Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'71 Raleigh International Garage Sale Find

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

'71 Raleigh International Garage Sale Find

Old 11-17-19, 12:08 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg

...The frame suffers from the poor cosmetics that a lot of early 70's Raleigh frames came with: file marks on the lugs and where the stays and fork blades join the dropouts and so on.

...What I found was there was NO standard for geometry on the International!...I found the same kind of discrepancies on some Pros and Competitions.
You gotta pick and choose your bike boom Raleigh, or get it for dirt cheap.

One of the odder things is that I currently have several Gran(d) Sport(s) - a Gran Sport, a Grand Sport, and a Grand Sports. The deals look almost identical, but are a bit different (excluding the spelling differences). And these were all built in the same year!
Old 11-17-19, 08:23 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 189 Posts

I still have this '71 International. As far as I can tell, it has the original Weinmann stem, a bit of a rarity.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 11-17-19, 08:32 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
You gotta pick and choose your bike boom Raleigh, or get it for dirt cheap.

One of the odder things is that I currently have several Gran(d) Sport(s) - a Gran Sport, a Grand Sport, and a Grand Sports. The deals look almost identical, but are a bit different (excluding the spelling differences). And these were all built in the same year!
A bit of, we cut and notched these tubes to this spec- can we do anything with them?
Likes For repechage:
Old 11-17-19, 10:11 AM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy

I still have this '71 International. As far as I can tell, it has the original Weinmann stem, a bit of a rarity.
Yeah, that's a beaut. I know the dating is a little murky with these, and I suspect I might have a '72. The date code is 71, but I saw a brochure on Sheldon Browne of a 72 and it had the white Carlton brake hoods and slotted levers like mine. Also, the parts sped for the 72 lists a GB stem and no name bar, I believe. So who knows.
Old 11-17-19, 10:14 AM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

That's great! I like the blue; I've got a Soulcraft Groundskeeper in a really similar color, and I just think it's the most gorgeous machine.

Is that a 650B conversion? New brake bosses?

Gugificazione indeed!

Oops! I'm still figuring this out. That was meant for the blue Raleigh of N Lerner.
Old 11-17-19, 10:25 AM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by gugie
I'm clearly hanging around the wrong neighborhoods in Portland!

Welcome to the forum, and know that we're able and willing to help out with getting that beauty on the road.

I'm in SW, a mile or two west of Multnomah Village.
Thanks Gugie! I moved to SW Portland a few years ago, and the garage sales are not quite as plentiful as they are on the Eastside, but when they're good, they're great. This was up behind the A-Boy on Barbur.

N Lerner posted that beautiful blue International that you did. Are you a frame shop? Paint shop? Everything shop? Looks good.
Old 11-17-19, 10:25 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,635 Times in 2,600 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobLee
That's great! I like the blue; I've got a Soulcraft Groundskeeper in a really similar color, and I just think it's the most gorgeous machine.

Is that a 650B conversion? New brake bosses?

Gugificazione indeed!

Oops! I'm still figuring this out. That was meant for the blue Raleigh of N Lerner.
Thanks! Yes, 650b x 42mm wheels and fenders with ample clearance, braze-on MAFAC centerpull brakes, internal wiring, custom front rack, various additional bits and bobs, i.e., the full @gugie! Color was meant to approximate a Rene Herse blue.
Old 11-17-19, 10:51 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Yeah, that's a beaut. I know the dating is a little murky with these, and I suspect I might have a '72. The date code is 71, but I saw a brochure on Sheldon Browne of a 72 and it had the white Carlton brake hoods and slotted levers like mine. Also, the parts sped for the 72 lists a GB stem and no name bar, I believe. So who knows.
Substitutions were par for the course back then. My '71 has the original wheels - Weinmann tubular rims and cad or zinc plated spokes- your choice. Not chrome, not stainless. A fellow on the next block from me when I was young had one with the steel/ alloy stem, chrome plated spokes. ( I would sit on his wheel on the way to junior high school, me on a Sting-Ray... oh, he was perplexed. He did not comprehend I was riding 200-250 mikes a week to train yo race. )
GB all alloy stem on mine.
obviously some spec on these was constant- the Campagnolo parts, Weinmann brakes,
everything else even the lugs were subject to change.
Old 11-17-19, 11:13 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Thanks Gugie! I moved to SW Portland a few years ago, and the garage sales are not quite as plentiful as they are on the Eastside, but when they're good, they're great. This was up behind the A-Boy on Barbur.

