Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Poor shifting triple

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Poor shifting triple

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-19, 11:55 AM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Poor shifting triple

I converted a perfectly nice vintage Trek triple crank bike to brifters. The shifts are nice and clean on the 7 speed freewheel. The only fly in the ointment is the shift from granny to the middle chainring. I have to double shift to the big ring and go down to the middle. All other shifts are perfect and once on the middle ring there's no chain rub. It's a 110mm bolt pattern diameter for all rings. The chain just grinds against the big ring which keeps it from going to the middle.
My thoughts are to get a bigger middle chainring to allow it to catch on the middle without hitting the big ring. The alternative is a decent triple with all the ramps and pins. I'm trying to resell and I want it to work properly without spending a lot of money.

Last edited by Cycle Tourist; 11-11-19 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-11-19, 12:03 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
SunTour FDER with Shimano shifters?
Old 11-11-19, 12:12 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
SunTour FDER with Shimano shifters?
Yup. The alignment seems perfect once the chain is in the chainring and the shifting is fine from the big to the middle and back. The crank is a Maxy.
Old 11-11-19, 12:19 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

And you expect the cable pull ratio to be correct between 2 different brands?
Don't.
SunTour was probably friction only.
Shimano "road" & "mountain" FDER's aren't even compatible with each other.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 11-11-19 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-11-19, 12:19 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
...and it's a double not triple FD?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-11-19, 12:34 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I've been using double FDs for triples for decades.

Have you considered simply buying a modern ramped middle chainring? 110 BCD is a very common standard. Finding a 7, 8 or 9 speed ring should be easy and I'd bet all would work just fine with no other changes. You could also lower the FD on the seatpost a tad. 2mm over the big chainring at the outer FD cage's closest point is all you need.

I'd try the above before spending any big bucks. It was said many years ago that FDs are like bumblebees, in theory they shouldn't fly. They work, but often creative tweaking is needed. In this case, the exact rotation in the seat tube might be the secret. I've also been known to remove the bushing at the bottom of the cage and replace it with fewer tiny washers to narrow the bottom of the cage. (You will get more cage rub which may not be livable for you with brifters.)

Ben
Old 11-11-19, 06:35 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Another alternative would be to put back the original shifting mechanism. Never Fix A Running Piece.
Old 11-11-19, 06:51 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
That crank and front derailleur were never expected to be used with indexed shifting and the fact it shifts well between the two larger chainrings is mostly good luck. As recommended above do one or more of the following: 1) switch to ramped/pinned chainrings (particularly the middle ring), 2) switch to a proper triple compatible front derailleur 3) switch to friction front shifting or 4) learn to live with dodgy shifting from the granny to the middle.

I have four bikes all with current Shimano triple cranks and matching front derailleurs. However, I've replaced the OEM 30T granny rings on two of them with a 26T chainrings and the granny to middle shift is a bit reluctant even with all else matching.
Old 11-11-19, 07:18 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,136 Posts
Cycle Tourist,
What I am looking at in your picture is a deraileur that is just a bit high on the rings of the crankset, if you can drop it down about 1/8th of an inch it will likely perform better. As many like Bill here advise correct settings of the parts will make them work better. JMHO, MH
Old 11-11-19, 09:45 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Also swinging the tail of the FD cage a little more outward will help to press the chain against the middle chainring when shifting from the small.

you could try measuring the spacing center to center of the rings, which is typically 7.5 to 8mm. If the small ring is spaced then you could remove the spacers to bring it closer to the middle. Or add spacers to the middle ring to move it closer to the small. Din 988 washers of 0.1 or 0.2mm are $2-4 for a pack of 100.

You could also try adding a little bit more cable pull by a couple turns of the barrel adjuster to get the chain closer to the middle ring when upshifting from the then small, and then add a little more high limit screw to push the FD back to its original position when on the big ring.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 11-11-19 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-11-19, 10:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
Also swinging the tail of the FD cage a little more outward will help to press the chain against the middle chainring when shifting from the small.

you could try measuring the spacing center to center of the rings, which is typically 7.5 to 8mm. If the small ring is spaced then you could remove the spacers to bring it closer to the middle. Or add spacers to the middle ring to move it closer to the small. Din 988 washers of 0.1 or 0.2mm are $2-4 for a pack of 100.

You could also try adding a little bit more cable pull by a couple turns of the barrel adjuster to get the chain closer to the middle ring when upshifting from the then small, and then add a little more high limit screw to push the FD back to its original position when on the big ring.
"Or add spacers to the middle ring to move it closer to the small." The inner chainring and the middle are on the same bolt. So adding a washer outside the middle pushes both in the same distance. A narrower spacer between the inner and middle is what is needed.

Ben
Old 11-11-19, 10:39 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
And you expect the cable pull ratio to be correct between 2 different brands?
Don't.
SunTour was probably friction only.
Shimano "road" & "mountain" FDER's aren't even compatible with each other.
I've never had an issue before but you make a good point. I will try a fd or two before moving on. That certainly would be a easy fix. It doesn't seem to be a problem related to alignment but I'm willing to try something easy for a change.😒😁
Old 11-11-19, 10:41 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
I love dumb ideas, so here’s one: Friction Brifters! Some cottage industry folks could probably cook something up.
Old 11-11-19, 10:56 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I've been using double FDs for triples for decades.

Have you considered simply buying a modern ramped middle chainring? 110 BCD is a very common standard. Finding a 7, 8 or 9 speed ring should be easy and I'd bet all would work just fine with no other changes. You could also lower the FD on the seatpost a tad. 2mm over the big chainring at the outer FD cage's closest point is all you need.

