Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Front basket or rear baskets

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-15, 09:02 PM
Stiffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Bike Forums,

I've recently started bike commuting to work and I've noticed that wearing a backpack makes my back sweat really bad. I want to use a basket to keep my backpack in so I don't sweat so much while I ride. Which is better and why, a front handlebar basket or a rear basket on the side, like a pannier?

A few things to consider:
  • I want to use front and rear blinking lights so cars can see me
  • I don't want my backpack to block my lights
  • I want to keep cost at a minimum, rear baskets would require a rack where the front basket does not
  • I'm worried that having a backpack on a rear side basket would make the bike feel weird and unbalanced, causing me to lose balance easily
I'm currently looking at these baskets
Wald 582 Rear Basket
Wald 3133 Front Basket

What would you guys recommend?
Old 08-18-15, 09:06 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I don't like to slow down my steering by adding extra mass to the front wheel. Rear baskets please. I usually use a single rear pannier on my rear rack. Unless you're carrying bowling balls or barbells, the weight difference side to side won't affect you much.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 08-18-15 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-18-15, 09:37 PM
roashru

Bikes: sport touring with small front back baskets. 17 mph

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the good use of front basket, handlebar bags, or fork panniers is weight distribution. if you dont weigh a lot loading the rear of the bicycle is not an issue. if so you could always get a stronger rear wheel.
Old 08-18-15, 09:51 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stiffy
Hello Bike Forums,

I've recently started bike commuting to work and I've noticed that wearing a backpack makes my back sweat really bad. I want to use a basket to keep my backpack in so I don't sweat so much while I ride. Which is better and why, a front handlebar basket or a rear basket on the side, like a pannier?

A few things to consider:
  • I want to use front and rear blinking lights so cars can see me
  • I don't want my backpack to block my lights
  • I want to keep cost at a minimum, rear baskets would require a rack where the front basket does not
  • I'm worried that having a backpack on a rear side basket would make the bike feel weird and unbalanced, causing me to lose balance easily
I'm currently looking at these baskets
Wald 582 Rear Basket
Wald 3133 Front Basket

What would you guys recommend?
Rear light can be put on the back of a rear mounted basket.

Depending on how much you are carrying and how light your bike is, the weight of a backpack on one side or the other hasn't bothered me and probably won't bother you, certainly doesn't make me lose balance.

But, when I use a top of rear rack mounted basket and fill it with groceries, that actually does throw off the balance.

Another option, though not cheap, is a seatpost mounted carrier, like the Tout Terrain Sherpa

Old 08-18-15, 11:21 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'm partial to Wald 582 baskets on the back, but I also have a bike with a front porteur rack. What works best handling wise depends on the bike, what works best convenience wise depends on you.
Old 08-18-15, 11:57 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Retrofits are hard to say. A porter rack with headlight mounted below the rack is awesome, if the bike was designed for it by having low trail fork geometry. Handlebar mounted lights generally don't work. You can carry very heavy and bulky loads with excellent control. Without low trail forks, the steering tends to flop side to side aggressively. It is nice keeping an eye on your load and it is a handy place to use on the go. Front baskets can be used at moderate speeds with unsecured contents.

Rear racks affect the handling less with standard forks, but heavy loads are like the tail wagging the dog. Tail lights can clip to the rack or basket. You have to secure things better, and accessing the bag usually means stopping. A rear basket with unsecured load is not good at any speed.

It seems like most people are happy as pigs in slop without ever thinking of such things. Others have to expiriment to find an acceptable compromise. Find used stuff until you figure it out.
Old 08-19-15, 05:56 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
How much stuff do you have to carry? What make/model or style of bike do you have?

I have a removable frame mounted front rack with a wood wine crate on it that works really well. Personally I prefer frame mounted to fork/handlebar mounted but that's personal preference. My bike at our place in Europe has a front handlebar basket like you referenced above and it works well and I use it every day.

