Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What could possibly go wrong?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What could possibly go wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-23, 02:50 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
OT , but still funny . Ahem .

Last edited by markwesti; 09-01-23 at 02:58 PM.
Likes For markwesti:
Old 09-01-23, 03:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,924 Times in 6,105 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti
"Be One With Your Bike!"

Be one WHAT with your bike?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-01-23, 03:41 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Repack Rider
Why walk when you can Le Run?

#6 Grab bar--I see no possible bad consequences to having that poking out the front of the saddle. Nope, not a one.
Old 09-01-23, 05:53 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
There's yet another style of swing bike. https://www.americasbikecompany.com/...gkingelite.htm

Likes For Korina:
Old 09-01-23, 07:20 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
No collection of this sort would be complete without the most bogus bicycle product ever to have soaked up millions from investors.

That would be the Alenax, with the "Transbar" drive system, pictured here. As bogus as it looks, I found out from just one ride that it is even more bogus than I had already thought. Yet it appeared at multiple trade shows, with expensive brochures, and foxy models in Spandex riding stationary versions in the enormous booth.

So it was basically a treadle-pedal design build with what looks like leftover Erector Set parts? (And yes, I am dating myself.)

The treadle designs died out a long time ago (like somewhere around the 1890s, if memory serves). You don't suppose there was a reason for that, do you?
Old 09-01-23, 08:35 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
There's yet another style of swing bike. https://www.americasbikecompany.com/...gkingelite.htm

"Currently Unavailable"? Egads.
Old 09-01-23, 10:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
I've skate sailed with a somewhat similar sail. But no attachment to the sail besides hands and body lean. And simple skates. (You do have to know how to skate.) Skate sailing can be very fast. My dad, who was very good, was clocked by police radar at 60. I've probably done 45.

Big safety plus - the sail usually aerodynamically eases your falls and falling on ice is road rash free.
Old 09-01-23, 11:03 PM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
So it was basically a treadle-pedal design build with what looks like leftover Erector Set parts? (And yes, I am dating myself.)

The treadle designs died out a long time ago (like somewhere around the 1890s, if memory serves). You don't suppose there was a reason for that, do you?
Each side of the rear hub had a ratcheting gear. One side reloaded (noisily) while the other side drove.. Shifting gears was accomplished by moving the attachment point on the upper arm of the treadle. When you did it, it felt like you just broke something.

With the power delivered by both feet one crank length in front of the bottom bracket, if you got out of the saddle the front end was so heavy, you couldn't pull the front wheel up over a dime on the street.
Old 09-04-23, 08:04 AM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
If you stood on the pedals, goodbye any semblance of accuracy. It was not particularly easy to read on the go, as the bubble would move forward or backward with any and all accelerations and decelerations, regardless of grade. Only if you were maintaining a constant speed did it give a discernable reading. It was mainly a novelty, not exactly useless but not particularly useful, either. At least it didn't cost much.
I thought about that myself. These days, most people carry a three axis accelerometer (i.e. smartphone) around. Trouble is that unless you're moving at a steady pace and in a linear fashion, there's no accuracy. Sadly, my current cheapie (I refuse to buy an expensive device given the fragility and longevity) doesn't have a barometer, so I look at Google earth pro for a guess at the day's climbing. I might get a Motorola soon that has the barometer and a compass, but it'd be still far from a flagship.

Last edited by MooneyBloke; 09-04-23 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-04-23, 10:01 AM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Why walk when you can Le Run?

This one's back! https://halfbikes.com/

Old 09-04-23, 10:02 AM
brianinc-ville

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
A buddy's dad built a sail-bike attachment when we were kids. His had the sail in front, with a boom you had to lift over the handlebars to come about. Unsafe at any speed!
Old 11-23-23, 02:08 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,041 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
"Currently Unavailable"? Egads.
Yeh, but there’s a sign up for when the 2021 model becomes available!
Old 11-23-23, 07:14 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
How does / did it work?
rear A arms were angled, slap the control to the right and the right rear wheel dipped causing the trike to go right. Pretty ingenious. The problem was the play in the bushings. Go on a descent and near terminal speed wobble.
other problem was it was low slung, drivers crossing a sidewalk did not see the vehicle.
one of those industrial designed concept products that would never be tolerated by the lawyers today. Would never have made series production.
Old 11-23-23, 08:24 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti
Funny, but you know that's not a real product, right? This is a novelty/prank empty gift box. There are many to choose from.

Bicycle Seat Belt Prank Gift Box, Wrap Your Real Present in a Funny Authentic Prank-O Gag Present Box | Novelty Gifting Box for Pranksters
Old 11-23-23, 08:40 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts

That Item is a motorcycle steering damper. Massive overkill on a bicycle but these steering dampers are quite useful on motorcycles in various forms of competition and have been around for a very long time in friction and hydraulic configurations. I run as a guest of Southern California Timing Association at El Mirage dry lake (https://scta-bni.org/el-mirage-general-info) land speed events, 131 miles per hour on a old Harley street bike isn't to bad for an old man. The steering damper in the photo is a more modern configuration then the one shown above, I wouldn't run without one.

Untitled by nemosengineer, on Flickr

: Mike
Old 11-25-23, 11:30 AM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Even Stupid ideas take a lot of Passion , Dedication ,Man Hours and probably some Whiskey .
Likes For Manny66: