Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The ultimate Apollo thread........

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The ultimate Apollo thread........

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-14, 10:38 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by jcmac
. . . So is the consensus that this is a 1985 Regent then? Just to clarify. Where would this Apollo be built? Japan? Or is it related to the Australian Apollo bikes?
Hi jcmac,

thanks for posting more pictures.

From your photos the model is a "Classic", not a Regent which it resembles. Both models had the same tube set. The Regent that I saw had Shimano 600 components, not Suntour that your Classic has.

Yes to Japan. Kuwahara built frame from Osaka Japan.

Related to Australian Apollos? Yes and no. Canadian Apollo's and Australian Apollos's where different distributors. Both distributors had some of their frames made by Kuwahara, but each set their own specifications. So there is little or no alignment between Canadian and Australian models. Both distributors also had frames made by other manufacturers.
Old 10-29-14, 09:06 PM
jcmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Hummer! Thanks for all your information. : ) Just wondering, is a Classic an entry level bike or mid level like the Regent? Would it still be a 1985 model?

Originally Posted by Hummer
Hi jcmac,

thanks for posting more pictures.

From your photos the model is a "Classic", not a Regent which it resembles. Both models had the same tube set. The Regent that I saw had Shimano 600 components, not Suntour that your Classic has.

Yes to Japan. Kuwahara built frame from Osaka Japan.

Related to Australian Apollos? Yes and no. Canadian Apollo's and Australian Apollos's where different distributors. Both distributors had some of their frames made by Kuwahara, but each set their own specifications. So there is little or no alignment between Canadian and Australian models. Both distributors also had frames made by other manufacturers.
Old 02-08-15, 06:39 PM
missmarla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Apollo nerds!
Any guesses on the age or model of this Apollo? https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/4871599178.html

Serial number is MH 1011770 which doesn't match with any of the Apollo serial number resources I've found on this site or elsewhere. Shimano Altus derailleur, 700c wheels.

Thanks!
Old 02-08-15, 07:39 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Missmarla - the CL post was deleted when I checked a minute ago.

Since the Apollo love on BF seems to be waning as of late ... here's before and after photos of the winter project. Still haven't ridden it yet (outdoors) even though today was a fabulous spring like day. Will post more photos once the bike is road tested.

Old 02-08-15, 09:50 PM
missmarla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@h2oxtc my bad! Here are the photos from the ad. Any ideas on the approximate vintage?

Old 02-09-15, 01:36 AM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by missmarla
@h2oxtc my bad! Here are the photos from the ad. Any ideas on the approximate vintage?

it's so weird to see the bike where the image has been flipped or mirrored. The drive side with the chain should be on the side facing the camera with the bike in that position.

That said, the image is pretty low resolution. Judging from what I can see I would guess early to mid 80's. I recall finding a reference to Apollo serial numbers, but can't recall exactly where. Knowing details of the various bike components would offer a better estimate. Is this your bike that you're selling? Or wanting to buy?
Old 02-09-15, 02:31 PM
missmarla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc
it's so weird to see the bike where the image has been flipped or mirrored. The drive side with the chain should be on the side facing the camera with the bike in that position.

That said, the image is pretty low resolution. Judging from what I can see I would guess early to mid 80's. I recall finding a reference to Apollo serial numbers, but can't recall exactly where. Knowing details of the various bike components would offer a better estimate. Is this your bike that you're selling? Or wanting to buy?
I know, the pictures are awful! It's a bike I'm thinking of buying. The seller is asking $100 (we're in the Bay Area) although I'm gonna try to talk him down a bit.
Old 03-30-15, 09:31 AM
hummuhummu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New addition to the Apollo stable. Serial number 84 11 29093. November 1984 manufacture it seems. I can't find a model name. Tubing sticker says 4130 chromemoly butted tubes. I'm guessing that is the main tubes only.

A friend found the frame in the trash and passed it on to me. Built it up over the winter with 650B wheels, Dia Compe 710 centre pull brakes, Velo Orange Porteur bars, bar con shifters mounted to Dia Compe thumb shifter mounts.

