Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why carry a multi tool?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Why carry a multi tool?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-19, 05:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by ingo
...Seen lots of other people on group rides who needed one but I'm not in the rescue business.
You may be missing out on one of the best things about the cycling community -- looking out for each other.

I prefer to be as self-sufficient as possible but I rarely pass up an opportunity to assist another cyclist. When I see a cyclist on the side of the road I'll at least slow down and ask if they need help. Some of my real world friendships came about that way.

I never expected any returns of favors. But when I was hit by a car in spring 2018, I was overwhelmed by the response from folks I barely knew, several of whom came to the ER to check on me and see if I needed anything. One of them stayed until late that night to drive me home. Another kept my bike in his garage for months while I was recovering, and even replaced my damaged wheels and handlebar from his own parts bin.

Granted, I was probably programmed that way from childhood and it even influenced my career choices, starting with joining the Navy as a Hospital Corpsman right out of high school. But I wouldn't change a thing. I'm still a hardcore skeptic about most things and even a bit of a cynic about humans collectively. But on a one-to-one basis in real life, we're not too bad. I'd have missed out on getting to know some good folks if I hadn't stopped to lend a hand.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-30-19, 05:10 PM
oldguy47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
life lessons

Originally Posted by epnnf
Seriously. In my experience, 99% of mechanicals are flat tires, the rest are things a multi-tool can't fix- frayed cable, broken saddle bolt. Yes, I carry one; but I've never used it.
it's similar to carrying an umbrella so it won't rain.
Likes For oldguy47:
Old 12-30-19, 06:01 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
That or other tools

I always carry tools that fit everything on a bicycle. Including extra spokes, brake pads, cables.
Old 12-30-19, 11:56 PM
acidlung

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I probably developed the habit of carrying a multi-tool along with two spare tubes because I was cycling long before mobile phones were de rigueur. This practice carried over to today and in that time, I've had to bust out the multi-tool probably three or four times a year. Just three rides ago, the temp was really cold and my temperamental Campy front derailleur wouldn't shift. Quick 3-minute stop to adjust the limiting screw with the multi-tool and I was back on my way without irritating my riding buddies (too much). I've had to repair two broken chains -- one was 20 miles from nowhere in the days before mobile phones. On two occasions, I have broken a spoke and needed to do a dirty "true" so the tire wouldn't rub the frame. On one late night commute, it was raining and I took a spill and bent the arm on my rear sidepull. Luckily I had a tool with me and was able to remove the brake and make it home. But you can't fix everything with a multitool. This year, I've blown out a fork seal and broken a seat.
For multi-tools, I really like the Topeak Mini Pro 20 for my modern bikes. For older bikes, fixies, and anything with bolt-on wheels, my favorite is an old, discontinued multi-tool from the early 90's that integrated a crescent wrench, chain tool, and 15 mm socket (easily substituted with a 14mm) called a Cool Tool.
Likes For acidlung:
Old 12-31-19, 08:39 AM
rose359

Bikes: Triumph

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love to Carry Tools

I carry the biggest multi-tool that Park offers. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. The more weight I carry the more exercise I get.

The bike I rode through the 1990s had a propensity to break seat bolts. After the first, I always carried a spare and the means to drive it. Riding home ten miles standing is a powerful lesson. As often as I have used the tools to repair my own gear, I have used it to help others.
Old 12-31-19, 10:15 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Crashing aside, which might damage something that might possibly be fixable or adjusted with a multi-tool, I think that generally nothing should need to ever be adjusted or fixed during the course of a road ride if your bike has been properly maintained in the first place.
Lots of things shouldn't happen, and yet they do occasionally happen. One doesn't carry tools because one expects problems, one carries them because if and when problems happen, one can fix the problem and go on. The Boy Scouts were on to something with that whole "be prepared" thing.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 12-31-19, 10:33 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Lots of things shouldn't happen, and yet they do occasionally happen. One doesn't carry tools because one expects problems, one carries them because if and when problems happen, one can fix the problem and go on. The Boy Scouts were on to something with that whole "be prepared" thing.
That is true, just stop to think what scenarios are actually likely to happen and what is in reality fixable in the event it does happen. From my experience 95% of failures are related to the tyres, then the chain or stuff breaking, bending or getting banged out of alignment form at crash. This includes the rider ..

Imo, if you are serious about being prepared you should bring a chain connector and a spare derailleur hanger, - besides all the other items.
Old 12-31-19, 12:03 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
and screwdriver for derailleurs,
The funniest thing! I replied to a thread, same topic on another site. I posted about a small tool I got at Sears. Small 1 inch flat folding set of pliers with a screwdriver on each end (1 Phillips/1 flat head).

I was shocked at how many people stated there was no need for a screwdriver on a bicycle, turned into a heated debate. Must be a whole lot of crappy running bikes out there!

