Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My e-bike makes me feel like I'm 35 again!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-23, 11:06 AM
yeamac 
Parttime Member

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Topstone Neo SL, 2021 Tesoro Neo SL EQ, 2012 Marin Bridgeway City; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

I'm a relative newcomer to the 50 plus category, and to e-bikes having purchased my first e-bike this Spring, Cannondale, based on the lightweight, rear-hub assist Mahle X-35. Riding on level-2 assist I ride about the same pace as I did when I was 35. It feels good to turn back the clock!
Likes For yeamac:
Old 07-25-23, 11:50 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
I think e-bikes are great for this. I'm definitely getting one at some future point.
Old 07-25-23, 04:25 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Well, the motor is a pretty big elephant squatting in the corner. FWIW, there is an ebike section and BF etiquette even has folks shamelessly posting their mileage and average speed! E Bikes Enjoy
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-25-23, 06:35 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I know it's fun but it's sad to see someone throw in the towel at such a young age. You could have reasonably expected another 10-15 years of actual cycling....
I see nothing sad here.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-25-23, 07:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Missed opportunity? If someone isn't impaired, lots of good cycling can be had during those years. Also the fitness gained by suffering up hills and into headwinds likely benefits us as we age.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-25-23, 09:55 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
E-shifting should be banned! I just bought a new bike, the last generation of Domane with mechanical shifting. At 62, I say give me cables or give me death!

How I miss Roseanne Roseannadanna

Last edited by downtube42; 07-25-23 at 09:56 PM. Reason: emoji
Likes For downtube42:
Old 07-26-23, 02:47 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I know it's fun but it's sad to see someone throw in the towel at such a young age. You could have reasonably expected another 10-15 years of actual cycling....
Now our early 80s, my wife and I were having trouble keeping up with our considerably younger bike group, so three years ago we added a Cytronex C1 to our tandem. This added only about 8 lb to our already light machine, but even at the lowest assist level of about 80W,and a range of about 36 miles, we can keep up at 15-18 mph. The problem is that when riding alone, I tend to use the lowest power setting most of the time, which I'm sure has negatively impacted our fitness because of the ease of maintaining a speed of 15-17 mph, with HR <100 bpm, whereas without assist, we struggle to stay at 12-13 mph and HR >>100bpm..E-assist has certainly not negatively affected our enjoyment of cycling; in fact I think it has enhanced it in our advancing years.
Old 07-26-23, 03:55 AM
PeteHski

Missed opportunity? If someone isn't impaired, lots of good cycling can be had during those years. Also the fitness gained by suffering up hills and into headwinds likely benefits us as we age.
The type of e-bike the OP is riding allows you to suffer as much as you choose. You just go a bit faster for a given effort. It also allows more flexibility in terms of riding terrain.

Your talk of “missed opportunity” is quite ironic actually. You clearly have a fixed mindset here that prevents you from seeing it from a different perspective. I have a friend who rides both normal bikes and an e-bike (similar to the OP’s). He uses his e-bike for fast, hilly group rides where he wouldn’t be able to keep up otherwise (he’s not a natural climber) and for a long 50 km commute ride to make it into a practical training ride. He uses his normal road bike for competitive timed event rides where an e-bike would be inappropriate.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-26-23, 05:00 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by Artmo
Now our early 80s, my wife and I were having trouble keeping up with our considerably younger bike group, so three years ago we added a Cytronex C1 to our tandem. This added only about 8 lb to our already light machine, but even at the lowest assist level of about 80W,and a range of about 36 miles, we can keep up at 15-18 mph. The problem is that when riding alone, I tend to use the lowest power setting most of the time, which I'm sure has negatively impacted our fitness because of the ease of maintaining a speed of 15-17 mph, with HR <100 bpm, whereas without assist, we struggle to stay at 12-13 mph and HR >>100bpm..E-assist has certainly not negatively affected our enjoyment of cycling; in fact I think it has enhanced it in our advancing years.
I'd say this is entirely appropriate for experienced cyclists of advanced age. Several of our group have gone to ebikes for the same reason. They still enjoy the social aspect even though they can no longer do the work. This is different from a relatively young person going directly to an ebike and missing the benefits of actual cycling. JMO.
Old 07-26-23, 06:10 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
I'll be turning 67 before long. I'd have to agree with this opinion..I wish today I could ride like I did when in my early 50's, but I ride as I do at 66 and that's fine.

Thread belongs in the e-bike forum.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 07-26-23, 06:18 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Just some thoughts, I can appreciate getting help from a battery if you are older and cannot keep up with the group. I can appreciate older folks enjoying a battery powered bike riding alone in the neighborhood. What I cannot understand is getting external power and fooling yourself into thinking your speed isn't artificially driven or you have your stamina back.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 07-26-23, 06:19 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Yep, my cycling from age 50 to 70 was most rewarding. Happy to have not missed out. I agree that the thread is misplaced.
Old 07-26-23, 07:05 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
At 71, with a bad knee and heart issues, I can no longer ride with the faster groups.
I found slower groups to ride with.

