Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'71 Raleigh International Garage Sale Find

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

'71 Raleigh International Garage Sale Find

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-20, 02:05 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Better, but you are cheating. the dimension on the last image shows a pad/holder with much more dimension from the inside of the caliper arm to the rim.
Of course the caliper will look better when the pads are in contact with the rim.

The pads in the first image with black pads are upside down.
Yeah, those are upside down, but they were ridiculous the correct way because the caliper had to come in so far to contact the rim.

So, just curious, what would be an example of not cheating in this situation?
Old 02-08-20, 02:39 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by jackbombay
Modern pads don't work too well with the weinmann 750 brakes, the brake bridge being so high on this era Raleigh certainly makes things worse. My alignment issues on my 72' Super Course are not as bad as yours, but I do wish the pads were a 1/4" thicker to keep the arms of the brake parallel when the brake is not engaged. The Jagwire holders make the brake geometry look correct!
And they don’t look too bad either. I’m not even expecting these brakes to work very well, I just don’t want them to cut the tire!
Old 02-08-20, 02:48 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobLee
And they don’t look too bad either. I’m not even expecting these brakes to work very well, I just don’t want them to cut the tire!
The pads on my rear weinmann 750 are 1/4" from the end of the brake arm, yours are right at the end to minimize braking power even more :-/ Why Raleigh put the brake bridge so high on these is a head scratcher, its not like anyone would be putting fenders on this bike.

I put 200 miles on mine with the ROCK hard original pads from 1972, so now that I have modern new pads on the brakes with fresh cables and housings I'm sure the brakes will work sooo much better!
Old 02-08-20, 06:02 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Got the bars the way I like ‘em!

Old 02-08-20, 06:50 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

I kid, I kid. They slipped back that way one day when I was working on it, and it made me chuckle. I hadn’t seen that in years!

Here she is, all cleaned up. The street is dry, so I try.

Old 02-08-20, 06:57 PM
jackbombay

I had the same kink in the rear derailleur cable at the cable stop on the top of the chain stay, I hated the look of it, and it can't make the bike shift better, so I used a small zip tie to hold it to the chain stay,

Old 02-08-20, 07:08 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
I think those brakes are 610 front and rear. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what they look like. I think 750s would work with Koolstop inserts or Continentals.
edit: I think the 610s stop better than the 750s, but either will stop you if you have some good pads. Maybe the MAFACS are better, but the Weinmann center pulls are pretty effective.

Likes For desconhecido:
Old 02-08-20, 07:19 PM
jackbombay

Now that you posted pics of the 610 and the 750 it looks like the rear is a 610 and the front is a 750, which I think was fairly common back then?
Old 02-08-20, 07:39 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Yeah, those are upside down, but they were ridiculous the correct way because the caliper had to come in so far to contact the rim.

So, just curious, what would be an example of not cheating in this situation?

I jest a bit, the old Weinmann pads were quite deep. The Modern "orbital" adjustment pads and holder combo are a better way, provide for good brake geometry.
I have to go and look at my '71 International, Raleigh did modify things. Rear brake on my bike has a reach of 60 mm and uses the shorter reach caliper, stock Weinmann tubular rims of 21mm wide, they were known to be wide compared to many others.
Old 02-08-20, 07:51 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by desconhecido
I think those brakes are 610 front and rear. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what they look like. I think 750s would work with Koolstop inserts or Continentals.
edit: I think the 610s stop better than the 750s, but either will stop you if you have some good pads. Maybe the MAFACS are better, but the Weinmann center pulls are pretty effective.

Yes, I think 610’s. They’re the same front and rear, and both stickers were gone, but I think they have the shorter arms. They’re pretty strong, in my opinion.

The rear brake tightened the first time I rode it, which I thought was odd. I realized that the pads had enough grip to rotate the brake on the bridge, effectively tightening the cable. Is it possible for these to have more grip than they were designed for?

Old 02-08-20, 08:05 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
Yes, I think 610’s. They’re the same front and rear, and both stickers were gone, but I think they have the shorter arms. They’re pretty strong, in my opinion.

The rear brake tightened the first time I rode it, which I thought was odd. I realized that the pads had enough grip to rotate the brake on the bridge, effectively tightening the cable. Is it possible for these to have more grip than they were designed for?

No, I don't think so. More likely the mounting bolt isn't tightened down far enough. It also looks like you may be missing one of the spacers with a curved cutout in it to fit around the brake bridge (I believe there should be one both on the front and back of the brake bridge and it looks like you only have the one on the back). That would reduce the clamping force of the bolt. Also, the brake holders you have appear to be too long. Don't they collide with the rear stay?
Old 02-08-20, 08:21 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by davester
No, I don't think so. More likely the mounting bolt isn't tightened down far enough. It also looks like you may be missing one of the spacers with a curved cutout in it to fit around the brake bridge (I believe there should be one both on the front and back of the brake bridge and it looks like you only have the one on the back). That would reduce the clamping force of the bolt. Also, the brake holders you have appear to be too long. Don't they collide with the rear stay?
Both washers are there. The pad holders are road size, same as the old ones, so plenty of room around the stays, no collisions. Maybe I’ll crank down on that sucker and see if it’ll stay perpendicular.

