Old 10-01-18, 10:38 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tunavic
A number of years ago there was a clyde GMR ride organized by former forum member Mr Beanz. I couldn't make it that day but said I would do it some day.
I remember the guy, first time I went up, he rode with me encouraging me to the shack. I never would have tried had it not been for him. 4 Ride Around the Bears and one Breathless Agony later, I'm glad I listened to him or I'd still be a Clyde sitting on the couch.
Old 10-01-18, 10:48 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWhoCycling
I remember the guy, first time I went up, he rode with me encouraging me to the shack. I never would have tried had it not been for him. 4 Ride Around the Bears and one Breathless Agony later, I'm glad I listened to him or I'd still be a Clyde sitting on the couch.
inspiration is where you find it.
Old 10-01-18, 11:05 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

i'll take the switchbacks uphill from mt. baldy village anytime vs. the mentally crushing and seemingly endless "bowling alley" just before the end.
Old 10-02-18, 06:01 AM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyNH
Amen to that! But I was hurting badly and nearly got sick with a cold too.
Now, I agree that cycling is an old man sport, but to put it in the same category with golf is offensive.
Golf is a game, not a sport! Not the same category at all!

If you adhere to the Hemingway definition.
Old 10-02-18, 09:45 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I've always differentiated thusly: if you can drink beer and it improves your output, it's an activity, not a sport. Golf definitely qualifies.
Old 10-03-18, 12:37 PM
JimmyNH
Dilligaf

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
OK, glad we agreed on golf. Now back to cycling. How about we stop longing about the past and organize the most memorable GMR ride ever in the near future?!! And make it memorable for the right reasons, not for crappy weather. For example, have a beer truck as a SAG vehicle? Or at least start the ride like the last stage of TdF with beer can in hand and a cigarette? Or/and leave your helmets at home and party (errr… ride) like it’s 1985? Any takers? Or you’d rather sit in front of a computer and jabber about how cycling is better than golf?
Old 10-03-18, 12:43 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
My first and only GMR with the Clydes was sometime back in 2013.

On the way down a family of deer decided to cross in front of me and slow down to take a look at the hombre loco, wearing the funny clothing and descending at over 30 mph.

It was definitely a pucker-up moment.
Old 10-03-18, 02:11 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by JimmyNH
OK, glad we agreed on golf. Now back to cycling. How about we stop longing about the past and organize the most memorable GMR ride ever in the near future?!! And make it memorable for the right reasons, not for crappy weather. For example, have a beer truck as a SAG vehicle? Or at least start the ride like the last stage of TdF with beer can in hand and a cigarette? Or/and leave your helmets at home and party (errr… ride) like it’s 1985? Any takers? Or you’d rather sit in front of a computer and jabber about how cycling is better than golf?
i’m on vaca from monday the 8th > tuesday the 16th. not entirely opposed to hitting gmr on that saturday or sunday. wanted to come up to the la area to do some riding anyway.
Old 10-03-18, 02:19 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Perhaps infuenced by proximity, but I'll take the Hwy38/Valley of the Falls climb to Forest Falls over GMR/GRR pretty much any day. Both are crazy steep at the end, but Forest Falls is quiet and shady, there's no one around, and there's a nice General Store. Probably why I've done GMR four times now (I think? Maybe 5?) but I'm past a dozen trips to Forest Falls.

GMR really needs to be done on days it's closed to traffic, otherwise you might get drifted by a guy in a BMW. And on days it's closed-- so long as weather is nice-- man are there crowds. That's why the hand-freezing day remains my favorite. I didn't see a soul once I made GRR.

Forest Falls is like that pretty much every day. So what I'm saying is, instead of making the turn toward Angelus Oaks/Onyx, try Forest Falls sometime. From my front door, it's 22 miles with 5,000ft of elevation. There is one spot where you get to go downhill for about a quarter mile. But other than that, it's a constant , gradually-steepening grade for 20 miles. And hey, Damnation Alley! Nothing like being swelteringly hot when the thermometer on the Garmin says 40º.
Old 10-03-18, 02:32 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

i like the forest falls climb. def challenging and a nice change of scenery after the eternity of damnation alley. gotta be super vigilant and ride the brakes quite a bit on the descent through forest falls tho.
Old 10-04-18, 10:24 AM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did the forest falls climb on a training ride years ago with some forum members training for Ride Around the Bear. From Calimesa, Oak Glen, Damnation Alley then Forest Falls. My gearing is a standard 53/39 with a 13/26 cog set. Wowzer! I remember having to stand up on the final stretch where there is/was a small general store (?). That was steep, so steep I had to stand and I rarely stand on climbs.

If I lived in the area I would do it more often but I don't.
Old 10-16-18, 04:26 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
My first GMR ride was with forum member in what was dubbed Clyde / Athena GMR Rookie Ride or some such thing. One of the instigators of the ride was Photo Joe (RIP ) and he arrived before I did and scouted the first bit in his truck. He got to meet up spot and as we all gathered, he joked how he told his daughter cupcake to not do what he was about to do "Meet people he met on the internet". I had only been riding since April of that year (2012) and this was August 2012. It was a really fun day and one I will always remember.

Following that we set up another ride 1 month later and it was HOT and the gate was closed.

Then in October I rode to Village with group for my first of 3 rides to village.

I rode to the Village my 2nd time the day some of Forum members rode to Ski Lifts...I shared a cinnamon roll with @TrojanHorse in the Village. I started earlier than them as I'm slower and they caught me between the shack and the village.

I missed riding up GMR after my motorcycle accident 2 years ago and subsequent hip replacement 1 year ago....so this past spring I did my 3rd ride to village and first time post hip replacement as part of my training for AIDS Lifecycle 2018 with some friends.

Last edited by Beachgrad05; 10-16-18 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-26-18, 03:31 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Perhaps infuenced by proximity, but I'll take the Hwy38/Valley of the Falls climb to Forest Falls over GMR/GRR pretty much any day. Both are crazy steep at the end, but Forest Falls is quiet and shady, there's no one around, and there's a nice General Store. Probably why I've done GMR four times now (I think? Maybe 5?) but I'm past a dozen trips to Forest Falls.

GMR really needs to be done on days it's closed to traffic, otherwise you might get drifted by a guy in a BMW. And on days it's closed-- so long as weather is nice-- man are there crowds. That's why the hand-freezing day remains my favorite. I didn't see a soul once I made GRR.

Forest Falls is like that pretty much every day. So what I'm saying is, instead of making the turn toward Angelus Oaks/Onyx, try Forest Falls sometime. From my front door, it's 22 miles with 5,000ft of elevation. There is one spot where you get to go downhill for about a quarter mile. But other than that, it's a constant , gradually-steepening grade for 20 miles. And hey, Damnation Alley! Nothing like being swelteringly hot when the thermometer on the Garmin says 40º.
Love Forest Falls, I just hate that short part of the road between the Ranger Station and Forest where there is no shoulder.

I've done a few were it was in the 40's in Forest Falls, and 100's in Redlands; definitely a fun ride.
Old 10-29-18, 08:22 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Slogging it up there to see the peleton pass just outside the Village on the AMGEN and then heading up to the lifts at a snails pace and on the big screen see Gesnick and I forget who a Colombian dual mano y mano killing that climb a a ridiculous pace and sprint to the finish line at the lifts and Gesnick win

On our way down we were along side tour riders going back to their bus in the village