Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-20, 06:43 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I saw that this weekend. Thought about it. Frame is too small for me, but the components would work on another frame. But, nah, I'll leave it for someone who can ride it as-is.

I heard a rumor from a local bike flipper that there's a bunch of factory original Centurion Ironman bikes stashed in the Fort Worth/Dallas area, presumably from a distributor that long ago went bankrupt. So nearly-new looking Ironmen occasionally show up on craigslist for around $200 or less. That's how I got mine in 2017, which had fairly little ride wear but some scuffs from indifferent storage and handling.
If I was riding the HNH 100 this year, I would get this one, have one of you locals pick it up, my brother get it from you, then ride it at HNH. Not gonna be able to make it, though.
Old 02-10-20, 06:46 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
I saw that this weekend. Thought about it. Frame is too small for me, but the components would work on another frame. But, nah, I'll leave it for someone who can ride it as-is.

I heard a rumor from a local bike flipper that there's a bunch of factory original Centurion Ironman bikes stashed in the Fort Worth/Dallas area, presumably from a distributor that long ago went bankrupt. So nearly-new looking Ironmen occasionally show up on craigslist for around $200 or less. That's how I got mine in 2017, which had fairly little ride wear but some scuffs from indifferent storage and handling.
Reminds me of that posting about the eBay listing back east, MA or CT, not far from TriBiker19 , a whole shelf of still-boxed Centurions, IMs, Lemanses, etc. And on the edge of one of the pics, you could see a row of still-boxed old mid-'80s Treks. Listing ended VERY fast. There's chatter about it a few pages up in this thread, or maybe over in the eBay/CL thread.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 02-10-20, 07:02 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
If I was riding the HNH 100 this year, I would get this one, have one of you locals pick it up, my brother get it from you, then ride it at HNH. Not gonna be able to make it, though.
I don't have a car, so I walk, ride or take public transportation or Uber/Lyft. That usually limits my bike shopping to Fort Worth where I live.

A couple of times when I was interested in an out of town bike or bit of gear I'd mention to the seller that I'd be arriving by public transportation or Uber/Lyft. Several friends do long distance group rides that often include taking the train for part of the ride, so it's no big deal. But this seemed to scare off sellers and they either stopped communicating or the item suddenly wasn't available. So I either don't mention it now, or just don't bother with sales outside Fort Worth.

I bought my Ironman and Univega from the same local bike flipper and I took a bus to his place, checked out the bikes to be sure they were ready to ride, and just rode them home -- although the second time he gave me a ride home since we'd already done business before and were acquainted, with some cycling friends in common.
Old 02-10-20, 07:34 PM
seypat

I don't have a car, so I walk, ride or take public transportation or Uber/Lyft. That usually limits my bike shopping to Fort Worth where I live.

A couple of times when I was interested in an out of town bike or bit of gear I'd mention to the seller that I'd be arriving by public transportation or Uber/Lyft. Several friends do long distance group rides that often include taking the train for part of the ride, so it's no big deal. But this seemed to scare off sellers and they either stopped communicating or the item suddenly wasn't available. So I either don't mention it now, or just don't bother with sales outside Fort Worth.

I bought my Ironman and Univega from the same local bike flipper and I took a bus to his place, checked out the bikes to be sure they were ready to ride, and just rode them home -- although the second time he gave me a ride home since we'd already done business before and were acquainted, with some cycling friends in common.
I have a cousin that lives in Carrollton. He could have done it if need be.
Old 02-11-20, 09:46 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
I have a cousin that lives in Carrollton. He could have done it if need be.
My sister lives in Rowlette which is real close.
Old 02-15-20, 09:15 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Hey peeps, just figured I'd update you all on an '86 Ironman project I took on a few weeks ago.
Before:
Centurion Ironman by Eat More Plants1, on Flickr

During:
Centurion Ironman project by Eat More Plants1, on Flickr
It doesn't show in the final "after" picture, but the paint is in rough shape. No dents at all, and it's straight as an arrow, but if this was a grail bike or something I would be stripping and repainting. I opted to go the "beausage" route. But I did wet sand and polish, and I treated the interior of the tubes to some "Fluid Film" frame saver-like sticky oil (it's lanolin-based, so it smells like a barn lol!).