Old 02-08-20, 10:41 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
If there's any doubt about whether they are 610 or 750, the number is marked on the back side of each caliper arm. I've recently been messing with a French frame that seems to be right at the top limit of the 750s and bottom limit of the 610s. Neither brake, in my opinion, is easy to set up near the limit of it's reach. What I have found to be useful for adjusting toe and pad angle is to use small bits of solid copper wire as shims. Peen the wire and it gets pretty thin and when you get a piece that's about the proper thickness to give you the adjustment you want, you can easily break off the wire as the peening makes it quite brittle. Unless you're looking for it, it's not easy to see and you won't break your arms doing it.
Old 02-08-20, 10:54 PM
repechage

the bridge hole on my International is... sloppy
too big as well. I went to the hobby store and purchased some aluminum tubing to act as a shim, extended it back and into the curved washer - increased the bore of it to match and tightened it up. Poor mfg choice by Raleigh/ Carlton.
Likes For repechage:
Old 02-09-20, 10:22 AM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

too big as well. I went to the hobby store and purchased some aluminum tubing to act as a shim, extended it back and into the curved washer - increased the bore of it to match and tightened it up. Poor mfg choice by Raleigh/ Carlton.
Right! The brake mounting bolt shouldn’t be able to pivot that much in the frame, even if it weren’t super tight. That’s a great tip. Thanks!
Likes For JacobLee:
Old 02-09-20, 10:32 AM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by desconhecido
If there's any doubt about whether they are 610 or 750, the number is marked on the back side of each caliper arm. I've recently been messing with a French frame that seems to be right at the top limit of the 750s and bottom limit of the 610s. Neither brake, in my opinion, is easy to set up near the limit of it's reach. What I have found to be useful for adjusting toe and pad angle is to use small bits of solid copper wire as shims. Peen the wire and it gets pretty thin and when you get a piece that's about the proper thickness to give you the adjustment you want, you can easily break off the wire as the peening makes it quite brittle. Unless you're looking for it, it's not easy to see and you won't break your arms doing it.
Yep, I can just make out 610 if I shine a flashlight at the back of the brake and squint really hard. You’d think I would have noticed that when I had them apart, but the number didn’t mean anything before my C&V weinmann tutorial. Thanks again for all of the info. I never would have thought to make shims out of copper wire, but that’s such a creative approach. Still, I’d have to find the longer reach brakes to get to the 700c rims, so I’ll probably leave it as-is for now. Plenty of other fish to fry on this bike, like the silly-narrow handlebars! Rides great though, just spinning around the neighborhood.
Old 02-09-20, 12:50 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

I’ve got another question, or two, about the Campy NR front derailleur. First, it seems to want to ride back on the upper, outer pivot. Am I missing something, or is it just a wear issue? Second, the cable clamp wouldn’t grip the cable tightly enough, so I had to make a little sleeve out of a cable tip to give it enough meat to clamp. Did der. cables get skinnier? Thanks!

Old 02-09-20, 06:46 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

I’ve got another question, or two, about the Campy NR front derailleur. First, it seems to want to ride back on the upper, outer pivot. Am I missing something, or is it just a wear issue? Second, the cable clamp wouldn’t grip the cable tightly enough, so I had to make a little sleeve out of a cable tip to give it enough meat to clamp. Did der. cables get skinnier? Thanks!
1. It is fairly common for the pivot pin to come loose from its base, so that's what you may be experiencing. Pull the derailleur apart and try to wiggle the pin. I'm not sure how to fix that problem...I just bought a newer derailleur body. Also note that the later versions came with a circlip that fit into a groove on the end of the pin. I don't see a circlip on yours so that could be the problem.

2. Yes, the cables got skinnier. You can get the fatter cables but I have been buying them from a local vintage-friendly bike shop. I don't know a good source online.
Likes For davester:
Old 02-09-20, 07:15 PM
repechage

Campagnolo disease. The fix was the later body with the forward extension and the circlip.
or with a Very good drill press or Bridgeport mill drill through the pin from the back and then tap for a 3mm x .5 fastener and insert a screw like Campagnolo did when this derailleur was first released.

when that happened to me in 1973 I was quite disappointed. Then the circlip version arrived and I bought that as a replacement part in 1974.

some guys reversed the bolt and anchored the cable on the other side- not terrific but less offset
Likes For repechage:
Old 02-09-20, 08:04 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Campagnolo disease. The fix was the later body with the forward extension and the circlip.
or with a Very good drill press or Bridgeport mill drill through the pin from the back and then tap for a 3mm x .5 fastener and insert a screw like Campagnolo did when this derailleur was first released.

when that happened to me in 1973 I was quite disappointed. Then the circlip version arrived and I bought that as a replacement part in 1974.

some guys reversed the bolt and anchored the cable on the other side- not terrific but less offset
Ha! That makes me feel better. Thanks for the story. When I was taking it apart for cleaning, I thought to myself, “Well isn’t this graceful, nothing holds this pivot together.”