This will be a commute/toodling/transportation bike for my daughter.

I think it turned out pretty good and looks sharp. I might change up a few things. A bigger rack or basket for the front. Possibly a rear rack. A plastic saddle instead of the Brooks for weather and theft deterrent.

Any ideas on the model?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3339sm.jpg (99.6 KB, 904 views)
IMG_3341sm.jpg (97.5 KB, 888 views)
IMG_3342sm.jpg (99.8 KB, 886 views)
Old 05-05-15, 05:00 PM
carissio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys, Just picked up this old Apollo 10 Speed for free! I plan on using it as a commuter. I hear the gear shift is near impossible to find parts for these days.. hoping it will last me. But other than some rust and peeling decals, it appears to be in pretty good functioning shape!!
any info is appreciated!

https://imgur.com/yYKRADe
Old 05-05-15, 09:07 PM
Hummer

Hi @carissio,

your Apollo has a Deelites or Fred Deeley headbadge so it is from before 1976.

Have you found the serial number? This can provide more information about the age of the bicycle.

The serial number may be on the seat tube lug, on the seat tube below the seat tube lug, on the seat tube above the bottom bracket shell non-drive side, or on the bottom bracket shell.
Old 05-05-15, 10:05 PM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by carissio
Hey guys, Just picked up this old Apollo 10 Speed for free! I plan on using it as a commuter. I hear the gear shift is near impossible to find parts for these days.. hoping it will last me. But other than some rust and peeling decals, it appears to be in pretty good functioning shape!!
any info is appreciated!

https://imgur.com/yYKRADe
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but...

The bike pictured in that link was badly crashed, and would be dangerous to ride unless you completely replace the fork.
Old 06-21-15, 07:39 PM
jcmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apollo Prestige XL

Hello again! Thanks so much to those who helped me with my other Apollo last year! My husband and I bought another one today. A 1983 Apollo Prestige XL. The gentleman we bought it from was the original owner, sold here in Edmonton, Alberta, from Western Cycle. It is a beautiful opalescent pearl color and in absolutely amazing shape. Thanks so much, Don, for selling it! It will have a good home. : ) Including some pictures! If anyone knows what level this bike is, that would be interesting, or any other information would be much appreciated.
Attached Images
DSC01276.jpg (95.8 KB, 439 views)
DSC01280.jpg (90.6 KB, 436 views)
DSC01274.jpg (103.0 KB, 873 views)
DSC01279.jpg (103.8 KB, 868 views)
Old 06-21-15, 10:49 PM
holden west

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman * 1984 Apollo Club Sport * 1991 Cramerrotti Road Bike

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Good mid-level sport-tourer. Pretty common out west but not usually in such good condition as this one.
Old 07-07-15, 11:26 AM
skintgerm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have the same bike as the first pic!

I just got an Apollo all original I was gonna rebuild to fit me but I think I'm gonna scavenge for parts and keep it O.G.
I also have another bike that's a '79 I believe
Old 07-07-15, 01:58 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by jcmac
Hello again! Thanks so much to those who helped me with my other Apollo last year! My husband and I bought another one today. A 1983 Apollo Prestige XL.

I can't believe I've never posted my slightly older (1980?) Prestige on this thread. It looks like the Prestige got a bit more prestigious as time when on; yours came with forged dropouts vs stamped on mine. Same pearl color, but mine was about half gone when I picked it up as a bare frame + non-original fork out of the a bike co-op scrap pile.

I first built it up as a fixie:

Frame getting prepped for repainting:

And turned it into a fake italian racer; sporting Legnano livery, centerpull brakes and Campy Nuovo Grand Sport shifty bits:

● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 10-24-15 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-27-15, 02:57 PM
musicdiver

Bikes: '90s Specialized Hardrock, '84 Apollo Club Sport, '84 Centurion Pro Tour 15...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recently sold (le sigh... but the Centurion was proving to be my main ride and one must keep space for N+1 should a crazy opportunity come up. ) - 1984 Apollo Club Sport (Tange 900, Shimano 600EX)

Old 09-09-15, 04:07 PM
dontcheeseme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone,

I hope people are still checking this thread, finding information on Apollo road bikes online has proved to be quite the task!
I was recently given an old Apollo road bike, and was hoping to find a little bit more info about it from some road biking experts please and thanks.