I have panniers from both Clarijs and Basil and small and huge from both. Happy with all of them but agree that unbalanced weight isn't a great deal. A pound or two diff isn't a problem though. I use to have a crate bolted to the rear rack that worked great because I could drop my backpack in it easily. When I become less lazy I'll put it back on as I miss it.

Our front lights are all mounted on the left fork which is below any rack/basket, provides good forward light, and perhaps most importantly lights up reflective sidewalls for better visibility. Rear lights are mounted on the rear fender.
Old 08-19-15, 06:11 AM
Stiffy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. My bag weighs around 5-10 pounds. I won't be needing to stop and get anything out of my bag while I'm commuting. I'm typically riding at 10mph on my commute so I'm not going that fast. Nashbar Flat Bar Road Bike This is the bike I'm using to commute with.
Old 08-19-15, 10:24 AM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
For a light load like that, a rear basket (like the Wald 582) attached to the side of a rear rack will have the least adverse affect on the handling of your bike. But, you'll need to get a rear rack as well. When you attach the basket to the rack, ensure that it's far enough back that you won't strike your heel on it when you pedal.

I like front baskets, but you would definitely notice that much weight being carried up high on the handlebars.

I tried a Wald 3133 QR for a while, but it made the front end flop around.

I've also used a Wald 137 attached to a mini front rack (Nitto M12) and that was much more secure, with less front end flop. But that combo is more expensive than a cheapo rear rack plus Wald 582.
Old 08-19-15, 10:30 AM
tjkoko

Bikes: Rockhopper, Azor Oma cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is my go-to basket from Nantucket Bike Basket Company. It has hooks for attaching to the handlebars on my dutch Azor Oma. And it works absolutely great for going grocery shopping, the functional handle and all! And Nantucket BBC is an American company and so what more could you ask for.

Last edited by tjkoko; 08-19-15 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-19-15, 10:36 AM
Ray Lovinggood

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Fuji ACR 2.0, Roubaix & a Peugeot of mid 1980's vintage, orig 12 vitesse, now a single speed. Converted to fixie/single speed before I got it.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, when I started bike commuting, it didn't take long before I had a rack on the back of the bike. The rack is just an item I wouldn't want to be without for the commuter/grocery-getter Sport Utility Bike.

For the commute, I hang a set of panniers on the rack. They tote my office clothes, lunch, and snacks (fruit.)

For groceries, I remove the panniers and hang baskets by "Basil" on the rack. They have folding handles so I can carry them into the grocery store. The model is "Cardiff."
I haven't checked the "Wald" baskets, but "Basil" has a large number of baskets to choose from.

Oh, and for lights: The rear blinky attaches to the rear of the rack and is not blocked by the panniers nor baskets.

Ray
Old 08-19-15, 10:40 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
My commuter bag ends up around 5-10 lbs and I carry it up front on bikes not specifically made to carry loads on the front. Main commuter has a VO Constructeur front rack and the bag straps to the handlebars. On the other end of my bike/bus/bike commute, the lockup bike has a Wald 1392 front basket.

The weight doesn't really affect steering much in motion, but does make the front end a bit floppy when I'm not on the bike. If I was carrying more, I'd do a rear rack and panniers, but for what I need and actually carry on a daily basis, the front rack and basket works fine. And the Wald front basket is cheaper and lighter than a basket/rack combo out back...
Old 08-19-15, 10:41 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Stiffy
Thanks for all the replies. My bag weighs around 5-10 pounds. I won't be needing to stop and get anything out of my bag while I'm commuting. I'm typically riding at 10mph on my commute so I'm not going that fast. Nashbar Flat Bar Road Bike This is the bike I'm using to commute with.
What are you currently wearing on your commute? I used to ride in cotton t-shirts and a back pack and my back would be drenched. Now I wear moisture wicking shirts or jerseys and it has been greatly reduced.
Old 08-19-15, 11:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Porteur bikes were made to carry a pretty heavy load of bundled newspapers in major French Cities to supply sales agents in street kiosks
they had a front rack to do that..