Yes, the tool I mentioned, much smaller than a multi tool, and 3 most common Allen wrenches.

I have use the screwdriver to adjust plenty of derailleurs for cyclists I have met on the road, roadside repairs and helping others in need with my screwdrivers.

So I can not figure out why in the world they would say there was no need for a screwdriver on a bike. Wow!
Old 12-31-19, 12:27 PM
Moishe
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 44 Posts
Old 12-31-19, 01:15 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Probably depends on where and how we ride too. My favorite road bike training route for intervals and hill repeats is a loop only a mile and a half from my home. If I stick with that 5 mile loop I'm never more than a couple miles from home. Close enough to walk if I need to, or just call Uber or Lyft. So I carry a minimal kit for flat fixes and the little Hero Kit multi-tool in the Lezyne Road Caddy.

But if I venture out for a 50-100 mile ride that includes a lot of rural highways I'll sometimes strap a folding tire under the saddle, and shove a second tube between the saddle rails -- the rails and Lezyne bag will hold it in place with friction. Not that I've ever needed it, even back in the 1970s-'80s on rides throughout SoCal and Baja, back when the first folding bead tire came out as a spare (I think they recommended against using it as a full time tire back then). But I prefer to be self sufficient, and a 50 mile Uber would be kinda pricey.

On casual group rides when I'm on my hybrid I'll sometimes carry extra tools and a first aid kit. There's often a minor crash in large group rides. I doubt the first aid kit is medically necessary, but as a former Navy Corpsman and emergency responder, and former amateur boxer (and occasional patient when I've crashed or been struck, or got a cut near my eye from an opponent's elbows and forearms in the ring), I realized long ago there's a powerful and reassuring psychological effect to a calm face and voice with a few bandaids and Ace wraps. Or a clotting sponge because some folks get panicky over dripping blood, and a simple clotting sponge can be reassuring. Folks who were borderline shocky and rattled by crashing often feel well enough after a few minutes sitting or lying down to continue riding. On the flip side, it's disheartening to see a bunch of cyclists milling around impatiently or doing nothing after another rider crashes. Sometimes it's worth carrying a few extra ounces of what basically amounts to a placebo, just for the morale boost.
Old 12-31-19, 01:38 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
To fix a snapped chain. To adjust handlebars after a crash/impact. To help other (beginner) riders adjust their saddles before a group ride. To adjust my own saddle height for descents (mountain biking before the days of dropper posts) and to compensate for fatigue/discomfort on a long ride after not riding for a while.
Old 12-31-19, 02:00 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
The funniest thing! I replied to a thread, same topic on another site. I posted about a small tool I got at Sears. Small 1 inch flat folding set of pliers with a screwdriver on each end (1 Phillips/1 flat head).

I was shocked at how many people stated there was no need for a screwdriver on a bicycle, turned into a heated debate. Must be a whole lot of crappy running bikes out there!

Yes, the tool I mentioned, much smaller than a multi tool, and 3 most common Allen wrenches.

I have use the screwdriver to adjust plenty of derailleurs for cyclists I have met on the road, roadside repairs and helping others in need with my screwdrivers.

So I can not figure out why in the world they would say there was no need for a screwdriver on a bike. Wow!
Sounds like you don't need one either -- your only use for one has been to work on other peoples' bikes?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-31-19, 02:25 PM
Moishe
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 44 Posts
Yeah, Dude, Sy is absolutely right. Your problem all along has been that you spent far too much time on other people’s bikes. I mean, yeah, I’ve given the occasional rider my one and only spare tube, but you gotta draw the line somewhere. Otherwise, you’re an enabler.
Old 12-31-19, 02:48 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Moishe
Yeah, Dude, Sy is absolutely right. Your problem all along has been that you spent far too much time on other people’s bikes. I mean, yeah, I’ve given the occasional rider my one and only spare tube, but you gotta draw the line somewhere. Otherwise, you’re an enabler.

Nah! Been riding 23 consecutive years and met tons of people. Helping a few out here and there is no problem. Plus I have adjusted my derailleurs a few times on the road after installing new cables during a break in period.
Old 12-31-19, 08:10 PM
myisland

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I only carry pump and flat repair and rubber gloves but I've never used it. The last time my tube popped so I pushed the bike back. I mostly carry something just in case there's a lady stranded. Guys, you're on your own.
Old 12-31-19, 10:36 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
As a security blanket?
I carry one as a rabbit's foot. I figure if I leave it at home I'll break something that will require a multi-tool to fix.

