Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

A motorist regrets blocking the bike lane

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-18, 02:39 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.92dc31d43047
Old 08-04-18, 02:48 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
If the story didn't leave enough of an impression on you to elicit a comment, it's probably not worth my time.
Old 08-04-18, 02:53 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Car drivers are quick to realize that it is not a good idea to sit in a traffic lane and obstruct traffic, especially on a 2 lane 2 way road.

Yet, they are quick to think.. well, the bike lane is out of traffic, and it is just a bike lane.

It is probably fine if there aren't any bikes anywhere to be seen. But, as the article mentions, as the numbers of cyclists and cars increases, then it becomes a major issue. Forcing cyclists into potentially dangerous situations, just for a person's convenience.

If necessary, text the kid and have him wait at the curb. Pick up and go.
Old 08-04-18, 06:45 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I don’t cycle in a proper city often enough to have a perspective, but my understanding is that before bike lanes, delivery vans, police, pickups and drop offs happened in the car lanes. So even where car lanes were removed, the auto traffic actually moves about the same. It seems like the need for a marginal area has never really been met. The question I have, should this marginal area be called a “bike lane”.
Old 08-04-18, 07:05 PM
CliffordK

Perhaps part of the answer is to have more commercial parking and loading zones.

Of course, car drivers hate to have perfectly good parking spots left vacant, but especially in areas with frequent deliveries, or dropping off and picking up kids, they should have an area where vehicles can stop without really parking long-term.
Old 08-04-18, 07:38 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
She obviously doesn't think blocking a bike lane for a few minutes creates danger. She also blames "how the city works" rather than herself for breaking the law. She's no better than other morons who block the bike lane with their car.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 08-04-18, 08:03 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
My favorite was a charity bike ride staged at a local junior college one weekend. The organizers "helpfully" place signs directing drivers where to park, but these signs completely blocked the bike lanes on both sides of the street, forcing riders into the traffic lane on a 55 mph road.
Old 08-04-18, 08:46 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Just another self centered motorist. No big deal to block the bike lane. Cyclist are the ones who should "stop while oncoming cars have a left-turn signal" giving away the cyclist right of way to her self centered driving. Cyclist cause more danger rolling a stop sign than motorist and must be stopped.

The B needs to get a grip on who is causing the danger.
Old 08-04-18, 10:39 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Car drivers are quick to realize that it is not a good idea to sit in a traffic lane and obstruct traffic, especially on a 2 lane 2 way road.

Yet, they are quick to think.. well, the bike lane is out of traffic, and it is just a bike lane.

It is probably fine if there aren't any bikes anywhere to be seen. But, as the article mentions, as the numbers of cyclists and cars increases, then it becomes a major issue. Forcing cyclists into potentially dangerous situations, just for a person's convenience.

If necessary, text the kid and have him wait at the curb. Pick up and go.
Cyclist are second class citizen no matter who it comes from. As you say few folks would block the flow of traffic but won't give a second though to blocking the bike lane. Few pedestrians would step brazenly into the flow of traffic, but will walk without hesitation into the bike lane even after they notice you approaching. I get this all the time.
Old 08-04-18, 10:44 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Few pedestrians would step brazenly into the flow of traffic, but will walk without hesitation into the bike lane even after they notice you approaching. I get this all the time.
Of course, the opposite is also true...

I believe that cyclists are much less likely to follow crosswalk laws, stopping for pedestrians.

Of course, there is a difference between a bicycle passing through a crosswalk at 10 MPH and a car shooting through it at 50 MPH.
Old 08-04-18, 10:56 PM
KraneXL

Of course, the opposite is also true...

I believe that cyclists are much less likely to follow crosswalk laws, stopping for pedestrians.

Of course, there is a difference between a bicycle passing through a crosswalk at 10 MPH and a car shooting through it at 50 MPH.
I follow the exact same laws when riding my bike as I do when driving a car. I have had many cyclist (or should I say people riding bikes) roll in front of my path even on the walk signal. I scold cyclist and drivers alike.

Still, that's not the same as a pedestrian that looks over his shoulder and see you coming then steps off the curb right into your path. Unlike a car that only incurs vehicles damage, what happens to him, happens to you.

You also don't get the police response like you do in an automobile mishap. In fact, I had a department once have the audacity to tell me they were too busy dealing with real crimes.
Old 08-04-18, 10:56 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Let's face it: some cities have more traffic anarchy than others. Where anarchy prevails, it's probably unrealistic for cyclists to think they will somehow be treated better.

scott s.
Old 08-05-18, 12:33 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I live 20mi. from this intersection:

Referred to in the OP-linked article.

There is a lot of blocking the bike lane down there. By both delivery drivers' and by people picking up/dropping off passengers. That is despite DC municipal ordinances about blocking the bike lane.
Old 08-05-18, 01:43 AM
KraneXL

I follow the exact same laws when riding my bike as I do when driving a car. I have had many cyclist (or should I say people riding bikes) roll in front of my path even on the walk signal. I scold cyclist and drivers alike.

Still, that's not the same as a pedestrian that looks over his shoulder and see you coming then steps off the curb right into your path. Unlike a car that only incurs vehicles damage, what happens to him, happens to you.

You also don't get the police response like you do in an automobile mishap. In fact, I had a department once have the audacity to tell me they were too busy dealing with real crimes.
This video shows a few examples of what I mean.