A little aluminum polish goes a long way.

I had never come across these levers before. They have an integrated piece of housing, presumably so you can change cables and wires without removing all the bar tape. Cool!

After:

I have reached the stage where I have been able to ride many different bikes, from old to new, low-end to high-end, but I was really blown away when I took it out on a shakedown ride the other day. It's one of the nicest riding bikes I've been able to throw a leg over. So smooth and together-feeling. A very comfortable bike to ride fast. The gearing is bonkers for me--52/42 in the front, with a 24t low gear in the back. I swapped out the freewheel for one with a 28t low gear, and other than consumables, that's actually the only real change I made for now. Oh, and sadly the original 600 pedals just weren't complete enough to get going again in a cost-effective way, at least at this point. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of clips anyways--I either have clipless SPDs or flat pedals on all my bikes. I had to swap out a few rusty spoke nipples, but the super-awesome Araya copper rims straightened out pretty good. I found some 25c Continental Ultra Sport II's on sale at REI for like 10 bucks each, and I like them on a few of my other bikes. I really look forward to more time with this one in the spring.

Last edited by PugRider; 02-15-20 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Added tidbit about pedals
Likes For PugRider:
Old 02-15-20, 01:06 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Originally Posted by Ottomotion
Thanks for the tip! ...and the price is right!

The left hood is super gummy so Im not sure it can even be saved. We shall see....
I puff some baby powder on sticky hoods. With each application, it seems to last longer. Beautiful IM.
Old 02-15-20, 02:04 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Originally Posted by PugRider
Hey peeps, just figured I'd update you all on an '86 Ironman project I took on a few weeks ago.
Before:

During:
It doesn't show in the final "after" picture, but the paint is in rough shape. No dents at all, and it's straight as an arrow, but if this was a grail bike or something I would be stripping and repainting. I opted to go the "beausage" route. But I did wet sand and polish, and I treated the interior of the tubes to some "Fluid Film" frame saver-like sticky oil (it's lanolin-based, so it smells like a barn lol!).

I had never come across these levers before. They have an integrated piece of housing, presumably so you can change cables and wires without removing all the bar tape. Cool!

After:

I have reached the stage where I have been able to ride many different bikes, from old to new, low-end to high-end, but I was really blown away when I took it out on a shakedown ride the other day. It's one of the nicest riding bikes I've been able to throw a leg over. So smooth and together-feeling. A very comfortable bike to ride fast. The gearing is bonkers for me--52/42 in the front, with a 24t low gear in the back. I swapped out the freewheel for one with a 28t low gear, and other than consumables, that's actually the only real change I made for now. Oh, and sadly the original 600 pedals just weren't complete enough to get going again in a cost-effective way, at least at this point. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of clips anyways--I either have clipless SPDs or flat pedals on all my bikes. I had to swap out a few rusty spoke nipples, but the super-awesome Araya copper rims straightened out pretty good. I found some 25c Continental Ultra Sport II's on sale at REI for like 10 bucks each, and I like them on a few of my other bikes. I really look forward to more time with this one in the spring.
I see you have the original Vetta saddle. I am told these came with a white cover. If I could find one in about any condition I think I could coax my wife to make a pattern from it and make us some covers. Your bike came out great!
Old 02-15-20, 02:12 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Before:

During:

After:

Completely Awesome. Congrats.
Old 02-15-20, 02:16 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor
I see you have the original Vetta saddle. I am told these came with a white cover. If I could find one in about any condition I think I could coax my wife to make a pattern from it and make us some covers. Your bike came out great!
The '86 he has is pre Master/Expert and came with a Black selle Italia Turbo saddle.
The '87 Expert you have came with the brown suede vetta saddle and white vinyl cover.

Last edited by texaspandj; 02-16-20 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-15-20, 02:21 PM
TXsailor

RJ the bike guy stuck seat post removal tools.

Don't use long bolts!
RJ the bike guy made a video about using a impact to remove a stuck seat post. I had one to try it on so I made the socket. The socket I used for the 27.0 post was a 27 mm from Harbor Freight. Its tough to drill. It has a step inside so I had to taper the post a little at the top. A 28 mm socket might work better. The impact wrench is pretty powerful and it took quite a bit of hammering on it before it turned.

