Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Struggling with Hills

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Struggling with Hills

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 11:54 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I hate to quibble with such a fine post, but some actually find the mash approach to hills easier than the spin. I'd suggest some trial and error to figure out what works better for the OP, but probably after they work on their general fitness a bit.
I used to mash in my 30s, now at 57 I spin (my knees just mouthed a "thank-you").
Old 08-30-19, 11:54 AM
tmxkn1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you workout in Gym, try practising on those spinning machines. They allow you to adjust force you use to pedal.
Old 08-30-19, 12:07 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Spinning up hills is all but impossible for brand new riders, they lack the aerobic fitness to maintain higher climbing cadences for more than a minute, if even that. Oft times the only way up the hill is to drop to a very low cadence and get up non-aerobically.
Old 08-30-19, 02:03 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
To echo what others have said: your gearing is fine; just keep going up and eventually you'll get there. There is no shame in stopping and taking a break, or even walking part way up. Many of us have been there and done that.

Part of doing hills is psychological. If it's a longer climb, it can help to break it into small chunks rather than looking all the way to the top. This can also help for keeping track of where you run out of steam, which can help with pacing the next time.
Been there, done that. Buttermilk Lane is a challenging climb, especially when you're still building your legs. What I would do is find a landmark 50 yards ahead and huff and puff my way there, and if I had anything left I'd keep going to another landmark; stop catch up with my breathing, lather, rinse, repeat. The day I rode up Buttermilk without stopping was one of the prouder days of my life.

When it's really steep, I'm not too proud to get off and walk, which is itself exercise.
Old 08-30-19, 02:05 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I hate to quibble with such a fine post, but some actually find the mash approach to hills easier than the spin. I'd suggest some trial and error to figure out what works better for the OP, but probably after they work on their general fitness a bit.
My experience is that some people power up hills well and some spin up well. I pick my spots. Depending on the length and pitch of the climb, I will spin or power. I am not a great climber. Let me amend that....I am mediocre at best. But, spinning up every climb or powering up every climb can be a disaster for me.
Old 08-30-19, 02:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
My experience is that some people power up hills well and some spin up well. I pick my spots. Depending on the length and pitch of the climb, I will spin or power. I am not a great climber. Let me amend that....I am mediocre at best. But, spinning up every climb or powering up every climb can be a disaster for me.
I vary my approach as well, depends on how tired I am, headwinds, if there's a treat at the top of the hill....
Old 08-30-19, 02:18 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
I go to Colorado almost every summer. I see cyclists quit on climbs while they still have easier to spin gears at their disposal.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 08-30-19 at 02:22 PM.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 08-30-19, 02:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Korina
Been there, done that. Buttermilk Lane is a challenging climb, especially when you're still building your legs. What I would do is find a landmark 50 yards ahead and huff and puff my way there, and if I had anything left I'd keep going to another landmark; stop catch up with my breathing, lather, rinse, repeat. The day I rode up Buttermilk without stopping was one of the prouder days of my life.

When it's really steep, I'm not too proud to get off and walk, which is itself exercise.
If the road allows it, creating your own switchback pattern back and forth sometimes works. I certainly will do that on a steep gravel path.

The problem I had with stopping on a hill when I first came back to riding was just how hard it was to start going again without momentum.
Old 08-30-19, 02:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I go to Colorado almost every summer. I see cyclists quit on climbs while they still have easier to spin gears at their disposal.
I think if the altitude has gotten to you, it's probably not going to work to spin at any gearing.
Old 08-30-19, 02:28 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

If the road allows it, creating your own switchback pattern back and forth sometimes works. I certainly will do that on a steep gravel path.

The problem I had with stopping on a hill when I first came back to riding was just how hard it was to start going again without momentum.
Yep. Buttermilk Lane has too much traffic, sadly.
Old 08-30-19, 02:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Korina

Admit it, at some point you had to be hearing "I think I can, I think I can" in your head, right? At least I do if the hill gets long enough.

Way to stick with it!
Old 08-30-19, 03:14 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Admit it, at some point you had to be hearing "I think I can, I think I can" in your head, right? At least I do if the hill gets long enough.

Way to stick with it!
In my head, yes. Didn't have enough breath to say it out loud.
Old 08-30-19, 03:18 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I think if the altitude has gotten to you, it's probably not going to work to spin at any gearing.
Yep. I found this out on Haleakala.
Old 08-30-19, 03:23 PM
*Scuba 
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
The altitude is no joke, I flew into Aspen one year for the food and wine festival from sea level, so no time to adjust. Just jogging 50 feet to catch a hotel shuttle made me feel like I just ran an all out 400 meter dash on that first day. But, after two days I was fine.