Old 08-05-18, 07:10 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
What kind of response do you get from the strangers (including those who don't meet your standards for being a "cyclist") whom you scold in public? Better keep your health insurance payments current if you insist on playing that game with strangers.
Old 08-05-18, 06:15 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts

Of course, car drivers hate to have perfectly good parking spots left vacant, but especially in areas with frequent deliveries, or dropping off and picking up kids, they should have an area where vehicles can stop without really parking long-term.
I've seen in a parking plaza where with plenty of parking spaces all around, four cars parked at the no-parking, fire zone curbside right in front of a store. Some of them had drivers sitting in them waiting for their partners and others were empty using their hazard lights the wrong way.

I've also seen drivers pull into a driveway of a parking lot and stop there blocking other incoming cars.
Old 08-05-18, 06:27 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Daniel4
I've seen in a parking plaza where with plenty of parking spaces all around, four cars parked at the no-parking, fire zone curbside right in front of a store. Some of them had drivers sitting in them waiting for their partners and others were empty using their hazard lights the wrong way.

I've also seen drivers pull into a driveway of a parking lot and stop there blocking other incoming cars.
Most of the illegally parked cars that I see are Police Cars.
Old 08-05-18, 08:25 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What kind of response do you get from the strangers (including those who don't meet your standards for being a "cyclist") whom you scold in public? Better keep your health insurance payments current if you insist on playing that game with strangers.
First, its not my standards, it the law. And second, their response is as typical when some wrong is brought to task for a wrong committed: Half apologize, the other half are pigheaded.
Old 08-06-18, 08:01 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
First, its not my standards, it the law. And second, their response is as typical when some wrong is brought to task for a wrong committed: Half apologize, the other half are pigheaded.
You must have a different breed of cyclists and drivers in your area who apologize to a stranger playing at being a street-side judge who "scolds" them and "brings them to task" with his interpretation of the law.

Do they also apologize to cyclists/motorists who scream and scold them? Or do they think that would-be McGruffs who scream out "The Law" at strangers are just typical pigheaded self righteous jokers?

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 08-06-18 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-06-18, 11:50 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You must have a different breed of cyclists and drivers in your area who apologize to a stranger playing at being a street-side judge who "scolds" them and "brings them to task" with his interpretation of the law.
Like the challenge of interpreting if someone stops in the crosswalk? Its a burden I'm willing to accept.

Do they also apologize to cyclists/motorists who scream and scold them? Or do they think that would-be McGruffs who scream out "The Law" at strangers are just typical pigheaded self righteous jokers?
Who said anything about screaming? If that's your vision you couldn't be more wrong. One more thing, are you aware of what you're defending? (rhetorical question)
Old 08-10-18, 07:38 AM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...d6b_story.html
Old 08-11-18, 01:35 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
The multitude of bike lanes and 'sharrows' in urban Portland has created a culture of extreme resentment and hostility on the part of motorists so that when they see a bicycle operating legally on a street or lane not expressly marked for bicycle use they often react with naked aggression, which can be anything from horn heckling to actual physical interference with their vehicle. Conversely cyclists have become unreasonably proprietary of their hard won bike lanes, and when they are blocked, as they MUST be, occasionally, by First Responders, or by delivery vehicles, or waste disposal service vehicles, the cyclists react with extreme dismay, which on occasion results in physical damage to private property in the form of dented doors, broken wing mirrors, cracked windshields, etc. Come on people, why is this a thread topic? Do you really expect the driver of an appliance delivery vehicle to park on the other side of an office block and hump a 350lb. refrigerator around to the other side to avoid blocking a bike lane? Can a competent cyclist not enter the adjoining traffic lane for the 25 or 30 feet it takes to clear a large vehicle or the 10 to 20 feet it takes to clear smaller ones? Of course they can. I am much more concerned with close passes and other signs of intolerance and aggression from drivers than any amount of bike lane blocking that might go on in urban areas. Much more.
Old 08-14-18, 01:25 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
The cars and bikers coming up behind me, seeing my signal, pulled around me. One cyclist waited behind me.
If other cyclists managed to get around the car, why not this one? Bike lanes are a courtesy, but they are not the only way through any given area -- any reason the cyclist didn't think she could take the lane, while passing the obstruction in the bike lane...? Especially considering that other cyclists were doing the exact same thing? If a car's taking the bike lane, why not take a different lane...? And OK, so this is a parallel parking zone -- she'd prefer to ride in the door zone...?

Sorry, not sympathizing with the cyclist here...
Old 08-14-18, 08:28 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by mconlonx
If other cyclists managed to get around the car, why not this one? Bike lanes are a courtesy, but they are not the only way through any given area -- any reason the cyclist didn't think she could take the lane, while passing the obstruction in the bike lane...? Especially considering that other cyclists were doing the exact same thing? If a car's taking the bike lane, why not take a different lane...? And OK, so this is a parallel parking zone -- she'd prefer to ride in the door zone...?

Sorry, not sympathizing with the cyclist here...
Are roads a courtesy too? Its the same tax dollar. What about when someone parks on the sidewalk? You can still walk into the road or on someeone's private property to get around. Also, would you still be as reasonable if someone blocked half your driveway? After all, you still have enough space to get around...with a little maneuvering.
Old 08-15-18, 07:08 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Are roads a courtesy too? Its the same tax dollar. What about when someone parks on the sidewalk? You can still walk into the road or on someeone's private property to get around. Also, would you still be as reasonable if someone blocked half your driveway? After all, you still have enough space to get around...with a little maneuvering.
Yes, roads are a courtesy, too, in this sense. I see bikes and scooters parked on sidewalks all the time, partially obstructing pedestrian traffic... But more to the point, where there is no bike lane, people waiting to park and delivery drivers regularly stand in the roadway, next to a line of parked cars, technically in violation of obstructing traffic. Is this also such a big deal that it rates a confrontation from other motorists, or cyclists? Or do we expect to shrug such things off and either wait for the driver to move, or simply drive around when safe to do so?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.