The only bolts I had handy were too long and when it spun it got me a little. After it started spinning it was going in and not out I put my 15" adjustable wrench under the socket and pulled up while my wife ran the impact. It slowly started out. The wrench kept vibrating so it was bigger so I tightened it up. Then it wedged on the flutes and turned with the post. It was pretty wedged on there so I just used it to finish getting the post out. After I got it out I had to beat the wrench off with my air hammer.

I am tickled to get it out without having to cut it like I did the last one.

Always grease your post!
Likes For TXsailor:
Old 02-15-20, 03:32 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts

After:

Beautiful bike. And that's a lovely rich color in the bar tape.
Old 02-15-20, 07:32 PM
seypat

Before:

During:

After:

Very nice! The brown/brown combo works very well with that paint scheme.
Old 02-15-20, 07:39 PM
seypat

RJ the bike guy stuck seat post removal tools.

Don't use long bolts!
RJ the bike guy made a video about using a impact to remove a stuck seat post. I had one to try it on so I made the socket. The socket I used for the 27.0 post was a 27 mm from Harbor Freight. Its tough to drill. It has a step inside so I had to taper the post a little at the top. A 28 mm socket might work better. The impact wrench is pretty powerful and it took quite a bit of hammering on it before it turned.

The only bolts I had handy were too long and when it spun it got me a little. After it started spinning it was going in and not out I put my 15" adjustable wrench under the socket and pulled up while my wife ran the impact. It slowly started out. The wrench kept vibrating so it was bigger so I tightened it up. Then it wedged on the flutes and turned with the post. It was pretty wedged on there so I just used it to finish getting the post out. After I got it out I had to beat the wrench off with my air hammer.

I am tickled to get it out without having to cut it like I did the last one.

Always grease your post!
Great job! How large is the hollow part of the seatpost? Now I'm thinking a hammer drill and the right size Easy Out might work. If the hammer drill has a slow setting it might work.
Old 02-15-20, 08:05 PM
TXsailor

Great job! How large is the hollow part of the seatpost? Now I'm thinking a hammer drill and the right size Easy Out might work. If the hammer drill has a slow setting it might work.
The hole looks like it has a steady taper all the way through it. It measures .450 - .475 where I cut it off. Its not round because I cut it with a hacksaw and didn't get it real straight. If you wanted to use a Easy out I guess you could ream it to half inch and have a straighter spot for it to dig into. With it like it is your Easy out would taper the opposite way the post does and I don't think it would get much of a bite. One of those tapered bits might work even better! I don't think this one was as stuck as the one I cut out. It wasn't near as corroded anyway. The impact wrench I used was a Ingersoll Rand 1/2" drive. It will twist a lug bold off pretty easily. It shook a bar plug and some of the bottle cage screws out while I was hammering on the post with it. (The cage bolts might have been loose before hand I don't know)
Old 02-16-20, 02:24 PM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Thanks everyone, it was just the winter project fix I needed. The handlebar tape, by the way, is “coffee” colored, from that bargain basement “Kingou” brand on Amazon. I had good luck on their perforated faux-leather wrap on my single speed, and this was definitely a budget build.

Originally Posted by jim dandy
PugRider ...
Excellent Work!
Congrats on bringing another Steely back on the street.
JD
Very nice! The brown/brown combo works very well with that paint scheme.
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Completely Awesome. Congrats.
Old 02-17-20, 02:05 AM
TXsailor

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-2x-VITT...MAAOSwhZ1d~2Q7

How would these look on my Miami Vice?
Likes For TXsailor:
Old 02-17-20, 11:13 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
They would look great but are prone to flatting in my experience. Rode them for severa years.
Newer Vittoria Graphenes have the same look but are much more flat resistant. Also prefer the new two stage rubber compounds.
Old 02-18-20, 02:33 AM
TXsailor

Originally Posted by jim dandy
Try these instead ... look better, last longer ... !
JD