It's an MK II, and from what I was able to research online and then locate the serial number, it seems like it's a '77 model. Most pages that exist seem to only talk about the entry sport 10 or 12's, the Mark III, and then the higher end models out there.

So where does the MK II fit in? It has the chromed front fork, but those old school Sun Tour shifters. I've noticed that the trend has been that most owners are on the west coast, and from researching the Apollo history, it's from Japan, imported by one man exclusively via BC (that had rights to Harley's too? Neat.), but I'm located on the East coast, and this was as I'm told, acquired in the Toronto area when it was first purchased all those years ago. A decal on the frame, seems to verify that. It doesn't bear the 'Deeley' badge, but instead has the Apollo one proudly on the front, with the nice Kuwahara text emblazoned near the handlebars/fork thing as well.

The BEST image of mine that I've found out there is this one: $275 || Apollo MK II | Bicycle-Itis | Your Shop for Used Bikes in Victoria BC The one I have looks identical down to colour, the only difference is that I don't have the accessory over my rear wheel that the one in the image does.

Hoping someone out there can shed a little more light on this!
Thanks in advance,

- JB
Old 09-10-15, 03:09 PM
musicdiver

Bikes: '90s Specialized Hardrock, '84 Apollo Club Sport, '84 Centurion Pro Tour 15...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi @dontcheeseme ,
The MKII would've been near the bottom end of 70's Apollos with the stem shifters and hi-ten steel.
From a 2010 thread here on the topic: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...ue-please.html "This model was 2nd from the bottom of the line and sold for about $150-175 CDN IIRC. It's got a hi-tensile frame, steel rims, SunTour VGT derailleurs with stem shifters. The cotterless crank is the best part on the bicycle."
See also
https://freelanderbicycles.com/blogs/news/31010881-apollo-mk-ii-suntour-power-shifter-assembly
Old 10-23-15, 10:59 AM
Arrowhead Rider

Bikes: 2006 Norco VFR; 2004 Trek 6000 Mtn Bike; 1983 Apollo Sport Ten

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sharing Nostalgic Apollo Storey

Hi all, My wife owned an Apollo back in the early 70’s when we were dating and for a while after we were married when she upgraded. She loved her Apollo! Two years ago I picked up this 1972 Apollo (a spontaneous purchase since the owner was asking only $25.00; and for the sake of nostalgia - it is identical to my wife’s previous bike). I love that it looks almost brand new. However, even though it is a good fit for me, this bike is the lowest end Apollo, and darn heavy, so I’ll likely never do any serious riding on it. And being in my early 60”s I don’t much like the narrow drop bars. I thought about turning it into a fixie; or, upgrading some of the components to make it a bit lighter. However, recently decided it’s not worth it for me. So I guess the only reason I’m posting is to share my Apollo story with people who care, before I sell it or donate it this Spring.
John
Attached Images
Apollo 4.jpg (84.9 KB, 435 views)
Apollo 3.jpg (96.3 KB, 439 views)
Apollo 2.jpg (95.6 KB, 438 views)
Apollo 1.jpg (95.0 KB, 922 views)
Apollo 5.jpg (92.1 KB, 431 views)
Old 10-23-15, 11:14 PM
Hummer

Originally Posted by Arrowhead Rider
. . . I picked up this 1972 Apollo (a spontaneous purchase since the owner was asking only $25.00; and for the sake of nostalgia - it is identical to my wife’s previous bike). I love that it looks almost brand new. . . .
Hi John,

that is a nice looking bicycle and in great condition. For that price you cannot go wrong.

I am interested to know why you think the bicycle is from 1972. The decal lay out looks more like 1980 - 81. You can check the date of frame manufactufing from the serial number.
Old 10-24-15, 06:27 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
That bike looks gorgeous! If you were nearer to me I'd be sorely tempted to make you an offer for it. I'm already imagining it with down tube shifters, a black Brooks, some gum hoods ...