Wald big Newsboy baskets are a US Staple for carrying lots of stuff, mounted on your Schwinn cruiser, for example...

https://www.waldsports.com/index.cfm/...livery-basket/

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-19-15 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-19-15, 11:22 AM
Matt144

Bikes: All-City Space Horse

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear basket. I just added a rear basket, so I can take off my front basket. Steering with a front basket is not a big deal, unless you've got a ton of weight in it, but my issues came from when I was off the bike. The weight up front will cause your wheel and handlebars to flop around when your trying to stand your bike up, walk it from the seat, or do anything without having your hands on the handlebars. Not a big issue, but annoying. It's also harder to lock up your bike, when there are other bikes on a rack. Also, depending on your bike (typically drop-bars) loading the front basket can interfere with shifting and braking. I just affixed a mesh basket to my rear rack, and find it much easier to deal with. I can also carry much more.
Old 08-19-15, 12:18 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Old 08-19-15, 12:24 PM
tjkoko

Bikes: Rockhopper, Azor Oma cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
++++++++++++++++++1111111111^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Clean. It's a clean machine.Very clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---Penny Lane

Last edited by tjkoko; 08-19-15 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-19-15, 04:55 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I've always commuted with a backpack on a rack. (except on my road bike, when I wear it) Here's the system I devised. I loop two bungee cords around the top of the seat post and through the seat frame rails. I then anchor them at the rear of the rack. I leave this in place all the time. I simply "spread 'em" and slide the backpack in, Usually upright, but sometimes on its back or side. The bungees hold the bag against the rack and the seat post. Never lost a bag in 23 years. THe bag I bought last fall is a little bigger and a little taller than past back packs, so I was a little concerned, but luckily it has grommets on either side where I attatched D-Clips. WIth a little practice they now clip and unclip in a second and the bag is even more secure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
afterfocus_1438396465050.jpg (83.3 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20150306_074702_928.jpg (101.4 KB, 180 views)
Old 08-19-15, 05:34 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
A couple things that I've experienced with front baskets: First, it's hard to mount them on some bikes without interfering with the brake and gear cabling, especially if you have straight bars. Second, a basket needs at least three attachment points. The Wald baskets do this with stays that go down to the front axle. The baskets that attach only to the handlebars probably won't be satisfactory for heavy loads. My spouse used one with her work bag, including notebook computer, and it bounced around until it eventually fell apart.

Today, she and I both have Wald 585 baskets attached to the drive side of a conventional rear rack, using hose clamps. Mine has held up for 15+ years. If you don't like it open all the time, I suppose the folding basket would work just as well. On my winter bike, the same kind of basket is on top of the rack, to keep it up further from the muck. But having a basket on just one side doesn't seem to affect balance, even when I've got it loaded with groceries.
Old 08-19-15, 07:58 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
https://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2012...-fair.html?m=1

Get a milk crate and strap it to a rack. If you are already willing to go ugly with a basket, you might as well go all the way and not spend very much.

Last edited by alan s; 08-19-15 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-09-15, 03:15 AM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
runabout bike by Berang Berang, on Flickr

I had one of Wald's larger baskets on my bikes for several years. Greatly prefer it to a rear rack or basket. Unless you're carrying something heavy it does not effect steering at all, although as others have said it will cause the handlebars to flop around when you're not holding them.

Two big advantages to the front basket are:
1: you don't have to lift your leg over whatever you're carrying when getting on/off the bike.
2: whatever you are carrying is always in sight. Nothing falls off or shifts over unexpectedly making the bike awkward to handle.
Old 09-09-15, 10:34 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
One of the disadvantages of using a road frame for commuting is no eyelets for a rack, but I do love my Curtlo.

Good thing I'm happy using a backpack...
Old 09-09-15, 02:41 PM
FedericoMena

Bikes: Viruela, Piccola

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you get a rear rack, your bike will become a lot more useful. (Actually, any sort of basket/rack will make it a lot more useful).

FWIW here's how I attach my backpack to a rear rack - https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...rear-rack.html

Alan s is right about strapping a milk crate to a rack. You too can have a piece of Amsterdam cycle chic!