I usually run Continental tires and have used Gatorskins GP4000 GP5000 all with good success. The Miami Vice will be a little different in that I probably won't ride it that much and was wanting it to stand out when I did. That's why the yellow sidewalls caught my eye. I normally don't like colored sidewalls but thought they might be ok on a bike that is already sort of outlandish. I was riding my Purple Haze Ironman last summer on a ride and my Sister in Law was on a Miami Vice. No one seemed to notice my bike but quite a few commented on hers. Of course it might have been that she has b (o) (o ) b s and I'm just a chubby old geezer.
Old 02-18-20, 03:49 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-2x-VITT...MAAOSwhZ1d~2Q7

How would these look on my Miami Vice?
Nice. I have Continental Grand Prix Classic skinwalls on my Ironman at the moment. They're 700x25 only, reddish-brown true skinwalls (translucent against the light). Reasonably priced at around $30 each, and occasionally the price drops to $25 on Amazon. The ride quality, durability and overall feel are very comparable to the inexpensive Conti Ultra Sport II, which is my usual everyday and trainer tire. Not racing tires, but not fragile either.

The main difference I notice between the Conti Grand Prix Classic and Ultra Sport II? The GP Classics have a bit of old school tread, while the US2 are slicks. The GP Classics have just a bit of road noise where the US2 whisper. And the tread can kick up pebbles so there's an occasional ricochet along the ride. But that's true with any patterned tread. It's kinda superfluous on the GP Classics -- the US2 are just as grippy on wet pavement. But it's all about the classic look, so it's okay with me.

Although I need to fix a slight bulge that's just barely rubbing the bottom of the rear brake bridge. Seems to vary according to the rim and tube. No problems with the original Araya CTL-370 rims, or Bontrager Race Lite Aero. It might be a thick patch on the tube causing the tire to bulge very slightly. I'll check later this week.

Last edited by canklecat; 02-18-20 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-18-20, 04:17 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Calling on the cult...Join us?

Looks like Hotter'n'Hell is a go. I have registered and have a room and a bike in the works, inspired by TXSailor's 'Haze.

Red wrap will suffice. Black housing, but red RD housing.

Innicycle headset/steerer.
Now THAT's a unicrown.... (UniCROWN, Pat ...don't get excited...)
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 02-18-20, 04:38 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

1988 Cult Ironman:

Sent to me by conspirators. I'm obligated to build it suitable for the elderly (me).

54cm Expert frame from BF hooligans.
Kestrel EMS fork, redeaux with Velocals.
Innicycle headset/steerer from BF via Amazon
Ritchey WCS 70mm stem, CL.
Toseek 42 cm coronabars from Maoland.
6700 FD, RD, STIs from BF.
6700 stoppers I had. Bag I had.
Specialized post from an old Tarmac.
Prologo saddle from the dock of the 'Bay.
Pair of coronacages from Maontrepreneurs.
FSA SLK from the auction site.
FSA Mega-Exo BB from "who names this s---?"
11-24 DA cogs from When I Was Young.
Zipp 404R/303F from Performance long ago.
Tufo Hi-Composite Carbon 25s (tubular) eBay.
Beauteous polished pedals from madpogue .
Chain will be DA 7801 with Connex link.
Wrap will be Bontrager red.

Finishing up will send it soaring over 18 lbs, but well under 19. Just in case you were curious.

I may try for a sub-5 (total) HNH. Need to push close to 200w for the duration. Not quite me. Not yet.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 02-18-20 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-18-20, 08:14 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Looks like Hotter'n'Hell is a go. I have registered and have a room and a bike in the works, inspired by TXSailor's 'Haze.

Red wrap will suffice. Black housing, but red RD housing.

Innicycle headset/steerer.
Now THAT's a unicrown.... (UniCROWN, Pat ...don't get excited...)
That's a great looking bike, Robbie! This one, Pugrider's and all the rest show how versatile the paint jobs are. Look at the first one posted on the opening page. If you have a vision you can make them pop. Outstanding.
Old 02-18-20, 09:45 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Thanks.

Pug's is bad-ass all the way. If the Spartans had bikes...his.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 02-18-20, 10:49 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
What's a eunuch clown? Oh, never mind.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.