That being said, I have no issues with anyone riding an e-bike (or any bike) in a responsible manner. In fact, I have a friend who is finally retiring and moving to my area. As a retirement gift, I bought her a Trek Verve+ 4S so she can ride with us. I would much rather see someone getting some "assisted" exercise and being able to enjoy the activity than to be sitting on the couch.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 07-26-23, 07:15 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Soon to be 71, the past 10 years have been my most rewarding in 50 plus years of road cycling. I pedaled, with no assist, 50,000 miles in that time, and, acquired tools and learned how to do all bike work myself. That excludes wheels, except for basic truing. I have nothing against anyone that uses any kind of electric bike, I just like riding how I ride. My 61 year old sister purchased an electric assist type bike and says it has opened up a whole new world for her. She would have never gotten into cycling if not for that. It folds and is easy to get into, out of, her vehicle. I helped her with getting a basket and bags on the bike, showed her how to get her beach stuff securely mounted, and gave her a helmet. She was using it to go to the beach and local parks and wildlife areas. No $3 an hour for parking, no entry fee into any of the park or wildlife areas. That includes state and federal areas. Also, no waiting in a long line of vehicles for that entry. I can see myself getting one if I get to where I cannot do it under my own power, with electric assist being the way I would go.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 07-26-23, 09:59 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
It would take more than an ebike for me to feel like I was 35 again.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 07-26-23, 10:49 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
\
I think I could not possibly feel a mere 35 years old again. No matter the circumstances. I am very much okay with that, and am very grateful to still be able to cycle like I do.
Old 07-26-23, 11:33 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Dude … that’s hilarious. 👍

Old 07-26-23, 11:42 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
My 61 year old sister purchased an electric assist type bike and says it has opened up a whole new world for her. She would have never gotten into cycling if not for that. It folds and is easy to get into, out of, her vehicle. I helped her with getting a basket and bags on the bike, showed her how to get her beach stuff securely mounted, and gave her a helmet. She was using it to go to the beach and local parks and wildlife areas. No $3 an hour for parking, no entry fee into any of the park or wildlife areas. That includes state and federal areas. Also, no waiting in a long line of vehicles for that entry. I can see myself getting one if I get to where I cannot do it under my own power, with electric assist being the way I would go.
This. Lots of people in my hood are using e-bikes to take trips they used to take in a car. Especially trips to the beach and parks.

Not a single one of them “needed” an ebike to do it. They could have easily done the trips on a bicycle.

But the cold fact is that they didn’t. So hey … more people riding means more people understanding 2 wheeled road users means fewer nasty motorists.

But feeling 35? That’s really only a testament as to how innocuous the assist is applied. The good engineering is making it feel like you’re doing it under your own power, but of course, you’re not.

Last edited by Biker395; 07-26-23 at 11:45 AM.
Likes For Biker395:
Old 07-26-23, 01:08 PM
PeteHski

I'd say this is entirely appropriate for experienced cyclists of advanced age. Several of our group have gone to ebikes for the same reason. They still enjoy the social aspect even though they can no longer do the work. This is different from a relatively young person going directly to an ebike and missing the benefits of actual cycling. JMO.
What benefits of “actual cycling” are they going to miss out on riding this kind of e-bike? Is riding progressively slower or suffering more on group rides as we age something to look forward to? I know I’m not.

I totally get the sense of achievement from riding entirely under your own steam, but nobody else cares unless you are in competition.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-26-23, 01:19 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
Just some thoughts, I can appreciate getting help from a battery if you are older and cannot keep up with the group. I can appreciate older folks enjoying a battery powered bike riding alone in the neighborhood. What I cannot understand is getting external power and fooling yourself into thinking your speed isn't artificially driven or you have your stamina back.
I very much doubt anyone would be fooled into thinking like that. People I know who ride e-bikes simply appreciate the faster pace for various practical reasons eg keeping up with a stronger group or a long, hilly commute.
Old 07-26-23, 01:58 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I totally get the sense of achievement from riding entirely under your own steam...
Well that's a big plus, isn't it? Looking back on a ride and feeling good about your mileage and elevation. Sharing a hard climb with friends or a century in the rain. If you have a motor you lose all that. I enjoy puttering along and admiring the wildflowers and I'd be happy to do that on an ebike. However, looking back on the past 20 years, the most memorable cycling involved some anxiety, various degrees of suffering and a post-ride sense of accomplishment. I'm happy to have had that and hope to get more before I have to abandon.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-26-23, 04:44 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Well that's a big plus, isn't it? Looking back on a ride and feeling good about your mileage and elevation. Sharing a hard climb with friends or a century in the rain. If you have a motor you lose all that. I enjoy puttering along and admiring the wildflowers and I'd be happy to do that on an ebike. However, looking back on the past 20 years, the most memorable cycling involved some anxiety, various degrees of suffering and a post-ride sense of accomplishment. I'm happy to have had that and hope to get more before I have to abandon.
That sums it up for me.
The chase of personal fulfillment by getting out of it what I put into it.
Cycling is unique in that respect.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-26-23, 05:39 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by yeamac
I........, based on the lightweight, rear-hub assist Mahle X-35. Riding on level-2 assist I ride about the same pace as I did when I was 35.

I was never strong climbing - Level 1 and lower gears get me back to my 30s, but that was 40years ago, on steep Santa Cruz Mt roads.
Orbea X35.
Old 07-26-23, 05:45 PM
PeteHski

I can certainly relate to this, but I also realise that there are others who don’t really care about the suffering. Or have simply just had enough of it. I will probably get an e-bike at some future point and ride both, like my friend does now. Bikes and e-bikes are not mutually exclusive.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-26-23, 06:11 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by yeamac
I'm a relative newcomer to the 50 plus category, and to e-bikes having purchased my first e-bike this Spring, Cannondale, based on the lightweight, rear-hub assist Mahle X-35. Riding on level-2 assist I ride about the same pace as I did when I was 35. It feels good to turn back the clock!
Cool!

Enjoy your new bike and don't let the internet tell you you're somehow wrong for having fun on an ebike!

No apologies, no explanations, no justifications needed - ever.
Likes For jlaw:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.