Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Continental Terra Speed and Terra Trail

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Continental Terra Speed and Terra Trail

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-20, 12:33 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by srode1
Flats suck out there - I met a guy last year that had to put in a tube after being on track for a top 100 finish and had 5 more flats with the tube - I gave him one so he could finish (he was carrying his bike). I'd like to hear from people running those on flint rock before making a choice to use them for DK this year. I used SK+ last year too and they definitely had a ride quality and rolling resistance penalty for the flat protection.
Are all the flats in the rear? Would it be worth it to put the tougher tire on the rear?
Old 02-12-20, 12:34 PM
chas58

Thanks for posting the article, it's a good read. I was surprised they used 3.5 Bar for there testing (around 50psi), seemed like a very high pressure for gravel when most people are running low 40's for 40mm tires. The only tire on the list I have used is the Panaracer SK (mine were the plus version). The continentals having snake bite as a weakness seems more of a problem for B roads than A gravel. Probably not a good tire choice for rough courses like Dirty Kanza.
They used inner tubes for everything. Kinda explains that...
They did test all the major brands though. Tons of good info in there.
Old 02-12-20, 01:26 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
They used inner tubes for everything. Kinda explains that...
They did test all the major brands though. Tons of good info in there.
And that takes care of the snakebite issue of the Terra Speed.

I might have to order a pair. Not gonna lie, just by looking at them I wouldn't have guessed they were fast. Knobs != speed in my brain.
Old 02-12-20, 01:43 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by shoota

I might have to order a pair. Not gonna lie, just by looking at them I wouldn't have guessed they were fast. Knobs != speed in my brain.
Me too. Interestingly, the G-one All around is faster than the Speed, and The aggressive Terra bite is faster than the bite. Certainly, if you can hear the knobs, its slowing you down though.
Old 02-12-20, 01:48 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Flats suck out there - I met a guy last year that had to put in a tube after being on track for a top 100 finish and had 5 more flats with the tube - I gave him one so he could finish (he was carrying his bike). I'd like to hear from people running those on flint rock before making a choice to use them for DK this year. I used SK+ last year too and they definitely had a ride quality and rolling resistance penalty for the flat protection.
What tires was he running? I also have the Terra Trails, which are also good, more aggressive and only a touch slower than the Speeds, and still have the 43mm SK+, but I really don't like those. lol I'm going to be talking with some local folks who have done DK to get their tips too. My biggest goal is to keep mechanicals to a minimum, mental game is strong and training should support a good effort out there.
Old 02-12-20, 01:59 PM
Rides4Beer

Makes sense with a more supple casing. I run them tubeless, so no worries there. Haven't had any issues and I've smashed some rocks pretty hard at 37/38psi.

Me too. Interestingly, the G-one All around is faster than the Speed, and The aggressive Terra bite is faster than the bite. Certainly, if you can hear the knobs, its slowing you down though.
I'm trying to make sense of that, since they weren't in the test, but the graphic shows 25w with a tube, since the Speed was tested with a tube, then it would still be faster. Which I guess would put the Speed around 18-19w tubeless.
Old 02-12-20, 04:58 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
What tires was he running? I also have the Terra Trails, which are also good, more aggressive and only a touch slower than the Speeds, and still have the 43mm SK+, but I really don't like those. lol I'm going to be talking with some local folks who have done DK to get their tips too. My biggest goal is to keep mechanicals to a minimum, mental game is strong and training should support a good effort out there.
I didn't really see what he was running, just tossed him a tube and a C02 cartridge and rode on. I used WTB Nano's the first 3 times on DK200, only one puncture on the rear one time, which the sealant fixed and I didn't even notice till 2 weeks later when I got around to cleaning the bike. Those 3 times were on the course heading South which is not as brutal as the North course IMHO. Last year headed North I used SK+ and no flats.
Old 02-13-20, 09:06 AM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer

I'm trying to make sense of that, since they weren't in the test, but the graphic shows 25w with a tube, since the Speed was tested with a tube, then it would still be faster. Which I guess would put the Speed around 18-19w tubeless.
go look at the specs of the Speed 40c v the AA 40c the 40c AA is a lighter duty tire. The smaller 30c Speeds would look closer for the One v-guard at the same pressure.

if you start digging in with these results and BRRs numbers, it looks like the casing makes a 2-3w difference (road perf v the next step more durable) and the knobs add 2w per “step”.

