Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Trek Domane+ LT or Specialized’s Creo SL?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-20, 02:39 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/domane-plus-lt/

https://www.specialized.com/US/en/turbo-creo-sl

Which one would you choose and why?
Old 03-25-20, 06:29 PM
lazurm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Which ebike (actually a pedelec)?

They are both great choices but I'd go with the Creo SL because, in the U.S. (where I live) the assist goes to 28 mph, important for me. It also seems that the Specialized motor is more shielded from the elements. And, if it matters, it can fit 42mm tires on 700c rims (Trek's max is 38). I also like Specialize's "Mission Control" app which has more features, and more important features (at this time) than Trek's. The lit controller on the top tube is more fine tuned than Trek's and, unless I am mistaken, Trek doesn't offer an easy to mount battery extender. Specialized motor is 75% efficient while Fazua's is 50%, important for range.
Old 03-29-20, 11:03 PM
Watchdog

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Blizzard (stolen), Haro Roscoe (sold), Giant TCX Rabobank, Cervelo RS, Rocky Mountain Altitude

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the Creo Comp E5 because it was available in aluminum (so I can clamp onto the top tube for a car rack if necessary). The Domane isn't available in aluminum so the price difference was $6k Cdn. vs. $8,500 Cdn. for the Domane. I was stretching to get to $6k, so I went with the Creo.

There are advantages to both. I think lazurm spelled out some of the advantages of the Creo and I can confirm from actual usage that the motor in the Creo is quite efficient. I regularly ride about 50 to 60 km's and only use 22% to 29% of the battery. However that is going with a slow group, if you are hammering and have the assist on you'll burn through the battery a lot faster.

As for the Domane, things that it has that I wish the Creo had. A 2X drivetrain. I find the cassette a bit gappy and while 1X might be fine for MTB, I don't like it for the road. I also like how the Domane uses more common wheel sizes so it's easy to get a 2nd set of wheels. Both use a 148x12 thru axle in the rear and that's pretty easy to find because it's Boost spacing for mountain biking. However the front wheel is where you see quite a difference as the Domane uses a common 100 x 12, but the Creo uses 110x12, which is very hard to find.
Old 04-04-20, 05:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Creo without a doubt. It looks cleaner, it can go to 28mph has a 480wh battery for longer range and a range extender battery if you want more or if you want to travel. Plus the Creo EVOs can fit a wider tire. 38mm is nice but not "massive". I also don't need to remove the drive unit. Maybe that is a benefit to some but if I want a regular road bike I would own a regular road bike as well.

I will say the Road boost is a little odd on the Specialized but White Industries and possibly others are happy to make road boost front hubs which is nice.
Old 04-05-20, 07:15 PM
Watchdog

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Blizzard (stolen), Haro Roscoe (sold), Giant TCX Rabobank, Cervelo RS, Rocky Mountain Altitude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The battery in the Creo is actually 320 wh, not 480. If you get the range extender then total capacity is 480 wh. Surprisingly I have never had range anxiety with the battery despite its' small size.
Old 04-28-20, 09:55 PM
YossiG

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Watchdog
The battery in the Creo is actually 320 wh, not 480. If you get the range extender then total capacity is 480 wh. Surprisingly I have never had range anxiety with the battery despite its' small size.
Can you get 100 mi with 6K feet elevation? Thanks!
Old 04-28-20, 10:18 PM
Watchdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know, never tried. I suspect that would probably be beyond the range of the internal battery but doable with the range extender is my guess.

The Creo is light enough that there have been times when I forgot to turn it on and I didn't notice. So I suppose in theory you could do it, just limited assist.