Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Empire State Ride 2019

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-19, 05:05 PM
rains15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Empire State Ride 2019

Has anyone ever participated in the Empire State Ride?
Old 04-17-19, 12:56 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by rains15
Has anyone ever participated in the Empire State Ride?
No, but it sounds amazing. Wish the idea of getting back in the saddle the day after a long ride wasn't so inconceivable.

Hope you have a great time!

Last edited by UniChris; 04-17-19 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-17-19, 10:56 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
link?
Old 04-17-19, 02:55 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
link?
I googled it and found it quickly. Looks cool, though transporting bikes from Buffalo back to NYC seems to be a variable, not standard option.
Old 04-18-19, 06:00 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Ah, yes, I found it.

Empire State Ride - A fully supported cycling adventure to end cancerEmpire State Ride

You have to raise minimum $3500 in donations (to benefit cancer research) plus registration fee that I can't even find.

I admire the ability some people have, to hit up friends and acquaintances etc for donations, but I just don't have it. I cannot bring myself to ask other people to pay for my vacation. Frankly, I don't even understand the logic of it.
Old 04-18-19, 10:24 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by rhm
Ah, yes, I found it.

Empire State Ride - A fully supported cycling adventure to end cancerEmpire State Ride

You have to raise minimum $3500 in donations (to benefit cancer research) plus registration fee that I can't even find.

I admire the ability some people have, to hit up friends and acquaintances etc for donations, but I just don't have it. I cannot bring myself to ask other people to pay for my vacation. Frankly, I don't even understand the logic of it.
I previously posted to this thread, "Little rant: I hate charity events..."
Originally Posted by canklecat
Frankly, I don't participate in those paid events anymore because they're expensive, there are local charities such as food banks and homeless shelters that could put my meager cash to better use directly, and most such events are either promotions for the local economy or indulgences for cyclists who want a new jersey or memorabilia.

All of which is fine. Just not my thing anymore. I did enough of those years ago.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I’ve read that the reason such athletic events as Charity Rides, Swims and Runs are popular is because the value of the benefit received by the participant is near zero, and thus the entire donation is tax-deductible.

For example if one attends a gala fundraising dinner, the cost of the dinner is not tax-deductible...

Here in Massachusetts the premier fund-raising Ride with an expected donation of around at least about $3500 is the Pan Massachusetts Challenge (Pan-Mass, PMC), about 150 miles in two days to benefit the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

They do take your credit card number before the Ride. It may well be the largest such event in total donations.

When anyone finds out I'm a cyclist, they usually ask "Do you do the Pan-Mass?"
… Soon afterwards I caught up with a rider wearing a really cool Boston Red Sox cycling jersey, a souvenir of the 2002 Pan Mass Challenge.

As usual, when I meet a serious cyclist, I tell them about Bike Forums, of which he was unaware…

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-18-19 at 04:33 PM. Reason: added quotes about the Pan-Mass Challenge
Old 04-20-19, 12:57 PM
rains15

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, I'm so excited for it!
Old 04-20-19, 12:58 PM
rains15

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yeah, it seems like it would be a lot of fun. the crew takes care of the bikes and everything else!
Old 04-20-19, 02:08 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by rains15
yeah, it seems like it would be a lot of fun. the crew takes care of the bikes and everything else!
FYA, I posted to this Fifty-Plus Forum thread, “What do you find hardest about cycle touring now we aint spring chickens any more?”
My earliest cycling activities back in the 70s and 80s, were cycle-touring with my girlfriend-then-wife, including a honeymoon cross-country tour. Since then, I've been strictly a cycle-commuter, and sport road cyclist, mainly due to work and family lifestyle.

Last year, I avidly read the posts on BF about a perimeter tour of Lake Ontario, and I experienced some surprising mental discomfort that struck me as a sign of getting older.

While I would still enjoy riding about 50 miles a day for an extended trip, the thought of the uncertainty of finding a place to stay for the night was unsettling. (Our previous tours were all self-supported and self-guided. If I/we were to resume touring, it would at least be a credit card style, if not an organized tour.)

On that honeymoon though, finding a place to stay was a memorable part of the adventure:

I guess 30 years of a stable, predictable cycle-commuting lifestyle erodes that exhilaration of the uncertainty...
On a guided tour, I would much prefer the hotel / motel option.

This Empire State Ride is appealing, besides being close to Boston, because as a natives of Michigan, we have traversed the NY State Thruway many times over decades, and rarely got off.

But no go this year.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-20-19 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-21-19, 02:14 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
7 years ago my son rode solo from Niagara Falls to Montauk in 7 days with only 1 rest day in the middle.

Basically US Rt. 20 east to Albany, Rt. 9 south to NYC and Rt. 27 east.