Last edited by jfranci3; 02-13-20 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-15-20, 05:44 PM
jfranci3

Heads up, these are 38c tires marked as 40c. They measure 38mm across on my Stans Grail 20mm int rim. Unless you are a 25mm interior wheel, you're not getting 40mm.

Gk SK 43c measure 43mm on these tires, so the sizes was quite visibly different than what I was expecting.

Last edited by jfranci3; 02-16-20 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-15-20, 07:31 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Are all the flats in the rear? Would it be worth it to put the tougher tire on the rear?
He didn't say where they all were. the only puncture I have had (which sealed right away) was on the rear.
Old 02-16-20, 07:53 PM
jfranci3

Just got a ride in on these -
They ride really nicely, roll a step better than my GK SKs, and you won't instantly flip over if you touch mud or snow like you do with the GK SKs. I'm give them 4-stars out of 5 so far, the ****ty sizing (marking vs actual & avb sizes) is the only downer.
Old 02-16-20, 08:41 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by jfranci3
Heads up, these are 38c tires marked as 40c. They measure 38mm across on my Stans Grail 20mm int rim. Unless you are a 25mm interior wheel, you're not getting 40mm.

Gk SK 43c measure 43mm on these tires, so the sizes was quite visibly different than what I was expecting.

Good pic. I'm guessing some of the speed comes from the shape of the tire. It's not flat across like a lot of gravel tires, it stands more proud in the center.
Old 02-18-20, 12:54 PM
chas58

Good feedback, and good to know on sizing.
FYI, I have seen tires stretch over time (i.e. a couple of days vs new) and some are noticably bigger at max PSI. Personally, I can not fit a 40mm tire that measures over 40mm, so this would work for me. Looks very interesting. Wonder if they will come out with a variety of sizes like Schwalbe (don't see how they can not do that given the growth in this area).
Old 02-18-20, 01:38 PM
Rides4Beer

FYI on durability, no punctures at all, but doesn't look like they're going to last very long, guess that's the tradeoff for a fast tire. I have prob 5-600 miles on them and the rear is showing significant wear (not that the tread is very tall to start with). A lot of that is pavement tho, I was waiting on my new road bike to get built so I was using the gravel bike with the Terra Speeds for all of my normal riding.
Old 02-19-20, 12:13 AM
Cyclist0114

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for many information! I'm interested in these tires, but not sure what size should choose.
My bike is CX and real max width is about 37/38 mm - so probably 35c is the best option but... you wrote, that 40c is real 38c.
I use DT R460b 18 mm inner width rims
Old 02-19-20, 09:19 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by lukasamd
Thanks for many information! I'm interested in these tires, but not sure what size should choose.
My bike is CX and real max width is about 37/38 mm - so probably 35c is the best option but... you wrote, that 40c is real 38c.
35s, no doubt.
Old 02-19-20, 09:47 AM
jfranci3

Originally Posted by lukasamd
That extra 3mm is a big deal off road basically everywhere. The tire will float better of soft stuff, you can run lower tire pressures for faster speeds on rough stuff, and they can deflect more on irregularities.

I'd say get the 40c and mount them dry on your wheels. They mount easily with just a floor pump box they come in isn't that hard to open, keep everything in new condition , and return in perfect condition if the fit isn't great. Won't be a big deal to the retailer if you need an exchange. Mount the rear. Make sure there's +2mm of clearance to the side of the seat stay.

Another idea would be to buy one 40c, try it on the rear, and if it doesn't work run 35c rear / 40c front. Most CX forks can take the 38mm tire no problem - the restriction is trying to allow road gearing, a road Q-factor/chainline crank, a seatstay, and a wide tire in the same space.