N Lerner posted that beautiful blue International that you did. Are you a frame shop? Paint shop? Everything shop? Looks good.
My publicist has done a bang-up job of describing what I do. There are a few of us on the forum that own a torch, do repairs, make mods, racks, some even make full frames. I do this as a hobby job right now, looking forward to retirement in a few years so I can do it kind of full time.

I can round up some C&V people's for a weekend ride in the countryside. I'm right off the beginning of the Fanno Creek trail, a few blocks from the Garden Home Rec Center.
Old 11-17-19, 11:15 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
My Raleigh is the little brother to these . A first year 1977 Competition GS bought from the original owner who never rode it. It had little scratches from being moved from Cupertino to Solvang California. It still has the bike shop sticker “Stan’s Cyclery” just down the way from Cupertino Bike Shop. I love the bike after changing the RD to Nuovo Record . Joe. joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 11-17-19, 11:50 AM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by nlerner
Thanks! Yes, 650b x 42mm wheels and fenders with ample clearance, braze-on MAFAC centerpull brakes, internal wiring, custom front rack, various additional bits and bobs, i.e., the full @gugie! Color was meant to approximate a Rene Herse blue.
Here's my blue machine. It's a little darker maybe? I built the wheels in the mid 00's when color was in style. After building them I remembered how much I hate deep rims! I still like the color, though, and they match the frame decals really well. It's nowhere near Gugifazzione, but it works for me.

Old 12-29-19, 08:01 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Well, the Ranger pickup in the background needed a clutch - that only took a month and a half! Couldn’t stand the wait any longer, so I took a baby step. Pulled the seatpost, rubbed some Brooks conditioner into the leather, and separated the seat and post. Geeze, this stuff is clean. Not sure if the conditioner is the right thing to do, but it looks nice.

Cheap Ranger = Neglected Raleigh!

Old 12-29-19, 08:22 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
these earlier internationals are really fine frames. they have some crazy thin chainstays so be careful re-spacing them.

I think an International is a great entry point to the vintage bike hobby.

Lots of fender room and other opportunities to make it your own. Or, change it to 650B with racks to create something completely different.

Keep 'em coming !

Mark Petry
Coronado CA
Old 12-29-19, 11:52 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

I’m going to leave the rear spacing as-is for now. My first geared bike was a fifteen speed friction shifter (1985 CyclePro Skyline), and I don’t recall having any trouble enjoying that bike. (Isn’t it crazy that component manufacturers could go a couple of decades without adding a cog to the rear cluster!!) The wheelset I bought for this bike is 700c laced to a set of correct Campy hubs, so I should already have room for fenders. It’ll be interesting to see how it rides!
Old 12-30-19, 08:04 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 347 Posts
I’m going to leave the rear spacing as-is for now. My first geared bike was a fifteen speed friction shifter (1985 CyclePro Skyline), and I don’t recall having any trouble enjoying that bike. (Isn’t it crazy that component manufacturers could go a couple of decades without adding a cog to the rear cluster!!) The wheelset I bought for this bike is 700c laced to a set of correct Campy hubs, so I should already have room for fenders. It’ll be interesting to see how it rides!
I probably wouldn't mess with the spacing, either, but I do like six speeds. Fortunately, it's dead simple to throw a Suntour Ultra freewheel on there, which is the same width as a normal-five speed. They're not exactly a dime a dozen, but not hard to find at all. I'm sure you could get Pastor Bob to build you one in in any tooth counts you want.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 12-30-19, 11:43 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
That's a beauty and a killer deal...a doppelgänger of the International that I toured across Europe on in 1976. I'd love to have another but haven't stumbled onto a reasonably priced one yet.
Old 12-30-19, 03:02 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4508 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Well, the Ranger pickup in the background needed a clutch - that only took a month and a half! Couldn’t stand the wait any longer, so I took a baby step. Pulled the seatpost, rubbed some Brooks conditioner into the leather, and separated the seat and post. Geeze, this stuff is clean. Not sure if the conditioner is the right thing to do, but it looks nice.

