Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon Wheels with Rim Brakes - Obsolete?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon Wheels with Rim Brakes - Obsolete?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 10:40 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Don’t know why the carbon rim mfgs, for rim brakes, don’t inbed aluminum or steel braking bands for additional stopping power. It wouldn’t be rocket surgery.
Actually, CF wheels with alloy braking bands are out there, available. But then you're reducing one 'advantage of CF, which is weight.
Haven't used CF wheels in the 'wet' (we don;t normally get much of that out here, except these past 2 years...), but have heard from riders I trust, that wet braking is affected, on CF rims...
To the OP...
If you really want CF because you sense some real world advantage from them, for your riding, then do get them... Especially if the current wheels on the bike are holding you back.
But it's not a money-making 'investment'; it's purely for your own best felt use.
There are also good options for some very nice alloy wheels. For example, a set of HED Ardennes can now be bought (in the US) for $700 at full price - given some discount at some time, prolly a nice bit lower cost. They're Fast, Light, Highest Quality, durable, long lasting and really light... Ride incredibly well.
on the other hand...
IF you're buying with the idea of getting a higher 'resell' price on the bike - very likely it's not gonna happen...
Fact is if you can recoup 75% of the additional cost of new wheels - on a resell - then you're doing good....
People who buy 'Used' and especially if accepting to buy 'rim brake' old tech bikes, are doing so because they want a good deal, low cost.
A 2018 Emonda ALR is NOT a classic or vintage bike. It is a good bike, but not the latest.... SO if you add a cheap set of Carbon wheels to your 600 euro ALR, you'd still need to get 1000 euro to get close to break-even. Not a money maker, possibly a bigger money loser.
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 04-24-24, 10:42 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11021 Post(s)
Liked 7,568 Times in 4,222 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I wonder if you will be able to find carbon wheels that will provide improvement at a price that makes sense for that frame. Seems you have to go over $1K to find carbon wheels that are both aero and lighter than mid-pack alloy.
$630 to $660 gets you Btlos wheels that are 35-40mm deep, have quality hubs and butted aero spokes, weigh 1300-1350g.
These are prices delivered to your door too.
And for $550, you can get 35mm deep handbuilt rim brake wheels that weigh 1440g.

It's actually pretty cool to see.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-25-24, 12:51 AM
2muchroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I have one bike left with rim brakes which I bought in 2016, my Emonda ALR and I run carbon rims in a 50mm, but I live in Florida, so flat, wind, and rain. If I know rain is a guaranty at some point during the ride, I generally would take one of the disc brake bikes, but these days, I try to avoid riding in the rain as much as possible, that is what my trainer is for. I went with the deeper section wheels to deal with the wind as uber shallow climbing wheels were wasted on me, having no climbing to do here. I personally like the aesthetic look of the deeper wheels on the bike, and since I don't have hills, the brakes over heating is also a non concern. I use the Black Prince pads and if you do get caught in the rain or ride through any deep puddles, just make sure to check your wheels and pads after the ride for excessive dirt and grime so you are not grinding the brake surface off.

I run the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 5's with Pirelli P Zero Race TLR tubeless and with these rims, they measure right at 28mm. Had them for a couple of years, and they have been great wheels. I do not get pushed around in the wind or by trucks when they blow by me. They are 19.5 internal, 27 external. With Trek trying to clear out some inventory, they are also on sale, get a set of the Pro 5's or Pro's 3's (30mm I think), for $1200 and they have a lifetime warranty. I know they have the hub body for both Shimano and SRAM, I want to say, you can get a Campy one, but you'd have to inquire.

I personally think if you like the bike, why not get what makes you happy and makes your ride more enjoyable. I put SRAM Force AXS 12 speed with a spider based power meter on it at the beginning of 2023. Was there anything wrong with the 11 speed Ultegra I had on it? Nope, worked like a champ, but I figured as a present to myself for surviving another year, why not and have enjoyed riding that bike even more.
Hey that's awesome, thank you for sharing this. Does the 2016 ALR model use the same 300 Alpha Alu frame with similar measurments to the ALR 4 and ALR 5 models? I like those wheels and wonder if they could fit on my ALR 5. Current tires on mine are 28 - 226 / 700 x 28C

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I wonder if you will be able to find carbon wheels that will provide improvement at a price that makes sense for that frame. Seems you have to go over $1K to find carbon wheels that are both aero and lighter than mid-pack alloy.
I've been checking my local trading platform for used CF wheels and I found a couple around 300 - 500€.