Last edited by jfranci3; 02-19-20 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-19-20, 12:34 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by jfranci3
Another idea would be to buy one 40c, try it on the rear, and if it doesn't work run 35c rear / 40c front. Most CX forks can take the 38mm tire no problem - the restriction is trying to allow road gearing, a road Q-factor/chainline crank, a seatstay, and a wide tire in the same space.
That is what I did on my old CX bike. Rather a no risk solution. I found the wider tire tended to rub against the frame under high torque, so put a smaller one on the rear.
Old 02-28-20, 07:54 PM
GravelGurty

Bikes: '97 Raleigh C-200 '19 Specialized Sirrus X Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Received a set of 40mm terra speeds today. They mounted/sealed very easily to my new GRX wheelset with my floor pump. They've been holding air for a few hours with no sealant so far. They measure out at 38 currently, pretty excited to get cassette/rotors swapped and try out.
Old 03-03-20, 02:46 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by GravelGurty
Received a set of 40mm terra speeds today. They mounted/sealed very easily to my new GRX wheelset with my floor pump. They've been holding air for a few hours with no sealant so far. They measure out at 38 currently, pretty excited to get cassette/rotors swapped and try out.
Same. I hope mine stretch out just a touch over time. (And don't flat)
Old 03-03-20, 03:57 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Terra Speeds mounted in Enve G23 (23mm internal width) measure 39.1mm. By comparison my 40mm WTB Nano TCS tires measure 41.5 on those wheels. As I remember the Gravelking SK+ 38mm tires measured 39mm on these rims too.

Looking at the two tires unmounted, it's clear the bead to bead width with the tires spread out flat is narrower on the Terra Speeds, by 4 to 5mm. I doubt they will stretch out over time (if they did they would be weaker I would think). They should probably not be called 40mm tires dimensionally from what I can see but they may well ride as well or better than 40mm tires.
Old 03-07-20, 08:17 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Yup... Fast, grippy, supple, but narrow.
Old 03-08-20, 01:48 PM
shoota 

Man, so far so good. Quick Review:

Specs: Did a nice mixed route 50 mile ride yesterday so I got a good feel for them. Each weighed 405g. That's 75-100g/each lighter than my other tires (Terreno Dry 40mm and GKSK 40mm). They measured 38.7mm on my 23mm ID wheels. They set up tubeless very easily, big bonus there.

Experience: They roll with almost no hint of knobs on pavement. This was the one place I was really curious of how they roll, and they felt really fast. And of course they were fast on hard pack dirt roads. They gripped decently on looser gravel climbs, but not as great as I would have guessed (I had HIGH hopes here so take that with a grain of salt, they were just as good as any other tire I've tried). The back tire was a touch loose on fast descents while applying power. Nothing crazy but I found that a little strange. Cornering was great. I purposely went into a few turns hot enough to make my butt pucker but neither tire even so much as skidded a centimeter. That was awesome. I ran them at 38psi and I had to double check a few times to see if the rear was going flat. It wasn't, they're just that supple. Really nice ride feel, ESPECIALLY for a 38mm tire. If these prove to be durable, which only time will tell, then they have a good shot at being the holy grail gravel tire we've all been seeking.
Likes For shoota:
Old 03-10-20, 09:06 AM
Rides4Beer

Man, so far so good. Quick Review:

Specs: Did a nice mixed route 50 mile ride yesterday so I got a good feel for them. Each weighed 405g. That's 75-100g/each lighter than my other tires (Terreno Dry 40mm and GKSK 40mm). They measured 38.7mm on my 23mm ID wheels. They set up tubeless very easily, big bonus there.

Experience: They roll with almost no hint of knobs on pavement. This was the one place I was really curious of how they roll, and they felt really fast. And of course they were fast on hard pack dirt roads. They gripped decently on looser gravel climbs, but not as great as I would have guessed (I had HIGH hopes here so take that with a grain of salt, they were just as good as any other tire I've tried). The back tire was a touch loose on fast descents while applying power. Nothing crazy but I found that a little strange. Cornering was great. I purposely went into a few turns hot enough to make my butt pucker but neither tire even so much as skidded a centimeter. That was awesome. I ran them at 38psi and I had to double check a few times to see if the rear was going flat. It wasn't, they're just that supple. Really nice ride feel, ESPECIALLY for a 38mm tire. If these prove to be durable, which only time will tell, then they have a good shot at being the holy grail gravel tire we've all been seeking.
I noticed the same thing, they squish more at the same pressure, I thought the same thing at first and had to double check my pressure. Did 50 miles on the Terra Trails on Sat and they were great at 38psi, even on the pavement (saving my Speeds for some upcoming races, since they're wearing fast, then I'll get a new set for DK).
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 03-10-20, 10:45 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Not sure if it really matters but there is a direction of rotation arrow on the sidewalls even though the tread is not directional. Thought I would mention it for anyone who hadn't noticed. (ignore if someone else already posted, I didn't see it posted).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.