Cheap Ranger = Neglected Raleigh!

You gotta put something on ones that are cracking that bad, they all should be treated lightly and regularly.

Looking at the front by the rivet, this one would become a display specimen if it was mine. It is likely the original as it is an open nose version. It could last many more miles or it could blow up tomorrow, I would try to avoid the latter.

You can dab some shoe polish on the scar at the front rivet as well to diminish that as well.

Oh and welcome aboard, glad you found us.

Last edited by merziac; 12-30-19 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-30-19, 03:48 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

An open-nosed original! Good to know. It’s so cool to learn all of this stuff. Thanks, everyone. I’d heard that about old Brooks, and I’m not that keen on having metal rivets anywhere near my nether regions, so I’ll probably ride it around the block and then hang it on the wall.
Old 12-30-19, 05:36 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Has nobody mentioned the doubled up TA water bottle cage yet? Heck, those things are worth as much as you paid for the whole bike.
Great find. Great bike in wonderful condition.
You just need some new brake cable housings, Jacob.
Old 12-30-19, 05:40 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I’m not that keen on having metal rivets anywhere near my nether regions, ....
This made me chuckle. Heck, between the members here we've all put probably millions of miles on those Brooks Pro saddles.
I never worried about the rivets, personally.
Still think those old Pros are the best saddles ever made.
Old 12-30-19, 07:33 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by rootboy
This made me chuckle. Heck, between the members here we've all put probably millions of miles on those Brooks Pro saddles.
I never worried about the rivets, personally.
Still think those old Pros are the best saddles ever made.
Yeah, I’m sure they’re great. I’ve always wanted to try one. I gotta say, though, all the pics of Brooks saddles with the noses tilted upward make me nervous. Testicular cancer took my left one when I was thirty, so I have a complicated relationship with bike seats! Why does everyone point the nose up? Also, I’ve always loved to ride off-road, where you tend to move around in the saddle, so I like padding everywhere. Still, I’m sure I won’t be able to resist buying a new Brooks for this bike! I just can’t imagine my usual WTB on there!
Old 12-30-19, 08:12 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Yeah, I’m sure they’re great. I’ve always wanted to try one. I gotta say, though, all the pics of Brooks saddles with the noses tilted upward make me nervous. Testicular cancer took my left one when I was thirty, so I have a complicated relationship with bike seats! Why does everyone point the nose up? Also, I’ve always loved to ride off-road, where you tend to move around in the saddle, so I like padding everywhere. Still, I’m sure I won’t be able to resist buying a new Brooks for this bike! I just can’t imagine my usual WTB on there!
The nose up is from upright riding positioning to keep weight off tired old wrists. I ride them all the time, new, old, worn, broken in and not and everything in between, never any problem and count myself lucky. The sliding around on them has always seemed like part of the magic to me, minimal friction and fatigue along the way = priceless and painless, relatively.

Last edited by merziac; 12-30-19 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-30-19, 08:17 PM
merziac

An open-nosed original! Good to know. It’s so cool to learn all of this stuff. Thanks, everyone. I’d heard that about old Brooks, and I’m not that keen on having metal rivets anywhere near my nether regions, so I’ll probably ride it around the block and then hang it on the wall.
We also have a resident saddle cobbler who makes new leather for saddles when they do blow up and you want it replaced.

Paging rhm
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-30-19, 08:28 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Check out this old Brooks

It doesn't look like yours is that bad, but the holes in the leather around the rivets on the end of the cantle do look to be tearing a bit.

added: we have two saddles that have been redone by RHM and, like everybody else, we are more than satisfied with his work.
Likes For desconhecido:
Old 12-31-19, 10:44 AM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by rootboy
Has nobody mentioned the doubled up TA water bottle cage yet? Heck, those things are worth as much as you paid for the whole bike.
Great find. Great bike in wonderful condition.
You just need some new brake cable housings, Jacob.
I tell ya, the amount of info I’ve gathered from this forum is amazing. Those cages sure do look like cheap 70’s crap to the untrained eye. I had a feeling they were something cool, just because the whole bike has a feeling of quality and originality, but I had no idea. They were just laying on the pile in the driveway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.