Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Extra low gearing

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-20, 10:26 AM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
On Saturday I did a ride with 5000 ft of climbing. Some of the grades topped out at 20% It was a bit of a grind. Average cadence was 66, which is low for me. Average speed was 8.9 mph.

A typical ride is 95-100 rpm. Is there a way to figure out what chainring is needed to get me to 95-100 rpm on a ride like this? Currently running a 42.

Dave
You're trying to increase your cadence by about 50%, so you would need a 33% reduction in chainring. Therefore, going from 42 to 28T chainring should get you close enough.