Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Trek Domane 2020

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-20, 08:05 PM
Emilio700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 20 Posts
My 2020 Domane gravel build

https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...vel-build.html

Likes For Emilio700:
Old 02-07-20, 01:07 AM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
The problem I have with all TREK machines is their bottom bracket. Press fit is a wallet lock. Great bikes but I only buy and spend on machines that have a screw in BB.

Plastic bikes (which is what carbon fiber frames are ... plastic) with press fit BB's are not going to be machines that last and work well without lots maintenance on that BB. Their aluminum frames may last. Their plastic ones will not.

I do not consider the Domane a Gravel bike. The front fork rake, the geometry. the headset angle, the inability to run a 650b x 47 wheel set makes it a road bike that can be used off road in some conditions but hardly a true Gravel Bike.
Old 02-07-20, 09:32 AM
Emilio700

The 2020 Domane uses a T47 threaded bottom bracket. A bit heavier but.. fantastic. I'm using a Wheels Manufacturing BB in mine.
Likes For Emilio700:
Old 02-07-20, 12:13 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
The problem I have with all TREK machines is their bottom bracket. Press fit is a wallet lock. Great bikes but I only buy and spend on machines that have a screw in BB.

Plastic bikes (which is what carbon fiber frames are ... plastic) with press fit BB's are not going to be machines that last and work well without lots maintenance on that BB. Their aluminum frames may last. Their plastic ones will not.

I do not consider the Domane a Gravel bike. The front fork rake, the geometry. the headset angle, the inability to run a 650b x 47 wheel set makes it a road bike that can be used off road in some conditions but hardly a true Gravel Bike.
I won't disagree with you on the gravel comment, but there is nothing wrong with Trek BB set up. I have a bit more than 22,000 miles on my Domane and have replaced one bearing (one side not both) and it was the bearing that failed nothing to do with the press fit in the frame.

Last edited by srode1; 02-07-20 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-07-20, 07:01 PM
Emilio700

Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
You you might want to review the pro endurance geometry version before finalizing that opinion.

I don't consider 650bx47 clearance mandatory for a gravel bike. 700x42c is as much as many serious gravel racers will ever run. For me the 20 Domane with Pro geometry is a gravel race bike which is something of a different beast than a bike packing or beginner gravel bike.
Old 07-04-20, 03:03 PM
onlybirdman

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All,

I've been considering the Gen 3 Domane or a titanium gravel bike that can take up to 40mm tires. I've heard that once the tire pressure decreased to a certain point, the IsoSpeed's contribution to comfort is relatively negligible. The gravel trail next to my house has many bridge joints, gaps, and other sharp bumps that jolts my MUD pretty good. A ti gravel bike would be more versatile. While I would definitely trade versatility for IsoSpeed's comfort, but not if it is negligible with 38 or 40mm tires. Would like to know everyone's thoughts on that. Thanks!
Old 07-04-20, 04:03 PM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by onlybirdman
Hi All,

I've been considering the Gen 3 Domane or a titanium gravel bike that can take up to 40mm tires. I've heard that once the tire pressure decreased to a certain point, the IsoSpeed's contribution to comfort is relatively negligible. The gravel trail next to my house has many bridge joints, gaps, and other sharp bumps that jolts my MUD pretty good. A ti gravel bike would be more versatile. While I would definitely trade versatility for IsoSpeed's comfort, but not if it is negligible with 38 or 40mm tires. Would like to know everyone's thoughts on that. Thanks!
If you can live with the tire size limits and geometry of the Domane, then why not use it as a gravel bike? You need to read through Emilio700’s thread, very interesting. If you must have the tire clearance and geometry of a true gravel bike then look elsewhere. I’ve already crossed light gravel to get to another wonderful chip and seal road without any issues. This is why I bought my Domane.
Old 07-05-20, 09:43 AM
onlybirdman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ilbiker
If you can live with the tire size limits and geometry of the Domane, then why not use it as a gravel bike? You need to read through Emilio700’s thread, very interesting. If you must have the tire clearance and geometry of a true gravel bike then look elsewhere. I’ve already crossed light gravel to get to another wonderful chip and seal road without any issues. This is why I bought my Domane.
Yes, Emilio700 provided many great info. I actually left similar question on another forum where Emilio700 also posted. I don't have all that much against Domane, mainly just geometry, and that's just nitpicking. If Domane can have a longer front center for more stability and avoid toe overlaps, that would be perfect.
Old 07-05-20, 10:43 AM
Emilio700

If you are looking for a more race oriented geometry, look at the optional Pro Endurance geometry through project one. Only available with the SLR.
Old 07-05-20, 03:39 PM
onlybirdman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, not sure if that was towards me. I was actually looking for a more relax geometry. Anyways. My main question is more on its comfort with lower tire pressure around 35PSI. Are the IsoSpeed decouplers still contributing to comfort at those low tire pressure?
Old 07-05-20, 03:57 PM
Emilio700

Originally Posted by onlybirdman
Hi, not sure if that was towards me. I was actually looking for a more relax geometry. Anyways. My main question is more on its comfort with lower tire pressure around 35PSI. Are the IsoSpeed decouplers still contributing to comfort at those low tire pressure?
Of course, more shock absorption is more shock absorption. Low pressure does a good job of absorbing low amplitude, high frequency stuff. ISO is focused on the high amplitude stuff, basically big hits.

I have run the wheels off of my road bike on the Domane. So without intending to, I got a good comparison between a standard road frame (Cervelo S5 disc) with the road wheels, the SLR with the same road wheels and the SLR with fat gravel tires.
Old 07-06-20, 07:32 PM
Captain266

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why not get a Trek Checkpoint SL5?
Old 07-06-20, 08:21 PM
pattrick

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Kind of like the bike....

I recently purchased the SL5 and have been quite pleased. The iso- suspension does smooth the chip seal and the cracked roads very well. The big hits are still big hits. I run mine primarily on the road but have no problems running it through the fields [grass] and the horse trails[packed clay]. Rail trails of varying composition are taken in stride. I jumped after learning it no longer has a press fit bottom bracket. It handles wonderfully as a road bike and seems to climb very well. Overall I have been pleased. It serves well for my gravel needs. As long as your not running huge chunk gravel for long stretches 38's are quite capable. I prefer to run 32's and they handle my needs well without losing much on the roads. The bike just seems to be a great compromise for some one who likes to venture off the road now and then yet wants performance on the road. It may not be perfect for everything but it's damn fine for alot of things. Good luck with deciding!
Old 07-11-20, 07:19 AM
milan4ever

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
what a hot bike 🔥

Originally Posted by Emilio700