I'm undecided, but here are some potential candidates who I've already negotiated a reasonable price for:

Roval Rapid CLX 60 Ceramicspeed - 450€:

Oval-Conepts Carbon - 350€

Zipp Carbon 808 - 470€

EDCO Gesero Light - 520€

Xentis Mark 1 - 570€

Originally Posted by cyclezen
If you really want CF because you sense some real world advantage from them, for your riding, then do get them... Especially if the current wheels on the bike are holding you back.
But it's not a money-making 'investment'; it's purely for your own best felt use.
There are also good options for some very nice alloy wheels. For example, a set of HED Ardennes can now be bought (in the US) for $700 at full price - given some discount at some time, prolly a nice bit lower cost. They're Fast, Light, Highest Quality, durable, long lasting and really light... Ride incredibly well.
on the other hand...
IF you're buying with the idea of getting a higher 'resell' price on the bike - very likely it's not gonna happen...
Fact is if you can recoup 75% of the additional cost of new wheels - on a resell - then you're doing good....
People who buy 'Used' and especially if accepting to buy 'rim brake' old tech bikes, are doing so because they want a good deal, low cost.
A 2018 Emonda ALR is NOT a classic or vintage bike. It is a good bike, but not the latest.... SO if you add a cheap set of Carbon wheels to your 600 euro ALR, you'd still need to get 1000 euro to get close to break-even. Not a money maker, possibly a bigger money loser.
Ride On
Yuri
It's an ALR 5 and I'm hoping to get around 1.200 - 1400€ with the new wheelset, saddle and stem (which I already own).
Compared to other used Alu/Carbon bike listings in the 1.300 - 1.500€ range, which offer frames with similar weight, identical or similar groupsets but inferior wheelsets, I believe it could do alright. I should also mention that the bike itself looks brand new with almost no signs of use.

Last edited by 2muchroad; 04-25-24 at 04:37 AM.
Old 04-25-24, 02:44 AM
Ssj

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Carbon rim brake wheels without the newer textured braking surface are bad in dry and horrible in wet.

I would get a new Chinese rim brake wheel set (light bicycle, Btlos, etc) with the textured braking surface. 21mm internal and 28mm external is probably as wide as you can go. 28mm tire. Get a 45 or 55 depth wheel. Bitex hubs. Probably $700 total.

the problem with rim brakes is you can’t run 32mm tires, which are faster and more comfortable than skinner tires.
Old 04-25-24, 04:18 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,445 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Here's a CON for you (from someone who had rim brake CF wheels with the correct pads) - They don't stop in the rain. Heck, they don't stop that well in the dry.
How about a nice, lightweight set of inexpensive alloy wheels? Rouleur Alloy Rim Brake Wheelset – Boyd Cycling
These wheels are interesting. Nice modern profile with the wide rims. If I was in the market, definitely a candidate. Actually, they would be really nice on my Poprad, which fits up to 35mm tires.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 04-25-24, 04:37 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked 1,783 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by 2muchroad
Hey that's awesome, thank you for sharing this. Does the 2016 ALR model use the same 300 Alpha Alu frame with similar measurments to the ALR 4 and ALR 5 models? I like those wheels and wonder if they could fit on my ALR 5. Current tires on mine are 28 - 226 / 700 x 28C
Yea same frame base, 300 alpha and want to say the geometry is the same from 2016 to 2018. The wheels would fit your bike.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-25-24, 08:11 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 97 Posts
Outdated in terms of braking performance and safety compared to disc brakes sure. Outdated in terms of what big brands names still produce rim brake carbon wheels unless you are going direct to consumer Chinese brands, 100%. However outdated in terms of use case and practicality, no and far from it

Rim brakes wouldn't be my first choice and carbon rim brakes IMO are a complete avoid, but they are far from dead I just think if you are still in that market you will need to be buying used wheels, Chinese wheels from places like Winspace, or places like Hunt which frankly are just Chinese wheels with a UK/US distributor
Old 04-25-24, 09:47 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3187 Post(s)
Liked 1,725 Times in 1,043 Posts
Geez, I'm a 240lbs Clyde who rides CF rim brakes in the rain down hills big enough to generate speeds close to 50mph and where modulation is a must, and have done it without problem. I haven't done rain-soaked, 30min descents where I'm bombing between switchbacks, but if that's the limitation, I'll take it, because that constitutes roughly 0% of my riding. For the rolling terrain of my home and the hillier areas I go to ride, the CF rim brakes are sufficient, even in the rain. My wheels, though, are the latest Winspace Hyper 2023, so older CF rims may not deliver the same kind of performance.

It probably takes some skill to get the best results from CF rim brake, too-- it seems simple, but some people really don't brake well and seem not to understand the physics of braking-- so from an ease-of-use perspective discs are better in that regard as well, being more tolerant and forgiving of poor technique.

The notion that CF rim brakes are unridable, though, is utterly ridiculous.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-25-24, 10:58 AM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
Yes, I've heard conflicting reports about reduced brake performance in rainy conditions, thanks for sharing.