I also carry a spare gear cable. I haven't had to use it on my bike, but I did salvage someone else's ride when his broke 20 miles away from anywhere and several hills to climb before we got home.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 12-31-19, 11:53 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
A pair of pliers can come in awfully handy at times, especially at holding odd hardware wrenches don't fit.
Old 01-01-20, 07:38 AM
phillman5

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Sometimes making a minor adjustment on yours or your buddy's bike can mean the difference between finishing the ride or calling uber.
From around home I do carry two spare tubes, dry patch kit, and either a pump or two CO2 cartridges and inflator and plastic tire wrenches. I usually ride alone, or with those capable to fix their own bikes. Riding cross country a few more things not found at near by homes, like stuff to change a broken spoke, and that was needed for my brother's bike not mine and a farmer supplied a vice. Over the 40 years or so, I only had to call the wife unit three times, and all were due to weather, not mechanicals.
Old 01-01-20, 01:28 PM
bitpuddle

Bikes: Cinelli Nemo Tig / Battaglin Power Plus / Moots RCS

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Things that have happened on more than one ride:
  • someone crashes and the shifter gets twisted to the side
  • someone’s saddle slips
  • someone breaks a link in their chain
  • someone’s non-drive side crank falls off
All of these are easily fixable with a small multi tool (one with a chain tool). It might not happen to you, but it is good to be prepared. You might be able to help someone else. For this reason, all my saddle bags also have a few tire boots and a valve extender (we regularly come across someone who has a flat and a spare tube with a valve too short for their deep wheels). I also keep a few of those Grease Monkey degreaser wipes in the bag, for when someone has to wrestle a chain back on.
Old 01-01-20, 02:20 PM
bldegle2
Dangerous Old Man

Bikes: 2 custom built full Carbon road bikes, built by Moi...

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I carry a Rock Bros multitool in the little canister. The chain breaker is a must. I snagged my rear derailleur and broke a spoke last summer 16 miles from home. Was able to break the chain and make it a single speed to limp home. As they say, DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT.

Butt saver for sure...
Old 01-01-20, 05:59 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
You may be missing out on one of the best things about the cycling community -- looking out for each other.

This is the primary reason I carry the tools that I do when I ride. Granted, I don't carry everything and the kitchen sink with me, but I have a (low cost non-bike specific) multi-tool, a small cross- and flat-head screwdriver, tire levers, a bead jack, tube scabs, a tire boot, a CO2 inflator and two cartridges, a travel chain tool, and KMC 6.6mm, 7.1mm, and 7.3mm quick links. All of this fits into a very small CVS first aid kit bag ($4 in any CVS store) that I keep in my trunk bag. I ride recreationally and, on occasion, come across someone who may have a problem on the path. I fancy myself a somewhat skilled shadetree cycle mechanic and enjoy helping others if they need it. It's not uncommon to find folks who don't have the appropriate tools to fix whatever may need fixing (such as a flat tire even!).

In a second CVS first aid kit bag, I have actual first aid kit stuff, like travel size bug spray, sunscreen, Neosporin, Benadryl creme, and bandages. I have used this more often than my tools, and consider them more critical to cycling happiness. I've more than once helped either one of my own kids or someone else's kid who took a spill on a bike with these light medical supplies. This was all prompted when my brother took a header when we were all at a bike skills park a few years ago. Fortunately, we had a first aid kit in the vehicle. That was the last time I went anywhere of consequence on my bike without that small kit with me.

It was highly satisfying when my daughter was able to use the first aid stuff on a group ride with a friend and her friend's sibling and mother this past summer. Someone took a spill and needed some clean-up stuff, and my daughter knew that first aid stuff was in my trunk bag and saved the day out on the trail.
Old 01-01-20, 06:12 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
I have one in every one of my seat bags. I rarely use them. I have never regretted having them.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 01-01-20, 06:14 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
Nah! Been riding 23 consecutive years and met tons of people. Helping a few out here and there is no problem. Plus I have adjusted my derailleurs a few times on the road after installing new cables during a break in period.
Only on the internet are people maligned for helping others. Thank you for what you do.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 01-01-20, 09:03 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
I keep 6 to 8 bikes for a daily rotation and usually have a dozen or so outfitted with a seat bag. Most are as skinny as some of you, when my wife is around for a call, which is typical, 3,4,5,6mm hex, patch kit, tire levers, chunk of kevlar for tire blowouts/slices, CO2, and a spare tube in my jersey. I have some bikes heavier equipped for when the better half is not around to call, longer rides, out of cell service rides and I add another tube, chain tool in a bike specific multi tool rather than the 3,4,5,6, and wipes in a foil pack, $, etc.
Old 01-01-20, 09:18 PM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
Seriously. In my experience, 99% of mechanicals are flat tires, the rest are things a multi-tool can't fix- frayed cable, broken saddle bolt. Yes, I carry one; but I've never used it.
I carry because there have been times. 1 in 70 rides where I will need it.

I carry a $10 park multitool, its inexpensive, light, small and has all the right stuff on it.

On gnarlier adventures I have a Topeak tool that has chain breakers and what nots, for times when I am really remote and I need to be more prepared.

- James
www.buckyrides.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.