (sart) which will take you to the ocean/beaches. that would be a longer ride-closer to a century-there and back but would be pretty flat. october is my favorite riding month in so cal.

Last edited by diphthong; 08-07-18 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-07-18, 11:37 AM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
The climbs in the San Gabriels are definitely the first choice and in October should be really scenic. And, you could go back with bragging rights on riding one of the Tour of California's toughest stages.

For flat it might be easier to get to the San Gabriel River Trail, than the Santa Ana . Just follow Baseline on over. It would be about a century to the beach and back but with only a 1200' or so of elevation change. Most likely a tailwind all the way back, but in October we sometimes get wind conditions (Santa Ana's) that run opposite of normal.

There's a MUP that runs from the Claremont metro station to San Bernardino but it's flat, boring, has annoying expansion cracks about every twelve feet, and most likely a stiff headwind coming back in the afternoon. Not recommended.

Last edited by TGT1; 08-07-18 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-08-18, 05:03 AM
ron m

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ooga-booga and TGT1 - Thank you! The eastern coastal plains don't provide many climbing opportunities so I want to do something like you suggest for a change and for "bragging rights". I truly appreciate the input.
Old 08-08-18, 11:13 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
the dirt riding should be spectacular as well, since there are many dirt paths and fire roads in the area. having hiked the area a bit, i’ve come across a few but don’t have any specific mtb ride recommendations. i’m sure the rental shop/local shop would have plenty of ideas. if you’ve got enough time, stamina and gear, you could do the mtb thing a few days, then switch over to roadie mode and cover all the bases. factor in the mtb routes would likely find you driving 5-10 miles to the trailhead

Last edited by diphthong; 08-08-18 at 11:17 AM.