Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Prescription sunglasses - where to get online?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-19, 08:08 AM
tedder987

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

With my FSA account refilled I want to get a (cheapish) pair of prescription sunglasses for the bike. I have been looking around and sportrx is too expensive for me. Safetygearpro.com is very inexpensive but there aren't many reviews on them I can find, and what I do find isn't that positive.

Can anyone with direct experience recommend a site for prescription cycling glasses that can be all-in for under $250 or am I trying to be too cheap?
Old 01-05-19, 09:15 AM
curttard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got Costco's "drivewear" prescription glasses for under $250. I got the "Shaq" model and wear them with a Croakie. No complaints after a year, although obviously not as much coverage as an Oakley style pair would have.
Old 01-05-19, 09:48 AM
tedder987

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Don't have a costco membership but I was thinking of swinging by walmart as well. No chance for Oakleys but some of the tifosi are in range (on the safetypro.com site, but then there is the quality/service question)
Old 01-05-19, 09:48 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I get my RX glasses from www.glassesusa.com. They have a large selection of frames and lens of all kinds. They always have a "sale" of some kind. Just remember that when you check out using the sale code is necessary. I have progressive lenses and they usually are in the $250 range after the code discount. I usually purchase one of the lower cost frames., but upgrade the lenses for thinness and anti-glare.You can also purchase protection for damage or loss. Also, you need to get a copy of your glasses script to send with the order. The only problem I have with new glasses from them is the fitting of the frame. I always have to do some adjustments. However, I have had occasions of going to my local eyeglasses business to get new nose pieces or adjustments and they have done so with no charge. It is where I get my yearly vision check up. The last time I was going to buy glasses from them I purchased from glassesusa for about half the price, very similar frames.
Old 01-05-19, 10:07 AM
SparkyBeacon 
Tourer

Bikes: Birdy folder, Bike Friday, Burley tandem, Nishiki fixie conversion, Dahon "Coca-Cola" Speed P8

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have purchased all of my glasses from Zenni for several years. I am up to 5 or 6 pairs. My prescription is for bifocals or progressive lenses. I get the progressive lenses which I think should be expensive. My glasses have only cost $60 - $100. Zenni ships from overseas and the wait time may be 2 weeks.

The first time you buy glasses online, you need to spend some time measuring your current frames to make sure you get the sizing right.

I have had a pair of sunglasses get "crazed". This can happen with any brand. It happens when the glasses are overheated in your car and the coating is affected. I will buy my next pair of sunglasses with no coatings.
Likes For SparkyBeacon:
Old 01-05-19, 02:18 PM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
I've gotten several RX glasses from eyebuydirect.com . I am failry certain they'll do shaded lenses. I also second glassesusa.
Old 01-09-19, 08:32 PM
tedder987

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Followup - I found even more negative posts about the safety gear pro glasses so i ended up using eyeconic.com since they were the only in-network site for my insurance. Still seems like a rip-off when the insurance company pays marked-up rates to the website they own for glasses but at least it isn't (directly) my money. FWIW I am getting progressive trivex lenses with hydrophilic & scratch resistant coatings in semi-wraparound Nike frames for $181 after the insurance. Not really cycling-specific frames, but at least 'sporty' and some decent-looking protection from wind. I'll post a follow up to give details on lens quality when I get them (a couple of weeks from now)
Old 01-10-19, 09:12 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I just get the automatic darkening glasses whenever I get new glasses. Saves the hassle of having to get prescription sunglasses, and switching them between being outside or inside.
Old 01-10-19, 09:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
I wouldn't go cheap. This fall I was fortunate to score a pair of Rudy Project Sun Agnon with transitional lenses and bi-focal inserts for a grand total of $370 (including 8% sales tax). The glasses themselves (i.e., without the Rx inserts) were discounted from $250 to $132 because they were a year-end closeout. Note that you cannot buy Rudy Project Rx from them on line.
Old 01-12-19, 10:32 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Not online, but I got these Liberty prescriptions at local Lenscrafters. They are everywhere, same day delivery, and these were $300 for blended bi-focals. I've also had lined bifocals in a similar frame.
Old 01-12-19, 10:47 AM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Hoya now owns the AO safety line. Lots of choices there $165 flat rate

Hoya Safety Rx
Old 01-21-19, 08:35 PM
ct-vt-trekker

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Tarmac SL8Pro, 2022 Specialized Epic Evo, 2021 Framed Alaskan Fatbike,2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
www.sportrx.com

I've bought several pair , Rudy Project, Tivosi etc.
Excellent quality but it will probably take a few weeks for them to make them.
Likes For ct-vt-trekker:
Old 01-22-19, 06:06 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I am jealous, With heavy astigmatism, and progressives low cost even under my vision plan is a pipedream. Costco and Walmart will not even accept the prescription. I use clip-ons or an older pair of sunglasses that are ok for distance, but not close up.
Old 01-22-19, 09:18 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
I've had good experiences with Zenni for 15+ years. Consumer Reports has recommended them.
Old 01-22-19, 09:27 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Zenni has treated me well, though admittedly my prescription is not super strong or complicated. My whole family now uses them. I love getting my glasses online. I hated having to drive somewhere twice and having to put up with the hard sell on every possible expensive option.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 08-13-19, 04:44 PM
Johnny Blazee

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Avoid Safety gear pro like the Plague!!