Snowmass and Aspen are beautiful, I will go back one of these days. Hopefully do a little bit of cycling next time.
Old 08-30-19, 04:00 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
It never gets easier, you just go faster.
At least have the courtesy to give attribution for the quote. I’m pretty sure it was from Greg LeMond. Thanks.
Old 08-30-19, 04:04 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
some actually find the mash approach to hills easier than the spin.
Not the ones who are good at climbing. They spin.
Old 08-30-19, 04:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Not the ones who are good at climbing. They spin.
And NBA players dunk. Doesn't mean it works for everyone. Besides, great climbers mix it up a bit.
Old 08-30-19, 04:34 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
As I recall Greg LeMond was a masher not a spinner on climbs and he did fairly well.
Old 08-30-19, 06:05 PM
zarbog

Bikes: Giant SLR GX1 Toughroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I started riding last July at 68 years old. Gentle hills killed me and it was granny gear and 6 kilometers per hour. Had to stop and catch my breath at the top of hills. Maybe 3% grade and a quarter mile long. 1900 kilometers later, I climb those hills at 22 kilometer per hour without dropping speed. It's still hard, but it's amazing how much faster you become after a while, and how far you can go in a single ride.
Likes For zarbog:
Old 08-30-19, 06:36 PM
Zuzus pedals

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Jan Ullrich and Thomas Voeckler mashed bigger gears than most of their rivals. I remember Ullrich using his TT bike and staying in aero position in a tall gear with a slow cadence on a lot of the TT up Alpe d'Huez in the 2004 TdF. It looked like he was going slow, but he posted the fastest time until Lance beat it by 1:01. Voeckler would get out of the saddle for fairly long periods, jumping up and down on the pedals with a slow cadence (definitely not what you'd call "dancing") and violently rocking the bike.

Last edited by Zuzus pedals; 08-30-19 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 06:53 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts

Way to stick with it!
I usually try to specifically think about anything other than the hill, haha
Old 08-30-19, 07:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by zarbog
I started riding last July at 68 years old. Gentle hills killed me and it was granny gear and 6 kilometers per hour. Had to stop and catch my breath at the top of hills. Maybe 3% grade and a quarter mile long. 1900 kilometers later, I climb those hills at 22 kilometer per hour without dropping speed. It's still hard, but it's amazing how much faster you become after a while, and how far you can go in a single ride.
This is my favorite post of the day!
Old 08-30-19, 07:16 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Zuzus pedals
I remember Ullrich using his TT bike and staying in aero position in a tall gear with a slow cadence on a lot of the TT up Alpe d'Huez in the 2004 TdF.
Ullrich used about an 80 cadence in the Alps d'Huez 2004 TT. 80 is a higher than average climbing cadence for a Euro pro in a stage race, which is about 70.

His 80 cadence only looked slow when compared to Armstrong, who used a 100 cadence.

Old 08-30-19, 07:26 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
To amplify what others have said about fitness, I do fully loaded (camping and cooking gear and warm and cold weather clothing) touring in the hilly/mountainous west (and east) with a 46 x 36 x 24 and an 11-34 cassette. (Until a few years ago my smallest chainring was a 26.) So your gearing is already low for unladed riding. With that said, you should be able to drop to a 24 with little expense if you really want to. Same for Lois.
I’m going to disagree with you and others about fitness. Most of this discussion is of the HTFU kind of advice (Look it up, bygeorge). I, too, do loaded touring and I have for decades. There is nothing wrong...and everything right...with having gearing that is low. It’s not a sign of weakness to have low gears nor to use them. This bike

IMG_3144 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

now has a 44/34/20 crank with an 11-36 cassette. It’s not “fitness” but “smartness” when it comes to gearing that matters. That gearing came in handy here

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

My touring bike and my dual suspension mountain bike both have similar gearing and it comes in handy a lot of the time.

bygeorge: Go ahead and get lower gearing. From the information you’ve given, I suspect you cranks have 104/64mm bolt circle diameters. You should be able to put a 22 tooth gear on both cranks. You can work on fitness and have smart gearing at the same time.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-30-19, 07:36 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by bruce19
As I recall Greg LeMond was a masher not a spinner on climbs and he did fairly well.
Everybody mashed the climbs back when Lemond was racing. They had to—the gearing was huge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.