Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When I go...What then?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When I go...What then?

Old 04-29-19, 11:55 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1
Someone alluded to this situation on another thread.
I have been collecting bicycles, bicycle tools and bicycle stuff for years.
My wife is always saying, “Wear your helmet and ride carefully, I won’t know what to do with all of your bike stuff/junk.”.
She has asked me, “What should I do with all of this?”.
Anyone have an answer when/if asked this question?
My bikes and tools, while important to me, are such a tiny part of my estate that I see no need to specify or be concerned what happens to them.

My wife and I haven't even yet bothered with a will of any sort yet since we couldn't figure who to leave stuff too. (no kids) That has to change soon though, I expect a lot will go to our favorite charity's... and/or any family members/friends who step up to help us through our final years.
Old 04-29-19, 02:57 PM
RB1oldguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gave away a bunch of old Alfa parts on the alfabb forum. I couldn't believe the overwhelming response I got. Everything I put up was taken, even an unknown condition Peugeot MCU.
I offered local meet or will ship if they paid for shipping. Everything ended up being shipped.

So you can sell or give it away on BF. Craigslist also works great for selling or giving away. The secret is to realize your precious stuff is not nearly as precious to other people so price
it low & sell as a lot if needed. Make it low enough or free & it'll be gone.
Old 04-29-19, 04:57 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 125 Posts
eBay. Auction starting at 99cents. We'll soon see if your life has value.
Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 04-29-19, 11:52 PM
Raceline SP

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He who dies with the most bikes wins! Seriously I gave away one of my old bikes to an Irish backpacker at work. As I touched it out all these great memories came out of the bike and up my arm into my head so I guess that’s why we keep this stuff. But so satisfying to hear someone else riding the bike around exploring and making new great memories when he left to go back to Ireland he gave it to a uni student from work. So the legend and stories of my old bike live on. Enjoy giving up some of your stuff but also satisfying to fix up bikes too so keep your tools they’ll keep you from being alone with your thoughts.
Old 04-30-19, 06:52 AM
LDBenjamin

Bikes: Schwinn Madison, Haluzak Horizon, Mongoose Brutus, Roland MTB, Sinclair A-Bike

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Someone alluded to this situation on another thread.
I have been collecting bicycles, bicycle tools and bicycle stuff for years.
My wife is always saying, “Wear your helmet and ride carefully, I won’t know what to do with all of your bike stuff/junk.”.
She has asked me, “What should I do with all of this?”.
Anyone have an answer when/if asked this question?
Reminds me of a guy who worked for my father, who for some reason collected Avon items. These consisted of things like soap in the shape of a football helmet, bottles of aftershave with the Pontiac hood ornament as the cap - the kind of stuff you buy for someone when you don't know what to get them. He bought an example of every darn thing Avon produced, and kept them new in the box, on the belief that they were all "limited editions" and "they got only one way to go, and that's up!" My father would needle him by saying that after he passed, his wife would call the junkman and ask how much it would cost to haul all that stuff away.

Realistically, everyone who wants a bottle of cheap perfume with a plastic jewel on top already has one, so even if they "break the mold" after producing a finite number of copies, you're not going to be able to sell it at a profit.
Old 04-30-19, 08:03 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
In direct response to the OP's question "When I go...What then?"

First of all, speak to the people who are close to you about your wishes. Speak to your aging or sick relatives about their wishes. Afterward, you may find your relationship with that person even closer than before. It may seem like a difficult subject to breach but you'll both probably end up feeling very good that you did.

Second, put your affairs in order. For some that might mean a simple Will. To others it may be a Living Trust. Regardless, get it done! The first and most important part in taking care of you or a relatives Estate will be that the proper documentation is in order. You can always go back and make changes to these documents whenever you find it necessary. But, without them you are at the mercy of the courts. If you have certain sentimental items you want directed to certain people, put it in writing.