You can probably get the weight down by a kilo or two without much trouble as well.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 10-24-15, 02:50 PM
Arrowhead Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply and noting the likelihood this bike is newer than a '72. The guy I bought the bike from, and who had it sitting in his garage for approx 20 years seemed to think it was a '72 bike. The serial number on the bottom bracket is 0S8319. After checking earlier posts and a few other forums, I'm going to assume this is an 1983 Apollo.
Old 10-24-15, 02:56 PM
Arrowhead Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, non-fixie for your input ... if you are ever in BC, we'll talk. I really appreciate you sharing your imaginings re tube shifters, etc.. I'm more inclined to keep the bike and modify it to make it more usable for me (or for others in my family), however I'm short on ideas; you've given me a few good ideas. Would you mind elaborating about how I might reduce the weight? I'm thinking the only option is upgrading the wheels. Cheers & Groetjes!
Old 10-24-15, 04:53 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
(...) Groetjes!

Well, since you're asking ...

I wouldn't want to change the look & feel of the bike, so no major surgery and certainly no Campagnolo Nuovo Record or other fancy stuff. Here's what I would do:

1. Remove some superfluous steel
The spoke protector and chain guard need to go. This will improve the looks and the weight at no cost and little work (if you do it yourself; little cost and no work if you have your LBS do it.)

2. Move the shifters from the stem to the down tube
You'll need clamp-on shifter bosses, but the rest will work as-is. This will improve the looks big-time and help shed (a little) more weight.

3. Remove the safety brake levers
You can either remove the 'turkey wings' (this will probably leave a stub) or get a pair of replacement levers (Weinmann or Dia Compe). They should be easy to find for little money. The weight saving is negligible, but it will improve the look. Get some rubber hoods while you're at it.

At this point he bike has been 'de-dorked' and will look much more grown-up. It's still a little heavy though. My next steps would be:

4. Replace the wheels and tires
Those look like steel rims. They look awesome, but weigh a ton and and the brakes won't work well - if at all - in the wet. If so, I'd be looking in my attic for a wheel set with aluminum rims. (and preferably high flange hubs for looks.) This will really save some weight and make a big difference in how the bike feels and rides. Get some good lightweight tires. Panaracer Pasela is the default choice, and they weigh half as much as a cheap tire. If the rims are 'hooked', get the folding version, as they're even lighter. The 28mm TourGuard is a nice compromise between weight, looks, comfort and durability.

5. Replace the crank set
If it were a traditional Stronglight or Nervar set I would leave it on, but in this case I'd replace them with a cheap aluminum set. I have a low-end but very light Thun Coronado set that would look just right on this bike. Sugino Maxy would also be a good choice, IMO.

The weight is now probably down to between 12 and 12.5 kilograms, and light enough for anything but the highest Alps.

The rest has more to do with personal preferences:

6. Replace the saddle
I'd want a black, slightly worn Brooks on it. Preferably a B17, so it will take a saddle bag when touring, which is what I'd be doing with it. I'd probably replace the seat post as well with an aluminum one, while I'm at it. Or maybe not, as I like the look of the traditional saddle clamp. Or find a Birmalux in the right size, that will let me have the best of both worlds ...

7. Replace the pedals and add toe clips
I don't know about you or your family members, but I like them.

8. Lose some sleep over the colors of the cable housing, toe straps and bar tape
This is generally the most difficult part. At this point I think I'd go for all black, as it sets off the shiny bits so beautifully. Cotton bar tape.

Old 10-24-15, 05:25 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
even though it is a good fit for me, this bike is the lowest end Apollo, and darn heavy, so I’ll likely never do any serious riding on it.
Do you mind taking a look at the tubing sticker, just under the saddle, the one that says "012" on it? I'm trying to re-confirm in my own mind whether that is a an Ishiwata tube set, or if I'm remembering it wrong. What's the full text on that sticker?

Anyway, its the same tube set on my Prestige up above in post 115, and it weighs about 25 lbs as currently built, so, not too heavy. The component set on your bike is pretty heavy, as non-fixie points out.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 10-24-15 at 05:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.