Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tire Recommendations -- 27"

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-19, 09:06 AM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts

Please forgive me if this has been answered many times. If so, I can't seem to find a definitive answer, only tidbits here and there.
I know that tire options on a 27" are limited, but is there a common favorite that people use? I'm normally a road bike guy and have my favorites in that arena, but kind of ignorant in my knowledge of all things touring.
I would be putting these on my newly acquired 86 Schwinn Voyageur. There seems to be quite a bit of room for a beefier tire, but I'm not finding much in 27" inch online.
Thanks!!
Old 12-18-19, 11:24 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ce-thread.html
Old 12-18-19, 02:34 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

You are awesome Bill! Thank you!
Old 12-18-19, 03:05 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,216 Times in 2,363 Posts
I've used the Pasela for touring and it's a pretty good tire. Check with your local bike shop as well. Quality Bicycle Products (QBP) offers several different models and widths.

On the other hand, it's not that hard to modernize your Voyageur to a 700C. The bikes of that era were often designed to use both with adjustment of the brake pads. It would solve the tire issue.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-18-19, 03:17 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
All below regarding 27" tires.

I have a pair of Gatorskins I like a lot, particularly for a road bike feel.

I would also seriously consider Schwalbe Marathons. I've only done a test ride on the regular marathons, but have had several sets of Schwalbe Marathons of different flavors and have never had a flat or a problem on them.

Vittoria Zafirro's are also good and inexpensive. Though I consider them a 1 year tire due to rubber cracking between the tread and sidewall (on several pair).

All these can be found at biketiresdirect.

Last edited by stevel610; 12-18-19 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-18-19, 03:25 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
I have a pair of Gatorskins I like a lot, particularly for a road bike feel.

I would also seriously consider Schwalbe Marathons. I've only done a test ride on the regular marathons, but have had several sets of Schwalbe Marathons of different flavors and have never had a flat or a problem on them.

Vittoria Zafirro's are also good and inexpensive. Though I consider them a 1 year tire due to rubber cracking between the tread and sidewall (on several pair).

All these can be found at biketiresdirect.
I like the Schwalbe Marathon tires though they can be tight to mount on some rims. Tighter than Paselas, anyway. They are not light, but the are durable.
Likes For desconhecido:
Old 12-18-19, 04:15 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Thanks to all for the additional replies. I know that if the gatorskins are anything like the road bike gatorskins, they are great, but slightly heavy.
Old 12-18-19, 06:02 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure
Thanks to all for the additional replies. I know that if the gatorskins are anything like the road bike gatorskins, they are great, but slightly heavy.
I've never tried the gatorskins but have heard they are flat and cut resistant. I've also read comments by others implying that they don't ride well. One comment I remember was that they ride like "garden hose." I'm not sure what garden hose rides like, having never tried it, but I believe the comment was not intended as complimentary.
Likes For desconhecido:
Old 12-20-19, 12:51 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
I've never tried the gatorskins but have heard they are flat and cut resistant. I've also read comments by others implying that they don't ride well. One comment I remember was that they ride like "garden hose." I'm not sure what garden hose rides like, having never tried it, but I believe the comment was not intended as complimentary.
Some garden hoses are quite supple
Old 12-20-19, 02:07 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate at all to use a 27" Gatorskin if staying on asphalt or flat compacted trails.