Third, make sure all the T's are crossed and the I's are dotted. This means making sure the small things like savings account, CD's or a life insurance policy all indicate who the beneficiary should be. As an example, you or your parent may have indicated a beneficiary as a deceased sibling or relative and that account was never updated.

Having your affairs in order is not hard and can be a great feeling of relief and accomplishment for everyone involved.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 04-30-19, 04:33 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Timely subject as I have been thinking about the herd in the basement and in my office. Two days ago my wife's aunt called me and asked if I would come get her bike and find someone that can use it. She had her last ride this past fall and did not feel safe and feared falling. When it is time one just knows it.

On an aside, the bike is a 93 Giant Rincon and looks like it is brand new. Amazingly good condition.
Old 06-09-19, 02:53 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Purging has started!
No love for the road bikes!
MTBs are gone!
I am making room to work on my projects that I’ve been Jonesing to get started, finished!
Can’t believe how room you can free up when the MTBs go!
Those flat bars take up a lot of real estate!
Always getting a bar in the head, chest or belly depending where they are stored!
Old 06-10-19, 01:24 AM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
My biggest fear is that the wife sells my bikes and guns for what I told her I paid for them
Likes For Dr.Lou:
Old 01-31-20, 09:36 AM
billnuke1 

Most of my boxes, traveling, camping, and the outside benches have these...the work stands all have magnetic strips, so by adding thin sheets of metal, the holders are right at the stands! I’m getting too old to keep getting up and down...
Adding to my wife’s yard sale when I’m gone...
Old 01-31-20, 09:42 AM
ups

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Write your will. It's the smart way to be sure your wishes will be honored. Bikes to friends, crappy bikes to enemies, tools and parts to a co-op. Whatever you want to happen to the stuff, there are ways to make it happen.

Seriously, if you have assets and you don't have a will you're leaving your survivor(s) a mess to deal with. Do them a favor.
affirmative.
Old 01-31-20, 11:14 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I may have read this here...”I hope my wife doesn’t sell my bikes, etc. for what I told her I paid for them!”.
One of the oldest jokes in the xxx insert your collection here xxx collecting hobby.
Old 01-31-20, 11:35 AM
Moishe
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 44 Posts
Don’t worry about it. One of the great benefits of being dead is that you don’t have to worry about anything. It’s something we should all look forward to.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/fd19031...f-175276416fc1

Last edited by Moishe; 01-31-20 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-03-20, 08:11 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I've been a terrible packrat. It was mitigated while I was on Active Duty, the Navy moved me every few years. But I retired 19 years ago, and I've been in this house for over 13 years now. TIME TO DECLUTTER. In reality, I may need to downsize in a year or two, wife's health issues may push us into apartment living, or retirement/assisted living situations. The multi-level house is just not going to work. And I'm already worried about concerned about storage and garage spaces. At 57, I'm not so much worried about what I leave behind, but how to live with what I have.
Likes For zjrog:
Old 02-04-20, 07:20 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Moishe
Don’t worry about it. One of the great benefits of being dead is that you don’t have to worry about anything. It’s something we should all look forward to.
Don't be too sure. Mankind has speculated about the hereafter for ages. What if it consists of having to gaze forever upon the mess you left behind?

Just in case, make your will and keep the paperwork current. We're redoing our stuff and getting new info to the executor and I came across my bequest list, mostly bikes and related stuff, a list made out in 1999. There are bikes listed on there that I no longer have, bikes I have now that are not on that list, and designated recipients no longer living. Half the total list would be useless to an executor.

I know it's just one more damn thing to have to do, but it's part of the task to keep up with such things so keep that in mind.
Old 02-04-20, 09:58 AM
billnuke1 

Originally Posted by thumpism
Don't be too sure. Mankind has speculated about the hereafter for ages. What if it consists of having to gaze forever upon the mess you left behind?
That would be heaven...One man’s mess and all...I am very happy with what Ihave wrought...