I'd try the above before spending any big bucks. It was said many years ago that FDs are like bumblebees, in theory they shouldn't fly. They work, but often creative tweaking is needed. In this case, the exact rotation in the seat tube might be the secret. I've also been known to remove the bushing at the bottom of the cage and replace it with fewer tiny washers to narrow the bottom of the cage. (You will get more cage rub which may not be livable for you with brifters.)

Ben
Yes I have a ramped and pinned crankset which may work but it's an awful chunk of steel. If that's the solution, I may shop around.
I've tried adjusting the FD so near it got jammed trying to get to the big ring and various other distances and angles. I haven't tried the washer trick but it seems more than a little reluctant to make that particular shift and gentle tweaking doesn't feel like the answer.
Old 11-11-19, 11:03 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Another alternative would be to put back the original shifting mechanism. Never Fix A Running Piece.
Ha. I love it.. You are so right.

It seemed like a good choice... Maybe
retro and modern just don't work together. It's my first attempt at brifters and not a good start. I still think they're kinda neat.
Old 11-11-19, 11:11 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by HillRider
That crank and front derailleur were never expected to be used with indexed shifting and the fact it shifts well between the two larger chainrings is mostly good luck. As recommended above do one or more of the following: 1) switch to ramped/pinned chainrings (particularly the middle ring), 2) switch to a proper triple compatible front derailleur 3) switch to friction front shifting or 4) learn to live with dodgy shifting from the granny to the middle.

I have four bikes all with current Shimano triple cranks and matching front derailleurs. However, I've replaced the OEM 30T granny rings on two of them with a 26T chainrings and the granny to middle shift is a bit reluctant even with all else matching.
That actually gives me hope. The FD is a triple type and presumably worked just fine in friction mode. If all else fails I can always go back. There have been some outstanding ideas here that are worth pursuing.
Old 11-11-19, 11:13 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
Yes I have a ramped and pinned crankset which may work but it's an awful chunk of steel. If that's the solution, I may shop around.
I've tried adjusting the FD so near it got jammed trying to get to the big ring and various other distances and angles. I haven't tried the washer trick but it seems more than a little reluctant to make that particular shift and gentle tweaking doesn't feel like the answer.
The tweaking I'm talking about is just loosening the bolt to the seat tube clamp on the FD and rotating the whole derailleur. (Loosen the cable clamp completely and put a piece of tape on the seat tube touching the FR clamp to maintain the height.) Note where the end of the cage lies above the chain (in low gear) first.

Ben
Old 11-12-19, 06:06 AM
dsbrantjr

Originally Posted by JacobLee
I love dumb ideas, so here’s one: Friction Brifters! Some cottage industry folks could probably cook something up.
Such a thing already exists: https://www.gevenalle.com/product/audax/
Old 11-12-19, 10:18 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
Find a suitably sized middle ring with ramps and pins. It will be a mountain bike part.

That will make the shift out of the granny ring much easier. Your FD should be able to shift a ratio like that which you have installed.

I did a setup like that on my Alex Singer touring bike and what a different it made.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

Old 11-12-19, 06:55 PM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
I was having a similar problem when I was attempting to use Brifters with an older Shimano FD-M900. To overcome the hesitancy to shift to teh next larger ring, I slightly bent the inside cage plate at the front of the derailleur slightly "outward", towards the outer cage plate. I probably closed the gap between the inner and outer plates by a 1/16". This did not effect trim, just pushed the chain onto the next larger ring better. Good luck.
Old 11-17-19, 10:31 AM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Such a thing already exists: https://www.gevenalle.com/product/audax/
Oh yeah, I saw a pair of those on Craigslist recently. Anybody used them? They look a little bit like a shifter bolted to a brake lever; not really worthy of combining the two words. Maybe they're great?
Old 11-17-19, 11:03 AM
dsbrantjr

Originally Posted by JacobLee
Oh yeah, I saw a pair of those on Craigslist recently. Anybody used them? They look a little bit like a shifter bolted to a brake lever; not really worthy of combining the two words. Maybe they're great?
They are exactly shifter bosses attached to a brake lever. Several folks on this forum use them and apparently like them. No ratchet/pawl mechanism to break or jam like brifters, and simple (and cheap) to repair so great reliability for touring. If you change to a different-speed cassette you just have to swap out the shifter part, or do nothing if you have the friction type.
Old 11-17-19, 02:50 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The SunTour Cyclone front derailleur works fine with a triple. But if the OP is trying to make it work with an indexed shifter, that may be the problem. The Cyclone pre-dates indexed shifting by many years, so if ther cable pull matches that of the shifter it would be sheer coincidence.

My advice would be either to use a friction shifter for the front derailleur or replace the front derailleur with a modern unit that matches the shift lever.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-17-19, 03:00 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The SunTour Cyclone front derailleur works fine with a triple. But if the OP is trying to make it work with an indexed shifter, that may be the problem. The Cyclone pre-dates indexed shifting by many years, so if ther cable pull matches that of the shifter it would be sheer coincidence.

My advice would be either to use a friction shifter for the front derailleur or replace the front derailleur with a modern unit that matches the shift lever.
As pointed out 6 days ago in posts 2 & 4. But.......
Old 11-17-19, 06:10 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123

I like these suggestions!

I was thinking possibly he could tweak teh cage a bit (maybe you can tell I'm not a professional!). on the bottom edge of teh inner cage plate where the cage presses on the chain to effect an upshift to middle, bend that area to narrow the cage just 1/32 inch. This mimics the effect of some of the multiconyour cages now made by Campy and others to get good shifting on 50/34's and wide-range triples, in 10 and 11 speed systems. Why shouldn't it help with a 3x7?

But this is not a formulaic repair (i.e. get the correct part to match cable pull ratios, et cetera). This needs to be finessed and likely your nice FD will not be desirable except in situ as a tuned element of your excellent shifting system!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.