Also, thanks for the brake bolt tubing idea. I cut a cable ferule apart lengthwise and sat both halves on top of the bolt. Tightened it up, and voila! Made a bit of an eccentric shim to get the calipers .0001mm closer to the rim.

20 miles and 1,200 feet and zero issues. Thanks for all the help!

Likes For JacobLee:
Old 02-10-20, 05:45 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,393 Times in 2,092 Posts
Better, but you are cheating. the dimension on the last image shows a pad/holder with much more dimension from the inside of the caliper arm to the rim.
Of course the caliper will look better when the pads are in contact with the rim.

The pads in the first image with black pads are upside down.
Not cheating. Getting good braking performance from centerpulls requires that you get the distance between pad and arm dialed in (and the angle of attack square). In some cases - like the above example - not even the factory Weinmann pads did a good job of that.

Since most modern, block-style repop pads don't have enough thread on them to accommodate spacers, using modern, adjustable cantilever pads are an intelligent solution, even if not particularly original in appearance.

Some may argue the contrary, but they've probably never experienced one of these particular centerpulls running at their optimum level.

If the brake bridge appears too large on any 1970's Raleigh, chances are it had shim in it from the start. I've seen multiple examples with a very poorly cut piece of tubing with a slot in it shoved in the bridge.

These shims look homespun, but I've seen enough that I'm convinced the shim was from the factory. They always look the same, and are ridiculously sloppy in fit. It is no surprise your frames didn't have them - probably took all of two minutes for the shim to fall out 20 years ago.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 02-10-20 at 05:55 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 02-10-20, 10:02 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by cudak888
Not cheating. Getting good braking performance from centerpulls requires that you get the distance between pad and arm dialed in (and the angle of attack square). In some cases - like the above example - not even the factory Weinmann pads did a good job of that.

Since most modern, block-style repop pads don't have enough thread on them to accommodate spacers, using modern, adjustable cantilever pads are an intelligent solution, even if not particularly original in appearance.

Some may argue the contrary, but they've probably never experienced one of these particular centerpulls running at their optimum level.

If the brake bridge appears too large on any 1970's Raleigh, chances are it had shim in it from the start. I've seen multiple examples with a very poorly cut piece of tubing with a slot in it shoved in the bridge.

These shims look homespun, but I've seen enough that I'm convinced the shim was from the factory. They always look the same, and are ridiculously sloppy in fit. It is no surprise your frames didn't have them - probably took all of two minutes for the shim to fall out 20 years ago.

-Kurt
I saw a cheat in the comparison only, the ultimate solution was sound, felt akin to those back of the magazine adverts for melting belly fat which the best way is ride your bloody bike.
Agree, a shim is needed. But from way back when we exchanged Weinmann's for Campagnolo brakes, (rear with a drop bolt)- never saw those shims. But I am sure they did exist, a assembly variable.
I will look for a set of these mod pads/holders for my International.
Will leave the aged and intact ones for the Concours circuit... wait, there is no vintage lightweight concours circuit...

Last edited by repechage; 02-10-20 at 10:07 AM.
Likes For repechage:
Old 02-10-20, 10:58 AM
davester

Will leave the aged and intact ones for the Concours circuit... wait, there is no vintage lightweight concours circuit...
There certainly is. However, it's a circuit of one (Eroica California).
Old 02-10-20, 02:27 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by cudak888

-Kurt
I tell ya, I think these brakes are great. They stop fine, modulate well, no squealing, etc. The only problem with them is the brake levers are way out on the end of those vintage bars, and seem about a mile away from the flats, which are only a few inches wide. I think I’ll replace the whole stem/bar/lever assembly so that I can keep the old red cotton tape intact and hang those on the wall in case I ever want to put it back the way it was. I think the GB stem looks sort of lumpy anyhow.
Likes For JacobLee:
Old 02-10-20, 04:13 PM
repechage

There certainly is. However, it's a circuit of one (Eroica California).
Just a point in space and time.

Fun to look at, the price to display is a negative. I did not look at the cost this year, but a few year's ago, it was silly.
I know a few who have 10 if not dozens of bikes that could/should be shown.
Not economical and a logistic nightmare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.