They sent me a broken product without the tint I paid for, I sent it back and it took them 2 months in total to get their **** together! They have horrible customer service who all give you the same scripted BS line to get you off the phone. You will be calling them several times to hear the same sob story. If you return the crap they sent you for a refund they have an outrageous fee and you will only be getting back like half your money if your lucky!
Originally Posted by tedder987
With my FSA account refilled I want to get a (cheapish) pair of prescription sunglasses for the bike. I have been looking around and sportrx is too expensive for me. Safetygearpro.com is very inexpensive but there aren't many reviews on them I can find, and what I do find isn't that positive.

Can anyone with direct experience recommend a site for prescription cycling glasses that can be all-in for under $250 or am I trying to be too cheap?
Old 08-13-19, 07:40 PM
ahanulec

Bikes: Felt F85, Proflex 757, Proflex 252

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I will second Glasses USA. I used them for the first time last year where I wanted a second pair of glasses after my insurance paid out. Sounds exactly what you are doing.

Anyway, for just under $250 i was able to pick up some Oakley frames fitted with coated Transitions lenses.

The ordering went well and the glasses were great.
Old 08-13-19, 08:04 PM
LesG

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
+1 for Zenni. My new pair of titanium frameless came last week. Lens material is Trivex and are progressives. They were ordered with anti reflective and oleophobic (smudge and fingerprint resistant) coating. Total delivered cost came to $115.90. I could have come in a lot cheaper by dropping the Trivex lens material. The coatings were only 15 bucks.
Old 08-14-19, 06:43 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by ct-vt-trekker
www.sportrx.com

I've bought several pair , Rudy Project, Tivosi etc.
Excellent quality but it will probably take a few weeks for them to make them.
Second on them. My Oakleys were bought from them, and while certainly *not* inexpensive, they are excellent.
Old 08-14-19, 07:14 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If you buy Oakleys, it doesn't matter where you buy them from, as they grind and fit all of their lenses in-house in their own lab. No one else is doing curved Rx lenses to the degree that Oakley does.

I went through this exact OP scenario a few years ago, and can say now that I'm done with buying Rx glasses online. I had done 3 pairs, and of the three, only the non-tinted pair from Safetypro came out proper. SportRx botched one, Framesdirect the other. The grind/finish on the others (both tinted) left a lot to be desired-- and I don't have a strong prescription. Some places just can't get a curved lens done right.

I go through my optometrist now. I have insurance-- whose coverages are pretty minimal, mostly just exam and basic lenses-- but the office gives me a great deal. My recent pair of Nikes have everything on the lenses, and they were ~$260 out the door. The nosepiece started to fall apart recently, and they warrantied the frame no questions asked. There still remains some advantages to brick and mortar. Oh, and the grind and optical quality on the Nikes is perfect.

They're also putting new lenses in my frames from SportRx for me-- no sense in wasting perfectly good frames.
Old 08-14-19, 04:04 PM
weiwentg

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
If you buy Oakleys, it doesn't matter where you buy them from, as they grind and fit all of their lenses in-house in their own lab. No one else is doing curved Rx lenses to the degree that Oakley does.

I went through this exact OP scenario a few years ago, and can say now that I'm done with buying Rx glasses online. I had done 3 pairs, and of the three, only the non-tinted pair from Safetypro came out proper. SportRx botched one, Framesdirect the other. The grind/finish on the others (both tinted) left a lot to be desired-- and I don't have a strong prescription. Some places just can't get a curved lens done right.

I go through my optometrist now. I have insurance-- whose coverages are pretty minimal, mostly just exam and basic lenses-- but the office gives me a great deal. My recent pair of Nikes have everything on the lenses, and they were ~$260 out the door. The nosepiece started to fall apart recently, and they warrantied the frame no questions asked. There still remains some advantages to brick and mortar. Oh, and the grind and optical quality on the Nikes is perfect.

They're also putting new lenses in my frames from SportRx for me-- no sense in wasting perfectly good frames.
If you are buying Oakley frames with Oakley lenses, you're correct. However, with some online shops like SportRx, you can have them do their own brand prescription lenses. I'm pretty sure these are a bit cheaper than the Oakley lenses. The quality might not be as good but it should be more than adequate. You won't be able to get the advanced Oakley tints like the Prizm lenses. I have to say, I switched to contacts in part so I wouldn't have to keep shelling out for prescription Oakley lenses plus regular glasses. I have a pair of Prizm road lenses. They work really well. I would not look forward to getting prescription Prizm road lenses.

Also, I think I've shopped around at SportRx and similar sites for the house brand lenses. When I loaded them up with options, they didn't seem much cheaper than Oakley's own lenses. Not all the options may have been necessary; you don't need polarized lenses for everything, for example. I don't think Oakley actually includes anti-reflective coating on their lenses, I think they only do anti-fog on the outside of most, and they're most certainly not scratch resistant.

Last edited by weiwentg; 08-14-19 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-14-19, 05:33 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts

Last edited by Cyclist753; 01-11-20 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-14-19, 10:43 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
I’ve had good luck over the years with sporteyes.com
Old 08-15-19, 08:43 PM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Zenni has treated me well, though admittedly my prescription is not super strong or complicated. My whole family now uses them. I love getting my glasses online. I hated having to drive somewhere twice and having to put up with the hard sell on every possible expensive option.
+ one!! Zenni has been good to me and my friends for many years.
Old 02-21-20, 09:17 PM
Batstar

Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Another plug for SportRx

Oakley was not able to accommodate my moderately high RX so I went with Rudy Project slim Rydons and their dock system from SportRx. The smaller frame size is a superb fit for me and the dock system accepts my progressive RX.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.