Apparently, as already pointed by slow rollin, the pads need to be specifically rated for use with carbon. That "should" resolve the issue, however I myself cannot comment. Can you confirm?

I spent a lot of time finding the cheapest but lightest bike/frame possible, so I want to add the maximum amount of value/performance by getting CF wheels.
I have not ridden in wet conditions, but I find that my carbon wheel rim brakes (Winspace Hyper wheels) stop at least as good as and I’d say even better than the rim brakes on my vintage bike with Campagnolo Record brakes and aluminum alloy tubular tire rims.
Old 04-25-24, 10:58 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3496 Post(s)
Liked 3,637 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by Ssj
I would get a new Chinese rim brake wheel set (light bicycle, Btlos, etc) with the textured braking surface. 21mm internal and 28mm external is probably as wide as you can go. 28mm tire. Get a 45 or 55 depth wheel. Bitex hubs. Probably $700 total.
Agreed. I recently replaced an old Reynolds wheelset with new Winspace HYPER wheels, and the braking power is much better.

Less expensive than HYPER wheels are the Routte models. The Winspace site shows their 45mm rim brake Routte wheels are in stock. The cyclisthub website includes a 10% discount code for Winspace wheels.

Old 04-25-24, 11:02 AM
2muchroad

Originally Posted by chaadster
Geez, I'm a 240lbs Clyde who rides CF rim brakes in the rain down hills big enough to generate speeds close to 50mph and where modulation is a must, and have done it without problem. I haven't done rain-soaked, 30min descents where I'm bombing between switchbacks, but if that's the limitation, I'll take it, because that constitutes roughly 0% of my riding. For the rolling terrain of my home and the hillier areas I go to ride, the CF rim brakes are sufficient, even in the rain. My wheels, though, are the latest Winspace Hyper 2023, so older CF rims may not deliver the same kind of performance.

It probably takes some skill to get the best results from CF rim brake, too-- it seems simple, but some people really don't brake well and seem not to understand the physics of braking-- so from an ease-of-use perspective discs are better in that regard as well, being more tolerant and forgiving of poor technique.

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm on the bigger side myself and a lot of people have cautioned me not to use rim brakes, especially with CF wheels. I adjusted the 105 brakes so that the pads are positioned very close to the wheel, requiring only a very slight pulling of the lever for them to grab on. I imagine the same would be possible with CF wheels. I've used a bunch of different disc brakes with MTBs before, and I have to say that in comparison I don't really notice all that much difference in stopping power while moving at regular speeds. However, when coming to a complete stop instantly, while traveling at higher speeds, that's when I clearly notice the superior braking power of disc brakes.

Anyway, I'm most likely pulling the trigger on those Zipps for 470€.
To be perfectly honest, the added value and performance will be nice, but personally I just love how freaking awesome they look.
There is just something about that when a rider passes you with those sick looking CF wheels, I love it.

Old 04-25-24, 12:03 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2685 Post(s)
Liked 3,217 Times in 1,696 Posts
personally I'd go for those Rovals, much more versatile at that depth. the 1080's are deep enough to be cumbersome in some situations. what is the external width of the Rovals?
Old 04-25-24, 12:36 PM
2muchroad

Originally Posted by TMonk
personally I'd go for those Rovals, much more versatile at that depth. the 1080's are deep enough to be cumbersome in some situations. what is the external width of the Rovals?
External width is 28mm I believe, so they'll fit my frame. I like the Rovals too, but the guy says he rode 5,000 - 6,000km + Training on them. I know that's not a considerable amount, but I stillI feel somewhat uncomfortable given that they are CF. I also think the Yellow won't go well with my matte grey frame.

A lot of these sellers are practically giving away CF wheels that cost north of 2,000€ a year or two ago, for almost 60 - 70% off. That's kinda making me suspicious, tbh. Even if the outside of the wheels doesn't have any damage or tears, there is no real way for me to be certain with just a visual inspection. That's another downside with those and I don't wanna find out on a hill.

The Xentis seller just went down to 500€ now. So in total I'd spend 600 on the ALR 5 and 500 on wheels.

I have to do some research on those kind of wheels without spokes though. Anything in particular to be aware of?
Old 04-25-24, 01:20 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1988 Post(s)
Liked 1,502 Times in 1,042 Posts
Geez, I'm a 240lbs Clyde who rides CF rim brakes in the rain down hills big enough to generate speeds close to 50mph and where modulation is a must, and have done it without problem.
Almost 50 mph! Which brake pads do you recommend?

My wheels, though, are the latest Winspace Hyper 2023, so older CF rims may not deliver the same kind of performance.
That's the issue. 2muchroad appears to be looking at much older wheels.

Exactly.
Old 04-25-24, 02:07 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1457 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 376 Posts
The poor braking of cf rims with rim brakes is way overstated. I’ve descended the Gavia in the Snow and rain at race pace and live to tell the tail.

braking in the wet is the one place that discs really do have and advantage. But with good pads, well adjusted brakes, and good technique ( squeegy the brakes before you actually need to apply them) cf rim brakes will work fine.

That said, it’s pretty much academic at this point. The market has spoken and everything is going to disc. So I’m not rushing out to replace my 13lb Willier with a heavier bike with disc brakes, next time I buy a new road bike it will have discs.

Time marches on.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 04-25-24, 02:25 PM
2muchroad

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
That's the issue. 2muchroad appears to be looking at much older wheels.
Yeah, I don't have the cash for anything super recent.

But I've finally found two sets that I really like. Swiss Side and DT Swiss RRC, fits my frame's color scheme, 560€ (Side) and supposedly never touched the road. The RRCs have 2000km on them and go for 460€. I'm going over there tomorrow to check them out and make sure they'll fit my bike. Total weight is 1.3kg (Side) or 1.4kg (RRC), plus ALR 5 frame 2.4kg, plus 5.5kg rest. I'm extremely excited. Gonna post pictures tomorrow.

Likes For 2muchroad:
Old 04-25-24, 02:45 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 240 Posts
By "obsolete," if you mean not sold much for high end use, then I would say yes. But if you mean don't work very well, then I would say no. My LightBicycle wheels have a special "graphene" (whatever that is) textured track and work just fine. However, I have not tried them in the wet, 'cause as a friend advised me, "being retired means never having to ride in the rain." I use the LB brake pads that I bought with the wheels.

Likes For bblair:
Old 04-25-24, 03:10 PM
2muchroad

I am as impressed with those nice wheels as I am with the CYCLE plate. Nice.
The blue accents look awesome, I want my wheels to fit the color scheme as well, but I can only go grey/black.
What frame is that btw?
Old 04-25-24, 05:06 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1988 Post(s)
Liked 1,502 Times in 1,042 Posts
Total weight is 1.3kg ([Swiss]Side) or 1.4kg ([DT Swiss] RRC), plus ALR 5 frame 2.4kg, plus 5.5kg rest. I'm extremely excited. Gonna post pictures tomorrow.

The stated weights are fantastically low for such deep wheels. CF freehubs?
Old 04-26-24, 12:15 AM
2muchroad

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
The stated weights are fantastically low for such deep wheels. CF freehubs?
Thought so too. Maybe that's 1.3kg per wheel afterall, but that would seem a little high. Apparently, the RRC ones are Chinese rebrands.
Old 04-26-24, 01:34 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Thought so too. Maybe that's 1.3kg per wheel afterall, but that would seem a little high. Apparently, the RRC ones are Chinese rebrands.
Chinese rebrands? Do you mean counterfeit?
Old 04-26-24, 01:48 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2014 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
$630 to $660 gets you Btlos wheels that are 35-40mm deep, have quality hubs and butted aero spokes, weigh 1300-1350g.
These are prices delivered to your door too.
And for $550, you can get 35mm deep handbuilt rim brake wheels that weigh 1440g.

It's actually pretty cool to see.
What's the popular lightweight aluminum rim and hub combo to build nowadays? It's been a while since I've investigated the lightweight side of the market.

The last set of lightweight wheels I built was with Kinlin rims on some crazy light hubs from Poland, but that was years ago.
Old 04-26-24, 01:52 AM
2muchroad

No not counterfeit. The seller told me this line is completely manufactured in China under a different brand and shipped over plain.
Old 04-26-24, 02:36 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

No not counterfeit. The seller told me this line is completely manufactured in China under a different brand and shipped over plain.
Oh, that’s good. I still don’t understand, though; so these ate real DT Swiss RRC 65 Dicut, but because they’re manufactured in China, they’re different from other DT Swiss RRC 65 Dicut? That seems strange, and how do consumers differentiate between versions of the wheel model? Is this true across all DT Swiss wheels? Are the China made ones better since they’re lighter? And what about the hubs?

Sorry for all the questions, but I’ve never heard of this before, and my gut says it’s a bad, fishy deal for consumers, so I want to understand.
Old 04-26-24, 02:53 AM
2muchroad

I'm not an expert on this either, he just told me that the RRC line as a whole uses a manufacturing process and materials exclusively sourced from a major Chinese factory that supplies or re-distributes the exact same wheels under a different Chinese brand. So the wheels are the same, but Swiss allegedly just rebrands them. I didn't research this, but it sounds plausible tbh. Not saying that anything Chinese made is inherently bad quality though, that's kind of just a racist stereotype now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.